• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord |OT| Vanilla Force

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just unlocked the Colosseum.

excited oh boy GIF

near

Gold Member
They did but it's selling out fast because it's still in high demand.

Anyway, we'll see tomorrow how many Switch copies they sold this past week since I'm curious as well about the demand.
Based on that statement released by Atlus last week it seems that they aren't printing enough copies, as they specifically recommended to make reservations for the next shipment. Sucks either way, hope it sells well, I did my bit.

bigedole

Aight, I've settled on Melisandre after running through the options šŸ˜‚. This games an absolute joy.
I just finished Elfheim. I can't decide between Rosalinde and Eltoinde. Scarlett is in the mix but she feels a bit boring and her rapport conversations were very naggy lol. The elf girls just like him.

Celcius

Ā°Temp. member
What kind of fun squads did you guys make?
I had an all elf squad, an all angels squad, a squad with 3 flying mounts (2 griffins and a wyvern) + a priestess + magic user, a horse knight squad, etcā€¦

Complistic

I just finished Elfheim. I can't decide between Rosalinde and Eltoinde. Scarlett is in the mix but she feels a bit boring and her rapport conversations were very naggy lol. The elf girls just like him.
I liked the elves, the lifespan difference is too big a bummer for me though.

Both Drakenhold and Elheim are 100%, I now roam the land of the Bestrals where the OST continues to shine bright and new classes continue to wow, this game is so damn good, think Rebirth might have some competition for my GOTY. Oh and the provisioner NPC in Bastorias = god-tier šŸ˜†

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
WHAT IN THE FUCK!?

I thought I finally beat her Colosseum but then she suddenly turn in to some kind of super saiyan and beat my ass down.

I started laughing as I beat Amalia on my very first attempt and then... lol

Nearing the end of the Bastorias quest, can't wait to see what the final region has in store for me. Slowly creeping up on 60 hours now and restoring towns to their former glory while being dazzled by a fireworks show still hasn't gotten old.

cabbage5k2

What kind of fun squads did you guys make?
I had an all elf squad, an all angels squad, a squad with 3 flying mounts (2 griffins and a wyvern) + a priestess + magic user, a horse knight squad, etcā€¦

I have pretty good squad that consists of Alain in the front row and Sharon, Clive and Rolf in the back row, all being promoted. They made it (all being lv 17) past the Cult Quartet round (or round 21 in the Coliseum) thus being able to beat higher level squads to a certain degree. The equipment on them is as follows:

Alain has a Kingsblade Cornix, granting him a +5 to all stats
An azure crest shield granting him +1 pp
A lapis pendant for another pp
And Citadel Guard's Sabatons for the time being for generating more ap with each guard

Sharon is still a work in progress but she currently has a Defender's Mace for the Quick Barrier ability (50% damage reduction) and the +1 pp
A lapis Pendant
And a lucky coin being used for nothing (not sure why this is still on her)

Clive has a black iron spear
Holy Knight's Shield for the healing with active skill use (honestly just on him for more defense tbh)
A gauntlets for no true reason (no point in guarding when Alain does it for you)
And a Carnelian Pendant for +1 ap

And lastly MVP Rolf comes in with an Interrogator's Bow for Healing Hunter (skill that counter attacks an enemy's healing active skill) and +1 pp
A bronze bangle for shits and giggles (I really have to review their damn equipment a bit more than I thought)
And a lapis and carnelian pendant for +1 ap and pp

The team essentially functions where Alain gets a first shot in with Rolf following up with Pursuit and then Alain guard tanks everything while Sharon provides support with quick heal and refresh, countering most afflictions before they build up on Alain. Alain also helps counter back row attackers with his luminous guard ability and keeps his hp up with lean edge as needed. Clive provides large amounts of damage with Wild Rush and Assaulting Lance and Rolf acts as a dodge tank counter and clean up crew with pursuit and Dual Shot.

This team has problems with mages (though they still get wiped by this team), but especially Hoplites/Legionnarres as I have no good way around their armor/guarding abilities with this team. Been having great success with it and I hope that it continues to be strong as I equip better equipment over time. Most of my other squads are far more work in progress, so I won't post them yet. I'm playing on Tactical mode too, so results will vary on Expert/True Zenoiran.

Reactions: Isa

Elitro

The Game is really addictive. It reminds me a bit of the last remnant (which I loved back then). I'm still experimenting with squad comps, but there are so many units that Is taking me quite some time (and new recruits mix things up).
Still only at 2nd/3rd area, but I'm trying to complete each area as much as possible. While completing areas is sort of a recipe (the same quests) it still feels fun and not a chore.
This game is definitely a sleeper hit. I'm glad for the demo.

Orbital2060

Ive just been chucking new members of the liberation into units as they come. They sometimes join in pairs or more, and unit setups have worked out well enough so far. Just a bit unsure what tanks to use when, like Ive seen npc using gladiators in front row but my Bruno dies miserably far too often, probably need some healing or other back up. Morden the warrior is doing pretty good in front of Alain who covers for him sometimes. Ive hired one more hoplite for general tank purpose, with the perks for HP and avoidance growth. But Im not sure what other classes are good to tank, some other classes have shields too but how good are they for taking damage, like the dark knight and radiant knight etc.

