• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think will be the better/bigger RPG game of 2023, FFXVI or Starfield?

Which will be the bigger RPG of 2023?

• Final Fantasy XVI will sell more but Starfield will review better

• Starfield will sell more but Final Fantasy XVI will review better

• Starfield will review better and sell better

• Final Fantasy XVI will review better and sell better

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeepSpace5D

I think it’s going to be very close commercially. Bethesda RPGs probably average higher sales historically if I were to take a guess, but PlayStation consoles made up a pretty significant portion of Fallout 4 sales iirc, so dropping that platform + being on Gamepass is naturally going to affect the sales numbers for Starfield.

FFXVI will be console exclusive at launch, but it may even make its way over to Xbox eventually. Both games will be on PC. The longterm sales of both games will be interesting.

Laptop1991

Truthfully i don't know, i chose Starfield because i am biased and a fan of Bethesda games minus 76 and have never played a Final Fantasy, they will both do well in reality, and hopefully better than the games that have come out this year so far.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bigger obviously starfield.

Better? Hard to say, combat, graphics\performances, characters and plot MAYBE ff16, everything else starfield.

The past games from both studios are some shitty stinkers (f76 and ff15) so for me it is pretty hard to have big consideration for both titles until they show some prolonged uncutted gameplay.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who cares when Dragon's Dogma 2 is in development. :messenger_sunglasses:

And about those two games... honestly don't know, way I see it both have chances of both being cool and sucking ass.

Starfield will sell more. I'll probably buy it instead of gamepass since it'll be cheaper in the longrun.

Starfield will be the better RPG. FF16 will be better overall

Braag

I feel like starfield will sell more and attract a lot of people to gamepass.
However these are very different from one another. People who generally like JRPGs aren't huge fans of western RPGs and vice versa. There are people who like both but I see more people who belong into one of these groups.

Haggard

Banned
They will both be "meh" but SC will sell more because Bethesda is just very good at hyping up even utter mediocrity or straight up garbage *cough* FO76 *coughh*

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's a different situation now. A lot of Xbox sales won't happen because of Gamepass. And Playstation won't be getting the game at all.
Final Fantasy XVI is only launching on a single platform, it doesnt even have the benefit of Steam going for it.

A PC version hasnt even been announced yet, if we assume its a years exclusivity then the game will launch on PC probably Epic Games Store in Q3/4 2024.......by then Starfield will be over a year old and will have a mod that makes Final Fantasy XVI playable from the holodeck.
Yeah there will be alot more PS5s in the wild by then so they have that going for them.

Ironically considering Square sold its Montreal opperations because it was tired of their games cannibalizing each other, I think Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is actually gonna steal Final Fantasy XVIs thunder as people are more hype for 7 Rebirth than they are for XVI and they are launching pretty close to each other.

Forza Horizon 5 even though it was on Gamepass was a best seller on both Xbox and Steam.

Starfield has "hype" going for it and of course its bethesda game, jank and all people love them and love to tinker with them.
We will be hearing about Starfield for years to come as new interesting mods keep showing up.
The first major expansion for Starfield will almost certainly have the game back towards the top of the Steam charts.

Has Final Fantasy 7 Remake even broken 15 million units yet over all its SKUs?
I can bet XVI isnt going to beat 7Remake and I expect Starfield to best both in sales gamepass or not.

NahaNago

No idea on this one. I would say starfield but that will be on gamepass. I expect that starfield will definitely be be the bigger and more rpg like game. I don't know if it will be better though. Sales-wise for starfield not being on playstation will hurt it a lot but FF16 skipping xbox nowhere near as much. With that said I will most likely buy FF16 even though I have no hype and barely any interest for the game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
covered.jpg

Starfield will sell better? Being day one on Gamepass?
Easy.

Sea of Thieves is on Game Pss but still SOLD over 5m copies on Steam alone in just over a year.

Rykan

Yes, Starfield will sell better if we're talking strictly total sales/playernumbers. It's releasing on two platforms and it's also going to be available on Gamepass. Final Fantasy XVI only be available on PS5 for a good while and it might hit PC much later.

With that said, people are seriously underestimating Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XIV has pushed the franchise back into the forefront of gaming. It's one of the few MMORPGS that continues to grow 10 years after its release, and estimates puts it anywhere between 1.6 million and 3 active million subscribers. It's quite possibly the single biggest MMORPG on the market right now.

The same studio is currently working on Final Fantasy XVI. If it reaches metacritic scores of 90+, it could approach sales of a Bethesda game, relative to the install base the game appears on.

Go_Ly_Dow

Simply two different games for two different audiences.

FF = focused cinematic narrative experience which guides you through a world is mostly a controlled way with freedom in between.
Bethesda games = open narrative, free to go where you want etc...

It's pretty clear Western outlets favour Bethesda games. So it'll review better and sell better as it has mass appeal. But I'll probably enjoy FFXVI much more as I play games for a focused narrative experience which dive into the stories of characters etc.. and enjoy the memorable soundtracks. Tried my best to enjoy Bethesda games in the past, but I tend to reach a point of burn out.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
That was a different Bethesda. Most lost faith in them after Fallout 76.

How is that a different Bethesda? Todd Howard wasn't the director of Fallout 76, Jeff Gardiner was. People always seems to miss this point. His last game was Fallout 4.

He was only attached to FO76 in name as an executive producer in the same way Speilberg automatically gets attached to future franchise films due to previous involvement in said franchise.

All major games by Todd Howard as Director/Project lead:

2002- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (89 MC)
2008- Fallout 3 (MC 91)
2011- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (96 MC)
2015- Fallout 4 (87 MC)
2023- Starfield (? MC)
TBA- The Elder Scrolls VI (? MC)
TBA- Fallout 5 (? MC)

Didn't include all the expansions etc as it would be pointless. Really, anything he's in charge of turns into gold & I expect the same w/ Starfield.

Skifi28

Gold Member
I expect both of them to be meh. Surely there has to be a better RPG next year. At least I hope so.

How is that a different Bethesda? Todd Howard wasn't the director of Fallout 76, Jeff Gardiner was. People always seems to miss this point. His last game was Fallout 4.

He was only attached to FO76 in name as an executive producer in the same way Speilberg automatically gets attached to future franchise films due to previous involvement in said franchise.

All major games by Todd Howard as Director/Project lead:

2002- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (89 MC)
2008- Fallout 3 (MC 91)
2011- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (96 MC)
2015- Fallout 4 (87 MC)
2023- Starfield (? MC)
TBA- The Elder Scrolls VI (? MC)
TBA- Fallout 5 (? MC)

Didn't include all the expansions etc as it would be pointless. Really, anything he's in charge of turns into gold & I expect the same w/ Starfield.
Elder scrolls 4 in 06 as well

octiny

Banned
Imdb has him as director, additional writing, voice of some minor character, and EP

Ah, okay.

I couldn't find him on the official staff credit listings at the end of Oblivion, outside of being an Executive Producer. Oddly enough, no position of project lead/director is even listed in the official credits for the game.

Regardless, only strengthens his position as a god-tier game director if so.

Edit: Upon checking his IMDB, there's lots of errors on there. Like listing him as Director of Fallout 76 😂 etc. Jeff Gardiner was the director.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yes? both games are RPGs
JRPGs aren't RPGs. Almost the same genre name yeah, but gameplay wise they are completely different things.

Starfield vs FFXVI is a weird as fuck comparison imo.

Metnut

All the procedurally generated stuff in Starfield doesn’t really interest me and Bethesda games rarely launch in good shape. I’ll probably check out Starfield in late 2024 if it reviews well. Gunplay loooed awful in the trailer too.

Day one on FF16 though. Yoshi is the man and Square Enix is on fire lately.

Zathalus

I voted Starfield but I'm sure both are going to be great and take up the majority of my gaming time next year, along with Baldurs Gate 3.

Black_Stride

FFXVI will be console exclusive at launch, but it may even make its way over to Xbox eventually. Both games will be on PC. The longterm sales of both games will be interesting.
Final Fantasy XVI doesnt have a PC version even announced.
While we may say its a forgone conclusion that it will release on PC, i dont think its as clearcut.
With every other title they have atleast said a PC version will come out eventually but with FFXVI they arent even acknowledging that PC is a platform.

This may.....may be a true exclusive.

Hell I wouldnt be shocked if The Last of Us Part 1 comes out on PC before Final Fantasy XVI comes out on PC.
JRPGs aren't RPGs. Almost the same genre name yeah, but gameplay wise they are completely different things.

Starfield vs FFXVI is a weird as fuck comparison imo.

JRPGs arent RPGs?

eE0on5Z.jpg

DeepSpace5D

Final Fantasy XVI doesnt have a PC version even announced.
While we may say its a forgone conclusion that it will release on PC, i dont think its as clearcut.
With every other title they have atleast said a PC version will come out eventually but with FFXVI they arent even acknowledging that PC is a platform.

This may.....may be a true exclusive.

Hell I wouldnt be shocked if The Last of Us Part 1 comes out on PC before Final Fantasy XVI comes out on PC.
I believe a PC version was announced in the reveal trailer, but it hasn’t been spoken of since. Probably due to marketing rights with Sony I would guess. Or maybe it was just an error.

Black_Stride

I believe a PC version was announced in the reveal trailer, but it hasn’t been spoken of since. Probably due to marketing rights with Sony I would guess. Or maybe it was just an error.
The reveal trailer said PS5 and PC.
But that very trailer when uploaded to official channels doesnt mention PC at all.

Every subsequent trailer hasnt mentioned a PC version either.

yazenov

Quick someone make an avatar bet thread for Starfield Vs. FF16 review scores.

For sales it will be difficult to conclude the winner since MS hides numbers.

TintoConCasera

JRPGs arent RPGs?
Always had a hard time putting games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy right next to others like Fallout or Deus Ex.

I say this basically because you can't roleplay in JRPGs, as most of what you do is follow a linear story while doing battles, while in games like Fallout or Deus Ex you can roleplay, making different characters with different traits or personality and overcoming challenges in different ways. Like for example your character can be stealthy, or maybe very strong, or maybe very charismatic... And those traits will alter the gameplay. There's nothing like that in JRPGs, at least in those I have played.

And Rykan Rykan , no, it doesn't have anything to do with D&D or tabletop stuff.

DaGwaphics

It's a different situation now. A lot of Xbox sales won't happen because of Gamepass. And Playstation won't be getting the game at all.

Bethesda games are typically huge on PC, I can't see this one being any different. With the way the market is today they might get more pre-orders than ffxvi lifetime sales. Depends on the hype they can generate once they have a firm release date.

Black_Stride

Always had a hard time putting games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy right next to others like Fallout or Deus Ex.

I say this basically because you can't roleplay in JRPGs, as most of what you do is follow a linear story while doing battles, while in games like Fallout or Deus Ex you can roleplay, making different characters with different traits or personality and overcoming challenges in different ways. Like for example your character can be stealthy, or maybe very strong, or maybe very charismatic... And those traits will alter the gameplay. There's nothing like that in JRPGs, at least in those I have played.

And Rykan Rykan , no, it doesn't have anything to do with D&D or tabletop stuff.
Does The Witcher count as an RPG?

Starfield is more appealing to me personally, I think it will likely sell better too being on both PC and Xbox. With mods, even if the game itself is a bit shit, the community will make it shine.

TintoConCasera

Does The Witcher count as an RPG?
Well... It barely has any RPG mechanics and you are stuck being the witcher Geralt who already has a set personality and abilities.

Also IIRC there weren't much build options aside from developing more your sword skills, magic or alchemy, all three being focused on one thing: combat.

So in the end the player agency when it comes to roleplaying comes only to chosing one dialog option over another, so... For me, imho, it's either not an RPG or maybe just a very shallow one when it comes to actual roleplaying.

Top Bottom