• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trusted Reviews: Xbox Series X is the Best console of 2021

ethomaz

Banned
Series X is the better hardware and Playstation had the better games in the last year totally agree
That is what people said about Vita.
It is still the worst handheld I ever had.
A good hardware alone doesn’t make a good console.

It is true that there is no software without hardware but the opposite is true too hardware is nothing without software.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
lol i love how there are two thread about trusted reviews console winner. one is xbox one is ps5. which is it! lol
One is the reader poll and it's the best platform award (PS5), the other is the sites award and it's best console award (Series X)

That's the way I read it anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Vita is my best handheld, though I guess a Gameboy isn't really something worth 2nd place to me (I don't like handhelds all that much).
I can't remember if I played Gameboy games on SNES or N64, it was some adapter thing. Good times. (Best N64 games were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, with the extra RAM, shit without it).
I should probably use my Vita when I am in bed being lazy and do my daily stuff on Genshin.

MaKTaiL

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Chukhopops

Having both now I definitely agree, the SX is just more impressive from a hardware point of view.

It’s also the better option if you have a decent setup with a good TV (VRR support) and good sound system (Atmos support to get proper surround instead of virtual one).

MaulerX

So the console that pushed the controllers forward with the Dualsense, the 3D audio with Tempest, supports VR, has the first and only 8K/60fps game loses to the one with VRR?
Ok.

Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, VRR, Quick Resume, Smart Delivery, auto HDR, auto FPS boost, better backwards compatability, hot swappable expandable SSD storage.

We can argue games but as far as hardware features there really isn't much to argue about.

MonarchJT

Banned
The best console is the one that pushed the technology forward with haptics, 3D sound and the introduction of variable frequencies and custom I/O, so the PS5. I couldn't play without haptics now that I'm used to it. It's a game changer on games like Returnal or Astro.

I agree with PS5 being the best platform though, it has the best games. It seems sales agree.
Xbox have 3d sound..variable frequencies are there to push more the limit of an hardware clocked so high making it stay at its maximum frequency as much as possible but the Xbox has a 2 tf advantage (constant) the gap with the competition is unbridgeable from this point of view. Certainly the I / O of the PS5 is superior but no one has yet seen something that cannot be done on other platforms (the tests conducted by DF mounting SSDs much slower than the specifications given on rachet&c and and the tests done on the UE5 demo on pc prove it) On haptic well yeah Xbox doesn't have the same. But the PS5 doesn't have VRR, VRS, dolby vision, is less powerful and probably doesn't seem to have mesh shader it's looooooots bigger and also louder. cmon now

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'd give it to the PS5 given the exclusive library to date, DualSense (superior haptics, additional features like the touchpad and mic, etc, while the XSX controller is still basically same-old same-old), 3D audio in the absence of Dolby-supported hardware, and wizardry of the IO pipeline making the gameplay of stuff like Ratchet and Miles possible.

The XSX is slightly more powerful, and Smart Delivery is far (far) superior and more consumer friendly than how Sony handles purchasing and installation, but in every other way it's a lesser console in my opinion.

But, grats to them. I can see for many people it could have gone either way.

Edit: Oh, and the PS5 wifi is still poor IMO - just like my PS4 and PS4 Pro's was. Of all my devices, even years old Android tablets that stopped getting updates years ago, the PS5 is still the slowest wifi and has the poorest signal strength even when it isn't even far from the router. 2.4 and 5 GHz. So unfortunate.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

That's how I see it as well. I'm particularly impressed with Quick Resume. Kick ass feature.
I’ve got to be honest, wasn’t fully sold on quick resume but it really is excellent.

You can literally be back into your game right where you were within 10 seconds of sitting down and picking up the pad.

Murdoch

That is a bit weird from them.

PlayStation is the best platform but Series X is the best console?
If anything those awards should be completely reversed for my money. PlayStation want to have the best console sell the most games (they are) and Microsoft don't care as they are investing in the 'platform'.

What a ludicrious award system 🙄

ReBurn

Gold Member
Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, VRR, Quick Resume, Smart Delivery, auto HDR, auto FPS boost, better backwards compatability, hot swappable expandable SSD storage.

We can argue games but as far as hardware features there really isn't much to argue about.
Is that expandable storage really hot swappable? It could be but I'm going to shut the system down cold before I remove the card I paid $190 for. Easily swappable for sure.

Bob Belcher Grasping At Straws GIF by Bob's Burgers's Burgers

One minute it is about PS5 BC and the next it is transferring saves. Personally I'd trade that temporary inconvenience for having more wireless headset options on my XSX. Bottom line: neither console is perfect, but they are both pretty great.
I agree. I’ve been playing my PS5 a lot specifically for deathloop. The PS5 is noticeably more inconvenient when it comes to back compat and other quality of life features. It’s a superb machine but doesn’t have as many quality of life options as the competition.

TLZ

Banned

PS5 has HDR always on too. Auto FPS boost can argue it's for a handful of games so definitely debatable. Expandable storage I definitely prefer the non-proprietary option PS5 offers. Quick resume is cool but it's so random, some games have it while some don't.

The rest I agree with.

Zathalus

PS5 has HDR always on too. Auto FPS boost can argue it's for a handful of games so definitely debatable. Expandable storage I definitely prefer the non-proprietary option PS5 offers. Quick resume is cool but it's so random, some games have it while some don't.

The rest I agree with.
PS5 can display SDR in a HDR container. Which is not the same as auto HDR. It can make games look worse, hence PS5 releasing the setting to display SDR content properly earlier this year.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not this again.

It was a thing here? I don't keep up on any kind of controversial topics here on the gaming side.

I just think it's impressive the amount of data they can cram through in such short times. For a $500 consumer grade piece of electronics at that. Makes for some fantastic in-game mechanics.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
PS5 can display SDR in a HDR container. Which is not the same as auto HDR. It can make games look worse, hence PS5 releasing the setting to display SDR content properly earlier this year.
They both do the same no? I turned both off on PS5 and Xbox anyway. Didn't like the result.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
A good hardware alone doesn’t make a good console.

It is true that there is no software without hardware but the opposite is true too hardware is nothing without software.

yes I agree and this year has been a bit poor (temporary I know) from Sony on the software front due to covid and all their big hitters will be next year. Microsoft has some great games this year so it works for them.

next year will most likely be Sonys year.

it’s all subjective anyway

also you can’t argue with the design of such a powerful console in such a small box when compared to PS5

Last edited:
I’ve got to be honest, wasn’t fully sold on quick resume but it really is excellent.

You can literally be back into your game right where you were within 10 seconds of sitting down and picking up the pad.
That moment when I start Ass Creed Odyssey after weeks of not playing it because I had so many other games to play and it was still in quick resume and I could just keep playing from where I left it. I said wtf out loud.

Zathalus

They both do the same no? I turned both off on PS5 and Xbox anyway. Didn't like the result.
Not the same thing, PS5 (if using the option) outputs SDR games in a HDR container that can lead to some inaccurate results, it doesn't actually add HDR to the output at all. Auto HDR actually has an algorithm that adds heat map data to the SDR image and thus produces something not far off from native HDR mastering.

GametimeUK

I've always preferred Sony consoles, bit this time round I prefer the Xbox.

The VRR support, Quick resume, Dev mode for emulation, digital refunds, smart delivery, the party chat system, gamepass, the overall form factor, cloud saves to continue where I left off on PC and customisable controller options etc just make the box far more appealing to me in terms of features.

Good win for MS. They've totally changed my perception of them.

TLZ

Banned
Not the same thing, PS5 (if using the option) outputs SDR games in a HDR container that can lead to some inaccurate results, it doesn't actually add HDR to the output at all. Auto HDR actually has an algorithm that adds heat map data to the SDR image and thus produces something not far off from native HDR mastering.
Oh alright. Thanks for the explanation. Still didn't like the outcome on both though. The bright parts looked to shiny and annoying at times.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I didn't mean the consoles themselves were not close as they are indeed.

I meant its not close as far as features that I prefer.

I understand many people love the dualsense features most of which I dont care for I shut off the triggers.

The 3D audio doesn't overly impress me

One game running 8k 60 is great if you are playing that game on an 8k display and are enjoying yourself.

I get all these if thats what you prefer.

I personally prefer VRR, 1440p, Quick Resume, Play Anywhere, Smart Delivery, an easier to upgrade SSD (and I have upgraded my PS5 SSD to a 2 TB 980 Pro), a superior controller in the Elite 2, auto HDR

For me, it wasn't in fact close which is the superior hardware plus to date Playstation is the superior platform and also that isn't even close as of right now

All just my opinions as I agree with the picks
Look, I own an LG C8, great TV, bit old, but still great.

I've pre-ordered my XSX, will be here in 2 weeks. When it arrives and I start playing on it, 1440p will do nothing for me, VRR will do nothing for me and I definitely will not be spending 250 euros on a proprietary SSD that only does 3.5Gb/s when I've bought countless 980 pros and SN850 for way less than that.

So you see, the advantages I talk about the PS5 are experienced by EVERYONE, the advantages you mention on XSX every single one of them can be inplemented in a software update, and right now only a VERY SMALL percentage of people really take advantage of it.

So please understand that when I only mention VRR I was not downplaying anything, just mentioning the only feature I really think it's necessary on the PS5 even though I will not take advantage of it right now, maybe next year with the LG C2.

GametimeUK

So you see, the advantages I talk about the PS5 are experienced by EVERYONE, the advantages you mention on XSX every single one of them can be inplemented in a software update, and right now only a VERY SMALL percentage of people really take advantage of it.

You say the advantages you listed are experienced by everyone, but yet to make use of the PS5 being VR compatible you have to buy a PSVR. Sure everyone can go out and buy a PSVR to experience it, but by that logic someone can go out and buy a VRR capable TV.

You're acting as if the extra features on the dual sense make it a better controller for everyone. Some implementation in games actually makes it worse for me. I hate it when the controller vibrates every time my character takes a step on certain games. Most of the time I can't disable that specific feature without disabling rumble altogether. Personally I prefer the elite 2 controller for the back paddles although it's stupidly overpriced.

The 8K 60fps thing is cool for PS5. The Touryst is a sick game. To get the full effect of that mode though you need a 4K TV.

Not really available for everyone or beneficial for everyone either.

It's a matter of preference and if you prefer the PS5 then more power to you.

Hezekiah

Banned
Xbox have 3d sound..variable frequencies are there to push more the limit of an hardware clocked so high making it stay at its maximum frequency as much as possible but the Xbox has a 2 tf advantage (constant) the gap with the competition is unbridgeable from this point of view. Certainly the I / O of the PS5 is superior but no one has yet seen something that cannot be done on other platforms (the tests conducted by DF mounting SSDs much slower than the specifications given on rachet&c and and the tests done on the UE5 demo on pc prove it) On haptic well yeah Xbox doesn't have the same. But the PS5 doesn't have VRR, VRS, dolby vision, is less powerful and probably doesn't seem to have mesh shader it's looooooots bigger and also louder. cmon now
The astroturfing is real, I hope they're paying you well mate.

Out of interest, what have those two teraflops showed you that cannot be done on other platforms..?

Last edited:
Top Bottom