• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord |OT| Vanilla Force

KXVXII9X

This game has a surprising level of detail. One thing I noticed was the sound direction when you are fighting in a cave like structure and the character's voice have more of an echo. The lighting is also really well done, and it is nice to see how dynamic it is with the day and night cycle and weather. When you walk among the shores you make splashes and little things like that. I think this is what sets Vanillaware apart. The 2D hand drawn style doesn't feel cheap. Even the UI has a ton of personality.

Aion002

1ttYqW6QZF6PQeVm-L85mozFbTgWZAw7hvdfMHDmN2T5f9XLSxnoKvpT0CnKFEoDh4lhMRWJZhi1HQ=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd-v1-rwa
Oh! It has a Ramza look a like character... Now I have to buy this game.

Last edited:

Isa

This game has a surprising level of detail. One thing I noticed was the sound direction when you are fighting in a cave like structure and the character's voice have more of an echo. The lighting is also really well done, and it is nice to see how dynamic it is with the day and night cycle and weather. When you walk among the shores you make splashes and little things like that. I think this is what sets Vanillaware apart. The 2D hand drawn style doesn't feel cheap. Even the UI has a ton of personality.
Yeah I noticed those as well. The sound of someone's voice as they approach from off screen, voices resounding in enclosed spaces etc. And the nice touch of environmental effects when wandering the overworld. Reminds me a bit of Heroes of Might and Magic with that.

I managed to finish off Drakengardhold and am back in Elheim. The game is steadily increasing in difficulty and I like the implementation of map hazards and such to consider when fielding or moving units. I definitely have my character preferences and thankfully the game let's one use whomever they wish for the most part. I've also recruited a few mercs to round out some squads but thanks to a fairly large main roster most of my bases have been covered.

cabbage5k2

I only one more questline left in Cornia then I probably have completed all non Gran-Corine quests in the area for now. Cavalry are amazing units and you actually recruit quite a few more of them. Amazing for moving around on the field quicker than everyone else easily, and then the death of most pure infantry squads, they're insanely powerful. The true MVP thus far though (besides Josef obviously) is honestly the archer Rolf, especially when he gets the ability to hit two foes at once. He hard counters thieves, severely damages if not one shots any flying unit, and, because he can damage foes behind enemy lines, also deals with annoying shamans and mages easily. Excellent unit really.

I find the liberation maps quite easy though, to the point that I just mindlessly skip every battle and clear them in under a minute, little thought required. The Side Quests and Main Quests more than make up for this point, and are truly enjoyable, especially the last main quest in Cornia. That map was spectacular and somewhat challenging. Great game thus far, and every you guys are saying makes it seem like it only keeps getting better.

Alright, I've done everything I can possibly do in Cornia, the liberation blazes forth:

LtOPueH.jpg

I love everything single thing about this game and I've now clocked enough hours to say I believe it's an instant classic. Every element of it's design is attuned to a perfect pitch, the gameplay loop is hypnotic, hours pass as you're completely immersed in it's world. I have no reservations in saying this is Vanillaware's best work and I have no doubt when it's all said and done I'll place it side by side with my favourite SRPG's (or RPG's in general) of all-time.

Vanillaware has an innate understanding of beauty, from the gorgeous art to the lush animations, everything is a joy to simply look at. Here is a simple example of what I'm talking about, look at how Melisandre is framed between Josef and Clive on the victory screen:

ZynMsGA.jpg

It's just beautiful and this applies to pretty much every frame in this game, it's a feast for the eyes and I'm not even talking about the jiggle physics lol. The greatest compliment I can pay Unicorn Overlord is just how much it has pulled me away from Rebirth which was my most anticipated game of 2024. I'm loving both but the past few days the itch to play UO has been greater (to be fair I'd already clocked 60h in Rebirth before starting this). What a time to be alive, Japan has been delivering ALL the goods.

Edit: just unlocked coliseum and promotions, so damn good, I love this game 💯💯💯

Last edited:

daxgame

Quick question gaffers: I'm about to bite but first I'll try the demo.
Will the demo spoil me anything? As in: if the demo is simply the first hours of the game, then fine. However if the demo is a mix of content from the beginning of the game and later stages, then I'd rather not

Thanks!

Quick question gaffers: I'm about to bite but first I'll try the demo.
Will the demo spoil me anything? As in: if the demo is simply the first hours of the game, then fine. However if the demo is a mix of content from the beginning of the game and later stages, then I'd rather not

Thanks!
The demo is roughly the first 5-6h of the game and your save carries over into the full game if you decide to buy it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hello my future queen!

ZWdD2mjkduQVfYPCVMCgnLX_jcU9Dm1M2tEegBJ6i2dAFSwIp1_KonoCGKRU0bQioDnN8vIBinTm=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd-v1-rwa

I don't mean to start a war on Neogaf but she's hotter than Tifa I SAID WHAT I SAID :messenger_face_steam:

Vanillaware games have always been great but I feel like this is the game that propels them to the status of one of the best devs in the industry. I just still find it mind boggling that they keep running out of money for each game and the owner has to personally fund the remainder of development.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Automated battles? Hmm, an interesting choice. While I may grow tired of turn-based strategy games after a while, I'm not convinced that automatic battles are the solution. Perhaps if I dedicate more time to it, my opinion might change, but for now, I haven't been too impressed. The graphics are stunning though, as is always the case for Vanillaware games.

bigedole

Automated battles? Hmm, an interesting choice. While I may grow tired of turn-based strategy games after a while, I'm not convinced that automatic battles are the solution. Perhaps if I dedicate more time to it, my opinion might change, but for now, I haven't been too impressed. The graphics are stunning though, as is always the case for Vanillaware games.
I want to address this because it's brought up as a negative now and then. You should think of this as a game similar to Fire Emblem with WAY more depth in the mechanics. In Fire Emblem, each unit has a specific attack they execute and it follows a combonation of rock paper scissors + stats to determine the outcome. Unicorn Overlord is like this on crack. There's a rock paper scissors mechanic that has several layers of depth, and then each unit is capable of unique attacks on top of it. You program the unit as far as what attacks to use in which situations and anyone who says this is a simple system is not someone who has really gotten to the meat of the game. I'm in my third zone now and the tactics gets quite complex as you're getting the individual members of the unit to work cohesively. It's really really satisfying to set it up well and there's really a limitless set of possibilities as far as formation permutations and tactics. Last night I spent 2 hours just reworking my armies after getting everyone promoted and getting access to new gear w/ new attacks.

You're not really meant to watch every battle's animations (but I do often especially when outcomes aren't in line with my expectations as you learn what works and what didn't work the way you thought it would ) and if you think of it as setting up your formations and then moving them around just like you would in Fire Emblem and watching the outcome of the fight it really is not all that different. But far more satisfying :) Not all games are for everyone but this is definitely one of my favorite new game experiences from the past few years at least.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
After the first big boss encounter where you choose a path I decided to move up to Expert difficulty. Some encounters were just way too easy. It's back to being fairly challenging again. I'm about 15hrs in now. The strategy tied to character actions is really deep. That's the main reason to watch battles play out, so you can tweak and optimize the squad effectiveness. The game plays more from the perspective of a battle strategist, not a field commander or squad leader.

Last edited:

Isa

I want to address this because it's brought up as a negative now and then. You should think of this as a game similar to Fire Emblem with WAY more depth in the mechanics. In Fire Emblem, each unit has a specific attack they execute and it follows a combonation of rock paper scissors + stats to determine the outcome. Unicorn Overlord is like this on crack. There's a rock paper scissors mechanic that has several layers of depth, and then each unit is capable of unique attacks on top of it. You program the unit as far as what attacks to use in which situations and anyone who says this is a simple system is not someone who has really gotten to the meat of the game. I'm in my third zone now and the tactics gets quite complex as you're getting the individual members of the unit to work cohesively. It's really really satisfying to set it up well and there's really a limitless set of possibilities as far as formation permutations and tactics. Last night I spent 2 hours just reworking my armies after getting everyone promoted and getting access to new gear w/ new attacks.

You're not really meant to watch every battle's animations (but I do often especially when outcomes aren't in line with my expectations as you learn what works and what didn't work the way you thought it would ) and if you think of it as setting up your formations and then moving them around just like you would in Fire Emblem and watching the outcome of the fight it really is not all that different. But far more satisfying :) Not all games are for everyone but this is definitely one of my favorite new game experiences from the past few years at least.
The Office Thank You GIF

Well put! Its been sad to see people put off the game thinking its an auto battler when its not really. Part RTS like their other games with a heavy SRPG component as well. And people claiming the game is piss easy I think never got to later areas because unit complexity becomes a huge factor. But gear, placement and working with each unit's skills and pp is very important.

