• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are really overestimating connor's grappling. Hes quite bad on the ground. Not sage northcutt levels of bad, but bad. He got by in fw on the ground due to size/strength

Nate is a legit black belt in bjj, with good subs from top and bottom
I don't think he is a great grappler by any means, but I think he is phenomenal at getting himself out of grappling situations

3N16MA

Banned
Yeah but aldo had a 14 month lay off beforehand. How much of that loss can be chalked up to ring rust?

IMO theres a legit question mark over McGregors last 3 fights easily. Mendes, took the fight on 2 weeks notice. Aldo, off 14 months beforehand. Siver? Fucking tomato can bum full stop. And now Diaz on another 2 weeks notice. Anyone who thinks you can prepare for a fight at this level in 2 weeks is kidding themselves.
Hate on Jones all you like at least he has fought the best in his division and embarrassed them almost every time and has a legit claim to GOAT status, Conor is nowhere near GOAT-tier despite what all the UFC noob McGregor nuthugger fans will tell you

I'm not the biggest Jones fan but I agree that what he has done is more impressive. Not impressed with his fight against Mendes. This fight is nothing to brag about either as Nate is not really a WW contender and hasn't been doing anything impressive himself.

The Aldo KO was legit and something I can't knock Conor for. I think his antics are hilarious and entertaining and he always shows up but his run is not on the level of Jones.

I want to see him stick at WW and try to clean out that division.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You can't really call this a WW fight, neither of them fight at the weight, it's basically a LW match without anyone cutting weight.

Haunted

McGregor is with his 168 pounds, but Diaz is expected to go into the cage at somewhere around ~182 pounds, that's quite a bit larger than your average lightweight with one day of hydration after the weigh-in.

McGregor is with his 168 pounds, but Diaz is expected to go into the cage at somewhere around ~182 pounds, that's quite a bit larger than your average lightweight with one day of hydration after the weigh-in.

he was already looking pudgy at the weigh-ins. Not sure where that extra weight is going to come from.

Spy

No he isn't. Where did you get that from? Diaz weighed in at 169, he's always this skinny.

3N16MA

Banned
You can't really call this a WW fight, neither of them fight at the weight, it's basically a LW match without anyone cutting weight.

Exactly what I was saying. Nate is not a WW contender and really isn't part of that division.

However I bet Conor uses this to get himself a shot at the WW belt if he wins.

manfestival

Diaz can scrap but can he really beat champions? The answer to that is no. The mans record is plagued with losses to top talent and thats because he is a good 5-10 but not a good 1-4

Spy

Diaz can scrap but can he really beat champions? The answer to that is no. The mans record is plagued with losses to top talent and thats because he is a good 5-10 but not a good 1-4
If he had the ability to defend the takedown well, he would be a top 5. If Conor had wrestling ability, I think he would smoke Nate but he doesn't.

Nate Diaz has never been knocked out.

Uhhh lol

11_Nate_Diaz_vs_Josh_Thomson_3.gif

Nick threw in the towel during this fight .

That was a TKO, not a KO. But if you wanna bring is MMAth, Mcgregor got submitted but Joseph Duffy. Someone not nearly as skilled as Diaz on the ground.

When someone says "he's gonna get knocked out" it's all relative. Nobody is gonna say "he's gonna get technically knocked out"...come on.

He could use his length and pepper Conor from distance with good spacing. Jabs, straights all day. Conor is the speedier, fancier striker but Diaz is a better pure boxer.

Diaz is good on the ground and Conor is not, looked helpless there against Mendes. Conor could easily get subbed in a bad spot.

But yeah, the Diaz Bros have always had an unbreakable close but no cigar ceiling in the UFC. That's why if I had to bet everything i'd go with Conor's attributes winning out.

Really, you think Diaz is a better pure boxer? This surprises me! What makes you say this?

You are really overestimating connor's grappling. Hes quite bad on the ground. Not sage northcutt levels of bad, but bad. He got by in fw on the ground due to size/strength

Nate is a legit black belt in bjj, with good subs from top and bottom

He seems to have improved though, and he grapples under John Kavanagh!

What do you think Conors grappling level is right now?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Why does McGregor accepts a fight in which he has to lose so much weight?
Dude is gonna pass out as soon as he steps into the ring :(

Diaz looks way healthier, i think he has this one.

gogogow

Wait. What?! McGregor went up a weight class. He gained weight.
Or is this some kind of joke i'm not getting?

highrider

Banned
Oh, I agree that compared to what we've seen of McGregor's ground game, Nate has an advantage over him on the ground and if he's smart, he probably would aim to take the fight there.

There's a good chance he'll just try to stand and bang, though.

Yep, and I kind if have to still lean towards McGregor as I think he's still a smarter, more diverse and unpredictable fighter.

But Diaz isn't that dude I would write off. He's a tough opponent. I usually don't watch ufc stuff but both these guys are entertaining to watch with great hands. Hopefully it won't be a quick knock out.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait. What?! McGregor went up a weight class. He gained weight.
Or is this some kind of joke i'm not getting?
Havent watched MMA on years so it's me that its wrong.
But the dude looks really dried up.

Fersis

-MD-

Havent watched MMA on years so it's me that its wrong.
But the dude looks really dried up.

Huh? Conor cut zero weight for this fight, he even came in under weight.

Levito

Banned
When someone says "he's gonna get knocked out" it's all relative. Nobody is gonna say "he's gonna get technically knocked out"...come on.

Yes they do, because a knockout and a TKO are two different things. Brock Lesnar was TKO'd by Overeem and Cain, but Brock was never KO'd out cold.

tfur

Whatever happens, I hope it's Conor by bird finger removal. It seems to be the Diazs' best move.

3N16MA

Banned
Like 6 hours from now.

WW? I think he has a chance against Lawler but gets handled by the top 4-5 guys in that division. Rory, Wonderboy and Hendricks are nightmares for him.

Which is why I want him to stick at 170. He seems to be going down that path with Dana willing to let him have a shot at Lawler. Those fights are dangerous for him which makes it more intriguing.

mekes

He talks like a punch drunk with a mouth full of peanut butter, but he also is more real. He has been around as well. Good for him on getting this fight, regardless of the outcome.

Agreed, $20k fight money was criminal from the UFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom