• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your personal GOTY contenders so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun: Hong Kong

I think those are the only serious contenders. Witcher 3, Ori, Age of Decadence, and Cities: Skylines come after that.

DukeBobby

Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are currently neck and neck. The Old Hunters expansion might give Bloodborne the edge though, depending on how good it is.

Until Dawn, Undertale and Life is Strange currently round off the top five. Fallout 4 might earn a spot, but it's looking unlikely so far, despite the fact that I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more now.

Begaria

Bloodborne with Witcher 3 as runner up. Bloodborne's combat is just too good and it was jarring coming off that kind of gameplay to that rather mediocre combat system in The Witcher. Don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 was a great game to explore and experience the quests/story, but god damn...that combat. Yeesh. Serviceable at best.

Samus4145

Bloodborne, Rocket League, The Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, Axiom Verge, and Helldivers are my top five right now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I expected nothing to top Bloodborne, and definitely not a game like Until Dawn... but it did. It really is my goty and the biggest surprise of 2015 at the same time. BB is second, then Woolly World. Still very interested in Axiom Verge, Life is Strange and Ori. Have to look into this Undertale thing as well.

RK9039

Witcher 3 is already my favourite game this year, there's just not a lot to complain about unlike other big games this year.

Bloodborne comes close though, but I think I just prefer Souls more.

Life Is Strange - Unique take on subject that Telltale has done to death already, but that surpasses them in every way.

Undertale - Sequel to Earthbound in spirit, but with unique twist. Great story, great design, great music.

Metal Gear Solid 5 - Hands down the best gameplay in a 3D videogame there is.

Grand Theft Auto V (PC) - GTA format, better than ever.

Hotline Miami 2 - Screw the haters: 2 took number ones skeleton and made it bigger, better and more awesome.

Witcher 3 - Awesome game, but grinding the side missions killed it for me. Taking a breather before going for the DLC after completing the main one 100%

Pillars Of Eternity - Maybe the first time playing a game of it's genre and I loved it.

Other nominees: Zombi PC (Superb game, bad technical problems), Arkham Knight (PC problems that were too much, but great story), Only played 1 hour of Fallout 4 so far.

Haven't played yet:

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ok this thread got me askin:

1) is Undertale a game you can play once to understand? i don't want to read much about it before i play, but i think i remember hearing it's one of those 'play multiple times to get' games like 999

2) i played the first 2 Witcher games a bit, and read 1 of the books but never finished either game and don't remember much - is there a good youtube movie that condenses the story?

Witcher 3 captured the magic that got me into gaming in the first place, so it is my #1 for game of the year.

Undertale is a very close second. Played that game without knowing anything before hand and was blown away.

Fallout 4 is next, because that whole world to explore will keep my occupied for a long time, and the game is a lot of fun.

Wondering how just cause 3 will fit into all of this, since that is the last game I am really looking forward to this year, GOTY contender wise.

Roni

Gold Member
Dying Light: was a good game and definitely an early contender, but 2015 was too great a year.

GTAV: If we're talking PC, this game should be there.

Arkham Knight: Solid entry in the series with the best FreeFlow and Predator gameplay the series has ever seen. Poor bosses, side quests and PC launch probably remove it from the 1st spot.

The Witcher 3: great fantasy RPG with much improved combat over previous entries, large world, lots of quests, a story that took me over 100 hours to complete and really intricate gameplay at the harder difficulty levels.

Phantom Pain: not only the best gameplay the series has ever had, but also the best creativity-driven gameplay that has ever graced a AAA game I have ever played, a much more intricate, down-to-earth plot compared to previous entries.

Fallout 4: the sequel to one of the best games from last gen. This one's got it all in one degree or another: stealth, social, hacking and combat gameplay. Open, dense world with lots of scenarios for the player to interact with a revamped crafting system.

My favorite, thus far, is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. But Fallout 4 deserves it too.

W Hudson

1) Bloodborne - Easily my favorite video game experience of the year. Maybe the best level design I've ever seen in a game.

2) Fallout 4

3) Witcher 3

sja_626

Witcher 3
Arkham Knight
Bloodborne
Talos Principle Deluxe (probably doesn't count since it hit PC last year)
MGSV
Halo 5

For me it's between The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Life is Strange.

All three are among my all time favorite games already and I'm sure nothing can touch them this year.

Happy to see so much Rocket League love in here, definitely my GOTY so far. Bloodborne is close behind, and I just started Fallout last night and I'm hoping that'll be the one to round out my top 3.

Just an amazing year for games in general though.

BouncyFrag

Witcher 3 and maybe Fallout 4 but I only just started it. If there are dlc awards to go out TW3's Heart of Stone is a no brainer. The Crew Wild Run could be a sleeper GOTY for me want with its enhanced graphics and gameplay. It looks like a blast.

Tigress

Well Fallout 4 is my GOTY (it wasn't hard, all they had to do was give me more fallout). Sure it has issues but I expected to have issues with it. It still is more Fallout and just the whole loot and build your town/craft items function is making it addictive as is without even the rest of the game.

But, runners up would be Dying Light and Wastelands 2 (apparently I have a high tolerance for badly running games. This thing ran way worse on my PS4 than Fallout has yet. Good thing it's turn based so all the random pauses don't mess me up when I'm trying to do something. And it's sure reminding me to save often).

Honorable Mention goes to Witcher 3. What can I say? it's been a very good year that Witcher 3 got pushed down to that (it was my runner up until those two games I mentioned).

Mad Max was also super good.

MGSV is all alone for me. I haven't played it in like a month, but I still think about it regularly. Such a sweet, tight, excellent game.

Majestad

Banned
ok this thread got me askin:

1) is Undertale a game you can play once to understand? i don't want to read much about it before i play, but i think i remember hearing it's one of those 'play multiple times to get' games like 999

2) i played the first 2 Witcher games a bit, and read 1 of the books but never finished either game and don't remember much - is there a good youtube movie that condenses the story?

Yes, check the retrospective Elder Geek made. Covers the first two games.

Mario Maker is hands down the best thing that's come out this year

However, I'm hesitant to call it a game as such, although there are pack in levels.

Other things I really enjoyed were Splatoon, Technobabylon, Dropsy

Caveats - Haven't had time to play WItcher 3 or TITS:SC yet, and I haven't bought a PS4 yet so I've never properly tried Bloodborne.

Moff

I alredy know my GOTY is Witcher 3, definitely.
Will also be a game of the generation candidate.

Anth0ny

between MGSV and Bloodborne to me.

splatoon runner up

haven't played witcher yet but it doesn't look like my kind of game.

Here's my anticipated top five.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - I'm only a few hours in, but this is a genuinely amazing sequel. Square Enix has fully realized the potential of this reboot, creating an adventure that is visually, mentally, and thematically engaging at a top level.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - While it lacks many of the charms of past MGS titles, The Phantom Pain just may supercede them all in terms of pure gameplay. It's sharp, dense, and gives you so many options to play with.

Rocket League - No other videogame has ever sold me on the very concept of sporting, like Rocket League. It controls so well, and leads so many thrilling organic moments. Simple gameplay done perfectly.

Super Mario Maker - Level editing games always fall into the same traps, either lacking the complexity to breed interesting content - or drowning players in too many moving variables. Nintendo hit the magic balance with Mario Maker, utalizing nostalgia as a prerequisite for creative understanding. It's led to some brilliant levels, better than what I've seen in most dedicated platformers.

Ori & The Blind Forest - It's a visually thrilling, emotional game that doubles as one of the best Metroidvanias in years.

I still need to play Undertale, Life is Strange, Falllout 4, Just Cause 3, and a few others before I make a definitive call though.

Bumhead

Banned
I think I've enjoyed Forza 6 more than any other game this year.

Also, even though I'm not sure if it will count in the GAF vote, but Resident Evil Remake re-release.

Would have been MGSV if I only cared about gameplay but I didn't think I'll ever make peace with that games absolutely wank story and ending.

Fallout 4 may be in contention but it's just short at the moment.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Bloodborne
Rocket League

perhaps Divinity Original Sin EE or Pillars of Eternity joins to form the top 3, but i'm far from finishing either of those. Great games. Bloodborne is an absolute lock for GOTY though.

The Witcher 3 just really took a nosedive in terms of enjoyment halfway through the game. Probably will never finish it, it just completely bores me to death whenever I pick up the controller.

CLEEK

Bloodborne. Most beautifully crafted, consistent and all round phenomenal game in many a year.

In close second and third:

Destiny. House of Wolves fixed many issues and made me fall in love with the game again. Taken King knocked it out of the park.

Rocket League. Greatest 'pure' arcade game this gen, and still an active, fun and competitive community.

Can I rename the thread to What the hell is Undertale and also Bloodborne vs Witcher 3?

I need to play Witcher 3 (I bought the damn thing on release day and never played it) and Undertale too apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom