• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your personal GOTY contenders so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MavFan619

Banned
Bloodborne still tops the list for me at the moment, I'm also loving Fallout 4 lately. MGSV is in a weird place for me where I played and enjoyed many hours of it but it also heavily disappointed me. Witcher 3 I got to the cold land and I was pretty much over it already did not enjoy combat enough in that game to care anymore.

Bloodborne by far. Really dug the atmosphere and mechanics. Level design stayed pretty great throughout as well so that's a plus.

Nothing else really comes close. I love Steins;Gate, Mushihimesama, and Under Night In-birth but they're only really new to western countries so I don't count them the same.

Splatoon easily of what I've played from this year so far, but I still haven't played Bloodborne, Life is Strange, Rocket League, Fallout 4 (just got a PS4 yesterday), or Xenoblade Chronicles X.

jacobeid

Banned
The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Rocket League, and Fallout 4 are on the short list.

Arkham Knight and Axiom Verge are both in the running for most disappointing game of 2015.

Aeana

Witcher 3 and Undertale are my favorite games this year. I'll just leave it there instead of trying to agonize over which gets the top spot.

Interfectum

GAME OF THE YEAR:
Witcher 3

The battle for second:
Bloodborne
Rocket League
Fallout 4 (?)

The battle for honorable mention:
SOMA
Cities: Skylines
Until Dawn
Undertale

Biggest Disappointment:
MGS5

Euron

Right now I'm torn between Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, nothing else comes close. I know I'll enjoy Fallout 4 but it won't compare. Had a great time with Rocket League as well.

Halo 5 has the potential to be the best shooter this gen but it has a severe lack of content at the moment. It probably won't be the game I want it to be until next spring.

MGSV is probably my most disappointing game so far. It has the best open world gameplay this gen but it's so repetitive, I really dislike the level design, and the obvious things like the lack of story and the cut content hurt it as well.

Bloodborne
Splatoon

I have a feeling The Witcher 3 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be on my list but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Until Dawn.

Bought but still will play before end of year: Wasteland 2 & Divinity: Original Sin & SOMA.

I guess I gotta get Undertale too.

1. Undertale
  2. The Beginner's Guide
  3. Super Mario Maker
  4. Transformers Devastation
  5. Metal Gear Solid V
  6. DmC: Definitive Edition (I don't remember the remaster rules for GAF main GotY threads)
  7. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (I don't remember the remaster rules for GAF main GotY threads)
  8. Mortal Kombat X
Pretty good year, almost able to fill out a whole top ten.

Bloodborne
Witcher 3

--------------------
Arkham Knight
Phantom Pain

--------------------

I'll need to finish episodes 3, 4, and 5 of Tales Borderlands to see if it makes the list in any place. In case it doesn't, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture will take the place in the third row.

So far, it's between Bloodborne, Witcher 3 or MGS V. There are some games that I haven't had a chance to play yet that may be put on that list, such as Until Dawn, Transformers Devastation and Dragon Quest Heroes.

Super Mario Maker
Bloodborne
Splatoon

Still need to play Witcher, and MGSV used to be on the list but is now out altogether.

rje

My top 5 for the year is probably:

Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Mario Maker, Monster Hunter 4U, Cities Skyline

I'm enjoying Fallout 4 but I'm not sure I'd put it over any of those games.

Honorable mentions:
Axiom Verge, Beginner's Guide, Assault Android Cactus, Transformers, Yokai Watch, LBX

The Witcher 3 by a mile.

Runner ups in no particular order are Bloodborne, Halo 5, Batman, and from the dozen hours I've put into Fallout 4, Fallout 4 heh.

Bloodborne. In terms of mechanics, level design, presentation, lore and lack of all those things that annoy me in so many AAA games (fetch quests, hand holding, tutorialisation, tons of cut scenes, pointless collectibles and so on) it has no equal.

And The Old Hunters isn't even out yet.

j-wood

1. The Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Halo 5
4. Metal Gear Solid 5
5. Destiny: TTK

That's my top 5 right now. Just starting Fallout 4, so that could end up on this list.

Also, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 could end up on this list.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
in terms of playtime: Rocket League for sure.

yeah, ill go with rocket league.
runner up bloodborne

Cleve

top contenders: witcher 3, mgs 5

honorary mentions: fallout 4(really need to spend more time on this), tomb raider(ditto), bloodborne, axiom verge, also divinity original sin and wasteland if you count those as this year

Witcher 3.

• Most content.
  • Most Support.
  • Best Value for money.
  • Finally got the gear to play it on max.
  • MGSV hurt me.
  • Tetris DS came out 9 years ago.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bloodborne and Rocket League stand taller than anything else this year. Cities: Skylines also has a spot in the top league. I've heard really good things about: Undertale and Axiom Verge that I believe to be true.

zsynqx

Bloodborne
LiS
Until Dawn
Black Ops 3 (Multiplayer)

Played the demo of Undertale and definitely see the appeal. Hilarious and charming. Need to get around to playing the full version.

I have no idea what my frontrunner is but I do know that the battle to avoid falling into honourable mentions (or just off the whole list) is going to be tough this year.

Femto.

Bloodborne.

MGSV was disappointing from a narrative perspective, but it gets a win in my book for gameplay.

I haven't played any of the other GOTY contenders though, like The Witcher 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom