• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

If he wins this he will use it to get a shot at Lawler at UFC 200. It's the bigger fight, bigger payday, cements his legacy even further if he beats Robbie.
Lawler's so much bigger and heavier; fighting against an actual welterweight let alone the current champion would be a pretty fucking insane thing to do for McGregor.

CcvrTpcUsAAWaOu.jpg

The difference jesus
I said DAMN

No more looking like the Irish famine, he's never cutting down to 145 again. The only question is if he manages to get to fight for the LW belt before they strip the FW belt off him.

highrider

Banned
It's interesting. Nate is a good fighter and I think his boxing will cause some problems for McGregor. I really think any fighter with length and good submission moves is a threat against a guy that favors a stand up game. And he's left handed. McGregor has that over the top personality but he seems to back it up. If there is any sense that McGregor hasn't fought a proven guy it should be put to rest to a degree after this fight.

Haunted

It's interesting. Nate is a good fighter and I think his boxing will cause some problems for McGregor. I really think any fighter with length and good submission moves is a threat against a guy that favors a stand up game. And he's left handed. McGregor has that over the top personality but he seems to back it up. If there is any sense that McGregor hasn't fought a proven guy it should be put to rest to a degree after this fight.
If that hadn't been put to rest by beating Mendes (not a full camp!) and Aldo (fluke punch!), it won't be put to rest after beating Diaz (not a full camp!) and it wouldn't have been put to rest if he had defeated Dos Anjos (second-rate Aldo!).

haters gonna hate etc

http://i.imgur.com/P3GV6XQ.webm

Shagwell

Any idea what order the main card fights go in?

I'd like to make sure I don't miss Holm's fight but I have to be somewhere.

DKehoe

Aldo is just about as proven a guy as it gets.

Aiii

So not worth it
Aldo is just about as proven a guy as it gets.

The problem with 13 second victories is that it makes it so hard to gauge exactly how good a guy is. I mean, we knew Connor could hit hard, but Aldo messed up by allowing himself to get hit.

It's awesome as hell, but it really does leave a bunch of question marks.

Yaari

The problem with 13 second victories is that it makes it so hard to gauge exactly how good a guy is. I mean, we knew Connor could hit hard, but Aldo messed up by allowing himself to get hit.

Agree. Even for Conor's standards, a one punch KO isn't common. Who knows how that match would have turned out, had he not caught Aldo there.

Either way, Conor keeps seeking the higher challenge and I can applaud that. I hope he wins and he faces Lawler. That would be wild.

Looking forward to Shevchenko vs Nunes. I was very impressed with her short notice debut.

It's a great card. Going to be fun.

Rogan

Banned
Main card airs here at 4 in the morning. I'm free the next day and monday morning I start at 8. Usually 7 hours of sleep is enough.

So, stay awake for the fight? Or go to sleep and watch it tomorrow?

I really liked the pre-fight events and like the whole social aspect of these live events (reading forums / twitter etc.).

Aiii

So not worth it
Main card airs here at 4 in the morning. I'm free the next day and monday morning I start at 8. Usually 7 hours of sleep is enough.

I really liked the pre-fight events and like the whole social aspect of these live events (reading forums / twitter etc.).

Watch live, sleep afterwards to noon.

Sleep 12 to 4. Watch. Sleep right afterwards or take nap the next day.

Decided to drop some money on Nate Diaz. The odds are too good to pass up.

6PbHvzx.png

If he loses I can live with that, it's going to be a great fight.

Not always. Sometimes a 13 second victory gauges almost exactly how good the fighter is. And I don't know what you mean by Aldo messed up by allowing himself to get hit. That's a very vague all encompassing criticism, that I guess you could throw at anyone who loses a fight. But what specifically did Aldo do that was an obvious or foreseeable mistake?

Aldo lost, so it's hard to say he didn't mess up. But specifically, I don't think he messed up. He was beat by superior movement and timing. Obviously Aldo had to move in eventually, as he would've just been picked apart from the outside. And when he did move in just a bit, Conor circled back and countered with the perfect shot. It was a perfect victory that Conor had called exactly. You can't call it a lucky shot, when he tells you down to a T, how he is going to win. Opposite of lucky.

With his existing skills, Conor is just way too big for anyone at 145. You see this in boxing all the time. A certain boxer will just be too big for anyone at a certain weight class, because he is the best at squeezing into it, but usually only for the earlier, younger years. It's almost like who is the best fighter and the person who can best squeeze down to a weight class? These fighters tend to have this advantage for a while, but as you age it starts to become impossible to keep squeezing down.

McGregor has the best boxing in MMA. And Nate loves to stand and box which is going to play straight into Conor. Conor has way too much precision and power for that and Nate is extremely hittable in every fight of his entire career. He has a good chin which helps but he'll be asleep before the end of the 2nd round IMO

10 million for Conor? let's do the math.

at $60 a ppv with a million buys is 60 million. half goes to the provider (time Warner, AT&T, dtv) so that leaves the UFC with 30 million$. let's say Conor is conservatively making 10% of that so it's really 3 million on top of his 1 million garaunteed. with more buys though the percentage increases as well.

at best, let's say this gets 1.5 million buys so that would be 45 million$ to the UFC. if Conor's deal goes up to 20% then his pay might potentially go up to 9 million plus his 1 million garaunteed reaching the 10 million as Conor says.

wow!!! looks like MysticMac is on point again.