Still working through Elheim myself and loving it.

For those who don't know, they nerfed the game's difficulty levels from demo to final release version. I noticed that Tactical was much easier than i remembered from the demo. So out of curiosity I upgraded to Expert difficulty and immediately noticed the game is harder now. Enemy units have more HP and hit harder. Suddenly the class advantages matter a lot. I was actually running out of stamina on my units because they actually had to engage with enemy units more than once to kill them, and if I brought the wrong unit classes to the fight I was actually getting my front line wiped out. Guess I'll stick with this awhile, Expert difficulty makes me feel like I have to actually use my brain and think about what I'm doing, something I never had to do in Tactical difficulty. I've even been using the Valor skills quite a bit now!

Boneless

So I get the difference from a tactical perspective, but in combat does this game play a bit like a turn based jrpg? What are the differences?

Interested in this game, may buy after I finish rebirth.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Isa

KXVXII9X

So I get the difference from a tactical perspective, but in combat does this game play a bit like a turn based jrpg? What are the differences?

Interested in this game, may buy after I finish rebirth.
Think more Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and Ogre Battle (especially this), and less Final Fantasy, Pokémon, and Dragon Quest kind of turn based gameplay. The actual battles play out automatically, but you can change each setting of the AI and manipulate when each and every attack should trigger. The characters in a unit all work off another and buff and shield each other. It also changes their behavior based on how you position them within their unit. This is all independent of the RTS gameplay in the battlefield. You have traps and hazards, valor skills that open up a lot of strategy, stamina management, and using towers and such to support and take out far away foes.

This is getting ridiculous! Every time I go to play FFVII Rebirth I instead end up playing Unicorn……what this game is doing to me!? Why the hell its so addicting?
I'm not even a big fan of SRPGs, tbh, I find myself enjoying the gameplay loop of Unicorn Overlord more than that of FFVIIR. 🤷 For now, I've set FFVIIR aside and I'm 100% focusing on Unicorn Overlord.

Last edited:

Boneless

Think more Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and Ogre Battle (especially this), and less Final Fantasy, Pokémon, and Dragon Quest kind of turn based gameplay. The actual battles play out automatically, but you can change each setting of the AI and manipulate when each and every attack should trigger. The characters in a unit all work off another and buff and shield each other. It also changes their behavior based on how you position them within their unit. This is all independent of the RTS gameplay in the battlefield. You have traps and hazards, valor skills that open up a lot of strategy, stamina management, and using towers and such to support and take out far away foes.

Thanks, that makes it much clearer for someone who has never played any of the tactical games you mention.

I'm not even a big fan of SRPGs, tbh, I find myself enjoying the gameplay loop of Unicorn Overlord more than that of FFVIIR. 🤷 For now, I've set FFVIIR aside and I'm 100% focusing on Unicorn Overlord.

Another reason I am not buying this before finishing FF7R, saves me the temptation. :)

Last edited:
Blazing through Elheim after seizing Drakenhold, the music in this region is my favourite thus far, so good, enchanting and fairytale-esque as is befitting of a land of elves. More importantly, I've got Alain running that harem unit:

bHTRw7W.jpg

Another favourite unit of mine, if you know you know...:

GaHxZAS.jpg

A few observations/tips/tricks after 30 hours of play, some might be obvious but it might help some, especially those just starting out:

- I was ignoring those NPC battles that teach you about different classes after the first few hours but if you can wipe out all their HP you'll get gold, starts at 2000, now getting 3000, that's a lot of money that adds up.

- before liberating an area you have enemies running around that can engage you. Guess what? You'll want to engage ALL of them! Once again, if you can wipe all their HP you're awarded precious honors, 2-3 ATM, I expect that to increase in later regions. Once the area is liberated they all disappear. EDIT: turns out you'll get those honors regardless 👌

- mining is your friend, seriously. Each region has 5 treasure maps found while mining, these treasures have some of the best weapons/accessories in the game.

- on the subject of treasure, you will want to make the stone carving quest in each region a priority as they reward weapons that grant a whopping +5 to ALL stats.

