• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

This is the best thing.

Didn't feel the best,
she was just growing on me as well
:D

Would like to see a flow chart of the choices and failed QTEs after I finish it, especially to see if the game is just as long no matter what happens, and to see if there are entire environments that don't show up sometimes.

Also to see how, or indeed if, I could have saved the characters who have died in my game.

AHA-Lambda

God damn it that choice in chapter 9 is well cheap! >_<

you see Jessica is alive and you hear her, let's go get her! Nope you're dead

None of the other choices have bothered me but that felt dragon's lair cheap, cos I wouldn't have made that choice if it weren't for the scene before >_<

Cudder

None of the other choices have bothered me but that felt dragon's lair cheap, cos I wouldn't have made that choice if it weren't for the scene before >_<

You were meant to recall the scene where the
Wendigo's can imitate people. I remembered that scene right after I opened the door.

You can hear that there is something different with her voice and the
flamethrower guy´s diary mentions that the Wendigo can mimic people.

I'm not sure if everyone who pre-ordered Until Dawn got the voucher code, or just those who had the 128d error.
Either way Sony sent out a $10 voucher code to say thank you for being patient for the fix and for supporting the game

Toli08

I'm not sure if everyone who pre-ordered Until Dawn got the voucher code, or just those who had the 128d error.
Either way Sony sent out a $10 voucher code to say thank you for being patient for the fix and for supporting the game

Yeah which is pretty cool especially up here in Canada pre ordered it when it was 59.99$ knowing come loser to release day it would jump up with Canada tax. At the end ended up getting the game for 49.99$ cdn which is sweet.

Especially because this game is a blast finished my playthrough and had 4 survivors gonna playthrough it again at a later date.

Leeness

Nothing for me yet, my 128d error friend. :( I hope I get one! That would be nice!

BTA

Ending up talking about the game with a few people I know earlier today, who are also playing in a group and also near where we were in chapter 5. I'm hoping to talk to them more once our groups have both beaten it, since we didn't want to spoil each other, but I love that both of our groups seemed to be completely mystified by what
"nature remains in balance"
means.

Sorry to dump this all here, since I meant to just post shorter impressions, but I gotta process this because our playthrough took a turn for the worse tonight. Our group got to the start of chapter 7, starting from chapter 5. Just... fuck. Before we started one of my friends mentioned reading a review that said
the game gets kinda sillier/ridiculous in the back half
, which I'm personally totally down for, but I don't think we're there quite yet.
Mike went through the sanatorium; we tried to follow the totems we had but fucked up and kicked the wolf because in panic people thought the target might be petting it and shouted so I went for it. At least when we saw and were wary of the hand thing I was smart and kept rapidly starting a certain totem's scene, realized it definitely showed the hand going down at the start of that, and avoided it. Also avoided angering the elk as Matt and Emily, though that one was obvious. They ended up at the fire tower and politely contacted the rangers; unfortunately their relationship was pretty terrible so despite our best efforts to save her once it fell we're fairly certain we didn't succeed in saving Emily. Matt did have the flare gun so he defended against whatever the hell attacked him after though. Sam got caught because apparently despite me knowing this part was coming from press conferences and remembering the areas she went through, we kept running. I guess that kinda sorta worked out ok though in that right where we left off was Mike meeting up with her and helping her cut the rope off of her? We did our best to keep Ashley and Chris alive, but then Chris got to choose to shoot himself or her. In an effort to replicate the totem scene where Chris puts the gun down, we opted not to shoot either of them even if it meant them both dying by mistake and... I don't think we did it right. I haven't looked at the trophy that popped right then but I wouldn't be surprised if it was for killing over half of the cast, fuck. Also kinda annoyed that I didn't walk into that projection room right before the choice to continue with Chris (the others wanted me to see where he wandered off to) or even not follow him through the door but we wanted them to stick together; we also fell into a danger totem's scene by using the scissors as Ashley and that miiiight not have helped the gun scene? Just... this is still great but we're not in a good situation, damn. We have some thoughts on what's happening but a lot of it's possibly thinking about it too much; feels like the multiple killers are probably both "players" in the game Hill mentions (or at least that they're not working together, given who's not marked off in the pictures in the basement) but who knows what that means with regards to cannibal miners and possible ghosts and such.
At this point the only people we know are alive are
Sam, Mike, and Matt; Emily's a maybe and Ashley and Chris aren't confirmed yet either but are pretty damn likely to be dead. Matt and Sam are kinda our favorites (and Mike's pretty entertaining), so at least there's that, but having Ashley and/or Chris alive too would have been really nice. Really hoping all of these last 3 can survive at least.

Hopefully we can finish it tomorrow night cause I wanna see this through so so bad.

Blablurn

For some reason I didn't feel the game as much as others. Maybe I expected too much? Finished it. But... didn't feel anything. Still good to see that a Sony exclusive is gaining some momentum and popularity. Even with almost no marketing. Perfect game for that YouTube generation.

Damn! I am bad at this game!

I'm at chapter 6 now and half my cast is dead D:

Edit: now 3!! What am I doing wrong? D:

I don't think you can really be bad at Until Dawn, it's not such game it's more of an experience which can play out in many different ways. Sure you can be more cautious, but I didn't take that approach on my first playthrough thus having only three survive. I played way that seemed the most right and exciting. I'm planning to save all now on my second run though.

You were meant to recall the scene where the
Wendigo's can imitate people. I remembered that scene right after I opened the door.

I fucked up there. I remembered but for some reason I thought
the Wendigo could imitate its victims i.e they're dead. I knew that Jessica was alive so I figured it was her.

timmyp53

Love the game like crazyyyyy only person who didn't survive for me was Matt.
im trying to figure out why the guidance totem lied and told me to give him the flare gun. Or maybe I'm dumb? He shot it immediately. The butterfly effect said he wasn't able to defend himself. Saddd

Picked this up yesterday to give me a break from MGSV, had no expectations really as Ive not followed the game until the positive reviews came out and the word of mouth seems to be so strong. I've had an absolute blast with it on my first play through.

Going to start a new game with my other half this weekend, seems like something that she would be able to play and enjoy as she isn't the most accomplished gamer.

I'm hoping that I'm right in my assumption that the second half of the game can go in a completely different direction depending on what you do in one particular scene. Going to try and nudge the second time through in that direction

I just got two trophies for
cutting Mike's fingers to free himself
and
attacking the psycho with a weapon with Sam
, but it was a while after it happened. Am I supposed to be getting these as they happen or is there some sore of checkpoint I have to reach before I get trophies for a section?

Dinjooh

Edit: Thanks Pelit! OCDGaf we are back at 80! : )
g3T0cna.jpg

1nc29oJ.jpg

Updated the OT for ocd gaf out there.

Gqplfty.png

Balphon

I just got two trophies for
cutting Mike's fingers to free himself
and
attacking the psycho with a weapon with Sam
, but it was a while after it happened. Am I supposed to be getting these as they happen or is there some sore of checkpoint I have to reach before I get trophies for a section?

Most of the trophies will unlock at the end of the episode rather than right after you do the action required to unlock them.

BTA

We just resumed chapter 7.

I think we went from thinking 3/8 were alive to knowing 7/8. Wow.

EDIT:

Finished. Fuck.

Messed up the last grinder QTE twice so Emily died. Missed something as Sam so Josh's head got squished. Rested the controller on my leg during the last sequence so Sam died right at the last sequence. Matt not really, like, being part of anything in the last few chapters feels really weird but it's clear that he would have met up with Jess so I wonder if we lacked scenes as a result? Weird.

I think it would be neat if the game took a mechanical shift to match the genre one too, hmm.

Played this from start to finish last night with my friends as a huge group. I invited them all over and everyone was shouting decisions at the screen, it was awesome. We literally ended up playing until dawn to finish it.

From start to finish, the first run through we had 2 survivors:
Matt died because as a group we decided he was going to be a doormat to Emily and so he always agreed with her and tried to save her. We kept saying #goodguyMatt and then he got hooked to the face. Then towards the end Jess died because in the heat of the moment we forgot running was bad and hiding good so the wendigo got her. Finally my friends decided to just make a run for it in the lodge and ended up blowing everyone up but Chris and Sam. Oops. We ended up replaying the last chapter for shits and giggles just to correct our last mistakes and saved everyone but Matt.. I'm a little sad Jess is played as so little - she was probably my favorite character after Mike.

The one decision I'm particularly proud of is
I was the only one to remember that the wendigos could imitate people so I saved Ashley at that point since my friends were on the verge of going after the voice.
I was satisfied when I read up on what happens if you make the wrong decision there, heh.

All in all the game was awesome. Definitely worth the money and I really hope there's a sequel with even more branching paths.

Dreathlock

My PS4 was collecting dust for the last few months and i was only gaming on my pc.
Today i gave it one more try and bought until dawn on the psn store.

What a mistake.

This game is a technical disaster. It feels like i get constantly about 15fps. I hope the story will get better but this is the last game i bought for the ps4. Maybe i am spoiled by 144hz gsync but this is just unacceptable and totally awful.

Krisprolls

Banned
My PS4 was collecting dust for the last few months and i was only gaming on my pc.

What a mistake.

This game is a technical disaster. It feels like i get constantly about 15fps. I hope the story will get better but this is the last game i bought for the ps4. Maybe i am spoiled by 144hz gsync but this is just unacceptable and totally awful.

Joke post ? The game runs fine, art and good games are not about being 60 fps or 30 fps anyway. Until Dawn >>>>> any 120 fps indie crap on my dust collector shitty PC.

Really the amount of stupidity on this website reaches new highs every day.

ZhugeEX

Banned

What a mistake.

What?

This game runs fine!

eFKac

What a mistake.

Just sell it already and spare us the master race stories.

Krisprolls

Banned
What?

This game runs fine!

Yeah, must be trolling again. This PC warrior fanboy crap is so boring.

My gaming PC is the one collecting dust, I care about games and creativity, and there's nothing on PC like Until Dawn on PS4, so go make a thread about your 144 Hz Gsync monitor elsewhere. I'm sure some people will care somewhere.

Krisprolls

Banned
All in all the game was awesome. Definitely worth the money and I really hope there's a sequel with even more branching paths.

Everybody loved the game and it's selling well. I'm pretty sure we will get at least another one. I hope the writers will be the same, Graham Reznick and Larry Fessenden did a great job on that one.

This kind of games live and die with their writing and their pacing after all. That's what Cage should have understood long ago. He just needed great writers (I liked Heavy Rain anyway, Beyond... not so much).

Majmun

I hope RE2 remake will look like this game. Some of the sections and camera placements remind me so much of Resident Evil. The game is gorgeous.

spekkeh

Banned
I had some stuttering in the beginning, but it was pretty confined. Over multiple hours it's hardly something worth mentioning. Definitely not 15fps for any sustained amount of time.

This game is fucking terrifying. I started it tonight with my friends and we got to Chapter 5. The (chapter 4 spoilers)
seance scene and the Saw trap
... Fuck that lmao

I wasn't super fond of the latter but the former was genuinely terrifying.

What a mistake.

I don't think it ever goes that low. It seems to run on an unlocked framerate which often hovers around 30 but can be a little above or below at times, leading it to look as if it's running poorly when it isn't that bad. Also, it sometimes runs close to 60 in small spaces or when looking at walls, kind of adding to the impression of it being low framerate when it goes back to less than that.

I hope RE2 remake will look like this game. Some of the sections and camera placements remind me so much of Resident Evil. The game is gorgeous.

Yep, this game is a good reminder of why preset camera angles work so well in horror games. It's kinda like the original Silent Hill with how it plays with the camera since the backgrounds are real-time, which allows them to move the camera around much easier than you can do with pre-rendered backgrounds.

Seriously? I swear mine is stuttering like hell. Im about 3 hours in. Thats not some "pc master race joke post". I am absolutely serious. It looks like a slide show.

That's really weird. Did you finish installing the game before playing? I just played again for couple of hours my second playthrough and I don't think fps went single time under 30fps. Now that I think again maybe there were couple of occasions in the beginning with some minor framerate issues for a short period of time, but really nothing worth mentioning. Overall I'd say the performance was good.

CREMSteve

What a mistake.

The game runs absolutely fine. Issue is on your end.

I went into best buy today and picked it up. It was the only copy I saw and I got them to price match the print error in their in store ad. Can't wait to play this later.

LUXURY

What a mistake.

Lmaoooooo. No it doesn't. Goodbye.

Roussow

Something wrong on your end then.

There are frame rate issues, it's apparent across the board -- it doesn't affect gameplay that much though so it didn't bother me, plus the game looks amazing, I don't mind a slight trade off for the level of fidelity the game offers.

Seriously? I swear mine is stuttering like hell. Im about 3 hours in. Thats not some "pc master race joke post". I am absolutely serious. It looks like a slide show.

I've been watching a few videos of the game (I don't have a ps4), but in them there are times where the frame rate bogs down a bit. I can't say anything looked unplayable though. Maybe try reinstalling?

BTA

For what it's worth, my friends and I did notice some slight technical issues, but that was mostly some awkward pop-in happening every so often and then a couple jumps between characters' poses. There was also 2 times near the end where scenes transitioned between each other weird and it showed one shot too long or too early before things continued.

But as far as framerate goes, I can think of only one particular instance where it suddenly got bad, and that lasted for like 10 seconds, so I'm not sure what could be up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally opened this. Played through chapter 6. Wow, what a surprise. This is so well done. My only complaint is that the writing is very natural and performances are great EXCEPT for the CONSTANT allusions to sex in the early game. Geeze.

Top Bottom