• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So goes through with his travel ban, goes through with his trans ban and now this pardon. This guy has to be the best President ever in the eyes of republicans.

Sure a lot of this is wrong and morally reprehensible but that's what they elected him to do.

Make no mistake, trump doing what his base wants is good for him. It will ensure they show up in the midterms and democrats won't have the votes to impeach him.

kmfdmpig

What a cowardly move. Obviously he planned this before the rally, but wanted to do it late on a Friday to minimize the media fallout.
Ridiculous.
Come on Mueller. Nail this clown.

Zophar

You can't really stop a Presidential Pardon, it has no checks or balance to it
it is perfect for Trump's ego, I bet everyone is wrong about the reasons he did this

he did this simply because he could not wait to use this new power

The check on abusing the pardon powers is impeachment, as described by the founders.

Pardoning Arpaio is clear abuse; let's hope the GOP doesn't remain derelict in its congressional duty much longer.

rjinaz

So goes through with his travel ban, goes through with his trans ban and now this pardon. This guy has to be the best President ever in the eyes of republicans.

Sure a lot of this is wrong and morally reprehensible but that's what they elected him to do.

Make no mistake, trump doing what his base wants is good for him. It will ensure they show up in the midterms and democrats won't have the votes to impeach him.

What matters is what the people think and the people are not in support of any of those things. Polling shows as much. Even Arizona has something like a 22% approval of Arpaio and he's a local hero to some.

Ac30

The check on abusing the pardon powers is impeachment, as described by the founders.

Pardoning Arpaio is clear abuse; let's hope the GOP doesn't remain derelict in its congressional duty much longer.

😂
:'(

It's going to be a long, long wait 'till 2020.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

I have good news and bad news.

Actually I only have bad news.

rjinaz

��
:'(

It's going to be a long, long wait 'till 2020.

Lol yeah.

It will be "very concerning". Many brows will be raised. The Great Brow Raising of 2017.

Well at least Schumer let Trump have it this morning.

He's 85. He probably wont live much longer. I really believe Trump views this as a reward for his loyalty over the years. Trump probably knows he wont be around to do it at the end of his term. I don't think Trump gives a damn about PR when it comes to Joe Arpaio. This is meat for his trusted followers.

Which would have been endearing if his moral compass wasn't so twisted.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is just a first of many if Congress does not push back. Once Mueller's team starts dropping charges, he will pardon everyone around him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
He's 85. He probably wont live much longer. I really believe Trump views this as a reward for his loyalty over the years. Trump probably knows he wont be around to do it at the end of his term. I don't think Trump gives a damn about PR when it comes to Joe Arpaio. This is meat for his trusted followers.

I think this is probably the most likely explanation than the 4D chess "He's signalling to people he'll pardon them over Russia!"

rjinaz

He could have done it in a few months. He did now because he's pissed about the people giving him shit about Charlottesville and this his is way of lashing out. He got the Left good let me tell you.

Beartruck

This is just a first of many if Congress does not push back. Once Mueller's team starts dropping charges, he will pardon everyone around him.
Mueller is likely prepping state charges for a lot of them. Trump can only pardon federal charges.

This has zero chance of happening and you know it
This is McCain's home state he would have to push for such a thing and I don't think he will.

Red

It's not to reward loyalty. It's a way to churn the political waters. Many "leftist" outlets have been explaining why pardoning Arpaio is a bad move. Right-wing outlets have been clamoring for the pardon. Comments on right wing articles have been for the pardon, much of what Trump sees on twitter has been favorable to the pardon. So he pardons. It's red meat for his base, and a needle in the side of those who see how wrong it is. It's a show of defiance toward "the MSM" and a way to prove how tough he is for any of his fans who might have started to doubt his conviction (maybe especially after Bannon and Gorka have left the admin). To those susceptible to his particular populist impulses, it paints him as a hero, standing up to the corrupt and unfair media and justice systems.

Ac30

Lol yeah.

It will be "very concerning". Many brows will be raised. The Great Brow Raising of 2017.

Well at least Schumer let Trump have it this morning.

All joking aside, I'm seriously concerned about the future of your republic. Trump's acting with impunity and congress is letting him, and trust in the free press is slowly being eroded.

Mahonay

Banned
All joking aside, I'm seriously concerned about the future of your republic. Trump's acting with impunity and congress is letting him, and trust in the free press is slowly being eroded.
Our country is being ruined. It fucking sucks.

kunonabi

Yeah, his base probably looks at this as his way of making up for Obama commuting Manning's sentence.

