• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

Banned
Arioco Arioco & 01011001 01011001

You need to use HDMI 1 on your Samsung. With my Q70r it's the only port that VRR works correctly on, same for with the PC as well.

I noticed, I now tested the Xbox HDMI cable on PS5 with other ports an none work.l except HDMI1

BUT the Xbox cable itself works better on it since LFC didn't work at all for me when using the other cable that I had the PS5 connected with.

so cables can be an issue too I think

it's really weird that it is that way since the ports should technically all be the same spec according to what they advertised it as. but then again they never advertised it as HDMI VRR compatible in the first place lol

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
What tv is this? I wish my LG or Sony tvs displayed this detailed information.
The LG TVs show a pretty comprehensive info screen if you go to the channel tunning screen and press 1 five times.

BEeIu2p.jpg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I know BC games aren't supported, but I wasn't sure how the option to apply VRR to unsupported games affects them.

I guess I didn't realize/forgot Bloodborne is capped at 30.
Beside I wonder if VRR could eliminate framepacing?I think it theoretically would but I'd like the opinion of people more knowledgeable.
Because in a theroric scenario: let's imagine Bloodborne gets a ps5 60 fps patch that somehow keep framepacing, from what I remember framerate is a solid 30 fps but with not with a constant time between frames VRR would in theory fluctuate like the frame delay right?

Arioco

but then again they never advertised it as HDMI VRR compatible in the first place lol

Oh, but they did. When I purchased my Q7 back in the day and I had to choose between that model and a LG B8 I chose the Q7 because it supported Freesync and HDMI Forum VRR. At least the TV was advertised as VRR compatible. Well, as you can see that turned out... badly. 😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Gonne try It out on my Philips ambilight OLED. But which game??
  • Elden Rings since it drops the most frames out of any other PS5 game.
  • Guardians of the galaxy 60 fps mode during some combat sections but it might have been patched since.
  • Death Stranding's native 4k 60 fps mode has some drops during cutscenes and boss fights that should get smoothed out by VRR.
  • Ratchet, Spiderman and Spideman Miles Fidelity and Performance modes are easily the best implementation right now because they unlock the 30 fps mode which now goes up to 60 fps and the 60 fps mode which now goes up to 100 fps.

Most PS5 games are a locked 60 fps due to devs using Dynamic Resolution Scaling. They will only benefit from VRS if devs go back and remove either the 60 fps cap or the DRS. A game like Hitman which was capped at 1800p and almost never dropped frames could now potentially get a native 4k mode like the XSX and simply let vrs handle the rare drops. Same with Uncharted. No point in locking the native 4k version to 30 fps anymore. Just remove the cap and let VRR handle any smoothing over 30 fps.

Banned
Oh, but they did. When I purchased my Q7 back in the day and I had to choose between that model and a LG B8 I chose the Q7 because it supported Freesync and HDMI Forum VRR. At least the TV was advertised as VRR compatible. Well, as you can see that turned out... badly. 😂

when I got it I never saw HDMI VRR advertised only Freesync Ultimate.

but hey, with the Xbox Cable connected to HDMI 1 it now works Basically flawlessly for me.

due to the more robust VRR features, the Xbox doesn't care which cable or input it uses as long as its 2.0 compatible, so no issue there either

Last edited:

sinnergy

but hey, with the Xbox Cable connected to HDMI 1 it now works Basically flawlessly for me.

due to the more robust VRR features, the Xbox doesn't care which cable or input it uses as long as its 2.0 compatible, so no issue there either
Yup.

Banned
  • Ratchet, Spiderman and Spideman Miles Fidelity and Performance modes are easily the best implementation right now because they unlock the 30 fps mode which now goes up to 60 fps and the 60 fps mode which now goes up to 100 fps.

Fidelity mode, at least in Spider-Man remastered (haven't tried the other 2 since I don't have them installed atm due to SSD space) has issues with Low Framerate Compensation tho.
so that one isn't the best atm.

with the Xbox cable connected to HDMI 1 it now stopped jumping from 119hz to 48hz and back up again, which introduced massive stutters, but it still is highly unstable, jumping from 80hz to 119hz and back down to 70hz, stuff like that.

it seems like they have to patch that mode further.

some on here even showed it jumping from 119hz to 48hz like it did for me when using the other HDMI cable I used.
so Low Framerate Compensation seems to be a bit iffy still, either on PS5 in general or in this specific game

Arioco

But doesn't it work on your TV with any other HDMI cable? Not even if you use the official PS5 cable? Because that would be so weird.

Banned
But doesn't it work on your TV with any other HDMI cable? Not even if you use the official PS5 cable? Because that would be so weird.

it works, but has issues. for example it switches resolution weirdly whenever it would kick in. like in SpiderMan when I chose my save file, it would literally switch to 480p60hz with an accompanying black screen, and then back up to 1080p120hz

with the Xbox cable that doesn't happen anymore it seems.

also in Spider-Man in 120hz fidelity mode the refresh would rapidly jump from 48hz to 119hz and back down again, creating massive stutters.

with the Xbox cable that mode still judders a bit but the jumps are now from 119hz to 70hz or 75hz, 80hz etc. so it's closer to what you would expect if not really perfect either still

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Tried this on the Insomniac games last night, and wow, absolutely brilliant. A real game changer for me.

All 3 of them look beautiful and (to me at least) run brilliantly in the fidelity modes now. Definitely a step above 40fps, which was already pretty good.

Just hope it can be applied to more titles now, and become a standard option going forward.

Oh, and GG please get this sorted for Horizon FW ffs. There's really no excuse now.
Like I said in the other thread, Insomniac are true wizards. They are what other developers should strive to be..and are absolutely worth every single penny Sony spent to acquire them

Mr Moose

If it only goes down to 48hz it wont make any difference will it?
It's also a PS4 game.
it works, but has issues. for example it switches resolution weirdly whenever it would kick in. like in SpiderMan when I chose my save file, it would literally switch to 480p60hz with an accompanying black screen, and then back up to 1080p120hz
My PS4 used to do that when switching from SDR to HDR.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Right so 'unsupported games' is purely unpatched PS5 games at 48hz - 120hz?

I was really hoping to see if there was any difference with TLOU2.
Yeah I believe so.
VRR
Allow the refresh rate to adjust in real time while using TVs and games that support VRR (variable refresh rate). Results vary depending on the TV you're using and if the PS5 game you are playing supports VRR.

PS5™ consoles support VRR through HDMI 2.1. Other display standards such as NVIDIA G-SYNC® and AMD FreeSync™ are not supported.

Turn on Apply to Unsupported Games to improve video quality for some PS5 games that do not support VRR. If you experience unexpected behavior while playing games, turn off this setting.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
this is what VSYNC stands for. it adds input lag. there's no two ways about it. it is a limitation of the technology itself.
It's a limitation of display technology - VSync is just a synchronization with what display says it's doing.
Yes - shortening the refresh cycle has some influence on motion-2-photon latency (17ms worst case for a 60hz refresh, 8ms for 120hz) but given typical 30fps games do indeed hit well above 100ms, it's single digit % at worst. And it's not a function of VRS - just faster refresh. The only way to eliminate this would be to allow displays to not do vertical refresh (technology is technically capable - VSync is an artifact of CRT panels), but it's probably not worth the headache for a few ms.
Ultimately though, 30fps double-buffered has a theoretical optimum between 66-83ms (the upper end is for 60hz container, and I'm assuming CRT lagless type of display). Very few games are optimized for latency that well - but they do exist. Cutting below that would require either specialized late-data latching on inputs (possible on consoles, but outside of VR I've never seen anyone attempt it yet), or going single-buffered and chase the V-Beam (theoretically possible on a console, but just not all that practical - probably more cost-effective to make your game run at twice the framerate instead).

Arioco

with the Xbox cable that doesn't happen anymore it seems.

also in Spider-Man in 120hz fidelity mode the refresh would rapidly jump from 48hz to 119hz and back down again, creating massive stutters.

with the Xbox cable that mode still judders a bit but the jumps are now from 119hz to 70hz or 75hz, 80hz etc. so it's closer to what you would expect if not really perfect either still

Oh, I thought you were using a random HDMI cable and switching to Series X official one solved the issue, but if it's the official PS5 cable and still you have issues... that's really weird. I'll have to borrow a Series X HDMI cable and give it a try. Not that I have one at hand, unfortunately. 😂

Banned
Oh, I thought you were using a random HDMI cable and switching to Series X official one solved the issue, but if it's the official PS5 cable and still you have issues... that's really weird. I'll have to borrow a Series X HDMI cable and give it a try. Not that I have one at hand, unfortunately. 😂

yeah, I now literally have my Series X connected with the PS5 cable, and my PS5 with the Series X cable 🤣 it is weird for sure

Arioco

yeah, I now literally have my Series X connected with the PS5 cable, and my PS5 with the Series X cable 🤣 it is weird for sure

Dude, that abomination clearly goes against nature.

In the good old days people were burned at the stake for much less than that. Just saying... 😂

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
VRR doesn't works for 30 FPS game though.
it can but it really depends on the display/implementation. VRR can work to as low a 20fps. sometimes a VRR display will use LFC for anything under 40-48fps though.

VRR is really meant for 60fps and beyond. not for improving performance of games that can only manage or are locked to 30fps.

DJ12

People seem to be loving VRR: where are my fellow Sony fans who weirdly bashed this feature for a year and a half?
As bait goes, that's poor.

The last year and a half is a bit of a stretch, and the argument was it didn't turn a worse performing version of the game into the better one.

Performance was still worse anyway people wanted to slice it.

and lets be honest, there's one game that's shown the real benefit of VRR on Series X, PS5 had 3 before VRR was even enabled.

Hopefully the trend continues on when a console(s) can achieve 60fps without dipping all the time.

Last edited:

scydrex

Now becuase of VRR will change my TV maybe at the end of the year. The VRR works on my X900h but sacrifice local dimming is not cool... I think i will use VRR for games like Elden Ring and try it with the other games that support unlocked FPS with VRR and decide from there. Saldy i don't have yet Miles Morales and Rachet to test but have Dirt 5 from plus, Deathloop, Resident Evil Village to try it. Will see what other games would benefit.

Have anyone tried Guardian of the Galaxy? That one had FPS drops in the 60fps mode.

DJ12

There were absolutely people bending over backwards to claim VRR doesn't matter at all, like endlessly.
And when one version was running at a worse framerate, but had VRR is absolutely didn't, and still doesn't.

If you cannot sense drops with VRR, which are annoying as fuq, then fair play to you.

I find it worse than tearing, which I never really notice on TV when playing

DJ12

You should quote those people.
Then go and quote the people that claimed victory in head to heads and have them retroactively amend their posts. See which list is longer.
Don't worry, I think they are starting the old circle jerk off again.

Mr Moose

There were absolutely people bending over backwards to claim VRR doesn't matter at all, like endlessly.
Most games don't need it because they are pretty solid and don't have tearing. With these updates (Spider-Man and so on) games have unlocked performance, which didn't really happen all that much before, we've only really seen that in one or two games before now with the most recent one being Dying Light 2.
A few games reallllllly need it, Ghostwire and Elden Ring being the most recent that come to mind, though I don't think it helps much with the 4k mode on Elden Ring (felt like shit to me when I tried it, non-VRR).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As bait goes, that's poor.

The last year and a half is a bit of a stretch, and the argument was it didn't turn a worse performing version of the game into the better one.

Performance was still worse anyway people wanted to slice it.

and lets be honest, there's one game that's shown the real benefit of VRR on Series X, PS5 had 3 before VRR was even enabled.

Hopefully the trend continues on when a console(s) can achieve 60fps without dipping all the time.
And I still don't use it, since I prefer black frame insertion, visually.

Most games at 60 don't need it so far, and I hope that trend continues over the latter.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Probably a extremely newbie question but:

If you don't have a VVR TV the option to enable it simply doesn't appear?

I would assume it would pop-up on my settings, just greyed out but nop, no sign of it at all.

NVM: Apparently if you have your console in portuguese the VVR option doesn't show. You need to change to English and than go back to portuguese.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Probably a extremely newbie question but:

If you don't have a VVR TV the option to enable it simply doesn't appear?

I would assume it would pop-up on my settings, just greyed out but nop, no sign of it at all.
Try restarting your system from the options menu or unplugging your hdmi cable.

Top Bottom