• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Up:] neoGAF GOTY 2017 |OT| Voting closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted for the following:

1. Nioh
2. Zelda: BotW
3. NieR: Automata
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Metroid: Samus Returns

I haven't finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Persona 5 (and I don't know if I'll ever finish the latter, sadly). I own Horizon: Zero Dawn and RE7 but haven't started them yet. I'm looking to own Hellblade somewhere down the line but it probably won't be this year.

PooBone

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. RiME
3. NieR: Automata
4. >Observer_
5. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
6. What Remains of Edith Finch
7. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Ruiner
10. Cuphead

BJK

Didn't get to play nearly as many of this year's games as I'd like (stupid job / responsibility / Overwatch) ...but my vote's in!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

What more is there to say? A magical game that proved Nintendo can listen to fan feedback and not be scared to try something a little different. For their first attempt at a truly open-world game, it knocked it out of the park. Interesting to see what they do next with the series.

2. Super Mario Odyssey

Just a joy to play from start to finish (and beyond). Again, fan feedback seemingly played a part in this game with Nintendo taking the series back to it’s Mario 64/Sunshine roots. A great example of the universal fun of a Mario game is when I took my Switch with me interstate and my 14 year old nephew, who is solely a PS4/Xbone gamer, would not put it down. Now he is begging his parents for a Switch for Christmas.

3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

This game surprised the hell out of me. I was not at all interested in it initially, but decided to take a punt after positive reports from hands on previews. Wow. Glad I did. Really fun and challenging game with that “just one more battle” thing going for it. Extremely polished game apart from some minor framerate hiccups. To sum it up in one word: charm.

Bit of a Nintendo flavour to my votes this year as the last 8 months have been dominated by Switch with one great game release following another, the timing of which didn’t allow me to check out much else. My poor PC has barely been touched in that time, not helped by not many big new IPs or releases in series I like in that period. Don’t own a PS4 or Xbone, so can’t assess their contenders.

Great year in gaming overall in my opinion.

Tevious

Voted my top 3. Probably half the games I got around to playing this year were from last year, like The Last Guardian, ABZU, and even No Man's Sky.

TwiztidElf

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Splatoon 2
5. Super Mario Odyssey

Sonic Mania
Cuphead
Fire Emblem Warriors
Yakuza 0
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Culdcept Revolt

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Okay GAF this is my first time voting ever, and I could not find it in the rules. Do I have to fill 11 games in there or can I just go with the amount I want, etc only have three games on my list and just send it?

cormack12

Gold Member
Okay GAF this is my first time voting ever, and I could not find it in the rules. Do I have to fill 11 games in there or can I just go with the amount I want, etc only have three games on my list and just send it?

Just vote on the form. 3 games are mandatory after that just select X - no vote or next from the list. Happy voting.

Ultimadrago

Voted.

By the way, the third (and final proper) episode of Life is Strange: Before the Storm has been released for a little bit now. Just as an update for the list.

Pejo

Gold Member
Interesting layout, can't wait to see results. It took me a while to find Skyrim VR, which was tied with Nioh as my personal GotY. With so few people voting this year, we have a real shot at some upsets, though BotW will still probably get #1.

GLAMr

Voted. Will be interesting to see who comes second to BotW.

My top 3:
1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Divinity: Original Sin 2
3. Breath of the wild.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details. However, I have received Doom, Cuphead, Mario + Rabbids and Xcom 2: War of the Chosen over the holiday period but I haven't had time to play then yet. I'm sure a few of them would have ranked, but I just don't have the time!

Curl

Neo Member
Top 3 that really stuck with me ended up being Yakuza 0, Persona, and Hollow Knight.

Have a feeling Automata would be on this list but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Just finished the original Nier and I couldn't put it down! cleared all endings in just a few days. I thought the combat was surprisingly good, but way too easy after getting good weapons. Overall though, it might be among my favorite games ever because of the world, characters, and story. And I'd actually been listening to the soundtrack for years before playing it so it was pretty special to hear each song in the context of the game.

Now I gotta dive in to Grimoire: Nier for more of the mythos. Can't wait to get to Automata somewhere down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom