• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WandaVision |OT| Wanda's Mental Multiverse Breakdown

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Absolutely loved the first 2 episodes. I was wondering how they could keep this 50’s stuff moving, but the endings kept me interesting in what’s coming. It looks like more stuff seeps into each episode as it goes on too. Kind of a mind fuck series and I love that approach.

John Day

Notice how when things are getting out of hand, the...”system” or show push them (wanda and vision) to fix things.

when Mr. Heart is choking, or when Dottie gets hurt and bleeds. And that rewind when the beekeper showed up off the sewer.

Things ain’t right in Westview.

fallingdove

I didn’t particularly like first two episodes. I know that sitcoms from the 50s and 60s had a hokiness to them but the scenarios they selected for episodes 1 and 2 did more to annoy than entertain.

Not sure if I will watch any more of the show. There is too much great tv out there to have to slog through 30 minutes of meh.

Cocksman

The retro tv stuff is actually a slog for me . But the mystery and inevitable tie ins to future MCU projects is enough to keep me watching.

xandaca

Didn't think much of these episodes at all. The 50s/60s sitcom trappings didn't serve any purpose other than as a meaningless spoof and if the intention was to emphasize Wanda and Vision's struggle to find a place for themselves as a couple in the world - my guess is that this is all taking place in Wanda's head, or a creation of hers somehow - there were no signs of meaningful emotional conflict to overcome (not being able to say when pressed about how long you'd been a couple is hardly an issue of profound importance) for the characters either individually or as a couple. Each episode's 'story' was disposable at best and like so many streaming shows, only existed to fill time between getting to the season arc teases. Long story short, neither episode offered much more than a condescending 'hey, remember how lame old sitcoms were? Isn't this hilarious?', even though the best of those old sitcoms were a lot edgier and interesting than this show's writers even try to match. Elizabeth Olsen is wonderful and gets the tone of her performance spot-on, but Paul Bettany missed the mark completely. The jokes of that era - of which this show only offered tepid imitations - depended on a certain type of performance to land, much as how performances in single-camera comedies have to be very different from more naturalistic ones without accompanying laughter. Olsen and Hahn got it right, Bettany and Caulfield-Ford did not. I wrote a review on my blog, though it's basically an expanded version of what I've written here. I might keep watching for Olsen and the lack of anything else new, but on the basis of these two episodes, this looks like a show without any depth beyond whether you find imitating the old sitcom aesthetic funny or not.

Yeah but the 5 minute credits were too long so I thought there would be something at the end. TV shows don't have such long credits maybe it is due to the scale of the production.
Disney just has no reason to make the credits 100x speed like they do on cable. They aren’t rushing to the next ad.

as someone that works in the industry I quite like it but I understand expecting something at the end of all that!

Jethalal

Banned
Disney just has no reason to make the credits 100x speed like they do on cable. They aren’t rushing to the next ad.

as someone that works in the industry I quite like it but I understand expecting something at the end of all that!
I was just referring to the amount of credits, like you see a normal sitcom, they have a 30 second or even lower end credits like 'It's always Sunny In Philadelphia'. Ofcourse these are made by the MCU guys, so the production was more lavish and had more people attached.

It must be nice seeing your name and knowing the whole world is doing so, I feel good for the people working hard behind these shows (●'◡'●)

I was just referring to the amount of credits, like you see a normal sitcom, they have a 30 second or even lower end credits like 'It's always Sunny In Philadelphia'. Ofcourse these are made by the MCU guys, so the production was more lavish and had more people attached.

It must be nice seeing your name and knowing the whole world is doing so, I feel good for the people working hard behind these shows (●'◡'●)
Yes I think generally these do have more a lot more crew, departments.

And a lot is yet to be seen but it seems like it will only get bigger. I have friends working on the vfx for later episodes as we speak.

Jethalal

Banned
Yes I think generally these do have more a lot more crew, departments.

And a lot is yet to be seen but it seems like it will only get bigger. I have friends working on the vfx for later episodes as we speak.
Yup the show has more VFX shots than Endgame, even though it's nearly double in length I am sure there are going to be some great set-pieces and trippy scenes.

Did anyone else get creeped out during the choking scene in episode 1?
Just watched episode one and it was easily the best part. The mask got shook this early.

People are saying it's a dud but the MCU has caused people to have no patience and want explosions every 20 seconds. The pacing and build up is gonna be wasted on them.

Laughed at when Vision works at FTL speeds cuz it's just fucking dumb.

Jethalal

Banned
Just watched episode one and it was easily the best part. The mask got shook this early.

People are saying it's a dud but the MCU has caused people to have no patience and want explosions every 20 seconds. The pacing and build up is gonna be wasted on them.

Laughed at when Vision works at FTL speeds cuz it's just fucking dumb.
I really loved that childish sorta humour.

I don't think MCU has caused that, whenever an MCU movie has less action or is atypical then people start calling it boring. People said that for Spider-Man Homecoming and how Captain America: Civil War is boring as it has little action until the last third of the movie or even Ant Man & The Wasp (which I disliked for different reasons). People can't wait as the show is more MCUish in the last 3 episodes (?) when the sitcom stuff wraps up and the mystery is over.

sol_bad

Didn't think much of these episodes at all. The 50s/60s sitcom trappings didn't serve any purpose other than as a meaningless spoof and if the intention was to emphasize Wanda and Vision's struggle to find a place for themselves as a couple in the world - my guess is that this is all taking place in Wanda's head, or a creation of hers somehow - there were no signs of meaningful emotional conflict to overcome (not being able to say when pressed about how long you'd been a couple is hardly an issue of profound importance) for the characters either individually or as a couple. Each episode's 'story' was disposable at best and like so many streaming shows, only existed to fill time between getting to the season arc teases. Long story short, neither episode offered much more than a condescending 'hey, remember how lame old sitcoms were? Isn't this hilarious?', even though the best of those old sitcoms were a lot edgier and interesting than this show's writers even try to match. Elizabeth Olsen is wonderful and gets the tone of her performance spot-on, but Paul Bettany missed the mark completely. The jokes of that era - of which this show only offered tepid imitations - depended on a certain type of performance to land, much as how performances in single-camera comedies have to be very different from more naturalistic ones without accompanying laughter. Olsen and Hahn got it right, Bettany and Caulfield-Ford did not. I wrote a review on my blog, though it's basically an expanded version of what I've written here. I might keep watching for Olsen and the lack of anything else new, but on the basis of these two episodes, this looks like a show without any depth beyond whether you find imitating the old sitcom aesthetic funny or not.

It can't and isn't taking place in Wandas head. The transmission in episode 2 asks who is doing it to her. She obviously has some control over the reality though.
And I'm not sure why the yearly settings need to have a purpose from the beginning. That's meant to be part of the mystery and it wouldn't be a mystery if they told us straight away.

And you may not like Bettanys acting but I think it adds weirdness to the whole scenario, like he isn't acting 100% like he should from the era.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Is there many xmen or mutant references? Im not really into marvel movies but am interested in the x books
Only Fox "Mutant" thing in the show is SWORD. That was part of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

Probably a more direct Mutant reference will be in Falcon & Winter Soldier when they go to Madripoor.

K' Dash

This needed a couple more inserts of creepy shit sprinkled throughout the episodes, being mainly 50s sitcom with 10 seconds of whatever is really happening at the end is not the way to go.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This needed a couple more inserts of creepy shit sprinkled throughout the episodes, being mainly 50s sitcom with 10 seconds of whatever is really happening at the end is not the way to go.
I think that is the way it is going. Episode 1 was the ending, episode 2 had the radio and glass incident in the middle along with the helicopter. I feel that each episode going forward will break walls more and more often.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked the first two episodes. At first I was like ookaaay okaaay enough of the old school sitcom crap. But then once I accepted this might just be what it is, I kinda started enjoying it.