Is there any reason not to promote characters? I promoted Alain which was nice since it unlocked horse riding in the overworld but is anything lost when doing so? It didnt seem like it from the skill menus but maybe I missed something.

The music in Albion is god-tier, pun intended. Also, beat Amalia, Clive was the last man standing and delivered the killing blow. Clive's Harem Unit was already nigh invincible, switching in Amalia for Melisandre and it's now untouchable lol, might just put her another unit to boost it's power, Clive's really doesn't need it.

Isa

This interaction between Alain and Celeste was hilarious :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I loved it. For me its weird hearing the English dialogue lol. I prefer the more feminine Japanese voices.

Poor Scarlettā€¦..she has too many rivals.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
For real, I wonder the final ratio will be and if Vanillaware will take notes haha. Its great to have options but dang there are some tough decisions lol. For my first run I went Rosalinde, she was just too cute and honest with her emotions for me, plus I love chocolate dark elves. Woulda gone Railanor but maybe next time. Kept loading my save too see the differences.

I loved it. For me its weird hearing the English dialogue lol. I prefer the more feminine Japanese voices.

For real, I wonder the final ratio will be and if Vanillaware will take notes haha. Its great to have options but dang there are some tough decisions lol. For my first run I went Rosalinde, she was just too cute and honest with her emotions for me, plus I love chocolate dark elves. Woulda gone Railanor but maybe next time. Kept loading my save too see the differences.
Tbh, I play with the English voice acting because it's decent enough, and since I usually play on my Portal, I can easily get distracted and might miss out on the dialogue with Japanese voice acting as I would need to read the subtitles.

That said, good choice on the waifu there. I might go with Rosalinde as well; have a soft spot for cute slim dark elves. :p

Oh and I captured two more short clips, this one with Galadmir & Lex and then the one between Galadmir & Eltolinde.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Unlocking towns and stationing guards is really addicting. The more you station the more supplies and coin you get after encounters. I'm about 17hrs in now. Just started pushing into Drakenhold. Playing on Expert definitely provides a challenge and requires you optimize units, items, and strategy. It's gratifying to lose a battle and then do some heavy tweaking and return and get the victory. I think that's really the essence of the game...that and hot waifus.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FINALLY after 130 hours, I managed to finish the game and it was sooooo good.

the last fight seem almost impossible on expert difficulty but changing unites around and changing my tactics and I managed to beat it and it felt super satisfyingā€¦..it was tough fight but also very fun.

near

Gold Member
FINALLY after 130 hours, I managed to finish the game and it was sooooo good.

the last fight seem almost impossible on expert difficulty but changing unites around and changing my tactics and I managed to beat it and it felt super satisfyingā€¦..it was tough fight but also very fun.
Do you unlock a harder difficulty mode upon completing? Or anything else worth noting that you unlock?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just completed the 'General in Black' quest in Drakenhold. On Expert difficulty it gave me some trouble and I failed twice. I gave in decided to do it on Tactical and it was wayyy too easy so I quit and put in the work tweaking for the level on Expert. Once I added a couple more units and created some specialized units it went much better. The bigger issue was that I wasn't taking the strongholds in the optimal order. I smashed right through after I finally activated my brain a bit. It was a cool battle and it feels awesome to take on the challenge and gain a deeper understanding of the game.

I believe I have 8 units of 4 now. There's plenty of variety with specialized squads for different scenarios. Being able to choose different squad leaders to gain different special abilities is really awesome. I made a couple units with archers as leaders and one with a healer that provide covering firing and healing before each clash. In the bigger battles being able to remove a squad from one area using disembark(?) and then re-deploy them from another stronghold is really convenient. I don't watch all the battles play out like I did during the first 10hrs or so. Only when I need to see how certain squads or tactics play out. It's awesome to see how a certain squad won't put a dent into a certain enemy squad, but rotate in a different squad and they absolutely fucking crush them. Love it.

Anyway, about 22hrs in and game is just getting even better.

Elitro

Finished it and platinumed it. Didnt like the mining mini game and at the end I found myself almost skipping all of the battles, lol. Still an awesome game. 8/10
I didn't look into the achievements to avoid getting spoiled but is there any pitfall i should avoid to ensure i can plat the game in 1 go?

Mitsurux

I'm about 65 hours in, slowly working my way through Albion (sp?), really enjoying this game so far, the systems, combat, etc. Its just really good. I would love to be able to create a few more teams, but that is just a small nitpick.

Side notes -
I'm thinking about recruiting a bunch of characters just so that i can have people stationed at every city in the world.
My Daughter saw me playing the game, she downloaded the Demo and then asked us if we could buy her her own copy (which we did), she is obsessing over it as much as me lol.
Will soon by a physical copy for Switch (Since i couldn't find on at launch.... so triple dip)

Dibbs

I didn't look into the achievements to avoid getting spoiled but is there any pitfall i should avoid to ensure i can plat the game in 1 go?

Btw, just a tip, think about stationing a guard at every town you liberate as the game goes by. That way you'll gather up more materials as they are need to upgrade towns (there's a trophy for upgrading every town in the world).

Last edited:

Elitro

Btw, just a tip, think about stationing a guard at every town you liberate as the game goes by. That way you'll gather up more materials as they are need to upgrade towns (here's a trophy for upgrading every town in the world).
Yes, been doing that. Currently migrated all the guards from the first city to the third.

Top Bottom