• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

Mr Moose

Probably a extremely newbie question but:

If you don't have a VVR TV the option to enable it simply doesn't appear?

I would assume it would pop-up on my settings, just greyed out but nop, no sign of it at all.
It says VRR Not Supported or something in the PS5 video settings menu.

ps5-vrr-update-2.png

Last edited:

FrankWza

Don't worry, I think they are starting the old circle jerk off again.
I get it. There were people who were against it I guess but from what I recall it was just a matter of wanting developers to keep frame rates optimal without it and not use it as a crutch. I don’t know how often the conversation went to the added benefits that Insomniac is doing. But I guarantee more posters used it as ammunition for console warring. Especially in the head to heads when the PS5 version had similar resolutions and better performance but wasn’t completely locked.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But I guarantee more posters used it as ammunition for console warring. Especially in the head to heads when the PS5 version had similar resolutions and better performance but wasn’t completely locked.
Noooo, not on the internets. Especially on here of all places.
Lying Love And Hip Hop GIF by VH1

Dr Bass

People seem to be loving VRR: where are my fellow Sony fans who weirdly bashed this feature for a year and a half?
I don't recall a single person "bashing" the feature.

The only argument I saw, and that I believe I also made, was that it was not a "game changing" feature that would lift a crappy game into a great one, as one side was touting for so long.

The funny thing about this is, it's not a Sony/Xbox thing. This was available on PC, and I saw it and experienced it when it launched nearly ten years ago in 2013 when it was called Nvidia G-sync. I had the same reaction then. "Hey that's nice." And then I didn't give it a second thought because it means absolutely nothing to content.

This is simply a straw man argument, and it seems like people who were trying to use it as a weapon in console warring are pissed off that it's off the table, and the Sony only people are just nonplussed as expected. Because it's a nice to have, and simply nothing more.

I don't use it on my PS5 or XSX on my tv because the trade offs make the games look worse overall. Even Elden Ring. Games that are already technically good, just don't see much tangible benefit.

The coolest thing we've learned after this was enabled on PS5, is just how much overhead exists when running the Insomniac games. Clearly we are going to see some great looking stuff in the coming years. But other than that, this is a topic that can basically die on this board. You like the feature, you run it. You don't have a tv that supports it or the trade offs are too much, you don't. And the games, when you get right down to it, are exactly the same.

Btw, may I ask you about ... on second thought, never mind.

So, moving on.

Last edited:

solidus12

I tried Miles Morales in fidelity mode 40fps 120hz with VRR, and I thought the game was smoother than 40fps (which I had already tested on Ratchet prior to the VRR update).

but we have influencers like him saying stuff like that:

Any truth to this?

Mr Moose

I tried Miles Morales in fidelity mode 40fps 120hz with VRR, and I thought the game was smoother than 40fps (which I had already tested on Ratchet prior to the VRR update).

Any truth to this?

Please don't post that fanboys tweets.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Any truth to this?

No.

Stop posting these clowns tweets. They just straight up lie.

Rivet

OGamingk, so fanboys like Colt I understand, but why are professionals like Alex (lol), Tom Warren, and Destin Legarie always critcize what Sony does?

Probably money. Like Heisenberg already proved here (including receipts verified by moderators), MS already tried to bribe Digital Foundry people before. It's either money or fanboyism. Or both.

Buying influencers is very cheap for MS. We're talking about a $2 trillion market cap corporation, one of the richest corporations ever.

Last edited:

DJ12

Well, I see a lot of Sony fanboys on Twitter. Maybe some of them are paid shills too. It's hard to know for sure.
As the defacto market leader, paying for shills is probably something Sony don't need to do.

There's no narrative that needs changing and they don't really need fud spreading about other consoles.

Last edited:
If I was paid I wouldn't post what I just posted about potential Sony shills.

I'm definitely in the blue team, but I also play on PC and Meta Quest 2. I'm more a fan than a fanboy. :messenger_winking:
I'm pretty neutral but I'm also for sale.

If any MS representative is reading this feel free to contact me. I'm just going to request some controlled leaks to get some clout first. You would get your moneys worth in no time.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

So Is everyone enjoying the update? It's so good imo. Only played spider man myself but I'm super impressed. Awesome shit!

I was thinking last night how really great of a movie Blade Runner is, and I think it's under estimated even by people who say they are "fans." The idea of how important our memories are to us, and how we feel they make us who we are in a lot of ways. The inevitability of death. How when we die those memories, our thoughts and experiences, the things we hold most dear to us (and for me that includes experiences of some video games as a child), simply vanish into the ether. Now think of the scale to which this happens on a daily basis. Combinhat with the groundbreaking visuals, the all time classic score by Vangelis, who is also one of my favorite musicians in general ... Just a complete "lightning in a bottle" classic. In fact, I think I'll put my copy of the full "from the movie" soundtrack. Right as soon as Skyrim finishes here. :)

It also made me think of how damn pointless the sequel was, and even though it looked nice, it in no way followed the tone or spirit of the original. A completely plot-driven piece of entertainment, with no "ideas" whatsoever. It shouldn't have been made.

I know you did it awhile ago, but I am also glad you picked a great avatar to match your name, and are no longer that big purple D (that sounds like a health condition).

Also the VRR update is fine.

Rivet

So Is everyone enjoying the update? It's so good imo. Only played spider man myself but I'm super impressed. Awesome shit!

Yes, I'm that close to apologizing to Riky, which would probably make me puke.

Elden Ring PS5 looks transformed, and it's great on Spiderman too (although Spiderman was already running great before).

Still, remember only a tiny fraction of players have VRR screens (so more than 80 % of people probably don't benefit from VRR), and tons of games don't really gain a lot because they're already very smooth and locked 60.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I was thinking last night how really great of a movie Blade Runner is, and I think it's under estimated even by people who say they are "fans." The idea of how important our memories are to us, and how we feel they make us who we are in a lot of ways. The inevitability of death. How when we die those memories, our thoughts and experiences, the things we hold most dear to us (and for me that includes experiences of some video games as a child), simply vanish into the ether. Now think of the scale to which this happens on a daily basis. Combinhat with the groundbreaking visuals, the all time classic score by Vangelis, who is also one of my favorite musicians in general ... Just a complete "lightning in a bottle" classic. In fact, I think I'll put my copy of the full "from the movie" soundtrack. Right as soon as Skyrim finishes here. :)

It also made me think of how damn pointless the sequel was, and even though it looked nice, it in no way followed the tone or spirit of the original. A completely plot-driven piece of entertainment, with no "ideas" whatsoever. It shouldn't have been made.

I know you did it awhile ago, but I am also glad you picked a great avatar to match your name, and are no longer that big purple D (that sounds like a health condition).

Also the VRR update is fine.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

my favourite film, and the soundtrack.....sublime.

blade runner GIF

glad you're enjoying the update :D

Last edited:

yamaci17

If I was paid I wouldn't post what I just posted about potential Sony shills.

I'm definitely in the blue team, but I also play on PC and Meta Quest 2. I'm more a fan than a fanboy. :messenger_winking:
u27G0Ea.png

rivet u actually very cool, very cool name and profile picture, rivet very cool. i hope i get ps5 at some time and play tha game as well. or i hope it get to pc port so i dont have to get ps5 ok?

Last edited:
Top Bottom