• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: Gamestop giving $50 extra trade credit for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U

muzzymate

If I trade in my 500 GB Xbox One @ GameStop I'll get $125 in-store credit which is ok.

So now I'm wondering how much money can you get if I sell my 500 GB Xbox One on ebay after fees from paypal + ebay + shipping??

Would I get at least $150 paypal credit???

I've been watching a bit and I feel like it's anywhere from 130 - 150 sale prices (before fees)

MrMephistoX

They tried that crap when I brought in my Wii U (had a bit of dust but otherwise it was perfect)

I told them nevermind I'll just sell it on Ebay.

They quickly changed their tune.

I had two consoles in the store, they said the refurb fee would be like 50% of the value and and I promptly took said consoles and walked the fuck out...no tune changing seems like I have a bad store?

thebigword

Neo Member
I had two consoles in the store, they said the refurb fee would be like 50% of the value and and I promptly took said consoles and walked the fuck out...no tune changing seems like I have a bad store?

I take pretty good care of my systems, but I did take the swiffer and canned air to them like something fierce before I took them in. But, it's like they didn't even look at the condition of them, they just wanted to make sure they ran properly. I swear the guy behind the counter played a lego game on the Xbox One for 10 min. I couldn't tell if he was really testing my system or just enjoying himself.

MrMephistoX

I take pretty good care of my systems, but I did take the swiffer and canned air to them like something fierce before I took them in. But, it's like they didn't even look at the condition of them, they just wanted to make sure they ran properly. I swear the guy behind the counter played a lego game on the Xbox One for 10 min. I couldn't tell if he was really testing my system or just enjoying himself.

I do too they haven't moved in like 2 years, I don't smoke but goatee'd hipster mcdipshit thought they had to replace the whole glossy panel due to normal glossy hairline scratches.

thebigword

Neo Member
Also, the reason I did the Gamestop deal, instead of eBay was because of potentially getting scammed. Yeah, I could have possibly gotten more money out of it going with eBay, but the horror stories of people getting scammed, as well as getting scammed myself, made it easy to decide on Gamestop, even though I hadn't been to one in years (use Amazon and Bestbuy for games).

thebigword

Neo Member
I do too they haven't moved in like 2 years, I don't smoke but goatee'd hipster mcdipshit thought they had to replace the whole glossy panel due to normal glossy hairline scratches.

The store you went to must be really particular. I think my PS4 had a couple light scratches but I don't they even looked at that.

If I trade in my Wii U and PS4 will I get $50 per console or just once? And is there a 10% Pro bump for consoles too or is that just for games?

ty_hot

These prices are insane. 75 for a XOne? who would sell it for that price? Even with the 50+, its 125 only! I feel like you can get more selling directly to someone else easily. Checking eBay, most Xones are over 150 on auctions.

Lemstar

These prices are insane. 75 for a XOne? who would sell it for that price? Even with the 50+, its 125 only! I feel like you can get more selling directly to someone else easily. Checking eBay, most Xones are over 150 on auctions.
This is the top hit for used 500GB original model Xbox Ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311696492057. Call it $150 shipped to get the same stuff that you'd be trading in.

eBay fees on a $150 sale would be $19.65. Shipping an item of that size would be something like $20 (the $12.75 they charge is quite a bit below actual), so the net amount in hand after the sale would be closer to $110 cash.

MastAndo

I successfully swapped a PS4 for $175 towards a Pro. I walked in, let it be known what I wanted to do, and the kid behind the counter let out a big sigh and rolled his eyes. I told him I was sorry for being such a burden on him. Good start.

Then he noticed streaks on the glossy part of the PS4. I suppose that was my doing, as I tried to take a paper towel to it to make it look presentable. He buffed it out with his shirt sleeve, and I'm pretty sure his button scratched the whole thing up. Not my problem. I was sure he was going to put some refurb charges on the trade-in, but fortunately, that wasn't the case.

Lastly, he was unaware of the $50 trade-in promo, or at least he said he was. I showed him the ad, he rang up a $50 gift card, but didn't apply it to the final purchase cost for whatever reason. I asked him to do that, he explained why he might not be able to, I told him it shouldn't be a big deal, so he went ahead and did it. Other than that, it was a swell experience!

Now, I'm hoping I'll be able to play some games in about a week, after my downloads finish on this ridiculously slow ass network. Part of me had the irrational hope that the PS4 Pro would improve wired network download speeds, but no such luck - it's as slow as ever.

MrMephistoX

I successfully swapped a PS4 for $175 towards a Pro. I walked in, let it be known what I wanted to do, and the kid behind the counter let out a big sigh and rolled his eyes. I told him I was sorry for being such a burden on him. Good start.

Then he noticed streaks on the glossy part of the PS4. I suppose that was my doing, as I tried to take a paper towel to it to make it look presentable. He buffed it out with his shirt sleeve, and I'm pretty sure his button scratched the whole thing up. Not my problem. I was sure he was going to put some refurb charges on the trade-in, but fortunately, that wasn't the case.

Lastly, he was unaware of the $50 trade-in promo, or at least he said he was. I showed him the ad, he rang up a $50 gift card, but didn't apply it to the final purchase cost for whatever reason. I asked him to do that, he explained why he might not be able to, I told him it shouldn't be a big deal, so he went ahead and did it. Other than that, it was a swell experience!

Now, I'm hoping I'll be able to play some games in about a week, after my downloads finish on this ridiculously slow ass network. Part of me had the irrational hope that the PS4 Pro would improve wired network download speeds, but no such luck - it's as slow as ever.

I turtle waxed mine going to try again tomorrow.

Will the card be on the receipt? I'm gonna have to go to a different GameStop, and explain my situation.

If u go to a different GameStop they will refuse to do it for u and tell u to go back to the one u did the transaction at.
Just go back to the store with the receipt. Because it should show the 50 giftcard on it.
Tell them the cashier forgot to give u the gift card.

Talk to a manager. And do it by tomorrow. U dont want them to have an excuse if the promotion is over.

I'm shocked more of you didn't take advantage of the 50% Gamestop Trade in Bonus that applied to games and consoles in their Pre Black Friday Sale. I see a lot of you entertaining trading in your systems to upgrade to new ones. That deal was a bit better.

We had a thread about it on GAF, and there were a couple of us that locked in our trade values after midnight the day the sale started (Tuesday). We knew the values would drop, and they did. Even after they did drop, a PS4 would net you $187.50. My launch red 3ds got me $97.50, and my Vita Slim netted $112.50.

If you locked in the value of 150 (for PS4) before the values tanked early in the morning, you could get even more. I was able to get $225 for my PS4, in addition to the mentioned Vita Slim and launch 3ds, as well as, some good values on some old games. I would have thought that deal would have made more people jump, considering how many are trading in systems now with this deal.

HOWEVER, for those of you trading in Xbox One 500 GB skus, this current deal is better than the Pre Black Friday sale was. That sale only netted $112.50 for the 500 GB Xbox One, the same price I got for my Vita Slim in the Pre Black Friday Sale.

My Wii U was scratched to fucking hell and they didn't even mention a refurb fee

Makes me so happy the Switch is matte, though. No more glossy bullshit

If I trade in my Wii U and PS4 will I get $50 per console or just once? And is there a 10% Pro bump for consoles too or is that just for games?

Anyone?

I'm shocked more of you didn't take advantage of the 50% Gamestop Trade in Bonus that applied to games and software in their Pre Black Friday Sale. I see a lot of you entertaining trading in your systems to upgrade to new ones. That deal was a bit better..

If it only applied to "games and software" how would it be better than this?

qq
If I trade in my 500 GB Xbox One @ GameStop I'll get $125 in-store credit which is ok.

So now I'm wondering how much money can you get if I sell my 500 GB Xbox One on ebay after fees from paypal + ebay + shipping??

Would I get at least $150 paypal credit???

Very doubtful, they are currently averaging anywhere between 150-175 each, for the ones that have sold on Ebay in the last couple of days. If you managed to sell it for $175, you have a 10% selling fee, that gets it down to $157.50, plus any listing fees (Buy It Now, set a reserve price, how high the starting bid price is, whether you want better listing placement, etc, all cost extra). Then you have Paypal taking 2.9% of that plus an extra 0.30 cent fee. That gets you down to $152.60 minus the ebay listing fees mentioned above. So to get $150 after fees, you will have to sell it for at least around $173 on ebay to get the money you want, and use a very standard auction listing to avoid extra listing fees.

Anyone?

If it only applied to "games and software" how would it be better than this?

Lol, that was a typo, I meant games and consoles. I edited it. Did you just neglect to read the rest of my post? It was obvious it included software.

CodeNfX

Decided to trade my Wii U with some major scratches on it. The girl inspected the shit out of the console which made me uneasy. In the end, I still got the full value so I'm happy about that. She also didn't know about the $50 gift card which I had to mentioned. I still have a bunch of Wii U games sitting on the shelf in it's wrapper, stings a bit.

Vardhan

I've got you covered!

Your NNID exists on it's own, but it also gets tied to whatever hardware you're using it on. You can tie your NNID to one Wii-U console and one 3DS console at a time, so formatting your Wii-U will not affect your 3DS. If you ever buy a Wii-U again and want to play your purchased digital games, you would need Nintendo customer service to link your NNID to the new hardware.

If you live in the US, it's a bit like the license plate on your car. The plate is yours to keep, but the state registers it to your vehicle. If you sell your car you'll still have the plate, but if you buy a new car you'll need to register the plate to it. You can't just slap it on and call it a day.

As for Switch, we don't yet know how it will work, but all signs point to it using Nintendo Accounts rather than the NNID. This should mean that our login will not be "registered" to the console itself but rather exist on it's own. Even if Nintendo implemented the NNID system again, Switch would count as a new console that's unrelated to registering on Wii-U/3DS.

Thank you for your answers, Burdmayn!

I went ahead and reset my Wii U, sold it along with games, and got $297 in trade value along with the $50 gift card. These will go towards Nintendo Switch and its games.

Rokal

Traded in my launch PS4 with a terrible controller that wouldn't hold a reasonable charge today towards a PS4 Pro. I was able to back up PT to USB so I didn't really lose anything. I don't have a 4K tv yet, but the UI on Pro seems more responsive, the HD is bigger, and the controller won't have the same charge problems, and I'll enjoy a few downsampling games so it seemed worthwhile. Glad they had this deal, ~$200 to upgrade seems fair and I don't think I'll ever get better deal moving forward .

So what cables do I need to include? HDMI? MicroUSB?

Edit:
Also, any idea how to remove the scratches from the glossy cover?

Edit 2: trying to back up my PS4 is such a fucking PAIN IN THE ASS. It wont recognize my drive, no matter how many times I format it. Goddamnit.

Dunlop

It's crazy.

I was lucky that EBgames had a great trade in promo when the Pro launched in Canada

If it was trading in a console they took $50 off of the price of the Pro
I got $210 for my XB1 and $210 for my PS4

So $460 off of a $499 console (traded in some older games so it did not cost me anything)

Sponge

Banned
Just traded in my Wii U and a few games. In total I got 200 dollars plus the 50 dollar giftcard. I'm pretty much covered for when the Switch comes out.

Considering PS4s are going for $250 new, $175 is probably the most I'll ever get for a launch PS4 at this point. The Pro probably won't be consistently below $350 until next Christmas when the Scorpio is out. $257 (with tax) to upgrade to Pro for better, smoother visuals and finally get decent wifi on the PS4.....tempting.

So I just realized I have my backup on a 1.5TB external. Is there any way to just swap that in to my new Pro and have it work? I know the data is encrypted so I'm guessing I can't. So how do I make that 1.5TB external my internal drive with all my existing data? I have to do a lot of shuffling, don't I...

inner-G

Banned
I'm thinking of trading my GS credit for cash at one of those coin star machines

Bought so much stuff during the Steam Sale/BF that I'm set on games for a bit, and I could really use a new office chair...

How much are Wii u pro controllers trading in for?
16.50 pro 13 regular

So I just realized I have my backup on a 1.5TB external. Is there any way to just swap that in to my new Pro and have it work? I know the data is encrypted so I'm guessing I can't. So how do I make that 1.5TB external my internal drive with all my existing data? I have to do a lot of shuffling, don't I...

If only it were that easy... To my knowledge, you could restore that back up data to the internal drive of the Pro, but if you're using that full 1.5 TB that won't work...

To install the PS4 OS on a harddrive, I'm pretty sure the whole thing needs to be formatted, so there's no way to just install the OS on your backup and keep your games on there too.

Also gamestop is running a promotion starting today or tomorrow buy 2 get 1 free on anything pre owned.

U can buy 2 consoles and get a 3rd free.
Im thinking about buying a xbox one s, 3ds xl and get a ps vita free.

Tempting

If only it were that easy... To my knowledge, you could restore that back up data to the internal drive of the Pro, but if you're using that full 1.5 TB that won't work...

To install the PS4 OS on a harddrive, I'm pretty sure the whole thing needs to be formatted, so there's no way to just install the OS on your backup and keep your games on there too.
So... A lot of shuffling. Might not bother. Thank you.

chifanpoe

Tempted to upgrade to a Pro, gotta do my transfer research.

For whatever reason, my PS+ save data uploads always say failed and I never bothered looking into why or how to fix it.

I have had that happen to me with the automatic backup to plus setting. I just manually pushed them all up to the cloud before defaulting the system. No issues doing that.

compo

Banned
Damn, I wish I would have seen this sooner. I've been thinking about selling my Wii U, but I'm not very comfortable with hastily making a final decision on that by the end of today.

Top Bottom