• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Reckon this would be a good game for me and the better half to play together? :) I understand that it's not coop, by the way.

Well at least my wife loved it as much as I did. She actually wants to start her second playthrough already and I've heard many others really like it who don't normally game that much. I think it's an excellent choice if your better half is at all for the horror or mystery genres.

partime

So I didn't fully read the comments on this thread and started the episode I first killed a character, now I'm at the part where
Mike meets up with Sam, and he announces that Jessica's dead

Grrr I then realized I restarted Emily & Matts episode because I
triggered the flare for some reason when Emily handed Matt the gun

Now I restarted from scratch, and to kick it up a notch, and because of getting a bit annoyed I have to do this again, I enabled motion controls.

Man this features actually really cool, and it feels like this is how the games suppose to be played. The only concern I have is, will this react successfully later on when I don't have much time to choose the correct response? And there are a few times I need to quickly aim & shoot. I might disable it again before I loose a character over it.

Tcab96

Wait, why are people calling Ashley a Psychopath? Don't remember any kind of psychopathic behavior from her. She was probably my favorite.

I couldn't fucking stand Emily, though.

hbkdx12

So I didn't fully read the comments on this thread and started the episode I first killed a character, now I'm at the part where

In case you're wondering about this specific bit...

He says this regardless if she's dead or not as he never really finds out either way.

Grrr I then realized I restarted Emily & Matts episode because I
triggered the flare for some reason when Emily handed Matt the gun

Now I restarted from scratch, and to kick it up a notch, and because of getting a bit annoyed I have to do this again, I enabled motion controls.

Man this features actually really cool, and it feels like this is how the games suppose to be played. The only concern I have is, will this react successfully later on when I don't have much time to choose the correct response? And there are a few times I need to quickly aim & shoot. I might disable it again before I loose a character over it.

I played from the beginning with motion controls and I think it adds to the experience, they're done pretty well. Even running into motion control jank I still had enough time to make any time sensitive decisions or reactions comfortably.

hbkdx12

Wait, why are people calling Ashley a Psychopath? Don't remember any kind of psychopathic behavior from her. She was probably my favorite.

I couldn't fucking stand Emily, though.

If, as Chris, you
don't choose to save ashley over josh and/or later choose to shoot her at the table, when chris is running from the wendigo and he comes back to the lodge and asks ashley to open the door, she won't do it which leaves him for dead

Also if Emily is bit, there's a scene where Ashley will support mike on killing emily to prevent her from turning not knowing whether or not that's even possible.

Tcab96

If, as Chris, you
don't choose to save ashley over josh and/or later choose to shoot her at the table, when chris is running from the wendigo and he comes back to the lodge and asks ashley to open the door, she won't do it which leaves him for dead

Also if Emily is bit, there's a scene where Ashley will support mike on killing emily to prevent her from turning not knowing whether or not that's even possible.

Ah, I understand. Didn't get either of those scenes in the first paragraph so makes sense why I was confused now. Thanks.

I'm replaying the game where everyone dies. It's funny how some scenes play out so sloppily because the game doesn't have key characters in them.

For example (major spoilers),
in the scene where Mike decides to go get the key from Josh. The game assumes Emily is alive by then and that you either let Mike kill her or let her live which is why Ashley reacts crazily when she reads the info that you can't turn into a Wendigo. So in this playthrough Ashley still reads the book (how did they even get the guy's journal?) and still acts all hastily and so does Sam so for no reason they go after Mike. The game does react well when a character dies at a key moment like when Mike shoots Emily, but not very well when you let a character die through a QTE (Emily dying in the mines creates the sloppy scene above. Another example is if you let Matt die on the hill. Emily will still call out his name in the mines thinking he's alive. You could just say she's losing it but it was clearly intended for Matt to be alive at that point.

Also there are moments in the dialogue where clearly a character that is dead was supposed to speak but can't, yet it's still obvious that they were.

(major end game spoilers)
Also, Mike's plot armor is ridiculous. I had him fail the qte in the sanitarium and the game fades out. Sam goes into the sanitarium the same way she always does and when she opens the door Mike is there fighting the Wendigo even though he was never reached that area when I was playing as him.
The biggest "plot hole" that irked me occurs
if everyone apart from Sam and Mike dies before you reach the cabin for the last time. Even though Sam just saw the heads and bodies of all her friends 10 seconds ago (and can be present for most of their deaths passively anyway by being told about them), she insists to separate from Mike to "warn the others" once they find Josh. That makes absolutely no sense, as she knows that everyone else is dead. She also knows that everyone remaining left with her and thus the cabin empty just 1 hour ago and since they all died, there was no scene where some said they would return. Then she meets up with Mike anyway just in time for no real reason, which makes the split even worse. Then they continue on saying stuff like "maybe someone is down there who survived".

Just pretty lazy writing I guess. That was a bit disappointing.

So how gory is this game? I don't mind thrills and scares, but I'm not a huge fan of extreme realistic gore. Is it worse than something like Dead Space?

Reposting this question...

I'm not generally a horror fan but I think the concept of this game is really interesting. I might give it a spin down the road.

One question, I know true to the timeworn horror trope, this game has parts where the female characters are getting chased around in their underwear, towels, etc. Does this happen to the male characters too?

So how gory is this game? I don't mind thrills and scares, but I'm not a huge fan of extreme realistic gore. Is it worse than something like Dead Space?
Some of the deaths are extremely gory, but nothing too disgusting like you see in Saw. I only cringed at one death, cause I hate everything that has to do with throat impaling. You should be fine if you can take some very short but heavy display of gore. Of course if you play smart you can avoid 80% of it. Most of the gore is to punish failure.

Reposting this question...
Nope, it doesnt. Thankfully its not as often and long as you might think for the women, so its not really offending or anything. 2 rather short sections and one of them is optional. Plus all the towels act like solid metal, so there is nothing to be seen anyway lol

Some of the deaths are extremely gory, but nothing too disgusting like you see in Saw. I only cringed at one death, cause I hate everything that has to do with throat impaling. You should be fine if you can take some very short but heavy display of gore. Of course if you play smart you can avoid 80% of it. Most of the gore is to punish failure.
l
Thanks for the info. I'll probably check this out. As long as it's not some crazy Saw type torture stuff that's probably ok for me.

Nope, it doesnt. Thankfully its not as often and long as you might think for the women, so its not really offending or anything. 2 rather short sections and one of them is optional. Plus all the towels act like solid metal, so there is nothing to be seen anyway lol
I see, that's kinda disappointing. If they wanted to go the cheesy route, it would of been better to make in balanced. At least it's not super lopsided as you said.

Thanks for the info.

It'll always select Josh as it has to for story purposes since he's not actually out to hurt anyone. But if you press the lever it's makes the setup pretty clever on the games part. The bubble before the lever is where it specifically tells you to select who you want to save. But they don't tell you what it means to move that lever. So i've seen one playthrough where someone wanted to save Josh and moved the lever toward Ashley thinking it'd make it go toward her and it changed to Josh. And of course if you move it toward Josh then it just goes straight to him. So either way it's setup to be a trick assuming you're trying to save Josh.

Wow that sounds like such a cop-out. I was going to replay and select that option but it doesn't sound like it makes a difference.

Replicant

if everyone apart from Sam and Mike dies before you reach the cabin for the last time. Even though Sam just saw the heads and bodies of all her friends 10 seconds ago (and can be present for most of their deaths passively anyway by being told about them), she insists to separate from Mike to "warn the others" once they find Josh. That makes absolutely no sense, as she knows that everyone else is dead. She also knows that everyone remaining left with her and thus the cabin empty just 1 hour ago and since they all died, there was no scene where some said they would return. Then she meets up with Mike anyway just in time for no real reason, which makes the split even worse. Then they continue on saying stuff like "maybe someone is down there who survived".

I don't see it that way. As far as the others are concerned,
Matt, Jessica, and Emily's fate are a big question mark up to that point. Even when you save all 5 in the cabin, Matt and Jessica do not actually join up with them until the epilogue. So I think it's perfectly fine for Sam to hope against hope that her friends still alive out there despite the odds. I guess there's Jessica head at the end but I don't remember if there's other people's head there.

nib95

Banned
Lmao at the jump scares this game has provided. The camera record feature is amazing. Black taped up the red light so nobody knew, and holy crap are some of the reactions hilarious.

schick85

Yeah, it would have been nice if they had new cutscenes for some of the bad choices you make. When you have Matt killed by the caribou, Emily still goes on and says they separated in the radio tower or something of that magnitude. They took the lazy route alright. Or it probably wasn't meant to be played to kill everyone.

On Demand

Banned
Clue question about 1952

Shouldn't the miner medical report be clue number 7 in the sanatorium?

I got the others in order with the clue update but nothing happens for than one. And the rest I'm finding are higher numbers.

Just finished the game. Only had
Ashley
and
Sam
die,
with Sam surviving right until the very end, after choosing to save Mike
those last "STAY STILL" segments were really nervewrecking.

Ashley died on the mines when she opened the trapdoor after following Jessica's voice. I feel like she was destined to die, after saving her instead of Josh at the beginning.

nib95

Banned
Damn, we had to finally call it quits for the night. I think we have like 3 chapters left to go, so not bad for a single run. Game started off slow and rather campy (as expected and as is traditional for the genre), but my word did in kick in to gear with a vengeance. Have had an absolute riot.

Being the type of genre it is, mechanically it isn't particularly deep, however, the way the butterfly system works, the way genre tropes and ideas are implemented and explored, the setting, the pacing, atmosphere, clues, consequences, story, characters, acting, sense of tension etc, on the whole more than compensate. As far as games in this genre go (e.g. cinematic story based games), this is definitely one of the most accomplished and successful out there.

Excited to finish it.

spekkeh

Banned
Oy vey, beginning of the game and already two characters dead. The first because I failed a stupid QTE, I hope that doesn't become the norm.
I played this together with the missus, but she doesn't like main characters dying, so I'm on my own now, hehe.

Oy vey, beginning of the game and already two characters dead. The first because I failed a stupid QTE, I hope that doesn't become the norm.
I played this together with the missus, but she doesn't like main characters dying, so I'm on my own now, hehe.

You need to bring her back in the room and play the next episode with her.

I don't see it that way. As far as the others are concerned,
Matt, Jessica, and Emily's fate are a big question mark up to that point. Even when you save all 5 in the cabin, Matt and Jessica do not actually join up with them until the epilogue. So I think it's perfectly fine for Sam to hope against hope that her friends still alive out there despite the odds. I guess there's Jessica head at the end but I don't remember if there's other people's head there.
Well Emily can witness Matt's dead, so Sam should know that from her in that case (although its never brought up I guess). Emily can get shot right in front of her face by Mike and Mike recognizes Jessica's head when it rolls past him and Sam. And yeah all their heads and bodies are there, Matt's and Ashley's too iirc.

Where is the preorder DLC placed? Is it inserted in the middle of your playthrough?
It is

Replicant

Well Emily can witness Matt's dead, so Sam should know that from her in that case (although its never brought up I guess). Emily can get shot right in front of her face by Mike and Mike recognizes Jessica's head when it rolls past him and Sam. And yeah all their heads and bodies are there, Matt's and Ashley's too iirc.

It is

Hmm bummer then.

crimilde

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough and only Sam survived. I suck so bad. At least
I got the Wolf to survive too yay
Time for a replay!

Picked this up because it seemed like Supermassive nailed what they were trying to do and so far I'm pretty impressed.

I'm curious though. When does the game save? I kind of wanna turn it off.

Picked this up because it seemed like Supermassive nailed what they were trying to do and so far I'm pretty impressed.

I'm curious though. When does the game save? I kind of wanna turn it off.

Every time you make a decision, I think.

Though I'd say if you turn it off any time except the beginning of a chapter, you're doing it wrong.

Hmm bummer then.
Yeah, some things irk me, but honestly this kind of stuff rarely burns me on the entire experience like it does for some people. Same with Heavy Rain, which I still love. Perhaps these games cheat a lot, but if it worked the first time I consider it a success regardless.

Definitely get her back, she got the wrong impression I would say. The prologue is set in stone for obvious reasons.

When does the game save? I kind of wanna turn it off.
It saves a lot supposedly.

Mecca

I noticed that even if
Jessica
survives,
Mike still identifies the head as Jessica's when it rolls by him and Sam

TripOpt55

I'm surprised to say I enjoyed this a good bit. I don't typically like these types of games and the first hour or so was pretty boring, but it really turned into a fun, tense horror experience. Some thoughts:

-The "Don't Move" segments were really a cool idea and captured the feeling of being in similar moments in movies.
-I'm so used to being able to just replay sections when I die, so I never really worry about it. Here that isn't the case and it made it all really tense.
-They really nailed the atmosphere of these types of movies.
-They did a great job with the whole butterfly effect thing. You get rewarded with stuff for exploring areas. Your decisions affect character relationships. And both of those play into who survives later. Pretty neat stuff.
-Those last three made exploring the environments really enjoyable for me.
-I thought the characters would annoy me and I might not care about keeping them alive, but the devs were smart to pair them the way they did. You end up caring for some of them because the person you are playing as does. Mike also grew on me a lot just because of how he ended up acting (in my game at least).
-Sam was my favorite. Emily was my least favorite.
-I only lost one character and it was
----Matt----
. They got killed
with a meat hook (I think) through the jaw after the falling tower section.
I see how I screwed up now reading about the game a bit, but I was really trying to have people stick together and be loyal to each other and help each other when they could. That seemed to work for me most of the game, but bit me there.
-I thought the first big twist was pretty obvious.
The one with Josh being the crazy masked dude. All the movie stuff and so on at the house gave it away.

Overall a fun time. I'm glad I gave it a try. I mostly did because I like slasher movies, but was unsure of this style of game because I don't typically like these, but it was really well-done for what it is. I'd certainly welcome another one of these some day. Not a sequel necessarily, but a whole new scenario. Either American Horror Story-style like some have mentioned or just a wholly different thing altogether.

Drewfonse

Any beginners tips? I'm thinking of starting it soon now that I finished MGS5.

Don't beat yourself up over making a "mistake" and getting a character or six killed.

I've lost a few over the first half of the game, and it's only fueling my desire for a replay. I was genuinely pissed off after one of the deaths.

Such a great game.

I like this a hell of a lot better than Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls. That said I still don't think it's worth 60 dollars.

I rented it and thought that was enough. That's the problem with these games unfortunately. Maybe 20 bucks I could see it but the production values and polish really doesn't make this a good genre as far as recouping money.

hesido

I like this a hell of a lot better than Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls. That said I still don't think it's worth 60 dollars.

I rented it and thought that was enough. That's the problem with these games unfortunately. Maybe 20 bucks I could see it but the production values and polish really doesn't make this a good genre as far as recouping money.

Sure, if you are going to play it only once, 60usd is a bit much. But there's so much more content in this than a worth of single playthrough, so at least at launch it's not fair to ask anything other than a full retail price, and many people would like to see alternate scenes.

Sure, if you are going to play it only once, 60usd is a bit much. But there's so much more content in this than a worth of single playthrough, so at least at launch it's not fair to ask anything other than a full retail price, and many people would like to see alternate scenes.

You can platinum it with a rental. I'm not saying it's not good, it is. But it still falls in the same category as others in its genre.

The Order 1886 had the same problem but that was just terrible design. There is only so much you can do with this these types of games with replay value.

Top Bottom