• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Princess Kate image withdrawn by four news agencies amid 'manipulation' concerns

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68526972

_132880501_1kensingtonpalace_mothersday2024.jpg.webp

Four international photo agencies have retracted a picture of the Princess of Wales and her children over concerns it has been "manipulated".

But, Getty Images, AFP, Reuters and Associated Press have pulled the photo - noting an "inconsistency in alignment of Princess Charlotte's left hand".

Social media platform X has posted its own disclaimer on the Prince and Princess of Wales's official account saying the image is "believed to be digitally altered"

It was thought on Sunday morning the photo would quell some of the more extreme theories around the princess's absence from the public stage. But within hours social media was abuzz with zoomed-in images of Princess Charlotte's left cuff and Prince Louis' fingers.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't get it, what's been altered?

All I can see is her reptilian fingers are losing the human visage, look at the size of em.
Think it's the kids hands. The girls and boys that are closest to the edge of the photograph. Not really sure myself but news agencies pulling it must have some valid concerns. Probably just been over scrutinised.

n2RWgYj.jpg
rRyzvYW.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Her right hand strikes me as odd, why is it so blurry compared to everything else in the picture?

What is even going on with this lady anyway?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
And it's winter time, why are there leaves on the tree.

Also hr right hand is all blurred, as is her hair on the right side of her head.

And the step to the left of the kid in green's knee has a split in the image..

Fuckery is afoot...

My prediction is William killed her during strangulation sex

Anchorman GIF

DJ12

If you lighten the image in the red part you can clearly see its been cut and pasted from another image. There's a distinct line across.

Could just be that they took several images and had to cobble together the best bits of each.

Think it's pretty clear though that she's not in a good way if they are doing this.

Dutchy

Why is this news? Since when are heavily altered celebrity photo's a new phenomena? What am I missing here???

Edit: This is only gonna get worse with AI isn't it? I feel like this is a prime example of people being paranoid out the wazoo for something that's been the norm since the 90's. The fact she's getting called out for using some guassian blur here and there is hilariously pathetic. I can't imagine voluntarily sacrificing my time for something so unimportant.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Why is this news? Since when are heavily altered celebrity photo's a new phenomena? What am I missing here???
She's not been seen in public for a while leading to speculation about what's going on with her. This photo gets released, presumably to stop people talking about it and then it's revealed the photo isn't totally legit. So rather than calm people's suspicions it's only heightened them.

Apparently she had an operation recently so she's probably just been out of the public eye while she's been dealing with that issue.

Dutchy

She's not been seen in public for a while leading to speculation about what's going on with her. This photo gets released, presumably to stop people talking about it and then it's revealed the photo isn't totally legit. So rather than calm people's suspicions it's only heightened them.

Apparently she had an operation recently so she's probably just been out of the public eye while she's been dealing with that issue.
That still doesn't answer the question unfortunately. Or maybe I'm just out of touch with what is considered news today.

this just in: celeb used photoshop

Doesn't rly do it for me

DKehoe

That still doesn't answer the question unfortunately. Or maybe I'm just out of touch with what is considered news today.

Doesn't rly do it for me
In most cases it wouldn't be a big deal. As you say a lot of pictures of celebrities are photoshopped.

But this particular instance is someone who is typically very visible, hasn't been for a (relatively) long time and the photo released to quieten the speculation turns out to be fake. So something that was done to resolve an issue has only fuelled that fire. It's not just that photoshop has been used, it's when it's happened. The context is what makes it more of a story.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Doesn't rly do it for me
As mentioned it's because she's banished from public eye for months now and they're not saying why, and the first photo of her since vanishing is this heavily edited mess.

MilkyJoe

Edit: This is only gonna get worse with AI isn't it? I feel like this is a prime example of people being paranoid out the wazoo for something that's been the norm since the 90's. The fact she's getting called out for using some guassian blur here and there is hilariously pathetic. I can't imagine voluntarily sacrificing my time for something so unimportant.

Its because no one has seen her, there's a conspiracy theory that something has happened to her, thenthey put out a photoshopped image, get busted and it adds fuel to the fire

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL. I find it hilarious when people edit pics. I can understand someone wanting to be on a magazine cover or Linkedin pic wanting someone to edit it to be fakely professional looking. Everyone knows that.

But for anyone to edit pics that are supposed to be just spur of the moment family pics or a bunch of guys at a pub or baseball game chilling, who the fuck would want to edit that. Just go with what is taken as a normal pic even if everyone in the pic isn't looking 100% perfect.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Social media mind rot, "Look at my perfect life".
sad-but-true-social-media-cats-web-comics-8388202496
No doubt and its fucking retarded. People are numbnuts. I've uploaded random pics like that but they were as they were. I've posted pics of me moving into a new place for fun or it's Xmas time and didn't give a shit it's messy and shit could be in sketchy cardboard boxes I got from the grocery store. Some people even made fun in the comments, which was hilarious because I wouldnt even notice or care. But someone noticed I had of stuff in a big tomato box and he's like.... Haha. did you buy tomatoes? I wouldnt even think of that. But I dont care anyway because I thought it was funny too.

Every pic I have ever uploaded from FB stuff, to linkedin profile pic, to online dating pics, I have never edited or paid a photographer. It's simply me taking pics or a fam member or friend taking the pic for me. Or the pub waitress taking a pic of the table. Dont get me wrong, sometimes a couple snaps are taken just in case so I can pic the best one to upload, but most of the time it's actually just one pic and I go with it. I get annoyed when some people (everyone has one of them in their family) who takes a million pics at Thanksgiving dinner annoying the entire table.

It's truly bizarre how fake people are.

Tip for people. Nobody is perfect, and I dont think anyone really cares. Just be yourself and people will appreciate you. I've heard a million times from fam, friends and even from coworkers and peer evaluation saying "Dont worry, we know what youre like!" or "he's always honest and helpful when I need advice (at work)". I know sometimes I can be a little crude and just say things, but hey you'll never get a fake answer or fake photo from me. As long as you dont act like an asshole, people will understand you and enjoy your company, faults and all.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

LOL. Dumbass Kate.

When it comes to glossing it up, I can understand for publicity pics you might someone to airbrush out a big zit or bedhead or something. Hey, when all of us got school pics in grade school long time, they did that too for everyone for free.

But some of the photoshopping is weird. Why shop the hand/sweater part of the daughter? Or Kate's zipper part on her dark coat which you cant even see much anyway since she's also wearing a dark sweater too?

Top Bottom