• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Actually Do Need Pro Consoles Again

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only thing they can do is new cpu/gpu and it’s already very good. Everything else is top of the line.
So pro not gonna do much. Not at 200watts, not for 500$.
It makes no sense. Pro fighters should get a pc if they want unoptimisable mess.
These consoles are wrongly used by devs as budget pcs which they are not. That is not a call for pro

Last edited:

Puscifer

Final Fantasy has to have started development as a PS4 title. (I think in fact it was).

There’s still haven’t been any game being developed from the ground up for PS5 (or Series X).

I hate that people think that 60fps 4K is everything in gaming. It is not! You are the minority. The 98% rest of us don’t need a pro console.

Also, just look around! Console prices went up (a first ever), stock is barely recovering, games are still cross-gen three years in! Why would there be a PRO console?

This is the worst generation ever because it hasn’t had any evolution. It’s like it’s stuck in its first year (blame covid, development times and live service game fixation for that).
I mean you aren't wrong. Even Demon's Souls was supposed to be cross-gen and as much as I love Returnal let's be honest, the only thing separating it from a PS4 title is the ray tracing. I still have the opinion that unless you really want to play the 2-3 actually exclusive games on PS5 and you own a pro there's no reason to upgrade.

Puscifer

When you see something like Ryse and The Order: 1886 working on 2013 hardware (that was already old) you know we don't need pro consoles. We need more competent devs.
Those games look like what they are outside of screenshots, launch titles.

Last edited:

SScorpio

My concern would how much better a GPU could they put in with the power envelope available. We're not that far into the new gen. Can AMD bring significant RT improvements or is it really only nvidia?

Seems like bloated software looking back how fast and how high the res was for running comparable games not that long ago. We had PC versions running games at 100-200fps and now suddenly we have very poor PC ports and console games running at very low res and 30fps.
I agree 100%, AMD's hardware can't compete when it comes to Raytracing even with the latest 7000 series cards. Intel's ARC are actually more competitive, though still well below what Nvidia is doing.

If you stick with raster, AMD butts head with Nvidia. But consoles are now seeing what PC gamers went through with the RTX 2000 series. Oh, raytracing makes games run like crap and isn't worth it.

With older techniques you can pull off great-looking games. But it's a lot of work as we can see from how long development times have ballooned. With raytracing, you can have natural-looking light and amazing looking games with less dev working on tweaking things.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would just ask anyone who thinks we need a $600, $700, $800, whatever new console to consooooooom, if they are bothered by the "900p" because they think it actually looks bad or because they watched the DF video and think that number is too low. Because the whole point of FSR/DLSS is to render at subnative and still retain high IQ. As I mentioned before, DLSS is not just operating at a subnative res but also generating fake frames, and it works fine enough that people with high-end GPUs use it in every game. I'd also add that the high-end GPU I am talking about costs $1600, even at $800 for a console what type of gains are we looking at? The differences are not even going to be as much as the jump from PS4 to PS4 Pro. You'll get a higher base resolution but FSR will still be used, raytracing will still be minimal, etc.

These are consoles, they're not meant to be high-end boxes that push everything in super fancy ways. I really think that console gamers are losing the plot here on expecting these consoles to do high-end PC stuff, especially as the gap between console price and high-end PC has exploded the past five years. But I also recognize that it's partly of the console makers' own doing, in that they push this stuff in their marketing.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Because it will not achieve what many hope it will(4k,60 fps). In addition, it would be more expensive than ps4 pro and xbox one x this time. So the small group of people who are willing to buy something like this would be reduced again.
Infamous 4k60 always depends on the game, u can easily run tetris even in 16k 240fps(powerwise) on them, so what if game looks like it looks.
The better looking the game, the more demanding it is, especially if we arent talking about corridor shooters/racing/fighter games, but open world ones, those usually squeeze off all the juices from both console cpu and gpu.

Moses85

Pro of a Pro

Montage Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The only thing they can do is new cpu/gpu and it’s already very good. Everything else is top of the line.
So pro not gonna do much. Not at 200watts, not for 500$.
It makes no sense. Pro fighters should get a pc if they want unoptimisable mess.
These consoles are wrongly used by devs as budget pcs which they are not. That is not a call for pro
The problem with the get a pc stance is that doesn't help those who want to play PS games at higher resolutions or framerate

I have no issue with a totally optional PS5 Pro

Unknown?

Less than 3 years into this generation of consoles and we’re finally starting to get some more demanding games that aren’t cross gen.

Final Fantasy 16 just came out and it can run as low as 720p or 1080p depending on whether you play in performance or graphics mode. It doesn’t have ray tracing, it doesn’t run at a locked 60 fps in performance mode, and Square Enix is a very competent/experienced game dev who puts plenty of polish on their games.

CyberPunk Phantom Liberty can get down to 900p-1080p based on the new digital foundry video as well.

Before this week I was in the camp that thought PS5 felt more like a PS4 Pro Pro and that it was barely getting to stretch its legs, but if we’re back to 1080p and below in 2023 (not even including ray tracing) then I think it’s clear that we do need a mid gen refresh again this generation.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else’s mind been changed this week?
According to Phil the Series X IS their Pro console.

The issue is the expectation for games to keep looking better and better right away to justify the new console leap in power. In the past there were things that couldn’t be done with the old system right away. But if you look at a launch PS2 game compared to an end of life release, the difference is very noticeable.

Really what needs to happen is for optimization on the current dev kit to continue. We are losing some of the hardware specific optimizations due to the way games are developed, which favors higher level abstractions to make porting easier. That shows up as a cost to performance and visual fidelity.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No, we don't. We need devs who aren't incompetent when it comes to optimization, ESPECIALLY when it comes to games that don't look any better visually than PS4 games.

Looking at you FF16.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I think the industry has a lot of gamers chasing a never-ending pursuit over specs instead of talent, artistry, and game design. Sure, specs are important, but 4K60FPS won't save a bad game.

Honestly just get a PC if you need the latest and greatest. If you are patient enough, you have access to both PS and Xbox libraries.

I won't tell people how to spend their money, but I think there are more important things to fix with the current gen games we have now like interactivity and just having new experiences in general. 30 FPS has mostly been a thing with "next gen" games. PS4/Xbox One only games last generation also had games sub-1080P and ran at 30 FPS. Next it will be 120 FPS or best and then 8K or bust. Graphic cards are getting more and more expensive. Just feels like a waste.

Crayon

I intend to wring out my 500 dollar PS5 till it's last breath. I very very rarely have replaced a working console with a new model. Pro console doesn't hurt me and I might even go for it if I was without a PS5 and had to choose. If I'm going to upgrade, it's because I'm seeing some serious shit from the new one. Last go round was just a resolution bump tho.

SHA

No , we don't, the elite will make each console uniquely stupid and lose its purpose, the s at the bottom and will serve no purpose, the elite simply won't add more polygons and will receive limited support with ultra rare special cases and it all depends on companies budget which is against what consumers really want from this console, the x will be the new 30 fps console and graphical improvements will measure up based on that frame rate, Sony, on the other hand will stick two gpus together for vr performance boost, it won't benefit from the frame boost for the original version of each game, long story short, PC is the best platform for that and doesn't add extra cost to benefit from your hardware.

I don't get why anyone would argue against another option, it's not going to harm the base PS5 that'll still be the console the game is optimized the most for but for people who are able to pay more and would like something that performs a bit better but don't want to go the gaming PC route it's a great option. If you don't want one you don't have to buy one.

There are games that already look a bit blurry, there are times you can tell FF16 is clearly running at a lower resolution and being upscaled, what harm does it do if people can play that game with a higher res and more stable framerate if they can afford to buy a machine that'll do it?

leo-j

Kinda crazy how games like ratchet and horizon 2 exist….. especially ratchet at native 4k 40 FPS with RT….. game looks a gen better than most ps5 games nowadays.

Hoddi

I mean... anyone who bought a GTX1080ti in 2017 still has a mostly more powerful GPU than either console...

MSRP in 2017 $699
Yer, I bought my 9900k + 2080 Ti back in 2018 and still see no reason to upgrade. Console generations tend to last 6-7 years so it's already getting fairly close to that.

Chances are that it could last me until the next console generation releases in 2027/2028 if I wanted to. I'm more likely to upgrade due to system failure than anything else at this point.

reforen

Dudes from DF are now analyzing games from a Youtube video, have they played Phantom Liberty? Also as some guys mentioned some games are being rushed and as Todd Howard said "it just works"

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You know what's going to happen. Developers are going to shove in even more graphical bells and whistles, more pointless RT and crazy particle and lighting effects, all with piss-poor optimization and you'll still get a game that runs at 30fps. Just a prettier, shinier 30fps.
Pretty much.

Games involve a lot of key factors that make a great game: visuals, audio, gameplay, physics, polish, maps and modes, online features etc....

If there's two things that seem be be law when it comes to companies focusing their attention on and promoting their game.

1. Visuals will always be focused on and marketed first. With the usual loud promo video where the key dragon boss or demon dude does a giant growl at the end, Most of the trailers have limited or zero actual gameplay, and when it does have real content it's often edited cuts of in-engine cut scenes or pieced together in a way that isn't even representative of playing the game

2. Gameplay and polish will always be talked about last or not at all

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
well the hope would be IMO that developers being forced to support the base consoles (which would also have the bigger market share), would result in Pro versions running way smoother.

that is one reason why I like the Series S. as long as the Series S exists, third party Devs need to at least try a bit to not overdo it.

it just sucks that Sony doesn't have their own low power system. because if they did games as a whole would most likely run way better on both systems.

The devs will then need to scale back on their game to run on these weaker consoles. Which yeah, most likely means the pro version will run them at locked 60, but then that's the same as running last gen games which have been patched to run at 4k60 on ps5, e.g tshushima, gow 2018.

You gain performance but lose on bells and whistles.

Top Bottom