BadAss2961

Looking at welterweight Conor, he really shouldn't fight at 145 ever again. After this, doing that cut might kill him next time.

He's a natural welterweight with his best cut at 155.

Kama_1082

Banned

Take a look at rousey.

ironcreed

Banned
I love Conor, but I still think he will get caught tonight. It happens to them all and Diaz is just the kind of fighter that could pull it off.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What would be the best place to pay to stream this? Preferably HD.

Unfamiliar with any sites/apps as I usually just go to the Alehouse to watch the fights.

ironcreed

Banned
I was going to lay down some bank on this fight, but I thought better of it and am just not going to take the risk. Though I'll be kicking myself if Diaz wins. I don't know, this just looks like 'one of them fights' to me.

OrochiJR

Gold Member

I enjoy Conor always acting like he does, but at the same time I feel bad for Nate here, as seemingly both Conor and the interviewer (not directly, but I got the vibe she was trying to put him on the spot) made fun of his intellect. I mean yeah, he may not be the brightest or most well spoken dude, but something about this video rubbed me the wrong way. Especially after reading stuff about where the Diaz brothers come from, like the article linked above.

ironcreed

Banned
I enjoy Conor always acting like he does, but at the same time I feel bad for Nate here, as seemingly both Conor and the interviewer (not directly, but I got the vibe she was trying to put him on the spot) made fun of his intellect. I mean yeah, he may not be the brightest or most well spoken dude, but something about this video rubbed me the wrong way. Especially after reading stuff about where the Diaz brothers come from, like the article linked above.

Yeah, he comes off pretty punch drunk in most interviews. But the guy is fucking nails in the Octagon and Conor better not overlook him.

BadAss2961

Nah, I don't think she was out to make fun of him or anything. I thought it was pretty funny though. The interview was focused on the business aspect.

It's just the awkwardness you get when an interviewer knows nothing about the fight game and gets Nate Diaz, a guy who's only willing to talk about the fight itself and even then would prefer to skip the media process entirely.

Bucca

Yeah you can watch it on that, but it's a PPV so you need to pay for it. €24.99 here for it.

Ouch.. Going off ppv.ufc looks like it's $60 for HD.

Maybe I'll just go to the bar instead...

Yeah, he comes off pretty punch drunk in most interviews. But the guy is fucking nails in the Octagon and Conor better not overlook him.

You feel Diaz has a chance? I was shocked how McGregor handled Aldo. Aldo who have been doing so convincingly great in so many fights.. Both Diaz brothers have had some real bad luck in the UFC when it came to fighting the top 5 guys. I think McGregor will really work Diaz, and make him look bad.

McGregor has really good grappling. I think it is something a lot of people underestimate due to his great striking. Diaz, he might be a comparable grappler, but a comparable striker he is not, and this is going to be a major problem. What can Diaz do realistically?
McGregor is going to box him down and irritate him, and that's gonna be it, or he is gonna get taken to the ground and gas out with McGregor dominating him from there.

I do like Diaz though. I just don't see him winning here. But what an upset if he did!

Bucca

Money's on McGregor. May not like the dudes showmanship but damn he can strike.

The Diaz brothers are physical tough and give off this tough exterior but they are mental midgets. The minute stuff gets too tough for Nate in there I fully expect him to dance around and flip the bird once he realizes he has no chance.

BadAss2961

You feel Diaz has a chance? I was shocked how McGregor handled Aldo. Aldo who have been doing so convincingly great in so many fights.. Both Diaz brothers have had some real bad luck in the UFC when it came to fighting the top 5 guys. I think McGregor will really work Diaz, and make him look bad.

McGregor has really good grappling. I think it is something a lot of people underestimate due to his great striking. Diaz, he might be a comparable grappler, but a comparable striker he is not, and this is going to be a major problem. What can Diaz do realistically?
McGregor is going to box him down and irritate him, and that's gonna be it, or he is gonna get taken to the ground and gas out with McGregor dominating him from there.

I do like Diaz though. I just don't see him winning here. But what an upset if he did!
He could use his length and pepper Conor from distance with good spacing. Jabs, straights all day. Conor is the speedier, fancier striker but Diaz is a better pure boxer.

Diaz is good on the ground and Conor is not, looked helpless there against Mendes. Conor could easily get subbed in a bad spot.

But yeah, the Diaz Bros have always had an unbreakable close but no cigar ceiling in the UFC. That's why if I had to bet everything i'd go with Conor's attributes winning out.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I just love how Conor has been made to look a fool with the touch butt and flinch stuff, he's still going to win though.

You are really overestimating connor's grappling. Hes quite bad on the ground. Not sage northcutt levels of bad, but bad. He got by in fw on the ground due to size/strength

Nate is a legit black belt in bjj, with good subs from top and bottom

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just love how Conor has been made to look a fool with the touch butt and flinch stuff, he's still going to win though.

Conor was made to look like a fool against Aldo too. Talking smack like a clown and getting laughed at by Aldo, looking 'shook,' etc. Pretty much 100% of mma hipsters were picking aldo there. Not at 100% here, but getting pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom