• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France Thread (aka Lance will run you down fools!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirBrian

Armstrong goes for his 6th straight win starting tomorrow. Will he do it?

a_lance2_il.jpg

Already some controversy:

LIEGE, Belgium - It's a valid question: Did Tour de France organizers design a course specifically to thwart Lance Armstrong's drive for a record sixth win?

The course favors some of Armstrong's strongest rivals and blunts some of his own particular strengths. But Armstrong says he believes organizers are just aiming for spectacle.

Bottom line: The five-time champion thinks the best man will win — and he's steeling himself for his hardest Tour yet.

"The race will be tight, will be very tough to win," he said from Liege, where the three-week race begins Saturday.

So, where are the pitfalls?

Pick your spot. The 2,100-mile route has some Armstrong rivals licking their lips in anticipation.

The biggest changes are in time trials, races against the clock where Armstrong usually excels.

New rules limit the amount of time squads can lose in the team time trial on Day 5. That could hurt Armstrong because his winning U.S. Postal Service team last year used the demanding and technical event to open up hefty gaps over rivals.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040702/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_tour_de_france

Pimpwerx

Pfft. They can't stop him on the hill climbs. He may not win the green jersey,,,or is it the striped one? Whatever, he's great on climbs and fast in the trials. That's something Indurain couldn't do, and he was awesome. He was a pretty average climber. Lance will kill 'em in the hills again. PEACE.

AirBrian

Here's the top competitors:

JAN ULLRICH: The German won in 1997 but has since been a four-time runner-up, including three times to Armstrong. Last year saw their closest race yet, with Ullrich losing by just 61 seconds. Ullrich also placed second in 1996, his first Tour, showing great promise that he has yet to truly fulfill. The 30-year-old will tie Dutch rider Joop Zoetemelk's record of six second-place finishes if he's runner-up again. He has a strong new team, says he is at his "ideal weight'' and is determined to win. Armstrong rates him as his biggest rival.

IBAN MAYO: The 26-year-old Basque rider finished sixth last year, a vast improvement over his 88th place on his first Tour in 2002. One of the few riders to have bettered Armstrong in the mountains, he won the arduous Alpine stage to the L'Alpe d'Huez ski station in 2003. Armstrong expects him to win the stage again this year. His team fared poorly in the team trial last year, losing more than three minutes to Armstrong's U.S. Postal Service. Should be helped this year by new rules that will limit losing squads' losses in that event. Mayo suffered a blow two days before this Tour when one of his teammates failed a pre-race blood test and was barred, leaving his squad one man short.

TYLER HAMILTON: A former Armstrong teammate, Hamilton proved his mettle by riding most of last year's Tour with a double-fractured collarbone suffered in a crash on Day 2. He still won a stage and placed fourth overall. Now leader of the Swiss team Phonak, he says last year's feat boosted his confidence for this Tour. While lacking Armstrong's explosive acceleration in climbs, Hamilton is strong all around, both in mountains and on the flat. "I guess I have a diesel engine,'' he says.

IVAN BASSO: The Italian rates Armstrong and Ullrich as the main contenders but still could produce surprises of his own. Seventh last year, he says he wants to attack this year. But he also says that he expects to be fighting Mayo and Hamilton for third place. At 26, has youth on his side. Says his ambition is to win Tour in the next two or three years.

ROBERTO HERAS: Longtime Armstrong's right-hand man in the mountains, the powerful Spanish climber quit to lead his own team, Liberty Seguros, and could be a force to reckon with for his former leader. At a pre-race news conference, Armstrong did not name Heras in his list of main rivals -- a possible sign that the Texan doesn't want to talk up his new rival's chances.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_yl...slug=ap-tourdefrance-rivals&prov=ap&type=lgns

Would be cool to see him pull off a sixth win. He deserves it. He's an amazing inspirational person, netting five wins after being nailed with cancer. Astounding.

Jimmy Carter said:
Would be cool to see him pull off a sixth win. He deserves it. He's an amazing inspirational person, netting five wins after being nailed with cancer. Astounding.

I dunno if he deserves it, but I definatly and rooting for him and the US postal service

Shinobi

Isn't it the Subaru team now? I think the US Postal Service pulled their sponsorship after last year. Either way, go Lance...anyone who's endorsed by Subaru has to be cool.

AirBrian

Shinobi said:
Isn't it the Subaru team now? I think the US Postal Service pulled their sponsorship after last year. Either way, go Lance...anyone who's endorsed by Subaru has to be cool.
Doesn't the new sponsorship by Subaru start next year?

andthebeatgoeson

I'm pulling for him. It would be great to stick it to those European spoilsports who have from the beginning, tried to stick doping charges on him. This isn't like baseball, the guy gets tested often. No positive results. It's fricken retarded how much the rumours persist.

AirBrian

Overall standings after the 1st Stage:
Code:
 1. Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland), 4 hours, 47 minutes, 11 seconds
 2. Thor Hushovd (Norway)                             .04 seconds behind
 3. Lance Armstrong (United States)                   .10
 4. Jens Voigt (Germany)                              .15
 5. Jose I. Gutierrez Palacios (Spain)                .16
 6. Oscar Pereiro (Spain)                             .19
 7. Christophe Moreau (France)                        .20
 8. Bobby Julich (United States)                      .20
 9. George Hincapie (United States)                   .20
10. Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Spain)                    .22

NLB2

Banned
That's strange. The Chicago Tribune was reporting Armstrong in second after the first stage. They said he was out of first by four seconds.

andthebeatgoeson

Maybe Airbrain meant after the 2nd stage. He was 2nd after the prologue and 3rd overall after todays stage. Although, it might just be semantics that today's was the first 'stage' or some crap. He is currently 3rd overall. Came in 40 something place today.

AirBrian

NLB2 said:
That's strange. The Chicago Tribune was reporting Armstrong in second after the first stage. They said he was out of first by four seconds.
Those standings were after the 1st Stage which also includes the Prolouge, not the 1st Stage results alone. Sorry for the confusion -- it's how Yahoo and ESPN both list the results.

skinnyrattler said:
Maybe Airbrain meant after the 2nd stage. He was 2nd after the prologue and 3rd overall after todays stage. Although, it might just be semantics that today's was the first 'stage' or some crap. He is currently 3rd overall. Came in 40 something place today.
Exactly.

Deku Tree

I'm rooting for Lance and I believe that they would change the rules in an effort to make it harder for him to win. I feel that all of Europe want's him to lose. They would not be happy if an American was the all time record holder in the Tour de FRANCE.

AirBrian

Overall standings after Stage 2:
Code:
 1. Thor Hushovd (Norway), 9 hours, 5 minutes, 42 seconds
 2. Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland),          .08 seconds behind
 3. Robbie McEwen (Austrailia)                .17
 4. Lance Armstrong (United States)           .18
 5. Jens Voigt (Germany)                      .23
 6. Jose I. Gutierrez Palacios (Spain)        .24
 7. Oscar Pereiro (Spain)                     .27
 8. Christophe Moreau (France)                .28
 9. Bobby Julich (United States)              .28
10. George Hincapie (United States)           .28

Meier

Lance Armstrong: Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur?
Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!
Lance Armstrong: Ya, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours
Peter La Fleur: Really?
Lance Armstrong: Ya, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. Good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late.
Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.
Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France 5 times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying of that's keeping you from the finals?
Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.
Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.

Best.cameo.evar.

MASB

mpoutane said:
zardoz.txt

blacksalad, i love you
That was a weird movie. Lance 18 seconds behind now. That's not far behind, but I hope he starts making up a little ground over the next few stages.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I got to meet Lance backstage at Rock for the Roses a few years ago (part of his Ride for the Roses charity thing he does every year). He was a hell of a nice guy...

Also, when I was in high school I was in his parade after his second win.. for some reason Austin ISD's insurance wouldnt let their bands march in a parade, so they had to grab schools from the burbs.

I really want him to win, badly. I wonder if he will hang it up if he gets the record.

AirBrian

ARRAS, France -- Lance Armstrong took the overall lead Wednesday for the first time at this year's Tour de France after one of the fastest time trials in race history.

His U.S. Postal Service squad dominated the highly technical and rain-soaked event that gave the Texan the yellow jersey.

Armstrong, bidding for a record sixth straight Tour title, smiled broadly as he crossed the line, riding a special aerodynamic bike and wearing an aerodynamic helmet and suit.

Armstrong's most feared rival, 1997 Tour winner Jan Ullrich, finished fourth with his T-Mobile team.

The T-Mobile squad was more than a minute behind, but new rules designed to limit the advantage that top teams gain in the event protected Ullrich to some extent. In all, the German lost 40 seconds to Armstrong's team -- still a severe setback.

Despite rain that soaked the 40-mile course from Cambrai to Arras, Armstrong's team still averaged more than 32 mph -- the third fastest time in the history of the event.

Armstrong will still be looking to the later mountain stages and individual time trials to put his rivals away for good. But the advantage gained in the team event was a major step toward yet another title.

Armstrong and four other teammates now occupy the top places in the overall standings -- a sign of the strength of the reigning Tour champion's team.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1835657

Shinobi

The new rules for the team time trials redefine the term dumb as fuck. Lance should be leading by a country mile at the moment, and it'd be the least he deserves after such a dominanting performance on yesterday's stage.

The new rules for the team time trial help out those good riders with weaker teams. As mentioned, the all-american god opened up his advantage last year because he was on a stronger team, this year, the organisers changed the rules so that the riders had to work harder to win.

This is not to take anything away from USPS, who have put in a lot of effort to get a good team, but the change in rules makes for a more interesting tour.

AirBrian

Stuart O'Grady won the fifth stage. Lance falls to 6th overall.
Code:
01. Thomas Voeckler (France), 20 hours, 3 minutes, 49 seconds
02. Stuart O'Grady (Austrailia)         3 minutes, 13 seconds behind
03. Sandy Casar (France)                         4:06
04. Magnus Backstedt (Sweden)                    6:06
05. Jakob Piil (Denmark)                         6:58
06. Lance Armstrong (United States)              9:35
07. George Hincapie (United States)              9:45
08. Floyd Landis (United States)                 9:51
09. Jose Azevedo (Portugal)                      9:57
10. Jose Luis Rubiera (Spain)                    9:59

Shinobi said:
The new rules for the team time trials redefine the term dumb as fuck. Lance should be leading by a country mile at the moment, and it'd be the least he deserves after such a dominanting performance on yesterday's stage.
it's almost as if the rules were designed to make him lose!

AirBrian

Tom Boonen won Stage 6.

Current overall standings:
Code:
01. Thomas Voeckler (France), 24 hours, 37 minutes, 30 seconds
02. Stuart O'Grady (Austrailia)           3 minutes, 1 second behind
03. Sandy Casar (France)                          4:06
04. Magnus Backstedt (Sweden)                     6:06
05. Jakob Piil (Denmark)                          6:58
06. Lance Armstrong (United States)               9:35
07. George Hincapie (United States)               9:45
08. Floyd Landis (United States)                  9:51
09. Jose Azevedo (Portugal)                       9:57
10. Jose Luis Rubiera (Spain)                     9:59
ANGERS, France (AP) -- Lance Armstrong recovered from an early fall and avoided a late crash, finishing in a pack behind stage winner and former teammate Tom Boonen of Belgium in the Tour de France on Friday.

Armstrong, trying for a record sixth straight Tour title, was thrown from his bike but not hurt in a crash involving a number of cyclists about 20 minutes into the sixth stage, a 122-mile run from Bonneval to Angers.

Armstrong and rival Jan Ullrich of T-Mobile managed to stay clear of a major wreck near the finish that involved all but about 30 riders.
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_yl...N0bQ--?slug=ap-tourdefrance&prov=ap&type=lgns

AirBrian

Robbie McEwen won Stage Nine.

Overall standings:
Code:
 01. Thomas Voeckler (France), 36 hours, 36 minutes, 31 seconds
02. Stuart O'Grady (Austrailia)           2 minutes, 53 second behind
03. Sandy Casar (France)                           4:06
04. Magnus Backstedt (Sweden)                      6:27
05. Jakob Piil (Denmark)                           7:09
06. Lance Armstrong (United States)                9:35
07. George Hincapie (United States)                9:45
08. Jose Azevedo (Portugal)                        9:57
09. Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Switzerland)          10:02
10. Eric Zabel (Germany)                          10:06

cja

That was a crazy ending to todays stage.
Cycle you two fools! Of course they kept looking behind and started playing games. 122KM in front and swept up by the whole field in the last 50 yards, suckers.

First really meaningful stage for the yellow jersey tomorrow, gonna be good :D .

Falch

Yeah, tomorrow's gonna be good. I'll be watching it live from 11 in the morning until the finish. :) I expect Virenque to try and get away with a few others (Boogerd hopefully).

Pimpwerx

Falch: Nice prediction awesome ride by Virenque too. It inspired me. I got out on my bike and started doing my usual 6-mile ride. Near the end, I got out of the saddle and started pumping the pedals. Halfway down the block, I was back in my seat winded. :D This is in flat Miami too. So, I guess a hilly stage like today's would have friggin killed me. I gotta give respect to anyone who can go 200km on a breakaway and still have enough energy to pound out a strong climb to the finish.

BTW, Voeckler did a great job at the end today. Looked lazy all day long, then tried to be crafty at the end. If Lance doesn't punish this guy soon, he might make him look foolish. I think it's good though. If Voeckler can find his climbing legs this year, it will force Lance to attack really hard. I want to see if there's anyone that can hang with him over the next half of the tour. PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, yesterday's stage had the best ending. I wanted those guys to push at the end, but they played games just a bit too soon. It must be the worst losing a stage at the line like that, but I loved the overhead shots of McEwen and the other sprinters just absolutely gobbling them up in the final sprint. Very impressive.

andthebeatgoeson

Woohoo, he's in second. 5 minutes out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840996
LA MONGIE, France -- Lance Armstrong took a big step toward a record sixth straight Tour de France crown on Friday by surging past key rivals on the first climb in the Pyrenees.

The Texan moved from sixth to second in the overall standings following a ride in which he was runner-up to stage winner Ivan Basso of Italy.

Jan Ullrich, Tyler Hamilton, Iban Mayo and Roberto Heras were among the pre-Tour contenders whose hopes of dethroning the five-time champion faded as Armstrong powered up the ascent ahead of them.

Ullrich, the 1997 Tour winner, lost 2 minutes, 30 seconds to Armstrong -- a major setback. Hamilton gave up 3:27 while Heras was 2:57 behind.

"I could tell he [Armstrong] was going to strike a big blow," said French rider Richard Virenque, who was 3:27 behind. "He stunned the favorites."

Armstrong's merciless performance on the ascent to the La Mongie ski station showed he will be hard to beat.

He is 5:24 behind French champion Thomas Voeckler, who struggled in the mountain stage but limited the damage by holding the yellow jersey.

Voeckler had been leading Armstrong by more than nine minutes before the grueling stage. He placed 41st on Friday, 3:59 behind Armstrong and Basso.

Basso, considered a possible future Tour winner, won a stage for the first time in his career. The 26-year-old cyclist captured the white jersey as the best young rider in 2002, when he placed 11th overall. He was seventh last year and hopes to win the showcase race in two to three years.

Go, Lance, Go!

Pimpwerx

Yeah, watching the replay now, and US Postal isi pushing the pace crazy. Voeckler is showing heart, but is not a climber. He's gonna get crushed in the next few stages. Still, he's done well for himself. Lance is the fucking man though. Go Lance. PEACE.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lance's cameo in Dodgeball had me LOL.... Go Lance!

Lance Armstrong: Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur?
Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!
Lance Armstrong: Ya, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours
Peter La Fleur: Really?
Lance Armstrong: Ya, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. Good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late.
Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.
Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France 5 times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying of that's keeping you from the finals?
Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.
Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.

Falch

hehe Pimpwerx, that was just a hunch. That particular track, combined with the national french holiday just meant Virenque had to attack. I've seen enough tour de france to be able to predict that. ;) Too bad Boogerd was nowhere to be seen. You can say what you want about all the drugs problems Virenque has had (had to be taken out tour de france '98) but he is still an awesome guy. In that respect, few sports are as intensive as cycling.

Today was a very impressive showing by Armstrong and Basso, and also Voeckler. I was most suprised by how easy Rasmussen was able to ride away from Virenque while going down the mountain, even though Virenque is known as one of the best in that aspect. Overall though, there were more dissappointments: Ullrich, Heras, Hamilton, Zubeldia, Boogerd and to a lesser extent Moreau and Mayo. Looks like Armstrong's six tour de france victory is a lock. He and his team are just so well trained and disciplined, noone can compete.

Then on the other hand, you never know, perhaps Armstrong has an offday tomorrow, like Ullrich had today. And there is really going to be a battle for second and third place, with many contestants. Thank god I was able to get the day of tomorrow. :D

AirBrian

skinnyrattler said:
Woohoo, he's in second. 5 minutes out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1840996

Go, Lance, Go!
Awesome!

