• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Video games need fewer 'sexy' women and more you can actually fancy"

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maybe it's "He's definitely just dodging the question, exactly like I would if my girlfriend wrote for the Internet and I knew my answer would be published worldwide."

The whole basis of this article is that he couldn't come up with an answer. If he had just said "The blue alien from mass effect" or something she probably would not have written anything about it. (I haven't played mass effect btw)

Nemmy

I'd rephrase the thread title into "Video games need fewer cardboard cutout characters and more actually interesting ones," tbh.

To the people thinking the guy in OP dodged a loaded question... let me ask you, are there any female characters you'd fancy being in a relationship with? I don't mean a one night stand, I mean someone you could spend a sizable portion of your time with and think you'd enjoy their company... I can't think of too many personally.

You could ask me the same question about male characters and it would be just as hard. I mean, who would like to spend their life with Link?
Not to mention that in the real world, most videogame characters would be murderous sociopaths. I may say I have a crush on Leon Kennedy as much as the girl from the OP, but would I enjoy a company of a guy who didn't even care about going on a full blown murder spree through rural Spain? "And then I roundhouse kicked him in the head and it exploded! Fun times, fun times."

Roshin

Sounds to me like her fella wisely ducked a loaded question. That dress looks great on you and I don't fancy anyone unless they have an amazing personality like you dear. No I wasn't looking at her breasts, merely admiring that lovely brooch she had.

Pretty much. :)

"Have you lost weight, love?"

Gorger

Kinzie's nerd pandering reminds me of April Ryan from The Longest Journey :p Both are cool characters.

I'll take a nerd any day
april_ryan_by_digi_matrix-d8uy7sl.gif

Four pages in before April Ryan gets mentioned. Disappointed.

It doesn't mean that it's easier to find them admirable and cool. In which case I feel that there are way more interesting and well-developed male characters than females. I'm not sure it's necessarily about "attraction" to a character that you might think about them at night, but someone actually interesting where their tits aren't a 'key feature' of their personhood and look.

Sexiness isn't bad, the problem is when a pervy camera starts circling around more than it would a male, or when a personality is reduced to male perception of women than actual women.

Yeah this I can agree with, though if I am to think really hard I am not sure which gaming character I would want to hang out with, there are quite a few I would love to be, but as for having as friends again I am drawing a blank.

I do appreciate the fact that there are others who feels differently to me on this particular topic though.

bomblord1

Banned
After seeing this thread the thought crossed my mind to make a "what are some women you "fancy" in gaming" thread.

I quickly realized how fast that would go downhill though.

I kinda feel the same way, and I have been put off by games because of it. I probably would have played MGSV when it comes out, but tbh it is just a bit embarrassing thinking of playing it when characters like Quiet are in it. The level of objectification is just too gratuitous.

Raggie

I think the point of the article was that there are so few female characters you can care about. They are created to be pleasing to look at, not something you can relate with, not to be emotionally invested with.

I don't know why the thought of being emotionally invested in a game character is such a point of derision in here, especially when talking about female characters. It doesn't automatically mean something sad and perverted. IMO getting emotionally invested with characters is a necessity for any good fiction.

BGMNTS

I kinda feel the same way, and I have been put off by games because of it. I probably would have played MGSV when it comes out, but tbh it is just a bit embarrassing thinking of playing it when characters like Quiet are in it. The level of objectification is just too gratuitous.

When a lady in a bra is stopping you playing games....

“I can’t really think of any,” was his surprising reply. “They’re nearly all designed to be sexy, but they … they don’t really have personalities.”

It is kind of funny that the author didn't even see the inference some people might draw from this.

Also what games is this guy playing where women don't have personalities? In story-driven games where men have personalities, women tend to have them too.

For one, you can play through the game without ever encountering Quiet (last I read, anyway?)

For two, Kojima is the guy who brought us The Boss. I can give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially since it's his last MGS game anyway.

DeSolos

I'm not a fan of the sexy girl archetype. I'm much more interested in cute girls. Maya Fey from Ace Attorney and the girls from P4 are probably my favorites.

Also can't beat Rikku from FFX.(
I hate X-2 Rikku
)

I think the point of the article was that there are so few female characters you can care about. They are created to be pleasing to look at, not something you can relate with, not to be emotionally invested with.

I don't know why the thought of being emotionally invested in a game character is such a point of derision in here, especially when talking about female characters. It doesn't automatically mean something sad and perverted. IMO getting emotionally invested with characters is a necessity for any good fiction.

I really disagree with the idea that there are no female characters that I care about. The only thing I will concede is that we don't have a ton of female "lead" characters. We've had strongly developed female characters for a long time now.

It's a loaded question. You're not supposed to tell you SO that others are attractive. Whenever I see someone use the word 'objectification' I pretty much ignore whatever else they have to say. I just can't take you seriously after that.

For one, you can play through the game without ever encountering Quiet (last I read, anyway?)

For two, Kojima is the guy who brought us The Boss. I can give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially since it's his last MGS game anyway.

In this day and age, it isn't really something I want to support. I can't give him a free pass just because of his apparent intentions with the character as well.

Sky Chief

I find that in general I am not very attracted to girls who the media tries to push as being "sexy" in all mediums. They just seem so fake and done up. I have always found girls who are natural and seem more "real" to be far more sexually attractive. You know, a girl who doesn't need makeup and doesn't care if her hair or body isn't "perfect" because she is comfortable in her own skin and cares about other more important stuff. I am much more into the nice girl next door than the "perfect" sex icon so I get what the author's boyfriend is saying.

cavemancolton

Unconfirmed Member
To the people thinking the guy in OP dodged a loaded question... let me ask you, are there any female characters you'd fancy being in a relationship with? I don't mean a one night stand, I mean someone you could spend a sizable portion of your time with and think you'd enjoy their company... I can't think of too many personally.

Chie
Kairi
Aerith
Lucca
Naoto
Ellie

And maybe the girl in Shadow of the Colossus. She seems nice.

Prosopon

I think women should be depicted more realistically in video games because the current stereotypical depiction of women in games, which is essentially a pair of over sized breast stapled to a cardboard cutout with no personality, is juvenile and creepy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sounds to me like her fella wisely ducked a loaded question. That dress looks great on you and I don't fancy anyone unless they have an amazing personality like you dear. No I wasn't looking at her breasts, merely admiring that lovely brooch she had.
Glad to see you (and everyone else who agreed with you) think so little of women that you automatically think they're that infantile, petty and jealous.

But somehow I am not remotely surprised at this kind of reaction. Sigh. I can only be glad that my relationship isn't like that, at least.

I only skimmed the article but I was under the impression that the author was implying sexy and well-developed were somehow mutually exclusive character traits
Well then, perhaps you should read the article, or hell even just the snippets posted in the OP, instead of "skimming" and then posting falsehoods? Just a thought.

I feel like being honest with my partner tonight that I think her sister is hotter. Don't want to look like a coward to that guy on the Internet. I'll tell you how it goes.
Did your partner ask? No? Then what's your point? No one said one ought to go out of their way to hurt their partner's feelings, jesus.

Look, I get that a good number of people are joking, but those jokes are perpetuating a pretty silly stereotype of women. That they're jealous, and out to try and trap you and just want an argument out of this sort of stuff. Everyone making this joke is making sweeping judgements about the relationship of the writer of the article and her boyfriend, too. It's a sexist joke, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, my fiancé saw the thread and thought everyone was kind of crazy, too with that stereotype. The only reason she could see to tell a white lie like that is if it was like a close friend that even remotely would be possible as a threat. Even then, she's more a fan of actually being able to discuss these things. Asking about video game characters, though? Really?

I realize it happens. I've seen a case in a friend. Never about video game characters, though.. I don't know anyone that would be that bad at all. Never met them and neither have any of my friends. But yeah, some jealousy pops up with people you do actually know. That happens. Still, I think it's kind of bad to be perpetuating this stereotype that women are all into entrapment and will throw you a question just to get angry at you...
Thank you. <3

SmokyDave

Glad to see you (and everyone else who agreed with you) think so little of women that you automatically think they're that infantile, petty and jealous.

But somehow I am not remotely surprised at this kind of reaction. Sigh. I can only be glad that my relationship isn't like that, at least.
You are so far wide of the mark I can't help but be impressed. I'd say it's evident that if I'm 'thinking little' of anybody in this scenario, it's clearly the fella. That said I do believe that people (not just women!) have a certain point where honesty isn't always the best approach and a little ego-flattering can smooth out some situations.

You are welcome to project whatever you wish on to me, however. My relationships with the women in my life speak for themselves. I'm a good husband and father that grew up in a loving house with three sisters and no brothers. You don't know me.

Puaru1

Maybe the author's boyfriend is just a idiot who doesn't know what he likes.

It's pretty easy to list a bunch of characters that I "fancy"...

Princess Daisy
Samus Aran
Ashley Williams
Commander Shepard
Samara
Ada Wong
Sarah Kerrigan
Sheena Fujibayashi
Chun Li
Selphie Tilmitt
Quistis Trepe

I could go on. The problem isn't that “They’re nearly all designed to be sexy, but they … they don’t really have personalities.”, the problem is either your boyfriend is unable to look deeper then how attractive a character model is or he's just dumb.

bomblord1

Banned

Well then, perhaps you should read the article, or hell even just the snippets posted in the OP, instead of "skimming" and then posting falsehoods? Just a thought.

Did your partner ask? No? Then what's your point? No one said one ought to go out of their way to hurt their partner's feelings, jesus.

Thank you. <3

My Girlfriend will sometimes ask me my opinion on other girls and want me to tell her that I'm not interested. This isn't because she's petty jealous, or infantile but because she's down on herself for some reason that day and is looking for confirmation and reassurance. It's important to be able to understand when or if your partner is looking for that and empathize and comfort them. Once again it has nothing to do with being infantile, jealous, or petty and I have a hard time believing you've never wanted that reassurance and asked a question along those lines regardless of if you are male or female.

Yeah, I think that's the issue with the article being quoted, versus all the replies that knee-jerkingly dismiss it. Granted, I'm not surprised with some of the responses. It just reeks of inexperience with women in general TBH.

I'm in agreement. There's plenty of physically attractive women in games, but none that I'd want to bother actually having a relationship with. Elena from Uncharted might one one of the few, which someone mentioned earlier.

Do you know what waifu means?

I tell her i dont fancy other girls because none of them compare to you.
She tells me the best size for a cock is whatever size mine is.
All is well.

I always assumed 'waifu' was a semi-ironic term for a character you found hot/cute and wasn't meant to be a serious declaration for loving a fictional character.

I always assumed 'waifu' was a semi-ironic term for a character you found hot/cute and wasn't meant to be a serious declaration for loving a fictional character.

That's because people use it so often that it loses it's meaning =p

I personally don't have any female character that I would consider my waifu, but those that I "think you'd enjoy their company", usually comes from JRPGs like Tales or Persona. Recently I think of Toukiden as well.

True story. At the bathhouse in Witcher 3, the hottest woman was the plus sizer doing her little swivel dance in the corner. Most realistic looking NPC there.

Kind of burnt on that "perfect" proportion body style being all that's objectified.

Edit:
She never spoke. Just swiveled :-(

I don't think that's what they're talking about. The perfect proportion people would be better if they didn't solely exist for sexual appeal and had more character. Your larger women only exists for the latter, so she's part of the problem.

SeanR1221

There's no one I'd ever "fancy" being with because they're video games.

It's a really weird question.

bomblord1

Banned

It *usually* isn't.

However there are some threads on GAF where the discussion is far too serious to not be.

There was also one somewhat infamous thread where a hater was "converted" to the waifu laifu by another user.

weevles

I fancy a lot of sexually attractive girls, but I know that alone isn't what's going to make a relationship work.

The term is thrown around so much that it's a worthless term. And rather dangerous.

I think for the guy though, maybe it's something that he never thought about because it wasn't important enough.

PKrockin

The fact that certain people in Japan will pay out the ass for all sorts of memorabilia of their favorite character like figmas and body pillows, and that a lot of anime is apparently counting on this in order to even turn a profit these days, tells me it's not all jokes for some people.

Sagely

It's really common British terminology (at least when I was growing up, not that long ago) to say you fancy someone. Or even that you fancy doing xyz. Seeing as it's the Guardian, maybe the author is British and that's why she used the word. I don't hear it used much by non-Brits.

Neospartan

Neo Member
A lot of people seem to think that the guy just dodged a trap question, which I kinda agree, but I don't think it has to do with his and the author's relationship, which is what most people are assuming, leading to the discussion of such questions in a relationship. I think that, if the guy was really trying to dodge the question, it wasn't because of her possible reaction but rather the Internet's. I mean, the author mentions Bayonetta in a positive light, and she admits to being shallow with some of her choices, I doubt she would be mad with him for any response he had given. And if he had given a quick response, surely, somewhere somehow there would be SJWs telling the author to drop the guy. And also, I think this article would have been made regardless of his response, so there's that.

Am I mad if I say I would actually date Lighting from FFXIII?

-Horizon-

Maybe they should play more dating sims.
Waifus were a mistake. They're nothing but trash.

It *usually* isn't.

However there are some threads on GAF where the discussion is far too serious to not be.

There was also one somewhat infamous thread where a hater was "converted" to the waifu laifu by another user.
You're gonna need to PM me a link to that thread if you can find it :)

It's really common British terminology (at least when I was growing up, not that long ago) to say you fancy someone. Or even that you fancy doing xyz. Seeing as it's the Guardian, maybe the author is British and that's why she used the word. I don't hear it used much by non-Brits.
My first time seeing it was in a Harry Potter book years ago.

Never mind a crush, I can't think of any video game characters, male or female, that I would like to hang out with. Game characters are all bout doing, I am all about not doing. Even if it were a character who just wanted to watch cartoons and play video games, I can only stand company for an hour or so anyway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You are so far wide of the mark I can't help but be impressed. I'd say it's evident that if I'm 'thinking little' of anybody in this scenario, it's clearly the fella.
Yeah? By saying he "wisely avoided her trap"? Uhhh, no, that wasn't "evident" at all.

That said I do believe that people (not just women!) have a certain point where honesty isn't always the best approach and a little ego-flattering can smooth out some situations.

You are welcome to project whatever you wish on to me, however. My relationships with the women in my life speak for themselves. I'm a good husband and father that grew up in a loving house with three sisters and no brothers. You don't know me.
Someone's protesting much, eh? xD
Regardless of your personal life (which is irrelevant honestly), if you can't see how your original post comes across as implying that women are insecure and "boy he sure smartly dodged that bullet" by suggesting his answer was not in good faith but merely to reassure her petty feelings of jealousy, I guess I can't help you.

My Girlfriend will sometimes ask me my opinion on other girls and want me to tell her that I'm not interested. This isn't because she's petty jealous, or infantile but because she's down on herself for some reason that day and is looking for confirmation and reassurance. It's important to be able to understand when or if your partner is looking for that and empathize and comfort them. Once again it has nothing to do with being infantile, jealous, or petty and I have a hard time believing you've never wanted that reassurance and asked a question along those lines regardless of if you are male or female.
Really? Wow. Well, maybe I had everyone pegged all wrong; they weren't implying the infantile pettiness of women, maybe they were simply projecting their own? I guess that explains it. ;)

(If I'm down on myself one day, I certainly don't ask my boyfriend about other girls hoping to get some sort of answer... WTF? That makes zero sense whatsoever. And yes it's infantile as shit, the sort of mind games I expect from high school teenagers, not emotionally mature grown-ups.)

Top Bottom