• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trusted Reviews: Xbox Series X is the Best console of 2021

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Look, I own an LG C8, great TV, bit old, but still great.

I've pre-ordered my XSX, will be here in 2 weeks. When it arrives and I start playing on it, 1440p will do nothing for me, VRR will do nothing for me and I definitely will not be spending 250 euros on a proprietary SSD that only does 3.5Gb/s when I've bought countless 980 pros and SN850 for way less than that.

So you see, the advantages I talk about the PS5 are experienced by EVERYONE, the advantages you mention on XSX every single one of them can be inplemented in a software update, and right now only a VERY SMALL percentage of people really take advantage of it.

So please understand that when I only mention VRR I was not downplaying anything, just mentioning the only feature I really think it's necessary on the PS5 even though I will not take advantage of it right now, maybe next year with the LG C2.
Like I said before I get it those features you like I get it.

In the same breath you need to understand those features fit you and not everyone like myself

In the end its all about preferences and again owning both and gaming on both I can say I 100% agree with the Series X being the better console and Playstation being the better platform.

Not trying to force you to agree with me if you don't agree its 100% cool with me

Gravemind

8d4.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The astroturfing is real, I hope they're paying you well mate.

Out of interest, what have those two teraflops showed you that cannot be done on other platforms..?

He loves throwing these words like VRS, VRR, SFS, Velocity Architecture, 12TF, and makes him think these words have no alternatives on a other device with a different naming. He likes to try to convince himself.

Anyway, the XSX has some features that are really great. I can't say VRR is a console feature since you can't experience it "out-of-the-box" with every tv, assuming as if everyone has a VRR capable tv these days...well no. Most people have cheap 4K displays and those aren't even fully HDMI2.1

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Yup when people come into an Xbox thread and praise the PS5 features thats ok but when Xbox people counter with features the Series X has in an Xbox Series X thread THATS astroturfing

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Not really, this guy loves going into these kind of threads, acting as if these PS5 features are all shit and not matter. Then why does he needs to bring up the PS5 in his reply?

Xbox have 3d sound..variable frequencies are there to push more the limit of an hardware clocked so high making it stay at its maximum frequency as much as possible but the Xbox has a 2 tf advantage (constant) the gap with the competition is unbridgeable from this point of view. Certainly the I / O of the PS5 is superior but no one has yet seen something that cannot be done on other platforms (the tests conducted by DF mounting SSDs much slower than the specifications given on rachet&c and and the tests done on the UE5 demo on pc prove it) On haptic well yeah Xbox doesn't have the same. But the PS5 doesn't have VRR, VRS, dolby vision, is less powerful and probably doesn't seem to have mesh shader it's looooooots bigger and also louder. cmon now

He could've focus his reply on the XSX, but no.....it's MonarchJT....we know why he needs to bring up the PS5 in....gut feelings.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
The astroturfing is real, I hope they're paying you well mate.

Out of interest, what have those two teraflops showed you that cannot be done on other platforms..?
what? let's say it again ...the gap in teraflops is completely and objectively unbrigeable. this is a fact. you can fantasize and astroturf in other post . bye

res x fps...PS5 cannot do the same most of the time we seeing basically in most comparation

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not really, this guy loves going into these kind of threads, acting as if these PS5 features are all shit and not matter. Then why does he needs to bring the PS5 in his reply?
Pretty sure he was replying to someone who brought up PS5 features and why he felt PS5 was the better console.

Could be wrong but he was countering the PS5 advantages yet that becomes astroturfing?

So you see, the advantages I talk about the PS5 are experienced by EVERYONE, the advantages you mention on XSX every single one of them can be inplemented in a software update, and right now only a VERY SMALL percentage of people really take advantage of it.
The advantages which are allegedly experienced by everyone are Dualsense, 3D audio, VR support and one game that runs at 8K downscaled to 4K (weird flex but ok).

Dualsense is a given. 3D audio is ok-ish with headphones and basically doesn't work without headphones. VR needs... PSVR.

Meanwhile, Xbox has Auto HDR, Quick Resume, Play Anywhere and Smart Delivery which are used by basically everyone. It also has a couple of things that not that many people use currently, like 3D audio and VRR. So saying that PS5 is clearly better here is... reaching.

To me only a few features matter. Having a Dualsense-like controller on the Xbox would be nice. But if I'd switch to PS5, I'd definitely miss Auto HDR, Quick Resume and VRR. And yes, PS5 technically has VRR, but who knows when it's gonna be enabled, and Sony will probably force people to buy their overpriced TVs if they want VRR.

MonarchJT

Banned
Not really, this guy loves going into these kind of threads, acting as if these PS5 features are all shit and not matter. Then why does he needs to bring up the PS5 in his reply?

He could've focus his reply on the XSX, but no.....it's MonarchJT....we know why he needs to bring up the PS5 in....gut feelings.
because people arguing that the PS5 should have won as better hw which objectively is not
for reasons of performance,engineering,noise,size, and also for subjective factors (which still seem important for the majority) aesthetics given the coldness with which it was also welcomed at the launch

and anyway this is not console war..we are discussing why a console won best hw

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Like I said before I get it those features you like I get it.

In the same breath you need to understand those features fit you and not everyone like myself

In the end its all about preferences and again owning both and gaming on both I can say I 100% agree with the Series X being the better console and Playstation being the better platform.

Not trying to force you to agree with me if you don't agree its 100% cool with me
I'm not forcing anything either, just explaining my perpective.

Peace brother.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
because people arguing that the PS5 should have won as better hw which objectively is not
for reasons of performance,engineering,noise, aesthetics and size and given the coldness with which it was also welcomed at the launch of design

Your counter has a lot of theory, like the 2 extra TF and something something "mesh shaders" as if you think that will make a difference all of sudden. 2TF extra doesn't mean devs can reach or use that since the more CU's, the more difficult it is because of bandwidth. While MS likes to use features to hide imperfections, the same thing can be said about PS, were they clearly stated that they wanted to remove all bottlenecks to not have to constantly rely on features to make games look "worse" like VRS.

Personally, the only feature i like to see on the PS5 is VRR being enabled. VRS is already part of the PS5/PSVR2 featureset. I think it's more important for VR in general. Quick resume would also be lovely to see, but i do not think i will use it. Most games have a internet connection, so these won't work most of the time. With these activity cards in the main menu, i can directly going into a game so i can live with that.

The XSX might be smaller, I don't think the internal volume of the XSX is smaller then the PS5. The PS5 is quiet, have you ever heard one? I can hear my PC but not my PS5...that's says enough.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I’ve got to be honest, wasn’t fully sold on quick resume but it really is excellent.

You can literally be back into your game right where you were within 10 seconds of sitting down and picking up the pad.

Definitely my favorite feature of XSX.

for reasons of performance,engineering,noise,size, and also for subjective factors (which still seem important for the majority) aesthetics given the coldness with which it was also welcomed at the launch

and anyway this is not console war..we are discussing why a console won best hw

Neither console has "objectively" better hardware. XSX has a more powerful GPU and slightly faster CPU. PS5 has faster I/O. PS5 also has controller haptics whereas XSX does not. XSX has VRR which PS5 does not. And so on. These are all objective truths. Saying which is "better" is entirely subjective.

As for best console, having had an XSX for a month now the most compelling feature the console offers in my opinion is Quick Resume. At the same time, PS5 has better audio options, imo. The games play great on both though. Which is truly best to me? Meh.....flip a coin.

Last edited:
XSX is a great console, but I gotta disagree on this.

More flops are great but that gets easily beat by PS5's 2x SSD speed and more advanced I/O that will manifest in a notable gap in the way first-party games will be able to be designed as we get deeper into the gen.

The Dual Sense is also revolutionary, where the XSX controller is just a small nudge improvement over the previous-gen iteration.

MonarchJT

Banned
Your counter has a lot of theory, like the 2 extra TF and something something "mesh shaders" as if you think that will make a difference all of sudden. 2TF extra doesn't mean devs can reach or use that since the more CU's, the more difficult it is because of bandwidth. While MS likes to use features to hide imperfections, the same thing can be said about PS, were they clearly said that they wanted to remove all bottlenecks to not have to constantly rely on features to make games look "worse" like VRS.

Certainly the TFs are always theoretical and in fact even the 10.something of the PS5 are theorical. Indeed we should add that in this theorizing of perofmance there is a further compromise in the PS5 given that we are well aware that the 10.something are also variable based on energy consumption.
Probably you talking about VRS 1.0
There are studios that have proven they can use VRS 2.0 excellently just look inthe coalition and their latest DLC it would take guts to say they look "worse"
Devs just need time to get used to it.

Personally, the only feature i like to see on the PS5 is VRR being enabled. VRS is already part of the PS5/PSVR2 featureset. I think it's more important for VR in general. Quick resume would also be lovely to see, but i do not think i will use it. Most games have a internet connection, so these won't work most of the time. With these activity cards in the main menu, i can directly going into a game so i can live with that.
VRS? we have multiple source that constantly said that VRS (hw) is not present in the console . Software sure, some version of it run even better compared to vrs 1.0
We waiting for Dolby and VRR ...activity cards are honestly another thing

The XSX might be smaller, I don't think the internal volume of the XSX is smaller then the PS5. The PS5 is quiet, have you ever heard one? I can hear my PC but not my PS5...that's says enough.
yes i have seen many times both and noise coil happen often also is louder even without a noise coil.
Design size and aesthetic are important albeit not as important as the hw inside. Apple teaches about it

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyway, the XSX has some features that are really great. I can't say VRR is a console feature since you can't experience it "out-of-the-box" with every tv, assuming as if everyone has a VRR capable tv these days...well no. Most people have cheap 4K displays and those aren't even fully HDMI2.1

Here's the thing. You upgrade your console every 5-6 years for new features and a generational leap, why not your TV? I bought a HDTV when the 360/PS3 released. Then a 4K TV last gen. With the XSX and PS5 I upgraded to a new HDMI 2.1 set that can do 4K 120, because 120/VRR is the real generational leap this time.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Good job Xbox.
Side note.
How in the fuck does Bo get banned, I get banned and lots of others get banned but this snake dude who does literally does nothing but war not get banned?

That's the problem apparently. You see everything as war and are constantly at war. Then every discussion is a war nowadays or not, then ban the whole forum....

I just reply on your friend, sorry you can't handle that and yes throwing in some theories doesn't make it look like a better console like the 2 extra TF or some software features that not even have materialized other then a powerpoint.

Here's the thing. You upgrade your console every 5-6 years for new features and a generational leap, why not your TV? I bought a HDTV when the 360/PS3 released. Then a 4K TV last gen. With the XSX and PS5 I upgraded to a new HDMI 2.1 set that can do 4K 120, because 120/VRR is the real generational leap this time.

gamers "maybe", also not every gamer. But casuals will never do this and that's 90% of the market.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
gamers "maybe", also not every gamer. But casuals will never do this and that's 90% of the market.

"Casuals" don't pay $500 for a console either. $299 is the "casual" price point, which is why companies try to hit that as soon as possible and one reason why the Switch is so successful since it's been that since launch.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
"Casuals" don't pay $500 for a console either. $299 is the "casual" price point, which is why companies try to hit that as soon as possible and one reason why the Switch is so successful since it's been that since launch.

So you tell me, those 10 million PS5 users are hardcore gamers? I know enough of casuals with a PS5......

Sorry but that's bullshit talk.

That's the problem apparently. You see everything as war and are constantly at war. Then every discussion is a war nowadays or not, then ban the whole forum....

I just reply on your friend, sorry you can't handle that and yes throwing in some theories doesn't make it look like a better console like the 2 extra TF or some software features that not even have materialized other then a powerpoint.

If your reply wasn't bullshit, argumentative generalizations I wouldn't call you out.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's not bullshit. That's why companies make "slim" consoles, so they can hit the mass-market $299 price. It's also why Sony releasing the original PlayStation at $299 was a mic drop moment.

It's still nonsense. Casuals buy everything these days. If they want to buy a PS5 for some games, they buy it. Those slim models are mainly to bring down the production cost.

Casuals buy 1000+ euro iPhone and use it for making selfies all day, while they could also do this with a cheap ass android phone (not that i like android phones in general).

The reason why people do not replace their tv's every 5 years is because before HDMI2.1, there weren't many interesting features to replace your Full HD for. Also you also might not the only one using it in your house and not dedicated for gaming.

And before you ask, yes i do have a HDMI2.1 capable tv (LG OLED CX).

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Well deserved award, most powerful, quietest and smallest, quite an engineering feat.
Great thing is we know there is so much more to come with VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders as next gen engines take over. We haven't seen anything yet.

MonarchJT

Banned
well .. I can assure you (with certainty) than in Italy a large part of the PS5 sales are absolutely causal gamers who will never buy demon souls but nothing but Cod GT and fifa.

Jaysen

Banned
Hard for me to disagree with them. Game Pass is the tits, and the hardware is amazing. Took awhile for the games though, but they start arriving next month, which wasn’t a big deal because since it’s the best hardware and has the best feature(quick resume) I made it my main for third party games, which I’ve had plenty of this year.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
4K? HDR? Riiiiight.

People are going into 4K/HDR for the last 2 years. Before it was "look i have a 4K tv, but there is no content for it", and let's not get into HDR.

The whole 4K thing started to get interesting with HDMI2.1 and that's right now.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

So the console that pushed the controllers forward with the Dualsense, the 3D audio with Tempest, supports VR, has the first and only 8K/60fps game loses to the one with VRR?
Ok.
Nintendo did everything in the Dualsense except the triggers which are a better version of triggers from MS.
XB1 fhad 3D audio so your whole thing is broken. VR came out last gen and hasn’t had anything new for it yet so counting it is wild.

so you got a 8K60 game vs VRR, ML AutoHDR, FPS Boost, and the ability to emulate game going back to when your mom was born. Seem like it wasn’t a hard choice.

Edit: Just caught up; I’m astroturfing.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I'm going to have to agree. I have an XSX and Switch, and other than Metroid Dread it's been a very quiet year for the Switch. I was mostly catching up on my backlog on the Switch this year. But the XSX has just been awesome. The combination of Game Pass and quick resume is just fucking awesome. I can juggle multiple games without dealing with switching discs and load times. While a lot of my XSX this year has been on older games I've missed out on since I was not in the Xbox ecosystem before, it's been a pure joy. Great console!

Top Bottom