Mix in some mysteries and I have hopes they might snap out of it and it start to evolve. Admittedly, the shtick will probably get old for a entire season, but as a setup I quite liked it and I miss the charm of those old sitcoms.

Btw 1950's outfits I love. The dutiful wife routine is one of my kinks.

Last edited:
1 episode of this was more than enough to build whatever they're heading into, those 2 or 3 episodes of this should have been condensed into 1 episode and just got moving long already. I enjoyed the concept for the first episode and started to wonder why I was still watching through the second. The magic act just highlighted it for me, carried on far too long.

Hopefully the payoff is worth it and this show hits the accelerator by end of EP3.

She's definitely realising she can be in control and is actively choosing to stay in her fantasy for comfort e.g. when she says no and rewinds to the pregnancy bit

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
WTF did I just watch?

Ian Henry

Not a Marvel fan in the slightest. I'm more into DC and Valiant comics. Those episodes were boring as hell. The series should start to pop off when they're confronted with reality.
Wanda cute tho.

Cocksman

k0hmac5cuandhzeoxzji.png
Wanda’s thigh gap in her Magician’s assistant outfit was top tier .

Impotaku

I watched a very interesting theory vid on youtube that Wanda is actually like a living version of the infinity gauntlet as her abilities seem to take the power of more than one of the stones, it might explain why she is able to control reality as much as she can. The first 2 episodes i found very cheesy but that's the 50's vibe it nails it perfectly including the constant canned laughter i didn't find either episode funny but i'm staying for the weirdness. It's only 9 episodes so it's not like it's going to be some long drawn out shit like lost where it's weird just for the sake of it.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It's only 9 episodes so it's not like it's going to be some long drawn out shit like lost where it's weird just for the sake of it.
These Marvel D+ shows are basically made like 6 hour movies broken into either 30 or 60 min episodes. So they all have a planned ending unlike something like Lost.

Calcium

Banned
So they all have a planned ending unlike something like Lost.

What?! LOST was planned from the begin...haha, couldn't get through that.

I'll probably wait until this is fully released to give it a watch. Not really interested in the show, but it sounds like they are doing something odd so that alone makes it worth trying.

sol_bad

To be honest, the first time I saw Lost I was a bit disappointed with the ending. Two years ago I introduced my wife to the show and we binged the shit out of it and I (and my wife) balled our eyes out at the final episode. I now consider Lost to have a perfect ending, it's amazing.

Fbh

First episode was Ok I guess though if the whole season is like this I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

One thing I'll say is that I'm enjoying this trend of slightly shorter 25-40 minute shows. This, The Mandalorian, Cobra Kai, etc.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I watched a very interesting theory vid on youtube that Wanda is actually like a living version of the infinity gauntlet as her abilities seem to take the power of more than one of the stones, it might explain why she is able to control reality as much as she can. The first 2 episodes i found very cheesy but that's the 50's vibe it nails it perfectly including the constant canned laughter i didn't find either episode funny but i'm staying for the weirdness. It's only 9 episodes so it's not like it's going to be some long drawn out shit like lost where it's weird just for the sake of it.
In the comics she has broken reality before. She also went psycho and got rid of most of the mutants on the planet with a thought ("No more mutants"). Wanda is uber powerful.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
To be honest, the first time I saw Lost I was a bit disappointed with the ending. Two years ago I introduced my wife to the show and we binged the shit out of it and I (and my wife) balled our eyes out at the final episode. I now consider Lost to have a perfect ending, it's amazing.
People had insanely high standards in regards to this show. I’m not sure what they were expecting the ending to be.

I thought it was well done. I didn’t like the sideways universe thing that just dragged things out. I’d much rather the last season be shorter and have more punch to it but it’s still the best drama ever produced on tv.

Top Bottom