Yeah, his base probably looks at this as his way of making up for Obama pardoning Manning.

you think those are equal measure of abuse of power?

I'm trying to imagine a timeline where Obama pardoned Bill Cosby to try to imagine what the normal reaction should be right now. That is the level I think Trump is getting away with right now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
5VzYJ6n.jpg

Nowise10

I found this Twitter thread when reading through one of the Sheriffs latest tweets.

What the fuck? "I don't know anything about the sheriff but to say he is racist is wrong."

Fucking Trump supporters.

I found this Twitter thread when reading through one of the Sheriffs latest tweets.

What the fuck? "I don't know anything about the sheriff but to say he is racist is wrong."

One of the requirements of being a trump supporter is being an idiot so you shouldn't be surprised.

rjinaz

Being called a racist is actually worse than people being racist, basically. One also has to wonder if he thinks racism even exists or is just a fabrication of the Left as a means to insulting others.

But yeah either way, this is the America we're dealing with right now.

snap

Banned

you see a lot of that, not just with sheriff joe. lots of people supporting trump or Crowbcat, or some other racist, and when you point out that person is racist they go "well we/i don't know all of the details, but you can't just call someone racist without giving them the benefit of the doubt"

it's like there's a class of people unwilling to accept racism exists and is prevalent, and it's because of them we've ended up with the modern day trend of being called a racist is a worse thing than actually being racist.

gives no shits any more about pretense

Still using language like "the president can do this" and "it undermines".

He's still being softball as fuck.

Being called a racist is actually worse than people being racist, basically. One also has to wonder if he thinks racism even exists or is just a fabrication of the Left as a means to insulting others.

Trump believes racism exists, just not his version of it.

Although, it is getting harder every day to say that.

The right only sees racism when it's time to claim the real racism is against whites. Other than that, racism is over

Ithil

They believe things like racism, white supremacism, Nazism etc are some far away, obscure, underground things that are almost mythical. They can't conceive of such things actually existing near them, or more often, within them.
Even if they hate black people for being black, they think they are not racist, because they have decided racism is some distant, abstract thing reserved just for people who dress in hoods and lynch people or goose-step around wearing SS uniforms (in another country).

That's why they react so aggressively to the idea that someone they know, or a celebrity or notable figure they follow, or even themselves, might be racist. Even while they blatantly are racist.

"It can't happen here" is a real feeling, and it is strongly ingrained.

The guy calls himself PatriotReb88 ffs and is all "whoa whoa whoa let's not go calling people racist"

That's one of the tenets of right wing propaganda, that the liberals and democrats only promote division and anger, so calling people racist is just a baseless attempt to divide the country and politicize race

The right only sees racism when it's time to claim the real racism is against whites. Other than that, racism is over

The far right is attempting to normalize racism by claiming they have been persecuted by everyone from Obama to the federal government to immigrants. They "suffered" under Obama because in their view, Obama was inherently anti-white and anti-Christian. The reality, of course, is that they stewed in anger, hatred and outrage for 8 years simply because a black man had the audacity to become President of the United States. Their persecution complex legitimates their racism and Emperor Trump validated that racism in turn.

FStubbs

Still using language like "the president can do this" and "it undermines".

He's still being softball as fuck.

Trump believes racism exists, just not his version of it.

Although, it is getting harder every day to say that.

Trump and his base believe racism only exists against white people.

DrKelpo

Banned
I loathe this country right now.

I despise so many people right now that I know voted for this piece of shit that I once had respect for.

if theres one good thing coming from all of this, it's a hard to swallow yet important reminder how many messed up and/or straight up shitty people exist.
they existed all the time but now feel safe to come out.

It's par for the course lately. Being called racist or inferring that someone is racist is the worst crime imaginable to a lot of folks on the right today. I'm done pulling punches now and "agreeing to disagree" with these people, I'm calling out racists when I see them and those trying to pull the "you're racist for recognizing racism" card can eat a dick.

Directly pandering to your base doesn't exactly help you. Yeah they may show up, but all the others who didn't think he would do this kind of stuff would happen will also show up as well.

Red

Directly pandering to your base doesn't exactly help you. Yeah they may show up, but all the others who didn't think he would do this kind of stuff would happen will also show up as well.
His approval is already so low this isn't likely to hurt him. It will energize his diehards. The people who are upset were already not supporting him. Don't expect more than a fraction of a percent change in his approval after this.

Top Bottom