• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

jmaine_ph

Just beat it with everyone surviving. Really wish
I let Emily die.
but otherwise this game was fantastic. Loved the story, environment, visuals, just everything. Some technical issues like frame rate and audio but nothing that kept me from loving it. I give this game a 9/10!

CREMSteve

I have no clue how some of you are beating the game with everyone surviving. I've lost multiple people and the scenarios didn't give me any opportunity to save them. There must be decisions I'm making along the way that doom these characters long before they actually die. Pretty cool system, that's making me want to go back and play again to get a different result.

No one answered my question about the preorder dlc, how do you play it if you didn't preorder? Is it available as a separate purchase?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Without being too explicit, was there a way I could have saved
Josh, after Chris chose Ashley during the blade on rails scene, probably around chapter four

I have no clue how some of you are beating the game with everyone surviving. I've lost multiple people and the scenarios didn't give me any opportunity to save them. There must be decisions I'm making along the way that doom these characters long before they actually die. Pretty cool system, that's making me want to go back and play again to get a different result.

No one answered my question about the preorder dlc, how do you play it if you didn't preorder? Is it available as a separate purchase?
You should check PSN for it, but Sony will likely charge $5 for it and truth be told its NOT worth that much. Its neat and should have been included with the game, but very brief (around 10-15 minutes). Also only like 2 characters can be doomed with early choices.

Well that's what I was wondering after I finished the game with three survivors . It's really an interesting system and sometimes the choices that doom the characters are purely coincidental or just bad luck. Though there were two occasions where I clearly made mistake myself. Well only makes the second playthrough that much more interesting.

If I had to guess, sowing dissent is probably a bad idea? I started off making everyone as mad at each other as possible because I thought it'd be funny. Not the best idea, at the moment there are a bunch of isolated people

If I had to guess, sowing dissent is probably a bad idea? I started off making everyone as mad at each other as possible because I thought it'd be funny. Not the best idea, at the moment there are a bunch of isolated people
It can affect a few things, but for the most part you will probably just get pissy dialog lol

Carl

Got this on release day but then had to go on holiday so i only just finished it.

What a game. I wouldn't say i worked out who the "killer" was, but i kind of thought it was a cop-out after not actually seeing Jessica or Emily die. I thought it was someone playing tricks when i found the fake newspapers and the dead pig. But Josh? That was not something i expected.

Didn't see the game going all supenatural-ish after the reveal but it was definitely the best part of the game

Ended the game with 2 survivors -
Chris and Sam

Had everyone alive until
the mines. Then i had Ash open the trap door and get slaughtered. Josh wasn't far behind. Then Jessica and Matt got mauled. Then i oopsied and accidentally blew up the house with Mike and Em inside it. Oh well

Really can't wait to play it again and see how things could have changed.

Supermassive did a wonderful job, as did all of the actors and actresses. Josh's actor was frankly amazing. Stormare was incredible too. Ashley and Sam were great. Hell i can't think of one who didn't do a great job

Replicant

Well that's what I was wondering after I finished the game with three survivors . It's really an interesting system and sometimes the choices that doom the characters are purely coincidental or just bad luck. Though there were two occasions where I clearly made mistake myself. Well only makes the second playthrough that much more interesting.

From what I can gather from 2 playthroughs, There are 3 characters you can automatically lose from negligence or not knowing that other character's action have repercussion on these characters:

Matt
* If you didn't find the flare gun or gave it to him
* If you chose to make him a doormat and tried to save Emily (despite her being a B) instead of saving yourself

Jessica
* If you chose the long way to get to her as Mike. You must chose ALL the quick routes.
* I failed 1 QTE and she's still alive when I got there. But I think if you fail 2 or more QTEs, she'd die?

Chris
* If you piss off Ashley by trying to shoot her in the mock life/death situation created by Josh.

The others are pretty much live or die based on your ability to successfully follow horror movie rules and be good at the QTEs.

nib95

Banned
The audio mix wasn't ideal on my two speaker set up (large floor standing professional speakers running through a reciever). I had to drop both music (by about 25%) and sound effect (by about 20%) volumes in the games audio settings, whilst leaving vocals at max. Only then did things sound properly balanced.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The others are pretty much live or die based on your ability to successfully follow horror movie rules and be good at the QTEs.

That's what I love about this game (aside from Hayden*) - I saved every character on my first playthrough with no walkthrough because I watch 4 horror movies a week.

Hayden_Panettiere_Gallery_6.png

From what I can gather from 2 playthroughs, There are 3 characters you can automatically lose from negligence or not knowing that other character's action have repercussion on these characters:

I'm still in the middle of my second playthrough, but that's pretty much how I thought it goes. I actually didn't try to follow horror movie rules on my first playthrough, I just chose the most interesting option or what seemed the right thing to do. I tried to make it the most fun experience and now on my second I try so save all. On my first playthrough
I think I lost everyone in the last two chapters besides Matt.

Voror

This may seem an odd question, but I was hoping to do a Let's Play of this game since this seemed a pretty good one to do that with but what would be the best method to go about it? I have a capture card, but would getting the Playstation Camera be a good thing to go with?

CREMSteve

Just finished my first run. Made some stupid mistakes and lost a number of characters. I was furious with myself whenever it happened. Will start a second play through right away.

Question though, after you beat the game, it lets you revisit chapters. How does this work? Do you go back in, make different decisions and play through the remainder of the game? Or can you change something and then jump right to the last chapter to see the impact?

Fantastic game though, it's perfect in every way. A+, 10/10, whatever you want to call it, it was an awesome ride start to finish.

B-Dex

Just finished my first run. Made some stupid mistakes and lost a number of characters. I was furious with myself whenever it happened. Will start a second play through right away.

Question though, after you beat the game, it lets you revisit chapters. How does this work? Do you go back in, make different decisions and play through the remainder of the game? Or can you change something and then jump right to the last chapter to see the impact?

Fantastic game though, it's perfect in every way. A+, 10/10, whatever you want to call it, it was an awesome ride start to finish.

If you make changes you have to keep playing. It only uses your original choices otherwise.

sappyday

I somehow got everyone alive in my first playthrough up until the last chapter. I realized the simple mistake that I made and in my third playthrough (after my kill everyone playthrough) I simply chose the other option and got everyone alive this time.

newjeruse

Every major and minor Let's Play creator is going through this game. I wonder if Sony is intentionally marketing the game through that avenue.

Every major and minor Let's Play creator is going through this game. I wonder if Sony is intentionally marketing the game through that avenue.

That's exactly what they did. They sent copies to people that do those as a way of marketing. People were quick to say that they weren't marketing because they didn't see commercials, while ignoring how aggressive they were with Youtube and Twitch. This type of game is more likely to benefit from that type of campaign than a traditional TV ad campaign.

RevenWolf

Matt
* If you didn't find the flare gun or gave it to him
* If you chose to make him a doormat and tried to save Emily (despite her being a B) instead of saving yourself

Jessica
* If you chose the long way to get to her as Mike. You must chose ALL the quick routes.
* I failed 1 QTE and she's still alive when I got there. But I think if you fail 2 or more QTEs, she'd die?

Chris
* If you piss off Ashley by trying to shoot her in the mock life/death situation created by Josh.

I finished my first play through and everyone survived, unfortunately the first two spoilers you mentioned are incorrect (at least not as black n white as that)
I took the slow route with mike once and Jess was fine, and with Matt I stuck around to save em and the game forced him to safety.

With the last one I suspect
it depends on your overall relationship with her, which does take a huge hit from that

LUXURY

So I'm annoyed. I think I lost
Jessica? I made it to the mines and she was in jeans and a shirt laying on the lift with a slice on her chest and said 'help me' then the lift fell. Does that mean she's dead?

Replicant

I finished my first play through and everyone survived, unfortunately the first two spoilers you mentioned are incorrect (at least not as black n white as that)
I took the slow route with mike once and Jess was fine, and with Matt I stuck around to save em and the game forced him to safety.

With the last one I suspect
it depends on your overall relationship with her, which does take a huge hit from that

Hmm, weird. I once
took the long route and she didn't survive. I wonder if it's the last few prompts which determined her fate.

As for Matt, did you have the flare gun? If so, yes, he will survive. Alternatively, if you tried to help Em at first but then jump to safety on the 2nd prompt, you will still safe. Otherwise, you're definitely screwed unless you have the flare gun.

So I'm annoyed. I think I lost
Jessica? I made it to the mines and she was in jeans and a shirt laying on the lift with a slice on her chest and said 'help me' then the lift fell. Does that mean she's dead?

You're okay.

RevenWolf

Hmm, weird. I once
took the long route and she didn't survive. I wonder if it's the last few prompts which determined her fate.

As for Matt, did you have the flare gun? If so, yes, he will survive. Alternatively, if you tried to help Em at first but then jump to safety on the 2nd prompt, you will still safe. Otherwise, you're definitely screwed unless you have the flare gun.

You're okay.

yes he did have that! Funny how much that affects lol. And with mike I think your right, the only slow part I chose was climbing down the cliff.