- capturing watchtowers should be a prime objective on every map. Stationing a mage/archer means FREE combat assists in every battle and if the unit itself is attacked they have garrison benefits anyway. Of course, mages/archers have relatively low mobility so cavalry is your friend. Have Cavalry as unit leader, quickly get to watchtower, spend 1 command point to change leaders, profit.

Anyway, there's a lot more I could write but I'll leave it there for now. My army is at rank A and I'm steamrolling the opposition. I've been playing on Tactical from the start and find it on the easy side, maybe I'll bump it up to Expert though just giving enemies more HP sounds tedious and not actually more challenging, try it and see I guess, the game is so damn good 👌

Edit: forgot to mention how satisfying it was to see a decision I made in the first couple of hours of play bear fruit 30 hours later, very cool stuff!

Last edited:
- before liberating an area you have enemies running around that can engage you. Guess what? You'll want to engage ALL of them! Once again, if you can wipe all their HP you're awarded precious honors, 2-3 ATM, I expect that to increase in later regions. Once the area is liberated they all disappear.
There is NO NEED to do this. Once you have cleared the Liberation fight, they all blow up and you get the accumulated honors automatically. Save yourself a pointless grind.

She is ultimate evasion tank, she almost dodges everything.
XEBxON8cNcRkfFKFlkUVcGPUqvmEUUSi-Uciro_UnKJsAa7Fx-JXWiSzfhpkOAVV_4LMz4-TDUT9Hw=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd-v1-rwa
It's too bad you can't get anymore Heavenswing Knights until very late in the game.

Ochlys is broke as shit because she's a flying unit with high evasion but she can also take a hit when she does fail to evade (unlike Travis). Because she's flying she has inherent advantages over all ground units who do -50% damage to her and she negates other flying units advantage over ground units. If you want a good laugh, use her as the solo tank in your front line, throw the Counter belt on her, and give her the Sanguine Blade. Once in a while, an enemy hits her, but every time an enemy attacks, she hits them back and heals herself. Make sure that she always opens a round with 1 use of her active skill that boost her defense by 20%. This is made even more hilarious by her passive which boosts her accuracy every time an enemy misses, her Counters basically ALWAYS hit. There's basically nothing she can't kill short of Hoplites. Witness the strength of an angel!

Last edited:
There is NO NEED to do this. Once you have cleared the Liberation fight, they all blow up and you get the accumulated honors automatically. Save yourself a pointless grind.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that but it's far from a "grind" lol, 1 shot kill with battle skip takes 2 seconds, still worth doing if you want to grab some materials in the area without immediately doing the mission 👍 Did you learn anything from the rest of my post? lol

Last edited:
  • Fire
Truth. Anyone know how much actually changes depending on who you pick? I can't imagine it's a whole lot.
There is a limited amount of unique dialogue in the ending for every single waifu.

If you are legit interested in seeing all of it, wait until you are about to take on the game's final quest and save your game before marrying someone. Then you can repeatedly marry another waifu and beat the game to see all the unique dialogue.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can't wait to dive into this once I'm done with Dragon's Dogma 2.

How's the gameplay? I never played an Ogre Battle one, but from the outside this looks like a mix of that with the FFXII gambit system.

• Praise the Sun
So this is pretty dope, I'm usually holding down R2 to speed up the battle (looking at normal speed now literally looks like slo-mo lol) but I'd noticed something looked different in these 2 animations despite being the same attack skill (Meteor Slash). I let it play out at regular speed and:

Wow, very cool stuff! This game is packed with so much heart, soul and attention to detail, it actually makes me want to go back and clock another 100 hours with Dragon's Crown when I'm done with it.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Amazing game.

is there a way to change the camera view during combat to a more panoramic one where I can see everyone at once instead of the zoom in to whoever is acting? That’s the only real complaint I can make thus far.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My god this game is consuming my life, I spend 60 + hours in to this game I'm still not close bing done.

I need go back to play some FFVII Rebirth but this game wont let me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My god this game is consuming my life, I spend 60 + hours in to this game I'm still not close bing done.

I need go back to play some FFVII Rebirth but this game wont let me.
I'm the opposite - I put in 80 hours on Rebirth (and finished it), now sinking into this game and I'm 12 hours in and loving it.

Top Bottom