• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Jess died on my first play through, going back one more time to save her. Great game. really happy with this new trend of gaming that requires no dexterity from the user but still has you engaged in the gameplay. Anyone really can pick up and play.

What a ride! 9/10

Agreed. Love these type of games because the girlfriend can actually play it to.

BTA

Played till the start of chapter 5 with the same 2 friends; another 2 friends who live with one of the original 2 (we're playing at his place) got enthralled and started watching as well. I was still the only one who actually played, with the others giving input on choices. We generally try to remain "in character" or at least justify as much when deciding things; some choices get much more discussion than others (and timed things just get shouted). It's a really nice experience in that regard overall!

Unfortunately, we lost 2 people. First,
Jess died when I messed up my first QTE ever, which I think was the last in that sequence even, and Mike fell on the way to her. Friend stopped me in the non-timed area after that, and we discussed who we would save if there was a choice. We agreed it would likely be a save her or run situation, and agreed to save her. Then her body fell down as soon as I walked forward and there was an immediate flash to the failed QTE. WHOOPS. Relatedly, I took the first shot and so ran out of ammo. A scene or so later I realized that I was talking about this game with someone a few days ago and they said they hadn't started yet either, but passed on a tip someone had cryptically told them without context: "you only get one shot". Had to pause and go "...fuuuuuck" as soon as that hit me.
Then we
chose to save Ashley over Josh as Chris. Really wondering how much of that scene was affected by earlier Hill stuff.
We're not sure if we're doing more than one playthrough or what, though once we're done this I might individually try to go back and get/see more stuff alone if I'm brave enough.

We love this game but it's about to get reaaaal painful, isn't it? And we can't wait. We would have spent several more hours on it tonight, but I have to wake up early tomorrow unfortunately. Hopefully tomorrow night it'll continue, because this has us hooked.

LUXURY

Man, I did not expect to have this many people dead.
So far I guess Jessica, Emily, and Matt are dead. Jessica fell down the shaft after and that's the last I saw her. Mike says she's dead so I'm guessing its true. Matt got a hook through the jaw, which I'm guessing is because I kept the flare gun as Emily and I noticed him fumbling in his coat pockets for something. Emily's part was actually really neat. I was totally immersed. I really was fixed on saving her after the idea of losing two. I ran to the lift after that creature found me in the crevice and I guess I didn't pull the lever in time because he fucking gouged my eyes out. I shut it off after that. I was mad. Haha. I really feel invested in these characters and they just die. :(

PrinceKee

Anyone having issues with this game crashing and ejecting the disc? It happens on the same part. Also now after the splash screen it causes my system to lose sound in the game and dashboard. I've already deleted the game and reinstalled twice and rebuilt the PS4 database. Now when I try to resume my game it just says "recovering partially installed data. This may take up to twenty minutes." But, it's stays stuck on 7% after twenty minutes and I'll leave it on and my PS4 just shuts off from inactivity. Anyone have any other suggestions before I send this back to GameFly?

Gumbie

Having a good time with the game so far but god damn is it stressful. I notice I'm super tense the entire time I'm playing always waiting for the next jump scare or hard decision.

LUXURY

Having a good time with the game so far but god damn is it stressful. I notice I'm super tense the entire time I'm playing always waiting for the next jump scare or hard decision.

To me, that means the game is doing its job. I can't remember (not even Life is Strange) the last game where I legit thought out all my choices. Some truly depend on how a character can die in the next few minutes, or hours. It is stressful. But I fucking love it. Sooo intense.

Gumbie

To me, that means the game is doing its job. I can't remember (not even Life is Strange) the last game where I legit thought out all my choices. Some truly depend on how a character can die in the next few minutes, or hours. It is stressful. But I fucking love it. Sooo intense.

I agree with you 100%. The way the developers use lighting, camera angles, and the way the music changes keeps me on constant edge. I also promised myself I wouldn't go back and change any decisions no matter what happens so that adds some extra gravity to the choices.

Is it just me or is the sound really weird on 5.1 systems? All the vocals sound really canned, and not directional. They all seem to be coming out of the small centre speaker.

Rembrandt

Banned
ugh, not having a ps4 is really hurting right now. this was one of my most anticipated games, the reviews are great, these impressions are great, the lets plays I've been watching are great and i just want to play it ASAP. Looking forward to giving this a play soon.

ugh, not having a ps4 is really hurting right now. this was one of my most anticipated games, the reviews are great, these impressions are great, the lets plays I've been watching are great and i just want to play it ASAP. Looking forward to giving this a play soon.
good time to pick up a ps4 but even better year is 2016, only problem might have too many games to play.

It's interesting...despite all the complaints about the PS4's console exclusive 2015 lineup, we have some great games:
Bloodborne, Helldivers, Rocket League, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded, etc.

I just got the game yesterday and must say Im thoroughly impressed and really enjoying it so far. I had a crazy 6 hour game session yesterday and probably would have gone further if I didn't have to g to bed because of work and classes (boo!). So far so good (Chapter 7), no deaths. Oh, and I HATE Emily.

I just got the game yesterday and must say Im thoroughly impressed and really enjoying it so far. I had a crazy 6 hour game session yesterday and probably would have gone further if I didn't have to g to bed because of work and classes (boo!). So far so good (Chapter 7), no deaths. Oh, and I HATE Emily.

yeah I do too she is so mean to Matt?

So happy to see all these great impressions. I'm planning to finish my second playthrough this weekend and the game feels just as great on my second run. I did warm up to Emily a bit closer to end, but she was still my least favorite character overall.

Emily survived my play through! Haha suck it Ashley. Only managed to lose Matt because
although Emily gave him the flare gun he immediately fired it into the sky without keeping it for some reason
so it's basically his own fault.

I am waiting for the Sony PR any of these day that announce the game selling 1 mill units.

I dont think they shipped that much unless digital sales are great, so its not possible to reach 1 million that soon. May be it will do 1.5 - 2 million by the end of this year if it has same momentum (may be halloween will help).

GKFinns

I've avoided this thread and all others like the plague until I beat the game. Now I can venture in and post my experience!

Just finished my first play through. What a rush! I don't know how. I don't know why. But I somehow beat it with every single collectible and totem and finished with ALL survivors! I'm so ecstatic right now. Man. Those final Don't Move commands were brutally long.

What an amazing game. Time to start it up again to try and murder everyone!

Finished. Could have had everyone survive but I blame myself for playing the back end at 4am.

I looked it up and the way you keep Matt from dying is really fucking stupid. The rest I can attribute to bad judgement and being half asleep. Failed 2 Don't Move sections in the last chapter after not failing one before that haha.

Pretty cool game. Having to go pixel hunting every time I get control and then accidentally triggering the next cutscene because 90% of the time you have no idea which path is the one that progresses the story was pretty freaking tedious. It's nice that the game isn't a series of cinematics and you have stuff to do but I feel like there could have been a more seamless way to go about it.

jmaine_ph

Edit: Thanks Pelit! OCDGaf we are back at 80! : )
g3T0cna.jpg

1nc29oJ.jpg

AdaWong

Finished. Could have had everyone survive but I blame myself for playing the back end at 4am.

I looked it up and the way you keep Matt from dying is really fucking stupid. The rest I can attribute to bad judgement and being half asleep. Failed 2 Don't Move sections in the last chapter after not failing one before that haha.

Pretty cool game. Having to go pixel hunting every time I get control and then accidentally triggering the next cutscene because 90% of the time you have no idea which path is the one that progresses the story was pretty freaking tedious. It's nice that the game isn't a series of cinematics and you have stuff to do but I feel like there could have been a more seamless way to go about it.

Its not stupid, though. There are two ways you could save Matt.

Give him the flare gun and DON'T agree with Emily's plan OR simply jump to safety. Jumping to safety is such an easy way of keeping him alive that they give the option to you TWICE. Its like theyre telling you "jump to safety, yo"

EDIT: Sorry for double posting!

Its not stupid, though. There are two ways you could save Matt.

Give him the flare gun and DON'T agree with Emily's plan OR simply jump to safety. Jumping to safety is such an easy way of keeping him alive that they give the option to you TWICE. Its like theyre telling you "jump to safety, yo"

EDIT: Sorry for double posting!

I'm more frustrated that he
used the flare gun for no freaking reason when it's the tool that saves him. Just have it not be there if he agrees with Emily. It's a completely, "tough shit." death that makes no sense in the moment or even in retrospect. I'm not necessarily saying that there aren't avenues that can save him. The one that gets him killed makes no sense.

Replicant

used the flare gun for no freaking reason when it's the tool that saves him. Just have it not be there if he agrees with Emily. It's a completely, "tough shit." death that makes no sense in the moment or even in retrospect. I'm not necessarily saying that there aren't avenues that can save him. The one that gets him killed makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense to me. If you're such a doormat to the point that
you'll endanger your own life for someone who has so little regard of you (trying to save Em instead of jumping off),then maybe you deserve to die for not valuing your own life.

I finished Until Dawn last night. This game is a classic, what an experience. After this TellTale needs to step up because their mechanics and production values simply cant complete imo. I think Until Dawn is the Modern Warfare of interactive games, they will all be judged against it in one way or another going forward.

Sam died because I effed up in the last "don't move" sequence, so freaking close. Chris died because I thought listening to Ash was a good idea. I mean, she told me to shoot her so WTF? She let me die.... beeotch. Josh lives but I wish he died, he didn't deserve that fate :( One of the most memorable moments in the game has to be Emilys escape from the mines, good lord that was intense!

I gave Matt the flare gun and he fired it immediately and yet he still lived. I didn't I use him again till he helped Jess escape. I didn't have his mine sequence at all. Weird. Im glad he lived but Im pissed I didn't get a chance to confront Emily, what a terrible girlfriend

I just realized you can view the cause / effect happenings via the butterfly effect panel. It shows because x was done y happened or whatever. Fun to look through. Also love the bonus materials.

My wife loves this game to death. Restarted 3 times already and new shit keeps happening

It makes perfect sense to me. If you're such a doormat to the point that
you'll endanger your own life for someone who has so little regard of you (trying to save Em instead of jumping off),then maybe you deserve to die for not valuing your own life.

How and why the flare gets used is arbitrary as fuck

Replicant

How and why the flare gets used is arbitrary as fuck

If you agree to go to
the tower then it's understandable you'd want to signal others of your location. Thus the firing of the gun by Matt. If Matt didn't agree that going to tower was such a great idea then he'd probably view the flare gun to be an emergency item to be used later.

I just realized you can view the cause / effect happenings via the butterfly effect panel. It shows because x was done y happened or whatever. Fun to look through. Also love the bonus materials.

Love those as well and I usually spend a lot of time going through the butterfly effect and the clues panels

My wife loves this game to death. Restarted 3 times already and new shit keeps happening

Same with my wife, she played it through once and started her second playthrough. She still gets scared from the game and asks me to lower done the volume almost every time.

If you agree to go to
the tower then it's understandable you'd want to signal others of your location. Thus the firing of the gun by Matt. If Matt didn't agree that going to tower was such a great idea then he'd probably view the flare gun to be an emergency item to be used later.

I just don't think I'll be satisfied by that explanation. The flare gun would be as important in that moment as it it'd be at any other point afterward. Mortally important it turns out. Going to the tower ends up being everyone's salvation come the morning. It was a good idea, not just giving into Emily. As for Matt getting killed afterward, I can fully accept it being punishment for not considering his safety trying to save Emily. The problem I had with it was the butterfly effect of using the flare telling you Matt should have kept it. Of course he should have kept it. Why the fuck wouldn't he keep it? No player given the choice would have used it. Having an item as opposed to not having one is never punished.

That point was poorly executed.

Can anyone tell me roughly how far I am, percentage-wise

Chris just had to make a choice between Ashley and Josh, Mike has just reached the Sanitorium

Normally I'd just go with the flow for a game like this, but I'm playing it with my brother and we only get to play it twice a week, so would like to know how many 2-hour sessions to set aside.

Loving it btw

Jessica died because I slipped on a pipe it seems, and I couldn't shoot the killer in the back because I'd already wasted the bullet shooting at his head. Guessing the latter makes no difference though

Top Bottom