• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Aces&Eights

Finally opened this. Played through chapter 6. Wow, what a surprise. This is so well done. My only complaint is that the writing is very natural and performances are great EXCEPT for the CONSTANT allusions to sex in the early game. Geeze.

The sex references were an eye roller for me, too, but alas I fear I personally wasn't much better 25 years ago lol. Ahh, to be young and have raging hormones.... I will say that I feel some of it is there to toughen up your choices later.

Finally opened this. Played through chapter 6. Wow, what a surprise. This is so well done. My only complaint is that the writing is very natural and performances are great EXCEPT for the CONSTANT allusions to sex in the early game. Geeze.

Sex references/in-your-end-o were largely there to make fun of teenagers in horror movies where sex is all they think about.

My friends and I finished our first playthrough (where we passed the controller, made decisions as a group and were drunk as fuck) with half of the people dying. Funny enough we know exactly what to do for the future. I'm doing another playthrough right now.

gadwn

Finished it a couple of days ago, amazing experience. Well worth full price, will play it again for sure.

I hope we will get a "sequel" of some kind in the future. I need more big budgeted games like this.

derExperte

Seriously? I swear mine is stuttering like hell. Im about 3 hours in. Thats not some "pc master race joke post". I am absolutely serious. It looks like a slide show.

From earlier in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWOWDU3PgYU Framerate is obviously messy but the reactions when you bring it up are as expected so ignore the 'everything's fine' posts. Now if it's worse than that your PS4 might indeed have a problem. Was it in sleep mode? Then restart. Or try rebuilding the database (see Google) or something, I faintly remember someone having really bad stuttering but can't recall the fix.

Jigorath

Banned

Early spoilers.

Jessica's "We're gonna fuck!" speech is one of my favorite parts of the game.
I was laughing my ass off.

Dinjooh

Early spoilers.

Pretty much this. My girlfriend and I couldn't stop laughing whenever another 'not-so-subtle' attempt at sexual innuendo blasted through our speakers.

Early spoilers.

"and it's gonna be hot"

There are lots of cheesy cringey dialouges. But the voice actings are pretty well done so they don't feel poor.

Audioboxer

Amazing game. It's ramp up is amazing as well. Goes all out batshit and revels in it.

Missed some clue in the last chapter that had Josh die. Can someone spoiler tag the answer for me? Everyone else survived.

Beat the game again. This time I played it lone and sober. Saved everybody but Matt.

And sorry but the reasoning is extremely fucking silly and the game kind of went up its own ass imho (after I read why)

-I found a guidance totem that told me to give the flare gun to Matt
- When Emily was falling I attempted to save her twice because lord knows she's looking for any excuse to break up with Matt, so I tried to save her twice and she still fell which is expected.
- Matt jumps to a new landing, I run a bit and a Wendigo gets me and impales me.

And when I go to read why he didn't survive I read that multiple reasons are as to why
1. When we found the map Matt shouldn't have agreed with Emily. He should have said going up there was a stupid idea.
2. When he said that I should have THEN given him the flare gun and attempted to save Emily as with the flare gun I can survive the wendigo.
3. If I don't say no to her in the map he shoots the flare gun automatically so you absolutely HAVE to say no.
4. You could always NOT attempt to save your girlfriend and leave her to die which is what saves him in this instance

And sorry but wow. How was I supposed to know that? I mean the latter makes sense but if there's a way to
attempt to save her and not leave her to die
and it all depends on that and the totem basically lies to me then what the fuck.

Whatever I beat the game. The chapter is basically
at the halfway point
so this next weekend I'll attempt to get the best ending as I luckily no longer have to search around as collectibles/totems carry over so I can just dash down the main path everytime. Great game even on a replay.

edit: should probably add that after getting the best ending trophy I don't know if I'll ever play it again. I might keep it installed if I ever bring somebody and we don't know what to do and let them play it. It'd be a great to play with a date if she likes horror. But by myself? No no no. I already know what choices to do to get the best ending.

oatmeal

Banned
Through chapter 4.

At first I was like "this analyst bit is a carbon copy of Shattered Memories", but as things started changing I was like "the fuck"

Loving it so far. Loving it.

BTA

Beat the game again. This time I played it lone and sober. Saved everybody but Matt.

And sorry but the reasoning is extremely fucking silly and the game kind of went up its own ass imho (after I read why)

-I found a guidance totem that told me to give the flare gun to Matt
- When Emily was falling I attempted to save her twice because lord knows she's looking for any excuse to break up with Matt, so I tried to save her twice and she still fell which is expected.
- Matt jumps to a new landing, I run a bit and a Wendigo gets me and impales me.

And when I go to read why he didn't survive I read that multiple reasons are as to why
1. When we found the map Matt shouldn't have agreed with Emily. He should have said going up there was a stupid idea.
2. When he said that I should have THEN given him the flare gun and attempted to save Emily as with the flare gun I can survive the wendigo.
3. If I don't say no to her in the map he shoots the flare gun automatically so you absolutely HAVE to say no.
4. You could always NOT attempt to save your girlfriend and leave her to die which is what saves him in this instance

And sorry but wow. How was I supposed to know that? I mean the latter makes sense but if there's a way to
attempt to save her and not leave her to die
and it all depends on that and the totem basically lies to me then what the fuck.

Whatever I beat the game. The chapter is basically
at the halfway point
so this next weekend I'll attempt to get the best ending as I luckily no longer have to search around as collectibles/totems carry over so I can just dash down the main path everytime. Great game even on a replay.

edit: should probably add that after getting the best ending trophy I don't know if I'll ever play it again. I might keep it installed if I ever bring somebody and we don't know what to do and let them play it. It'd be a great to play with a date if she likes horror. But by myself? No no no. I already know what choices to do to get the best ending.

I am still really confused about how that scene works, because my group
tried to save her twice, then jumped because we had to, and still successfully saved ourselves with the flare gun. So now I'm hearing about all this him firing the flare gun upwards in some situations business. Is it really just that saying no in the map scene (as we did) keeps him from doing that? Or is it prior stuff too, given that the Butterfly Effect screen blamed her harsh reaction to him in that scene on us siding with Jessica after their fight near the start of the game? It's kinda weird that it works out like that either way.

tried to save her twice, then jumped because we had to, and still successfully saved ourselves with the flare gun. So now I'm hearing about all this him firing the flare gun upwards in some situations business. Is it really just that saying no in the map scene (as we did) keeps him from doing that? Or is it prior stuff too, given that the Butterfly Effect screen blamed her harsh reaction to him in that scene on us siding with Jessica after their fight near the start of the game? It's kinda weird that it works out like that either way.

From what I can tell it mostly relies on the relationship level you have with Emily - if they aren't on great terms he can keep the flaregun for himself, if they're on pretty good terms he'll fire it to try and help her. A lot of people are using the "agree or disagree about going to the tower" thing as the deciding factor but I believe it's more about the relationship level, and agreeing or disagreeing about the tower is something that can really swing your relationship one way or the other so that may be what people are getting confused about.

according to the guide I found when I googled it
it's if you say no to her when she suggests going up there
. I don't want to go one chapter behind and have to replay even more of the game so to have a slightly different experience I let her
keep it and only had matt attempt to save her once
which hopefully he can
use in his defense later

edit: brb replaying the chapter because apparently (Decently big matt and emily spoiler)
if you question her about mike she admits she cheated on you with him.
Now I could have matt have his own 'ammunition' haha.

Part of the way through chapter 8. I'm probably gonna jinx myself but all my characters are still alive.

Also the graphics are fantastic. Not quite on the level as The Order but definitely a contender for best looking console game.

B-Dex

Teen Slasher movie. Come on man. 💁🏼

Part of the way through chapter 8. I'm probably gonna jinx myself but all my characters are still alive.

Also the graphics are fantastic. Not quite on the level as The Order but definitely a contender for best looking console game.

Not quite as good as The Order, but because Until Dawn doesn't have the black bars, I'd give it the nod.

spekkeh

Banned

That's the point of the genre. Dumb jocks whose hormones make them do stupid stuff and the only virgin survives while all the people who have sex die. (it's kind of nerd vindication now that I think of it)

which is probably why noone actually has sex in this game, gotta save em all

So, just beat the game,
saving everyone but Matt.

I'm already daydreaming about a sequel, which they've been teasing on twitter.
Emily's actress said "Maybe she'll be nicer in the sequel ;)" too.

Here's what I think they'll be able to do for the sequel, given some real world context clues:

I imagine that of the bigger names in the game, (Hayden P, Rami Malek, Brett Dalton and Peter Stormare) they'll be able to get Brett Dalton, and MAYBE Peter Stormare back. Hayden and Rami don't really seem to have mentioned the games on their twitter accounts, and both have decently big shows going. Also, would be wierd to bring back Josh. Brett Dalton (Mike's actor) seems pretty excited to be in this game, so even though he's got a big-ish show too, I could see him being happy to return.

MAYBE they'll be able to bring back Sam. It sounds like this game is a success, and I could see the budget going up for a second installment enough to get Hayden. I doubt that they go the full "import your previous save" route and make the whole game based on that, because it'd be SUPEr expensive to create every permutation. If they do, maybe they make our survivors from the first game NPCs and have us play as a whole new cast of killable teens. Otherwise, I'd most realistically predict a sequel that picks a canon setup (like, Josh is a cannibal, Chris and Ashley got together, Matt and Emily broke up, etc) and has us go from there. It'd be a bit of a bummer for people that want to continue their specific story, but I think it's am uch more doable approach budget/scope wise, and a more focused story would probably be a better story.

My story premise that'd get these characters back together? Few years later, Chris and Ashley are engaged, but Ashley disappears one night Gone Girl-style. They find her beanie or phone or something near the edge of the woods, and engage in one of those massive search efforts where communities rally together to try and find someone. Chris gets his friends to help search, and then things go very wrong.

The more I think about this, the more I consider how much of a dickbag
Josh was- especially to his best friend, Chris.

I mean, Chris didn't even have anything to do with the prank on his sisters, yet he puts Chris through two of the most emotionally stressful situations of his entire prank.
What an asshole.
Initially I thought "Why didn't he get Chris involved in the prank, maybe have a wingman to help out?", but then I just assumed it was too much of a risk that Chris would ruin it for Josh and tell the others should he say "no". Since Chris doesn't seem like a sadistic shithead, I imagine Chris would have said "no". By simply just not inviting Chris, he'd risk too many questions, i.e. "why didn't you invite your best friend?" Still- you'd think Josh would have designed his pranks in a way that wouldn't put his best buddy who had fuck-all to do with that fateful night in such terrible situations.

This is why I was so damn heartbroken in my first playthrough when my dumb ass got Chris killed. Felt horrible for the guy (well, all the characters for what they went through- but especially Chris).

Jigorath

Banned

I mean, Chris didn't even have anything to do with the prank on his sisters, yet he puts Chris through two of the most emotionally stressful situations of his entire prank.
What an asshole.
Initially I thought "Why didn't he get Chris involved in the prank, maybe have a wingman to help out?", but then I just assumed it was too much of a risk that Chris would ruin it for Josh and tell the others should he say "no". Since Chris doesn't seem like a sadistic shithead, I imagine Chris would have said "no". By simply just not inviting Chris, he'd risk too many questions, i.e. "why didn't you invite your best friend?" Still- you'd think Josh would have designed his pranks in a way that wouldn't put his best buddy who had fuck-all to do with that fateful night in such terrible situations.

This is why I was so damn heartbroken in my first playthrough when my dumb ass got Chris killed. Felt horrible for the guy (well, all the characters for what they went through- but especially Chris).

Josh was just a damn crazy person. I wish we could have spent more time with him than maybe I would have understood him better but he got shafted along with Matt and Jessica.

Josh was just a damn crazy person. I wish we could have spent more time with him than maybe I would have understood him better but he got shafted along with Matt and Jessica.
Yeah Chris said
that he has never seen him this way and that he's off his meds.

Also my version of Chris only snapped
Because he punched Ashley besides that he was trying to be supportive

BTA

So, just beat the game,

Here's what I think they'll be able to do for the sequel, given some real world context clues:

I imagine that of the bigger names in the game, (Hayden P, Rami Malek, Brett Dalton and Peter Stormare) they'll be able to get Brett Dalton, and MAYBE Peter Stormare back. Hayden and Rami don't really seem to have mentioned the games on their twitter accounts, and both have decently big shows going. Also, would be wierd to bring back Josh. Brett Dalton (Mike's actor) seems pretty excited to be in this game, so even though he's got a big-ish show too, I could see him being happy to return.

MAYBE they'll be able to bring back Sam. It sounds like this game is a success, and I could see the budget going up for a second installment enough to get Hayden. I doubt that they go the full "import your previous save" route and make the whole game based on that, because it'd be SUPEr expensive to create every permutation. If they do, maybe they make our survivors from the first game NPCs and have us play as a whole new cast of killable teens. Otherwise, I'd most realistically predict a sequel that picks a canon setup (like, Josh is a cannibal, Chris and Ashley got together, Matt and Emily broke up, etc) and has us go from there. It'd be a bit of a bummer for people that want to continue their specific story, but I think it's am uch more doable approach budget/scope wise, and a more focused story would probably be a better story.

My story premise that'd get these characters back together? Few years later, Chris and Ashley are engaged, but Ashley disappears one night Gone Girl-style. They find her beanie or phone or something near the edge of the woods, and engage in one of those massive search efforts where communities rally together to try and find someone. Chris gets his friends to help search, and then things go very wrong.

I would be very surprised (and actually kinda annoyed) if they let you import your save into a sequel given that there's only one save and you have to overwrite it if you want to play again, so there's no way to import your first and/or best play through if you start again after that
or if that playthrough was actually done through the episodes menu

Turnstyle

We just posted our spoiler-free podcast discussion of Until Dawn:

http://quitorcontinue.com/until-dawn-podcast-review/

All four of us really, really enjoyed it. It seems to me like a the sort of game David Cage promised, but never managed to deliver. SuperMassive really nailed it.

I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't get to play this game early on - it's getting loads of coverage (rightly so!), but because of this the twists are becoming more public. It was great being able to play through it without any idea of what was coming up.

3 teens saved in my first playthrough. Nearly 4, but...not quite.

sappyday

What an asshole.

'
Josh gave a very loose explanation on picking on Chris. That it was to push Chris and Ashley together.

So, just beat the game,

I could see Hayden coming back. She continuously comes back for Kingdom Hearts. There was like one game she missed but she's always been there to voice Kairi.

LifEndz

What an asshole.

I didn't even notice
that Chris was passed out drunk across from Josh my first time through, but I watched several people stream this game since and Chris definitely got the worst of it...and he didn't even do anything. Unless his role was to get Josh wasted so he couldn't interfere, but that doesn't seem very plausible.

Exactly. He was crazy and unpredictable and could have ended up killing some of his friends. But that's what made his character so interesting and multi layered, never really knew what he had on his mind. He really seemed to be haunted by his sisters "deaths".

I didn't even notice
that Chris was passed out drunk across from Josh my first time through, but I watched several people stream this game since and Chris definitely got the worst of it...and he didn't even do anything. Unless his role was to get Josh wasted so he couldn't interfere, but that doesn't seem very plausible.

Also just got confirmation on my second playthrough that Chris was passed out in the beginning, I did start to think it on my first run already. It was really harsh the way Josh treated Chris considering he had nothing to do with the prank and they were pretty good friends supposedly.

Kinsei

Banned
Also just got confirmation on my second playthrough that Chris was passed out in the beginning, I did start to think it on my first run already. It was really harsh the way Josh treated Chris considering he had nothing to do with the prank and they were pretty good friends supposedly.

He was so harsh on Chris because they were good friends. In his own fucked up way Josh was trying to get Chris together with Ashley.

Exactly. He was crazy and unpredictable and could have ended up killing some of his friends. But that's what made his character so interesting and multi layered, never really knew what he had on his mind. He really seemed to be haunted by his sisters "deaths".

it was supposed to be
Josh in his own off-his-meds sick way to push both of them together

if you recall their entire conversations up until that point were about
getting chris with ashley

He even tells Sam
that all they need is a really traumatic experience to get them together since neither wants to do it

Why else would he
force him to choose between Ash and someone else twice

And if you aren't completely aggressive
towards josh when you're with mike interrogating him he outright mocks Chris for being such a giant pansy and never telling her how he feels. This is after Chris and Mike have been insulting and telling him to shut up so it came from a side of desperation

So I wouldn't outright call Josh
a dick in his reasoning as to why he picked on the two of them the most

In fact if one sits down to think about it
Josh only fucked with Chris, Ashley, and Sam because they were the only ones there. Mike and Jess were in the guest cabin, Matt and Em were looking for her bag and eventually going towards the tower.
. The only thing
he really did was close the door for Matt. I don't know why

Endo Punk

I feel its games like these, the hidden gems or sleeper hits if you will that really make a games library stand out. You go in with not much expectations and get blown away by a unique experience.

you know now that I think about it why the fuck did
Josh allow everybody to leave the cabin. Besides Ashley, Sam and Chris were two of the least responsible people in that group. Sam was against it but wasn't going to stop them, Chris was drunk passed out with Josh. Literally everybody else had a bigger hand in embarassing Hannah and leading her to her death that day. Especially Mike. Yet he let them leave to the guest cabin.

I'm sure his original plan was
to make them all feel guilty AND get Chris together with Ashley
but it ended up just being very dickish.

Just started playing this with my wife and we both love it as we are horror movie fans.

Is it just me or the girl in the beginning the same actress as the super annoying girl, who I let die, in the Telltale Walking Dead game?

ztggiguljdav8kciiqz0.jpg

Maximo

Don't have a PS4 and was debating if I wanted to watch it online or wait till I have a PS4 to play it. Ended up watching Jesse Cox and the Scary Game Squad maaaaaan what a fucking great game, defiantly doing to buy the game for cheap on PS4 when I eventually get it so good.

it was supposed to be
Josh in his own off-his-meds sick way to push both of them together

if you recall their entire conversations up until that point were about
getting chris with ashley

He even tells Sam
that all they need is a really traumatic experience to get them together since neither wants to do it

Why else would he
force him to choose between Ash and someone else twice

And if you aren't completely aggressive
towards josh when you're with mike interrogating him he outright mocks Chris for being such a giant pansy and never telling her how he feels. This is after Chris and Mike have been insulting and telling him to shut up so it came from a side of desperation

So I wouldn't outright call Josh
a dick in his reasoning as to why he picked on the two of them the most

In fact if one sits down to think about it
Josh only fucked with Chris, Ashley, and Sam because they were the only ones there. Mike and Jess were in the guest cabin, Matt and Em were looking for her bag and eventually going towards the tower.
. The only thing
he really did was close the door for Matt. I don't know why

He was so harsh on Chris because they were good friends. In his own fucked up way Josh was trying to get Chris together with Ashley.

Yes of course, I did realize this on my first playthrough and actually mentioned it to my wife as well. I guess it just seemed a bit extreme way to get two people together, but I'm sure Josh knew in his disturbed mind what he was doing. But thank you anyway for the detailed answers. :)

you know now that I think about it why the fuck did
Josh allow everybody to leave the cabin. Besides Ashley, Sam and Chris were two of the least responsible people in that group. Sam was against it but wasn't going to stop them, Chris was drunk passed out with Josh. Literally everybody else had a bigger hand in embarassing Hannah and leading her to her death that day. Especially Mike. Yet he let them leave to the guest cabin.

I'm sure his original plan was
to make them all feel guilty AND get Chris together with Ashley
but it ended up just being very dickish.

That's what I was thinking as well. He seems to be almost punishing the most those least responsible, but it's not like his actions were always logical. He seems to be having a crush on Sam, but still kinda puts her through a hell. Plus his plan to get Chris and Ashley together doesn't' work very well if Chris decides to "shoot" Ashley. I assume his original plan was just to scare the hell out of them and guilt trip them, but he could've ended up hurting them badly.

Just started playing this with my wife and we both love it as we are horror movie fans.

Is it just me or the girl in the beginning the same actress as the super annoying girl, who I let die, in the Telltale Walking Dead game?

I actually made that connection aswell, but I checked after finishing the game and it's not the same actress. Happy to hear you're loving the game.

spekkeh

Banned
Boo Sam died right at the very last scene.

I don't think I moved though? Didn't have problems with any of the other keep still moments. Oh well. Doesn't matter if it's the last scene I guess. You don't really miss anything.

Pilgrimzero

The plan:

I suppose Josh wanted to get Ash and Chris together and at the same time scare everyone else.

So if the Wendigo and their keeper weren't involved then the night goes as such:

Ash and Chris and Sam are captured. Em and Matt know a killer is around. They alert Mike and Jess. They all find the blood and pigs head and scarecrow stuff etc.

Maybe like Ash, Chris, and Sam he captures them one by one making it look like they were murdered.

Finally the big reveal and "I did this for my sisters!"

But due to the Wendigos nothing goes as planned and he has to improvise a lot and even conclude it faster.

FUCK

Gave the flare gun to Matt not realising he'd use it straight away, so he had no defense against his killer

If Emily is actually dead, that's Matt, Emily and Chris dead in the space of like 30 minutes
:(

FUCK

Gave the flare gun to Matt not realising he'd use it straight away, so he had no defense against his killer

If Emily is actually dead, that's Matt, Emily and Chris dead in the space of like 30 minutes
:(

yep. Bullshit reasoning as to why a character dies as it's literally out of your control except if you
have a bad relationship with her before that or don't attempt to save her more than once

Top Bottom