• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your personal GOTY contenders so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shion

#1. Life Is Strange
- Axiom Verge
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Pillars of Eternity
- Undertale

I haven't jumped into current gen consoles yet, though, so no Bloodborne, Witcher III, MGS5 and Fallout 4 for me yet.

Hmmm, I may be missing a few games here and there but this is my list:

Witcher 3 - Big AAA of the Year

Tales from the Borderlands - Best Storyline

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - Best Bang for Your Buck

Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls - I Just Liked This One A Lot

My personal list is Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Undertale, Mario Maker, and MGSV. Not sure on the order outside of Witcher 3 being #1, still have plenty of games to work through as well!

Undertale is the very clear best game I played this year so far. I know it's going to get a lot of people playing it next year claiming it's "overhyped", but I don't care. Game is brilliant, entertaining, heartwarming, charming, and has an incredible soundtrack.

I also loved Splatoon and enjoy a lot of Subterfuge.

We'll see what the final call is but that's how I feel right now.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Out of all the excellent releases this year for me the award definitely and without question goes to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

The gripes I have with MH4U as so minor and so irrelevant to 99% of the experience I can hardly even call them gripes. The game is just absolutely incredible and dumping over 500 hours into it was just such a blast, especially playing online with friends.

As of today, it's Halo 5: Guardians. I thought the campaign was good, and the MP is probably my favorite so far this gen. This is the game I've wake up early to play before work.

But, I'm also playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and have a strong feeling that will sit right next to Halo. I've also yet to play Fallout 4, I hope to be able to put some time in closer to New Years, but based on the streams I've watched and how much I liked 3 and NV, I'm pretty sure it's one I'll enjoy. I have a feeling those 3 games (in no particular order as of now) will round out my top 3 for 2015.

I've seen lots of mentions of Witcher 3 - After 25 hours I stopped playing with no desire to go back. Fun for awhile, but I got bored. Liked W2 better.

Games I see being mentioned that I've yet to play or won't play this year:
Batman Arkham Knight (AC was a let down, likely won't purchase for awhile)
Bloodborne (No PS4, not a fan of Souls gameplay)
Rocket League (No PS4)
MGSV (Enjoyed GZ, but if I ever do pick it up, it won't be for awhile)
Ori (would still like to, but not the biggest fan of Metroidvania style games, may get next year)
Star Wars Battlefront (Beta was fun, no desire to purchase or play again)
Call of Duty BO3 (Beta was ok, watched streams of campaign, won't be purchasing)

Ekai

Undertale- far and away the best

Read Only Memories-hella cute and fun, still need to finish it.

Tembo The Badass Elephant- the cutest most badass action platformer-esque game this year.

D4- this and Tembo are switched up for me. Would probs be above Tembo if Season 2 came out this year still.

Life is Strange- was tied with Undertale and then Episode 5 came out and
invalidated all my choices with both ending paths. Thanks for going full Tell-tale Dontnod when up til this point you proved you could write games with consequences. Though to be fair the bits with David in 5 were easily the highlight of the episode and damn near one of the best parts in the game period.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Put perfectly. I haven't played Ocarina of Time so my first Zelda experience was with Twilight Princess and that game was an incredible experience for me. The Witcher 3 has many of things that I loved about it (horse, big world to explore, sword combat) and even more (amazing quests, biggest open world I've ever played, incredible foliage/graphics, etc.).

The Witcher 3 is not only game of the year and not only the game of the generation, it is the greatest game of all time.

I am vomiting a little bit in my mouth over here. Carry on!

Cleve

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

I think those are the only serious contenders. Witcher 3, Ori, Age of Decadence, and Cities: Skylines come after that.

Is hong kong really that good? I only played the first of the modern shadowrun games and felt it was incredibly shallow in narrative and depth. It felt more like a proof of concept than a full game. I love the p&p setting and would love if anything captured some of that magic for me.

I've been pimping Undertale in the past two years as my most anticipated title on GAF, so my expectations were high. Glad to see it meet and exceed them. It's been a game that is hard to get out of my head, and seeing it touch so many of my friends also warms my tiny icy heart. Definitely claimed my top spot for the time being, though the year isn't over yet.

Other titles that endeared me this year were:
- Crypt of the Necrodancer
- D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (I should note that I did not finish this, and lost interest shortly after reaching Skellige. I had a good time with it, but took a break to play Undertale and now I can't be arsed to pick it back up again.)

Auctopus

Though I posted my list a couple pages back, I cannot emphasise how superb The Witcher 3 is. It's head and shoulders above No. 2: Bloodborne. And I loved that!

Fallout 4 is going to end up there even though I am only six hours or so in.

Fallout 4
Rocket League
Bloodborne
Yoshi Wooly World (only a few hours into this, but it's headed that way for me)

All I can think of right now. I've had more fun with games that I have replayed or that I haven't played before from past gens than stuff from this year,

BashNasty

It's been a great year so far. Currently on my list (in no particular order)

Bloodborne
Rocket league
Splatoon
MGSV

And it's looking like Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are gonna be up there as well.

Durante

Is hong kong really that good? I only played the first of the modern shadowrun games and felt it was incredibly shallow in narrative and depth. I love the p&p setting and would love if anything captured some of that magic for me.
Dragonfall DC was a huge upgrade over Returns in every aspect, and Hong Kong keeps up that level (with some further gameplay improvements).

Witcher 3 is easily my favourite game this generation so far, so that is my GOTY. Bloodborne would be second, but it was still brilliant.

I also had a huge amount of fun playing Sunless Sea

kamspy

1.Witcher 3
2.GTA 5 (PC only guy here)
3.Fallout 4
4.MGS V
5.Dark Souls II SotFS (^)

MGS5 would be number 1 if it was finished. Such a weird game to rate. Could be a 10/10, but it's just not complete.

Definitely Witcher 3. As a relatively new father I haven't had much time for gaming this year, but Witcher 3 stands out to me not just as a good title for 2015, but one of the all-time greats.

Splatoon.

Never in my life have I been so completely addicted to any online multiplayer game. The game has tight controls, and a really creative approach to content release that has kept me around better than any other system has before.

JCX

Splatoon and Rocket League - year of multiplayer. Xenoblade X could shake things up though.

Edit: Forgot about Undertale, need to play more of it.

Arion

I pretty much have my top 10 list done.

1. Bloodborne
2. MGSV
3. Witcher 3
4. MH4U
5. Fallout 4
6. Rocket League
7. Arkham Knight
8. Axiom Verge

still have to play Until Dawn, Soma, Galak-Z and Transformers Devastation. This year has been so damn good. It's no 1998 but it's up there.

Paertan

Rocket League
I love it! I am in no way great at it but it is still a fantastic game.

Vermintide
A bit early to say but it has a ton of potential

Wasteland 2
Haven't finished it. But it is like the real Fallout 3.

Killing Floor 2 is a runner up as well but that is just early access. It is a improvement over Killing Floor 1 in many ways. When done it will probably become one of my most played games ever.

But I haven't played a couple of games I think could challenge the first place like Witcher 3, Undertale and Fallout 4.

dreams

This is actually one of the years where i had time to sit down and play new games, and it's been a great year.

My GOTY is undeniably Undertale. It's been a while since a game has pulled me in so hard. It's charming, great music, great characters, and it gets to you on an emotional level.

Life Is Strange would be up there, but I found the latter two episodes to be lacking.

I have most of the GOTY contenders many have mentioned in this thread and I've completed none of them. I guess since I haven't made it far into Fallout 4, GTA V(PC version)is my GOTY. Bloodborne is cool but it doesn't offer the same amount of content/ value for money as stuff like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and GTA V. If I could complete them all before year end(but I won't lol), it would probably look something like this:

1. Fallout 4
2. GTA V
3. Witcher 3
4. MGS V
5. Mad Max
6. Dying Light
7. The Last of Us(PS4) I just got around to playing this game in July. I beat it a couple of times, but enjoy the Uncharted series much more. It's a nice try from Naughty Dog
8. Bloodborne

GametimeUK

Metal Gear has straight up beasted it. Easy pick from me. Bloodborne puts up a great effort for the 2nd spot and the Witcher comes in 3rd. There have been a few more great games that I have played and I'd like to shout out both Destiny for changing things for the better and Black Ops 3 for helping enjoy a CoD game for the first time in years. I never even bought the last 2. Great year.

Bloodborne is one of the best games I have ever played...so that is without a doubt my GoTY.

Witcher 3 is second. It has one of the best open worlds.

Metal Gear Solid V is a close third. Despite it's shortcomings the gameplay is incredibly well done.

Honorable mentions are Rocket League and The Taken King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom