• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France Thread (aka Lance will run you down fools!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

I laughed when some Canadian Olympic official proudly boasted how the dope testing procedures were catching up to the cheaters, after the Montgomery/Jones stuff really hit the fan. I guess he forgets that the only reason anyone knows what Balco was up to was because of a tip. Otherwise no one would've known what to look for, and it's conceivable that people would've been using their shit and getting away with it for at least the next decade.

Why do I say that? Well if you've got one Balco that was doing stuff undetected before getting dimed out, who's to say there aren't any others?

I'll never say that Lance is defintely on something. But at the same time, I'm not nearly naive enough to discount that notion. Anything is possible in today's world, one where winning and money rules all.

DJ_Tet

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Second, Lance is tested as much if not moreso than the rest of the competitors. Every single test has come up clean. Sure, we can go on about how "easy" it is to cheat these tests (if someone could explain in detail, I'd appreciate it), but doesn't the evidence point toward him being clean?

It's easy to pass drug tests where they don't know what to test for. Once Balco broke, the "I never failed a drug test" flew out the window. They can't test for what they don't know exists, and if there is a Balco, there are probably five more that people don't know about and therefore can't test for.

Shinobi

Exactly. Again, that isn't to say that Lance is defintely on something. But after Balco came to light, it's impossible to say that he's defintely not on something that we're not aware of. Though even if he is, it doesn't take away from what an incredible athlete he is.

Shinobi

I'm serious. Anyone who thinks a few shots in the arm is what turns you into a world class cyclist is a fucking idiot. The same way people argue that the drivers in F1 do nothing, because the car does it all for them. That's just stupid talk...you still need to be in good shape, have sharp reflexes, and know how to drive the car to it's maximum without killing the tires too soon. Same sort of deal here...if (for arguments sake) Lance is taking some stuff, he's still gonna be a top twenty rider at this event without it (and probably top ten).

More to the point, the fitness level you need to do what, 4 hours of cycling a day for three weeks at speeds nearing 30mph, is simply beyond my comprehension. Any cyclist that gets busted with drugs, I'd only look down on them for trying to skirmish the rules. I'd never knock them for not being a real cyclist. That goes for any sport.

Christ, look at the beats per minute figures...an average of 150 for some of the riders, hitting a max of 190 BPM. That's just ridiculous.

AirBrian

kornheiser.jpg

"It's Oh-Vah!!!"

shoplifter

CYCLING_TOUR_DE_FRANCE.sff_TDF102_20040725092534.jpg

r_lance_frt.jpg

USA USA USA

Congrats to Lance, and all the other riders. Kloden, Basso, Karpets and even Voeckler are going to be incredible riders.

Falch

Perhaps not the most exciting tour de france, but most certainly an entertaining one. As a sportsman, I have the utmost respect for what Armstrong has achieved, but what he is doing to Simeoni is pathetic and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom