• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Very Hot Beverages are ‘Probable’ Cancer Trigger, Says WHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purkake4

Banned
Well I guess. Also sunlight causes cancer, and it's entirely possible I'll be killed by a car accident. Can't let fear of death mess with your life.

But I mean, tea is the most popular beverage in the world outside of water, I don't think this is a massive problem.

I'll just drink my coffee now.
Cancer makes up 19% of potential life years lost in Europe and 25% in US and Canada. This is about making you think a bit. If a tiny fraction of people will let their coffee/tea sit for an extra 30 seconds before drinking it, it'll have an effect. Same with the red/processed meat news before..

WHO spends years, sometimes decades to collect enough data for a conclusion. I don't think anything has ever been removed from this list. Don't confuse WHO with some random study, those get reported on and proven false quite regularly.

I hope this will lead to some action on the part of some bigger chains.

Here is a handy list, it's not "everything". You can get cancer anyway but these things have been proven to increase the chance.

Well, we are talking about the organization which has like one thing in the group 4 aka probable doesn't cause cancer.

milanbaros

Member?
I thought this was well known. Especially when you looked at Iran's mouth cancer rate and how it was always linked to their boiling hot tea.

At this point I'm inclined to accept that cancer is just part of the human condition regardless of what we do.

I have believed this for few years now, if the cells in your body is susceptible to Cancer no stopping it unless you do what some women have done, Removed their breasts and even that is not guaranteed..my father died from prostate cancer I know it's coming can't remove my prostate...

Purkake4

Banned
Well, we are talking about the organization which has like one thing in the group 4 aka probable doesn't cause cancer.
If they had enough resources to test everything, you'd have more things there. As they don't they're focusing on things that are being actively suspected of causing cancer and studied for that. It's not a yes/no situation, if people use say a tanning bed, they will on average have a higher risk of getting cancer.

Maybe one day they'll get to cellery as well. Instead of declaring that everything causes cancer, read through the list, think a bit and go on with your life.

I have believed this for few years now, if the cells in your body is susceptible to Cancer no stopping it unless you do what some women have done, Removed their breasts and even that is not guaranteed..my father died from prostate cancer I know it's coming can't remove my prostate...
You can lower your risk, even though research of prostate cancer is not very conclusive at the moment. You can live a long life and die of a variety of things (including other cancers) before you get prostate cancer, even if you have an increased risk because of certain genes.

Kieli

Serious question.

Should we even listen to what WHO has to say anymore after reports that their leaders are in (figuratively speaking) bed with the Olympic organizing committee?

Something about them not thinking Zika is a health crisis that's about to explode when all of the world travels to Brazil?

Well thank goodness I hate hot beverages. Unless I'm freezing in the snow, get that shit away from me.

Now to just wait for all the other cancer-causing things to end me.

Oppo

ideal serving temp for espresso (which I drink every day) is 160°F, and I usually let it cool for half a minute, maybe I'm ok.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Everything causes cancer apparantly. At this point I don't care anymore, you're either lucky and don't get it or you don't. I think what actually causes cancer has not been found yet. There are people that smoke three packages for fifty years and are healthy as a 30 year old who never smoked. Why is that? There's another unknown factor involved.

Hot beverages are of course one cause for cancer. Hot beverages can lead to interior burns, which means destroyed cells. Where there are destroyed cells they can mutate while creating new ones. Just like you have a higher risk of skin cancer when your skin gets sunburn.

Purkake4

Banned
Serious question.

Should we even listen to what WHO has to say anymore after reports that their leaders are in (figuratively speaking) bed with the Olympic organizing committee?

Something about them not thinking Zika is a health crisis that's about to explode when all of the world travels to Brazil?
Read the full statement of the emergency committee, composed of doctors and scientists. Particularly this part:

Based on the existing evidence from the current Zika virus outbreak, it is known that this virus can spread internationally and establish new transmission chains in areas where the vector is present. Focusing on the potential risks associated with the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Committee reviewed information provided by Brazil and Advisors specializing in arboviruses, the international spread of infectious diseases, travel medicine, mass gatherings and bioethics. The Committee concluded that there is a very low risk of further international spread of Zika virus as a result of the Olympic and Paralympic Games as Brazil will be hosting the Games during the Brazilian winter when the intensity of autochthonous transmission of arboviruses, such as dengue and Zika viruses, will be minimal and is intensifying vector-control measures in and around the venues for the Games which should further reduce the risk of transmission.

So by that logic hot showers possibly cause cancer?
If you're taking showers at 65C+ you're already fucked, bro.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Life gives you cancer, cells and their DNA can be damaged by just about anything. It's amazing that we aren't just walking tumour blobs when you consider the complexity of DNA and the sheer number of cancer-causing agents we are exposed to every second of the day. The fidelity of replication achieved during mitosis is quite remarkable.

y'all all laughed at me for not drinking coffee! who laughing now!!!(doubt my friends will read this lol)

I'll take my cold cup of OJ allday everyday!!!!

Oppo

I never understood the concept of scolding hot coffee,
i only went to Starbucks twice in my life, the coffee was too piping hot to be drinkable, I had to set it down on my desk and try again in an hour for it to cool down.

Starbucks scolding hot temperature is abnormal

coffee that berates you is indeed terrible

but scalding hot coffee is also bad it seems

Wubby

Since Mormons don't drink coffee Or caffeinated teas I'm guessing the state of Utah would show much lower levels for this type of cancer compared to other states?

Never understood people that drink coffee really hot. I see people at the office make black coffee and take a sip immediately after brewing it. Like holy shit what are you doing?!?! If that lava hits my lips I am screaming in pain, and you are just casually swallowing it? You can't possibly enjoy that, right?

I add plenty of cold milk and/or let it sit for five minutes before slowly attempting my first sip.

Lothar

Banned
Never understood people that drink coffee really hot. I see people at the office make black coffee and take a sip immediately after brewing it. Like holy shit what are you doing?!?! If that lava hits my lips I am screaming in pain, and you are just casually swallowing it? You can't possibly enjoy that, right?

I add plenty of cold milk and/or let it sit for five minutes before slowly attempting my first sip.

You don't let it hit your lips. You just open your mouth and pour it right in.

Well I guess that's not a good thing to do anymore.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Super hot showers should be avoided anyway, since it causes a lot of skin problems. That being said, it's really hard to break the habit; I have eczema and I still take hot showers...

When I used to get dry skin from what I assumed was seasonal eczema (winter cold), running piping hot water over the area was orgasmic. Of course it just made the itching worse outside the shower.

This is just common sense. They needed a study to know this?

Tea actually has numerous chemicals with effects against cancer (like EGCG). As long as you're drinking it at a reasonable temperature, I wouldn't worry.

dity

The only way to save the human race is to digitize ourselves and live in an electronic world where one can eat and drink without getting cancer.

how do people even drink extremely hot stuff in the first place? any time i don't let something cool down just a little, my tongue is burned for days.

The only way to save the human race is to digitize ourselves and live in an electronic world where one can eat and drink without getting cancer.

what about computer viruses?

Good thing I only drink water.

studies show that 100% of people who consume water will die.

Do the molten insides of a Hot Pocket count as a beverage?

Liquids at extremely high temperatures are somewhat more dangerous because of the way thermal conduction and convection happen, but super-hot solids, non-Newtonian fluids, and whatever sort of plasma they use as fillers for Hot Pockets are also bad for you to some degree.

Here's a hint: if your body responds to something with sharp pain, it's probably not great for you.

Bacon, now my morning Joe.

Is there any reason left to get out of bed? Is wanking still okay?

Regular orgasms lower the risk of prostate cancer, so wank away!

I can't drink very hot coffee or tea anyway.

I am always shocked at people getting a cup of coffee and then drinking right away. I take a sip and burn my mouth terrible.

#sensitivemouthandthroat

Yeah, same here. I have to wait several minutes for it to cool off before drinking it. It's impossible for me to drink coffee right away without burning my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom