• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord |OT| Vanilla Force

Jsisto

The level of customization is almost to the point where it’s overwhelming to even contemplate altering my tactics. I actually wish it was a little more simplified like Ogre Battle. Still love it though!

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The level of customization is almost to the point where it’s overwhelming to even contemplate altering my tactics. I actually wish it was a little more simplified like Ogre Battle. Still love it though!
It becomes super addicting, I cant tell you how much hours I spend building my perfect squad and testing out on coliseum and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing your squad synergize together in battle.

Fbh

Going to start this over the weekend.
Any early tips?

Also how is the difficulty like? While I love these tactics games I kinda suck at them, got filtered by hard mode in Triangle Strategy (around the midpoint of the game)

Danjin44

Any early tips?

Also how is the difficulty like? While I love these tactics games I kinda suck at them, got filtered by hard mode in Triangle Strategy (around the midpoint of the game)
I would go with tactical mode, is not too hard but in my opinion expert mode is really fun forces you use your tool more thoughtfully and think about how you build your squad.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Any early tips?

Just start on Story level if you want to and get used to nechanics. If youre not used to the genre. You can change it anytime.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This game has been one of my favorites this year. I spend my mornings gearing up my crew, finishing battles , and then exploring the map at night. I’d go so far as to say this is my favorite game from this developer. This has been great on the Switch.

Last edited:
The fight against Alcina is so much easier once you learn it's trick. The first time I tried I was getting frustrated, the second time I breezed through it.
What's amazing is the attention to detail put into this fight.

Characters who had unique voiced dialogue when entering the battle animation with Alcina:
Alain
Renault
Hodrick
Josef
Rosalinde
Eltolinde
Yahna

Last edited:

Fbh

So is Josef like the usual mentor type knights you get in Fire Emblem who are OP at first and then fall off (thus not really worth leveling up) ? Or is he worth keeping around?

Danjin44

So is Josef like the usual mentor type knights you get in Fire Emblem who are OP at first and then fall off (thus not really worth leveling up) ? Or is he worth keeping around?
Every class and character in this can be useful if invest in them.....

For example at first I ignored elf archers because they didn't seem that great but in of the coliseum fight they absolulty destroyed me.

Fbh

Every class and character in this can be useful if invest in them.....

For example at first I ignored elf archers because they didn't seem that great but in of the coliseum fight they absolulty destroyed me.

I'm sure his class is good, I'm talking more about the character himself.
Like in Fire Emblem you usually have this "mentor" in your team (like Vander in FE Engage) who starts promoted and with higher stats. But they don't have very good growth rates and eventually are left behind by other characters of the same class. I usually bench them because they get little to no XP from beating enemies so they are basically just taking away a bunch of XP that other characters could be gaining for beating the same enemies.

Complistic

He falls off a bit, but he's been in one squad or another my entire 60 hour playthrough.

ranmafan

I’ve finally had the time this week to fully devote myself to the game, and wow what a game it is. This is by far one of my favorite srpgs I’ve played in quite a while. Every battle is fun and it’s that want to liberate more territory just keeps coming. And that classic vanillaware look is just perfect. The translation can be weird at times due to the way it’s rewritten, especially when it leaves out information, but thankfully my Japanese ability helps fill in the gaps.

Oh this just arrived in the mail for me, was hard to get since it kept selling out online for preorders like the game. Thankfully preorders opened up again and now I have the guide for myself:
2fxCfVC.jpg

His stats are flaming trash once your own units catch up with him and hit level 20-ish, but he can still serve ably as mostly a Cleric type unit dishing out heals after he stops being able to tank or DPS anything. Between levels 20-40, he's like a more crappy version of Sainted Knight. However for some reason if you keep the old guy around because you love him and keep his levels increasing, between level 40-50 he gets some insane stat increases

The only issue with this is you can finish the game at level 38-40 so really by the time he gets good again, you're already about to beat it

At least he doesn't just kick the bucket like most of those Fire Emblem mentor types

Last edited:

Fbh

Loving the game so far.
Just got to what I guess is the second big area and it's great how they still keep introducing new unit types in almost every new main mission.
Trying out different unit combinations and optimizing your skills is a blast.

His stats are flaming trash once your own units catch up with him and hit level 20-ish, but he can still serve ably as mostly a Cleric type unit dishing out heals after he stops being able to tank or DPS anything. Between levels 20-40, he's like a more crappy version of Sainted Knight. However for some reason if you keep the old guy around because you love him and keep his levels increasing, between level 40-50 he gets some insane stat increases

The only issue with this is you can finish the game at level 38-40 so really by the time he gets good again, you're already about to beat it

At least he doesn't just kick the bucket like most of those Fire Emblem mentor types

Yeah now that most of my characters are 12-13 he definitely no longer as OP, but I still actively use him.
Also the good thing about this being squad based is that at the beginning he can basically carry the rest of the squad so they level up quickly

Jsisto

Anyone else get a little frustrated with the dynamic camera angles during battle? I’d much prefer a static, panoramic view as everything happens. The way my brain works it makes it very hard to track what’s going on when the camera keeps constantly shifting….wish there was an option to change this.

Complistic

Anyone else get a little frustrated with the dynamic camera angles during battle? I’d much prefer a static, panoramic view as everything happens. The way my brain works it makes it very hard to track what’s going on when the camera keeps constantly shifting….wish there was an option to change this.
Doesn't bother me, but I've seen a couple people make the same comment in here so you're not alone. It's more visibly interesting to me so I kinda like it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

Holly!! I definitely want to give True Zenoiran difficulty a try, sounds fun.

This will be a good reason for a second playthrough. I've only been playing on Expert and haven't gotten hung up on any battle for more than a couple of attempts. Just fully liberated Drakenhold and started Elheim. Maybe it scales crazy later, but it's been a cakewalk 95% of my time so far.

cabbage5k2

I completed Drakenhold and am on the final two quests in Elheim as far as I can tell. Got to rank A pretty early on in Elheim, and only just promoted my first squad to five units after I finished promoting the last of my units. Elheim is more linear, which is... eh. Cruising through the colisseum is still quite fun though, and I have more solid squads now, so I actually more options than just throwing Alain's squad at most everything (Legionnaires are actually quite a brick to Alain squad's offensive capabilities, so I'm beginning to test out different units to see if anyone helps out with that problem). Gryphon Masters and Wyvern Masters are also quite nasty to many units beyond just cavalry because of their avoidance and consequent damage potential. I found that Hilda with her fire breath ability alongside a heavenwyvern rein is able to heavily damage said classes with a boosted truestrike attack, which is quite fun.

Still a truly enjoyable game so far and still running the map on Alain's horse, especially in Cornia with it's amazing overworld themes, is still a blast. Amazing how the devs managed to make the world just seem more and more alive as you liberate more regions in the game.

Filben

Been playing the full version since Friday. Really love the pace of the game, the ability to skip (mundane) battles, to explore and collect, listen to characters. They aren't really deep conversations but from time to time I like these easy to digest plots and conversations. Definitely a game more for its mechanics than story and characters. There are still characters I do like, however, even with that limited personality they have. What I like the most is probably the combination of different gameplay mechanisms and the ability to tinker with unit compositions.

Been wondering if it was better on my Switch because it's so easy to pick up, play a couple of minutes and move on. On the other side, PS5 trophies were too tempting, especially because they don't seem too difficult nor too grindy for this type of game.

Really happy with the game overall at this point.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Make sure you vote for "Yes I would buy a sequel what the hell is wrong with you Sega/Atlus and Vanillaware"
The thing is Vanillaware take long time release new game so when they do make one they want to make new experience rather than sequel, I can respect that.

But I do hope they do make DLC for Unicorn Overlord like they did with Muramasa Rebirth.

Last edited:
Alright, finally finished Rebirth and continued my Unicorn playthrough yesterday. I love this unit, it's non-stop AP/PP replenishment + follow-up attacks:

Albion is 100% clear, just need to visit the sanctuaries and then head towards the final battles in Cornia, currently at 60h clocked. Ultimately I've settled on Rebirth as my overall GOTY but UO is currently at number 2, it's Vanillaware's best work and an instant SRPG classic.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You know your game is good when there are almost daily threads on /v/ with hundreds of posts discussing the waifus.
Honetly, hot waifus is all a game needs to warrant daily threads on /v/.

But yeah, the game seems pretty good based on what little I've played. A bit on the easy side at least at the beggining, been playing on Expert and it's been a cakewalk. Does it get noticeably harder later on?

And that's that

vFKDcjf.jpg

I know Vanillaware isn't in the habit of making sequels but would love if they made an exception here. Ending has two of the best music tracks in the entire game and that's saying a lot. Was surprised that every single recruited character had there own epilogue, very cool stuff. Then after loading back up the save file you're at the castle with ALL of them available to talk to and with multiple lines of dialogue.

Yahna was made my queen, pretty easy choice, but maybe we'll rope in Berengaria for a freaky goth threesome. If we ever do get a sequel I'd love to see a whole new world/characters, more story choices with actual consequences, more mini-games (loved mining!) and more/expanded upon mechanics.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey so, am I supposed to tackle the map however I like to and in whatever order I want? I wasn't expecting the game to be so open, I like that.

Also, man it seems like they really went all out with this game. The size of it and the ammount of content it seems to have is staggering, I'm almost afraid of going into the archives section of the menu. :goog_relieved:

Hey so, am I supposed to tackle the map however I like to and in whatever order I want? I wasn't expecting the game to be so open, I like that.

Also, man it seems like they really went all out with this game. The size of it and the ammount of content it seems to have is staggering, I'm almost afraid of going into the archives section of the menu. :goog_relieved:
So when the game opens up and your advisor asks you which area you want to tackle first I'd strongly recommend picking the one he suggests (e.g. Drakenhold), because if you tackle Elheim first you might end up with your units overleveld when you eventually get to Drakenhold so you'll barely get any XP from the fights there. This is my advice since I saw several people complaining about this on reddit.

Alright, finally finished Rebirth and continued my Unicorn playthrough yesterday. I love this unit, it's non-stop AP/PP replenishment + follow-up attacks:

Albion is 100% clear, just need to visit the sanctuaries and then head towards the final battles in Cornia, currently at 60h clocked. Ultimately I've settled on Rebirth as my overall GOTY but UO is currently at number 2, it's Vanillaware's best work and an instant SRPG classic.

That's great to hear. Is it true that the game is easy even on the highest difficulty or is that complaint overblown?

Top Bottom