• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WandaVision |OT| Wanda's Mental Multiverse Breakdown

Jethalal

Banned
No, the first three is all they screened for the media.

The show is 9 episodes and the sitcom eras go from the 1950s to the 2000s. So it's possible the first 6 episodes are the sitcom ones.
I was referring to this:

Feige also cleared the air for us on WandaVision episode lengths, seeing as the first three episodes screened by the press on Friday all hovered around a half-hour, which frankly makes sense given the way the titular characters’ life is presented via fantastically faithful homages to sitcoms from the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s.

Once the series begins to break away from that creative construct, as the close of Episode 3 most strongly suggests, running times “start to vary more, yes,” Feige assures TVLine.

I think the sitcom stuff might continue later on but by the end of 3, more and more outside stuff might be shown and sitcom stuff might take a backseat.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I was referring to this:

I think the sitcom stuff might continue later on but by the end of 3, more and more outside stuff might be shown and sitcom stuff might take a backseat.

There are still three sitcom eras. They didn't show the media any of the episodes where the twins were anything more than babies. They apparently grow up to teenagers through the course of the sitcom eras (Wiccan and Speed).

Jethalal

Banned
There are still three sitcom eras. They didn't show the media any of the episodes where the twins were anything more than babies. They apparently grow up to teenagers through the course of the sitcom eras (Wiccan and Speed).
Yeah but that comment that after 3 some change takes place seems to suggest something special happening. I generally like the weekly release stuff but I feel low action in sitcom episodes might be off-putting for some especially in regions outside US where most of the old sitcoms aren't popular so homages and reference to them might not be as interesting to them. I only know about 90s and 00s sitcoms personally and I expect others to know even less. So I hoped they'd speedrun the release of sitcom episodes.

Jethalal

Banned
ErjZY1gW4AInLiq

ErjZZgKXAAI4rqk

S.W.O.R.D. logo and full form from new merch.
The sentient weapon one makes me think, they'll be searching for Vision, or Ultron who knows .

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Yeah but that comment that after 3 some change takes place seems to suggest something special happening. I generally like the weekly release stuff but I feel low action in sitcom episodes might be off-putting for some especially in regions outside US where most of the old sitcoms aren't popular so homages and reference to them might not be as interesting to them. I only know about 90s and 00s sitcoms personally and I expect others to know even less. So I hoped they'd speedrun the release of sitcom episodes.
Been reading the reviews, seems that my suspicions had a shade of truth in them. The sitcom episodes are being criticized for this reason and being a bit too meta and I feel they should have been released quickly.

sol_bad

Australia is fine with sitcoms and I'd assume the UK would be too.
I Dream of Jeanie, Mr Ed, Bewitched, Rosanne, Drew Carey Show, Friends, Modern Family, 3rd Rock From the Sun and That 70's Show were all popular here.
I loved Bewitched and Jeanie when I was younger, they always played reruns of them here.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Australia is fine with sitcoms and I'd assume the UK would be too.
I Dream of Jeanie, Mr Ed, Bewitched, Rosanne, Drew Carey Show, Friends, Modern Family, 3rd Rock From the Sun and That 70's Show were all popular here.
I loved Bewitched and Jeanie when I was younger, they always played reruns of them here.

AFAIK American sitcoms are well known in the UK as well.

Jethalal

Banned
Wow this was great. Just don't expect a typical superhero show. Some great acting and they got the setting right it seems. I might have missed some references to older shows but I got the gist of it. It was quite funny and had this eery atmosphere to it. The most unique TV I have personally seen. I don't wanna spoil any plot detail so I'll leave it at that. No post credits if anyone was wondering.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Wow this was great. Just don't expect a typical superhero show. Some great acting and they got the setting right it seems. I might have missed some references to older shows but I got the gist of it. It was quite funny and had this eery atmosphere to it. The most unique TV I have personally seen. I don't wanna spoil any plot detail so I'll leave it at that. No post credits if anyone was wondering.

They won't do post-credits every 30 min. They'll save that for the finale like they did with Mandalorian.

Jethalal

Banned
They won't do post-credits every 30 min. They'll save that for the finale like they did with Mandalorian.
Yeah but the 5 minute credits were too long so I thought there would be something at the end. TV shows don't have such long credits maybe it is due to the scale of the production.

Jethalal

Banned
I don't know much about old sitcoms but the humor in the 1st episode was a lot like the old episodes of Tom and Jerry, the kind of expressions and gags. I really liked the 1st one. The second one was fine too, though I did love how silly the premise was. I guess the humor will keep on maturing as eras change.

Jethalal

Banned
A friend of mine didn't like it. He is more into the action kind of guy, so I knew it was coming. The show will definitely tank in China when it releases there. Very different approach to a superhero show and seeing what worked there (Aquaman,Venom,etc.), I doubt it will work there.

Jethalal

Banned
Could be cool as a one-off, but I suspect it'll turn into another Man In The High Castle where they stretch the concept over too many seasons.
Likely not. I don't wanna spoil anything but this movie leads into Doctor Strange 2, not into some another season. The way where it is headed, if they actually make a season 2, it won't be similar to this at all.

Wanda fucks up the Multiverse in this. That continues into Spider-Man 3 (and Doctor Strange is in that too) and then it's not fixed until Doctor Strange 2. So WandaVision, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange 2 kind of make a Multiverse trilogy.
Interesting, thanks.

I'm aware that Scarlet Witch has a habit of doing this in the comics so it jives with what I know, I just wasn't sure what angle this particular story was taking.

sol_bad

Wanda fucks up the Multiverse in this. That continues into Spider-Man 3 (and Doctor Strange is in that too) and then it's not fixed until Doctor Strange 2. So WandaVision, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange 2 kind of make a Multiverse trilogy.

This is all guess work, there are even hints that Wanda isn't fully in control. Fact is, no one knows how this show will end except the production crew.

Tesseract

Banned
Strange 2 will have elements of horror, that's what they said before the whole director fiasco. Things might have changed but hiring of Sam Raimi who has made horror movies suggests that it still will have horror in some form.
guess i memory holed the sam raimi hire because that's blowing my mind right now

day 0

The first 2 episodes where really bizarre, like an old school sitcom, soap opera kind of thing. It wasn't bad though, I laughed a couple of times, especially in episode 2.

Obviously there's some funny business going on! The whole thing is obviously not real. Either Wanda is imagining things or she has brainwashed a whole town to do her bidding. I'm intrigued to find out what's going on... I'll be tuning in next week.

Ionian

I'm of the same mind. Watched plenty of old-school sitcoms as a kid. I've had my fill already.

Will jump in when the action is reported and watch those.

I actually really enjoyed these first two episodes. Maybe due to MCU withdraw, but I thought they were really well done in setting stuff up for the future. I need to rewatch the episodes, but they had me grinning last night and I legit loled at a couple of jokes.

My biggest complaints are:

1) No mention of Pietro or her parents for that matter. If she's recreating this whole damn thing you'd expect she'd want her whole family to be there especially given how her parents dying was a motivation for her to go to Ultron and how painful it was for her when her brother died. Hopefully they show up in future episodes.
2) Perfect American accent Wanda Maximoff. We go from thick Eastern European accent in AoU to a lesser accent in subsequent movies to sounding like a midwestern girl from OH in Wandavision. Call me weird but I liked the accent

skneogaf

Erm.... I really don't care for this sitcom stuff more than a bit an episode maybe but 2 maybe 3 of them is naff! Struggled to stay awake.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I will probably check this out when more episodes are available. Seems like a very strange concept, which could be good or bad.

John Day

I liked all the comedy while the music hinted at darker things. I don’t know man, seems like shit is getting wild and Wanda is part of the whole multiverse thing. That, or they are fucking with us, which sometimes is a good thing.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member
Not feeling this show at all. It's hinting at some stuff during the extro, that is the stuff they should show imho, not this wierd garbo com schtick.

A wasted opportunity imho, show us the other parts already. Poorly written, and does not deliver anything atm.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Finished episodes 1 and 2. The series is starting off at a really slow pace by focussing on delivering authentic old sitcoms but I've enjoyed it so far.

I can't say I would rewatch the episodes any more than I would re-watch the old sitcoms themselves. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are nice to watch on screen, moreso Olsen because she's not playing an android playing a human.

Top Bottom