• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: Gamestop giving $50 extra trade credit for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U

With my Wii U, PS3, games & accessories, and my old iPod 120 GB player, I ended up walking out with a PS4 Pro, a year of PSN, and Uncharted 4 and still had $7 in credit leftover. So much for the Switch (at launch anyway, which my experience with the Wii U tells me is probably wise).

The guy didn't know about the $50 gift card and I almost didn't get it. I checked the trade in values and saw the gift card wasn't there. I showed him his own website and he had to call another store to figure out how to make it work. Check your credits folks!

I get to play Horizon: Zero Dawn!

reddish

Neo Member
Just traded in a launch xbox and ps4, both were pretty dusty and had some scratches but work great, netted 300 bucks total with the gift cards and went ahead and got a 1tb xbox one s since I got the $330 ps4 pro on Cyber Monday already. There was an extra free xbox controller deal running as well that I didn't know about so they threw that in. Have never traded in anything at gamestop before as I typically just keep everything in a closet, but was surprised at how painless it was.

While fortunately I checked before I went out the door so I didn't lose mine, I'm surprised that the PS4 doesn't default to game saves in the cloud like the xbox. Seems like a weird choice to have to do it manually.

compo

Banned
Not valid toward cash trades.

Does this part of the terms and conditions for the $50 gift card mean you can only get the $50 for in store credit trades? Meaning if I took $100 cash for the Wii U, instead of the $125 credit, I wouldn't get the $50 gift card?

Jon

Does this part of the terms and conditions for the $50 gift card mean you can only get the $50 for in store credit trades? Meaning if I took $100 cash for the Wii U, instead of the $125 credit, I wouldn't get the $50 gift card?

Yes, exactly. You only get the $50 if you already take the credit trade.

ngower

Damn, this is tempting. I'm in school so barely have time to play games in general, and realistically don't see myself playing too much more of my backlog on Wii U. Could use that $175 towards the Switch.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Wish I'd known about this before I traded in my original Xbox One into Amazon last week for hopefully 144 bucks. I say hopefully, because I'm waiting for them to invariably try to dick down the payout for random nonsense reasons. I included all the original contents of the box, and even wrapped up the system, cables, and controller in the original plastic that they came in. The only thing I didn't include was the box itself, because it didn't fit in the box I was mailing. Gamestop wouldn't care about the box, because they just throw them out anyway and provide their own generic box. Amazon, on the other hand, in the past tried to lower the trade-in value of a USED memory card because I didn't include the original blister pack and paper sleeve that it came in. I may not have necessarily changed my mind, but it would have given me something else to think about if I knew that I could just walk into a GS and trade it in no muss no fuss.

The guy before me traded in his entire life, including a mint LE of Metroid Prime Trilogy (steelbook + art book). I begged him not to do it but he was adamant. He got $10 for it. :(

The guy before me traded in his entire life, including a mint LE of Metroid Prime Trilogy (steelbook + art book). I begged him not to do it but he was adamant. He got $10 for it. :(

Shit man... That's when I would just ask how much the trade value is and offer him slightly more in cash.

Unicorn

Should have bought it from him.

I'm really considering selling my Wii u. Haha I just bought it last December too for splatoon. I haven't even finished pikmin 3 or xenoblade, but I know I won't play much. 175 plus whatever the games get me would be nice for future purchases... I just feel shitty trading in a console.

Picked up with my PS4 trade in

Ratchet and clank
$20 PSN card
2ds
Pokémon moon

And still have $13 left over. Pretty awesome. Normally don't like GameStop, but I can't be assed to deal with selling my PS4 on eBay.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Shit man... That's when I would just ask how much the trade value is and offer him slightly more in cash.

Hell, I've done that while working in game retail. Once a guy was going to trade in a rare game, and I told him he could sell it online for much more. He said he didn't care, and that he just wanted some store credit. So I told him that the computer was offering him 2 bucks, and that I'd give him 10 cash, right then and there. I took my break and did the transaction in front of the store. My boss though, he was a real jerk. His eyes would light up when he saw something rare come in, and then he'd hoard all the rare titles that came into the store in the back to resell on eBay later.

jombag

With my Wii U, PS3, games & accessories, and my old iPod 120 GB player, I ended up walking out with a PS4 Pro, a year of PSN, and Uncharted 4 and still had $7 in credit leftover. So much for the Switch (at launch anyway, which my experience with the Wii U tells me is probably wise).

The guy didn't know about the $50 gift card and I almost didn't get it. I checked the trade in values and saw the gift card wasn't there. I showed him his own website and he had to call another store to figure out how to make it work. Check your credits folks!

I get to play Horizon: Zero Dawn!

How much did they give you for the PS3?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So I traded in my PS4 and an old 3DS XL, for a total of $275 including GC. I tried to get the PS Pro, but was told I couldn't use the GC in the same transaction. I gave the dude the eyebrow raise and just took my trade in + gift card to another game stop on my way home and bought the pro there. What a goof on their end. Missed out on sales for his store.

Hell, I've done that while working in game retail. Once a guy was going to trade in a rare game, and I told him he could sell it online for much more. He said he didn't care, and that he just wanted some store credit. So I told him that the computer was offering him 2 bucks, and that I'd give him 10 cash, right then and there. I took my break and did the transaction in front of the store. My boss though, he was a real jerk. His eyes would light up when he saw something rare come in, and then he'd hoard all the rare titles that came into the store in the back to resell on eBay later.

Ugh.. That's pretty crap with the manager thing, but awesome with the part that worked for you! My coworkers used to do that at Verizon (a reseller, not corporate) when people brought in perfectly good phones to trade in. You'd sometimes get an offer of as low as $10 for a phone that could easily sell for $50 to $100 if a promotion wasn't active.

So I traded in my PS4 and an old 3DS XL, for a total of $275 including GC. I tried to get the PS Pro, but was told I couldn't use the GC in the same transaction. I gave the dude the eyebrow raise and just took my trade in + gift card to another game stop on my way home and bought the pro there. What a goof on their end. Missed out on sales for his store.

Most gift cards don't activate until the transaction is completed, so he probably wasn't lying about not being able to use it. However, t's definitely a "goof" on their end for not just offering to put the money on a card and do one more transaction. Glad it worked out for you either way!

Umm you drove to another store when you could have just done a second transaction?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Umm you drove to another store when you could have just done a second transaction?
I asked for that as well, but he said I couldn't do it. I even asked "So I have to come back tomorrow?". He probably just wanted to sell the Pro and generate repeat business. However, I was in a jolly mood, so I didn't bother arguing and just went to another store on the way home, because I knew it would work. Call me weird!

ngower

Welp, went ahead and did the deed. A lot of really amazing memories with this system, but I paid $250 for the MK8 bundle and got $200 for those alone. Too good to pass up. $280 overall.

FoxDie

Done traded launch ps4 and launch wii u for pro. Initially they gave 50$ and then had to go to the website and get the other 50$. Make sure you get the whole value.

This deal ends today guys. Last chance to get some cash back for that Wii U thats collecting dust. I couldn't be any more happy with my PS4 pro and now I can justify needing a new Nintendo console in march :D

Unicorn

Welp, went ahead and did the deed. A lot of really amazing memories with this system, but I paid $250 for the MK8 bundle and got $200 for those alone. Too good to pass up. $280 overall.
I have the same. Do I just need to delete the users with NNID from the console?

ngower

I have the same. Do I just need to delete the users with NNID from the console?

I called up Nintendo and they told me to delete all data and settings (last option in System Settings). That way my account isn't deleted. They couldn't unlink the Wii U for whatever reason (I have a 3DS attached)) so will be interesting to see how that plays out for the future user.

Unicorn

I called up Nintendo and they told me to delete all data and settings (last option in System Settings). That way my account isn't deleted. They couldn't unlink the Wii U for whatever reason (I have a 3DS attached)) so will be interesting to see how that plays out for the future user.
I'm confused by the NNID explanation on the warning screen. Can anyone clear it up for me? "any linked Nintendo network IDs will not be deleted when deleting users. The Nintendo network IDs that were being used before deleting all content and settings can be reused by linking them to new Wii U users." then there are bullet points of more info. What does it all mean?

If Switch has some form of backwards compatibility with my NNID I want to retain that.

Yeah, they can move it from one console to another but they can't just have it sitting in the ether

I'm confused by the NNID explanation on the warning screen. Can anyone clear it up for me? "any linked Nintendo network IDs will not be deleted when deleting users. The Nintendo network IDs that were being used before deleting all content and settings can be reused by linking them to new Wii U users." then there are bullet points of more info. What does it all mean?

If Switch has some form of backwards compatibility with my NNID I want to retain that.

It means that the NNID account that is tied to the console, but the account itself is not being deleted. It's like deleting your iPhone and it saying your Apple account is fine, it's not being deleted as part of the process

Persona7

Banned

There is an option to delete your NNID permanently. It makes this clear and you have to click through a bunch of menus and boxes when deleting a user.

What you need to do is go into settings, system settings and then Delete All Content and Settings and then Delete everything. This option clears the system completely but your NNID is still safe. You need to note the serial number and store it somewhere for the future.

Severance

Good looks GAF. Traded in my Wii U and all was well. Picked up a Ps4 slim, FFXV and two years of PS Plus for $204. One year was free with the Ps4, except the cashier rang it up incorrectly at first so I ended up with two. She was super nice, I felt bad taking it but I guess you cant return them once activated. My lucky day I guess!

Unicorn

Yeah, they can move it from one console to another but they can't just have it sitting in the ether

It means that the NNID account that is tied to the console, but the account itself is not being deleted. It's like deleting your iPhone and it saying your Apple account is fine, it's not being deleted as part of the process

There is an option to delete your NNID permanently. It makes this clear and you have to click through a bunch of menus and boxes when deleting a user.

What you need to do is go into settings, system settings and then Delete All Content and Settings and then Delete everything. This option clears the system completely but your NNID is still safe. You need to note the serial number and store it somewhere for the future.
Thanks y'all.

Just need to remember the serial on the bottom of the console?

CodeNfX

Why are you guys trading in your games? I don't see any deals for trading games unless I missed it. I'm holding mines until they have those 50% extra trade in credit or something similar.

Does The Pro come With A Year Of Plus?

No. I had to buy it. He was trying to sell me on the regular PS4 bundle that comes with Uncharted 4 and the free year, but there's a “I have a 4K TV“ penalty.

I'm new to PS4. I have Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and The Last of Us remaster. Keeping in mind that I'm primarily a PC gamer and likely have all the good 3rd party stuff, what am I missing?

bcLand3r

Neo Member
No. I had to buy it. He was trying to sell me on the regular PS4 bundle that comes with Uncharted 4 and the free year, but there's a “I have a 4K TV“ penalty.

I'm new to PS4. I have Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and The Last of Us remaster. Keeping in mind that I'm primarily a PC gamer and likely have all the good 3rd party stuff, what am I missing?

Tearaway, and Until Dawn.

SonicBoom

Pulled the trigger and traded in my old launch 500 GB Xbox One got the $75 store credit + $50 gift card.

I'll be keeping the credit till they run B2G1 Free promo or use it towards Nioh & Gravity Rush 2 in February!

Thank You OP and fellow GAFers!!!

ngower

Ratchet and Clank has been under $20 a bunch as of late and, while it's not GOTY material, it's god damn gorgeous and a pretty fun game all things considered. There's no PC version of Destiny is there? That game has a pretty solid hook to it, though only the most hardcore stick with it deep into the endgame.

rager

Banned
I just traded my wii-u for $175. Now I'm deciding what to get. Get an Xbox one S (I only care about one game on Xbox, Forza Horizon 3) or the Switch, but I'm afraid it's going to collect dust like the wii-u was. I already own a PS4 and pro.

Unicorn

Had to wait, but got the 175 no problem for the wii u. Manager actually wanted to put it all on one GC, but the system wouldn't let him.

Heads up for anyone still taking a wii u in - delete your shit, but then make a new dummy account. Spent 15 minutes setting the console up again just so he could play a game to confirm it read discs.

I guess I wait for the Switch - nothing at Gamestop I wanted.

javadoze

Traded in my WiiU for some credit on the imminent Switch purchase.

Easy decision for me, that's for sure. Haven't used the thing in months and all the good games are getting ported over anyways.

ngower

Wait, I have to keep my serial number?

Nope, but it expedites the process if you call Nintendo to transition the NNID to another system. I was able to claim my old NNID from an old 3DS without the serial number, but it took Nintendo a little while to solve the case and get all the rights and licenses transferred since I didn't have a serial number. In short, it's extremely handy to have.

Nope, but it expedites the process if you call Nintendo to transition the NNID to another system. I was able to claim my old NNID from an old 3DS without the serial number, but it took Nintendo a little while to solve the case and get all the rights and licenses transferred since I didn't have a serial number. In short, it's extremely handy to have.

Cool, pulled it off my receipt. Thanks!

pgharavi

Banned

I was told on the phone today that it will be 24-48 hours before they're done freeing my NNID from a 3DS I had for about a month in late 2013. This is insane. my n3ds is a brick :\

Top Bottom