My wife is the horror fan, not I, but I picked this up as our new date night thing for the next couple of weeks, and I am enjoying it far more than expected. Like Evil Within last year, I was hoping for a 7.5 experience and was pleased to get a lot more than that^^ Maybe I am more of a horror fan than I thought...

Quick note for importers: we have the Korean version, but it will be only in English unless you change they system language to Korean. I am guessing the same goes for the other foreign editions.

hbkdx12

COPJbRRUkAEAeU8.jpg

Bought this from the Best Buy misprint.

I don't even like horror games. What am I doing to myself? ._,
The game isn't really scary. There's a lot of silly jump scares earlier on but they begin to fade quite a bit as the game begins to take itself more seriously

BTA

Hey guys, finally got to start to play this with 2 friends a few nights ago (one of them's been extremely busy and we started rather late, so it ended up being appropriately a pretty late night) and we're loving it. We just got to the start of the third chapter, and since I caught wind of something about the pre-order bonus chapter I want to ask (essentially) a yes/no question about it.

I put in the code when I got it but didn't check to download anything because I assumed it was actually a prequel thing as some places have stated, and we just wanted to start the game proper. I now know it is apparently weirdly integrated into the game.
If we had a bit in chapter 2 where Matt and Emily went back to look for her luggage on the trail, is that the bonus chapter? Like, using them at all? Or is it specifically an extra bit of that?

This game benefits huge from a pair of headphones. Got it in the price mismatch yesterday and beat it a little while ago. I ended up saving
Chris, Emily, and Sam.

Do you get anything special for getting all the clues and totem poles? I just wanna know if it's worth the time to find them all. Does it change the story at all?

Some of the areas and visuals are fantastic.

For being the 400 machine that it could the ps4 is pumping out good looking exclusives from a graphics stand point. Even killzone still looks great.

This game benefits huge from a pair of headphones. . I ended up saving
Chris, Emily, and Sam.

I agree it's really ideal to play at night with a good pair of headphones. You can just feel that menacing atmosphere and dread. I actually saved all the same on my first playthrough.

Audio was AMAZING in 7.1 surround.

Played only on 5.1, but yeat that was amazing as well. Usually played earlier sessions with surround and used headphones at night. The sound design in the game is just top notch and really helps to set the mood.

I put in the code when I got it but didn't check to download anything because I assumed it was actually a prequel thing as some places have stated, and we just wanted to start the game proper. I now know it is apparently weirdly integrated into the game.
If we had a bit in chapter 2 where Matt and Emily went back to look for her luggage on the trail, is that the bonus chapter? Like, using them at all? Or is it specifically an extra bit of that?
Yeah thats it. The entire scene of them looking for the bags is just skipped over otherwise. Nothing major really. Still sucks of Sony to do that though.

Do you get anything special for getting all the clues and totem poles? I just wanna know if it's worth the time to find them all. Does it change the story at all?
You get a neat "events of the past" video explaining the actions of the mystery man and trophies I believe. You can YouTube that though

BTA

Yeah thats it. The entire scene of them looking for the bags is just skipped over otherwise. Nothing major really. Still sucks of Sony to do that though.

Alright, that's good then. Pretty weird of them to do that but at least we didn't miss it.

You guys are reminding me of my one issue with this game so far: interface spoilers everywhere. I really wish that butterfly effect menu in particular had everything you hadn't triggered yet hidden or something, since we have to turn away every time we pass over that screen. Each of us has already seen something we wish we hadn't (without telling the others) thanks to that screen. Even examining one we already did maybe gave more info than I'd have liked to know since it mentioned something like
nature remaining in balance and who knows what that means yet

There's also that I think they could have used a more interesting theme/framing (even if it's just how it's starting) than Native American mysticism, but they've handled that pretty decently so far, so we'll see.

You get a neat "events of the past" video explaining the actions of the mystery man and trophies I believe. You can YouTube that though

Ah OK. I am going to try to do another play through and save everyone and maybe I'll get those too.

spekkeh

Banned

I already lost half my team before realizing the butterfly system itself gives you some major hints. The totems are pretty worthless imo.

Jess died on my first play through, going back one more time to save her. Great game. really happy with this new trend of gaming that requires no dexterity from the user but still has you engaged in the gameplay. Anyone really can pick up and play.

What a ride! 9/10

This game is great! Having some friends over for a cookout, some don't play games, but they're all captivated at my play through of the game.

I really hope there's dlc or Sony gives the go ahead for a sequel.

On Demand

Banned
Just finished it with 5 survivors. Such a good game. It's the surprise gem of this year.

How many totems did you have by the end? I'm missing like 8. Curious to see that full video. If i continue an episode will my totems and clues still be there?

Top Bottom