Top 10 Overall Standings:
Code:
01. Thomas Voeckler (France), 51 hours, 51 minutes, 7 seconds
02. Lance Armstrong (USA)               5 minutes, 24 seconds behind
03. Sandy Casar (France)                5.50
04. Richard Virenque (France)           6.20
05. Andreas Klden (Germany)             6.33
06. Ivan Basso (Ita)                    6:33
07. Francisco Mancebo Prez (Spain)      6.43
08. Jakob Piil (Denmark)                6.53
09. Santos Gonzalez (Spain)             7.23
10. Carlos Sastre (Spain)               8.11

AirBrian

Lance Armstrong won the 13th stage! He's just now 22 seconds behind.

Top 10 overall after Stage 13:
Code:
01. Thomas Voeckler (France), 58 hours, 27 seconds
02. Lance Armstrong (USA)               22 seconds behind
03. Ivan Basso (Italy)                1:39
04. Andreas Kloden (Germany)          3:18
05. Francisco Mancebo (Spain)         3:28
06. Georg Totshnig (Austria)          6:08
07. Jose Acevedo (Portugal)           6:43
08. Jan Ullrich (Germany)             7:01
09. Pietro Caucchioli (Italy)         7:59
10. Sandy Casar (France)              8:29

andthebeatgoeson

Jan Ullrich, considered Armstrong's toughest rival, conceded defeat after the steep 9.9-mile climb mined with hairpin turns.

"I have rarely pushed myself so hard," said Ullrich, the 1997 Tour champ and five-time runner-up to Armstrong. "But after seven mountains and more than 200 kilometers under conditions that should really be ideal for me, I must admit: Lance appears to be unbeatable this year."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1841596

Go Lance.

Shinobi

Heh, it's funny that a few people were suggesting that Lance might've finally met his match this year, or that he was too far back to make a charge. And all he does is make up like nine minutes in two days. He clearly has a masterplan for this race, and there's no use in questioning it when it's worked five times before.

Pimpwerx

Shin: Yeah, Lance and US Postal did a great job with the tactics this tour. It looked like it was a mistake to let Voeckler gain such a huge lead, especially when it looked like he might be able to survive on the climbs. But I think Lance is just way too strong. He could probably push harder, but there's really no need.

Jan Ullrich is pretty damn good, and he's being made to look wanting right now. On Stage 13, Jan didn't finish that far back. Considering how grueling the pace was, and how splintered the field was, he kept up better than most. And he still lost a chunk of time to Lance. He'll do well in the time trials where his speed and power will come into play, but I think the tour's climbs are gonna favor Lance for a while. They were able to thwart Indurain on his 6th attempt at a tour win by modifying the stage layouts, but I don't know how they're gonna stop Lance. Maybe level the climbs. I don't think making it steeper is gonna help anyone. If it was flatter, Ullrich could keep pace better IMO. It sucks for him, b/c he could have been a 6-time tour winner by now were it not for Lance Armstrong. PEACE.

why the F**K is Ulrich using so high gears??

and why doesnt he stand up?!?

no wonder he dies.. i myself rides a racer-bike, and i know how much
your legs die if you do that.

Look at lance.. always using low gears, and have lots of power left for the big
alps!.

DMczaf

AirBrian said:
Lance Armstrong won the 13th stage! He's just now 22 seconds behind.

Top 10 overall after Stage 13:
Code:
01. Thomas Voeckler (France), 58 hours, 27 seconds
02. Lance Armstrong (USA)               22 seconds behind
03. Ivan Basso (Italy)                1:39
04. Andreas Kloden (Germany)          3:18
05. Francisco Mancebo (Spain)         3:28
06. Georg Totshnig (Austria)          6:08
07. Jose Acevedo (Portugal)           6:43
08. Jan Ullrich (Germany)             7:01
09. Pietro Caucchioli (Italy)         7:59
10. Sandy Casar (France)              8:29

He's coming for you Voeckler!!!11

btw. Voeckler is the man of the tour right now!. Im so very impressed by him!

Last days etape, omg!, what a fighter!. never gave up, just went to the finish
by pure will!. Thats a Tour-de-france winner in a couple of years!.

maybe in 2007 the winner will be Voeckler!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom