• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Very Hot Beverages are ‘Probable’ Cancer Trigger, Says WHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnAnole

There is always a chance you'll get cancer, excluding environmental and dieting choices. That is amplified as you get older, as most cancer patients 60+.

Duh. I didn't address this. Some things decrease your overall risk by various magnitudes, some things don't affect risk and some things increase your risk by various magnitudes. But none of this is ever discussed in these threads. Instead the majority of replies are "everything gives you cancer lol" shitposting.

clav

Not very surprising. People have fewer heat receptors inside compared to number of heat receptors in their fingers.

If you're drinking something hotter than you can touch with your fingers, then the beverage is too hot.

For Asians, hot pot is now considered a cancer risk.

Z3K

So lets turn up the turnover even more in a way that may cause necrosis? Also the effect is more pronounced in the mouth.

I'm not saying the turnover won't increase further due to consumption of hot drinks, how this causes cancer is not fully understood yet.

So going back to my post I said the statistics tell us that drinking hot drinks might give you cancer but the science is saying we don't quite know why.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
RIP hot soups.

It says 149F. I don't really know if my drinks or soup get that hot. I guess I'll check their temp next time.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Read the story people, it says VERY hot. Your coffee/tea is most likely fine.

Speaking of reading the story...

"The National Coffee Association USA recommends holding coffee at 180 to 185F; most coffee sellers serve their drinks at about 10 degrees below that after a lawsuit by a customer who was scalded by cup at the holding temperature at McDonald’s—but that’s still higher than experts now recommend to avoid cancer risk."

Isn't this the same organization that claims there are no 'cures' for cancer? I find it fascinating how ancient hot beverages are, yet do we have evidence of this or even much cancer evidence throughout history? Kinda hard to swallow this one (ha, puns)

Sephzilla

giphy.gif

10/10 first post right here

Isn't this the same organization that claims there are no 'cures' for cancer? I find it fascinating how ancient hot beverages are, yet do we have evidence of this or even much cancer evidence throughout history? Kinda hard to swallow this one (ha, puns)

You're joking, right? Evidence of cancer is found in old skeletons and mummies, and the term itself has origins hundreds of years before Christ.

Cancer is natural, it's a side effect of tissue regeneration. And there's no secret 'cure' that is being hidden by some conspiracy. Fighting cancer is fighting nature itself (and I'm all for that).

I never understood the concept of scolding hot coffee,
i only went to Starbucks twice in my life, the coffee was too piping hot to be drinkable, I had to set it down on my desk and try again in an hour for it to cool down.

Starbucks scolding hot temperature is abnormal

dalin80

Banned
Yeah, fuck it something is going to kill me eventually and if it's tea or bacon created cancer then fine. Won't be wasting any energy worrying about organisations warnings about this, that and the other.

Kinokou

Not very surprising. People have fewer heat receptors inside compared to number of heat receptors in their fingers.

If you're drinking something hotter than you can touch with your fingers, then the beverage is too hot.

Is this accurate? Does it hold for the liquid it self or also the container? I usually feel on the cup when my tea is drinkable.

Caus'I have no idea what very hot and 65 celcius actually means in practice. Guess I'll buy a drink thermometer or something.

clav

Is this accurate? Does it hold for the liquid it self or also the container? I usually feel on the cup when my tea is drinkable.

Caus'I have no idea what very hot and 65 celcius actually means in practice. Guess I'll buy a drink thermometer or something.

I remember cafes like Starbucks put extra cardboard sleeves on the cups, so you don't burn your fingers.

That said, I think the mouth is less sensitive to heat because of saliva, which is like a heatsink due to its similar water properties.

So hm. Maybe I'm wrong on the number of heat receptors, but it definitely does feel like the mouth has fewer heat receptors.

Purkake4

Banned
More like when will we get the study which claims the opposite.
WHO spends years, sometimes decades to collect enough data for a conclusion. I don't think anything has ever been removed from this list. Don't confuse WHO with some random study, those get reported on and proven false quite regularly.

I hope this will lead to some action on the part of some bigger chains.

Here is a handy list, it's not "everything". You can get cancer anyway but these things have been proven to increase the chance.

DarkKyo

Eh, I wait until my coffee is room temperature before consuming. Before I read the article I thought it was going to say any drink that's simply brewed hot an cause cancer and I got really worried.

I can't drink very hot coffee or tea anyway.

I am always shocked at people getting a cup of coffee and then drinking right away. I take a sip and burn my mouth terrible.

#sensitivemouthandthroat

sensitive people are more prone to cancer. good luck!

so basically

everything gives you cancer.

well yea, anything that can damage cells. don't bump your elbow anywhere, you might get elbow cancer even years later.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
How hot is Coffee that comes out of a Keurig? Because I drink it down right after that.

Most coffee is brewed 185-195F, I would assume somewhere in that range(edit: Keurig's site says 192 is the default temperature). Well above the cutoff for this study.

Brew it hot, cool it with ice. That's how good iced coffee is made.

That's up there with waiting for it to cool down naturally for bad ideas. At least brew it directly into a cup of ice. But really just cold brew for the best iced coffee, and to only have to make coffee a handful of times a month.

Ovid

How hot is Coffee that comes out of a Keurig? Because I drink it down right after that.

I have no idea, but I know I usually sip tea that's around 185-190F.

Most coffee is brewed 185-195F, I would assume somewhere in that range(edit: Keurig's site says 192 is the default temperature). Well above the cutoff for this study.

That sounds about right. The sweet spot for brewing tea is 190F.

This just in: Reading articles about cancer triggers can lead to cancer.

definitely, reading anything that increases your stress levels even a little leaves you vulnerable to cancerous mutations because the stress hormone cortisol can and will dampen your immune system's ability to fix those cancerous mutations.

Well I guess. Also sunlight causes cancer, and it's entirely possible I'll be killed by a car accident. Can't let fear of death mess with your life.

But I mean, tea is the most popular beverage in the world outside of water, I don't think this is a massive problem.

I'll just drink my coffee now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom