• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game(s) have you tried your hardest to enjoy?

Hostile_18

Banned
So its common sense that not every game is for everyone. One mans love is another mans hate. But every so ofton a game comes along that on paper sounds perfect for you but try as you might it just doesn't click.

So rather than give just a few minutes what games have you given a fair bit of time to in an attempt to like it and how has that turned out?

Red Dead Redemption 2 👍
I played about 5 hours and gave up everything was just too slow. I did eventually try again and after about 10 hours i really got into its pace. I think once you know who every member of your camp is it really becomes a better game.

Fallout 3 👍
I'm honestly not sure why i didn't it enjoy it at first, maybe I just got distracted by other games. But upon starting a new game a few months later i loved it. I'm hoping the same will happen with Fallout 4 because my first go on that was a similar experience. The base building and getting the really good armour straight away completely put me off.

Sekiro 👎
I love From Software games, all of them up till Sekiro. I'm not crazy about the Japanese setting or that it was mainly based on parrying, which I'm not keen on. Ive tried on 3 separate occassions around 5 hours each to enjoy the gameplay but because of the difficulty (for me) I just simply wasn't having fun.

Hitman 2 👎
I LOVE the level design, I LOVE sandbox levels. Ive played about 10 plus hours so far and while its... ok, I find myself asking how much fun im actually having compared to other games. I think perhaps because to me it is maybe because its more an elaborate puzzle game than a third person stealth/action game.

Ps please don't take it personally if someone doesn't like your favorite game of all time in this thread. As mentioned no game is enjoyed universally, no matter how technically or objectively "good" it is.

Mr Hyde

Shadow of the Colossus.

Bought it first on PS2 because I loved Ico. Loved the concept, the art direction and gameplay mechanics, but had a hard time appreciate it, due to the camera and controls.

Bought it again on PS3, this time in a remastered version. Still loved the concept, the art direction and gameplay mechanics, but had a hard time appreciate it, due to the camera and controls.

Bought it again on PS4, this time in a remaked version from the ground up. Still loving the concept, the art direction and gameplay mechanics, but had a hard time appreciate it, DUE TO THE FUCKING CAMERA AND CONTROLS!!

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
First Red Dead Redemption for me. Bought it at launch, played 5 or hours, decided I didn't like it and sold it a few days later.

The thing is Alan Wake came out around the same time, and I loved that game so much! It was hard to go from a finely crafted linear experience to a super slow paced open world experience. I eventually picked it back up a few months after that and came to really enjoy it.

I just didn't play it at the "right time". For me... I have to be ready to invest my time into something to really enjoy it.

hard_boiled

Neophyte
Mordhau, HOI4, CKII, & EU4. I couldn't get into Mordhau because I'm terrible at it & no amount of practice seems to fix that. HOI4, CKII, & EU4 I generally found boring & way too involved. I don't enjoy games that require 5-10 hours for a "match". When I played with friends none of them wanted to save & pickup later. Everyone was content to play until 3, 4, sometimes 10am after starting a game the evening or night before.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll give it a try again, but Darkest Dungeon.

It has all the tools to be such as awesome game, BUT one thing holds it back.

The game forces you to cycle through different characters. You pick 4 characters across tons to hire, but the game forces you to be always hiring and cycling through them since after each dungeon your characters will be classified as tired, cursed, insane etc..... so you have to let them rest.

You then round out your party with other characters.

Terrible game mechanic I've never seen in any other RPG kind of game. If the game wants to make gamers cycle through classes by making certain monsters incredibly tough for some classes making you hire mercenaries for a few dungeons before going back to your fav 4 people that's fine.

But they force you to do this all the time.

Gave up after a weekend. Waste of $25.

If you're someone like me who likes to stick with the same group of characters through out quests in RPGs, you'll hate the game.

Last edited:

Rheon

The Witcher 3.

I bought it in 2015, tried to get into it several times until one day early last year when it finally clicked for me.

Now it's one of my favourite games ever.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Fable - I love action RPGs, especially ones in fantasy worlds. I was unable to find much of anything to like about Fable, from its tiny maps, to boring gameplay or fart joke humor. I still hold out hope for the new Fable, assuming it is a complete reboot.

Hostile_18

Banned
Speaking of money I bet that's a big incentive. Anyone thats bought a super deluxe edition with season pass and not enjoyed the game has (I imagine) put in far more hours than they should have before they gave up.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 7 remake. As I said in another thread, it’s all just so padded, inconsequential and unimportant story wise. Combat’s fun, but I’m really struggling to maintain interest. The original is one of my favourite games, so I’m sticking with it, but... ugh.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Speaking of money I bet that's a big incentive. Anyone thats bought a super deluxe edition with season pass and not enjoyed the game has (I imagine) put in far more hours than they should have before they gave up.

Look here, just because I got that 200 dollar Ni No Kuni 2 collectors editors for 25 bucks at Gamestop doesn't mean a thing I swear.

Good ass game though, I just wish I had time for it.

BloodBorne

The whole world keeps telling me it's PS4's best exclusive but every time I play it I wonder what the hell people are smoking,

Took me 4 years but when I decided to give it another chance last year and really learned the mechanics I blazed through it and the DLC in a few months.

Final Fantasy 7 remake. As I said in another thread, it’s all just so padded, inconsequential and unimportant story wise. Combat’s fun, but I’m really struggling to maintain interest. The original is one of my favourite games, so I’m sticking with it, but... ugh.

It's the first of a 3 part act they may never even finish so I don't blame you

Last edited:

Esca

What comes to mind it's Sekiro. I love From games, but having thr combat based on parrying killed it for me. I suck at parrying, I brute forced my entire way through jedi fallen order and never even got the simple parry 15 enemies lol. Im doing better with parrying with ghost of tsushama. But yeah tight timing windows aren't my strong suit in games anymore. Find fighting games more difficult but still enjoyable

turtlepowa

Banned
The Last of Us.

Tried about three times last gen, then one time this gen. Still can't slog through to the end. Just get bored.

It was my first lesson in not falling for hype. So it sticks in my mind.
Same here. Tried it several times a couple of hours, because everybody keeps saying how great it is. Never got into it, it just bores me.

Wizz-Art

First Red Dead Redemption for me. Bought it at launch, played 5 or hours, decided I didn't like it and sold it a few days later.

The thing is Alan Wake came out around the same time, and I loved that game so much! It was hard to go from a finely crafted linear experience to a super slow paced open world experience. I eventually picked it back up a few months after that and came to really enjoy it.

I just didn't play it at the "right time". For me... I have to be ready to invest my time into something to really enjoy it.

Are you me? That was my experience to the T, also played and enjoyed Alan Wake much much more and had a go with RDR a couple of weeks later and came to enjoy it.

I tried to love The Last of Us, and the begining of the game was promising but then it went to a borefest and took all of my enjoyment away. I also didn't love the first Uncharted. The second was gladly much better. The first Assassins Creed was boring too. That's at the top of my head of games I tried to really like but couldn't.

Hostile_18

Banned
Oblivion is another one for me. I loved Morrowind and had such high hopes for the sequel. I hated the way the green grass was so blurry like one meter out from your character at launch. Every location from what I can remember felt kind of samey. I played it quite a bit, but that was more on the back it was Elder Scrolls rather than on its own merits.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Definitive Bioshock saga....

The art for me is horrible... at least in Bioshock 1, the characters... the mechanics... i dont know... only because im a Gamer that i want play every title... but is too boring.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Here's another good reason as well. What if the latest entry in a franchise is amazing but your the type of gamer than has to play through the older and considerable worse titles first!? ;)

I did that recently with Devil May Cry 2 and to alot lesser extent Devil May Cry 1.

Neff

I've tried probably about a dozen times to like Majora's Mask, without success. I got furthest with the 3DS version, which was about halfway, but these days I've simply accepted the fact that I just fucking hate the game. And I say this as someone who considers Zelda a top three gaming series.

I have many success stories- Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, MGS2, Kingdom Hearts, Dead Space and The Last of Us were all games I initially disliked at release but came to appreciate years later. I don't think Majora's Mask is ever gonna happen though.

None, there are too many games I haven't played to concern myself with trying to like a game that doesn't catch me after an hour or so. I'll also drop a game the second my interest wanes.

For me it's ff viii! I've been playing this game for a while now, at first I liked it and I was excited to keep playing it, but later I started getting bored! now I'm almost at the end of disk 3 and I just want to finish it! I don't feel any enjoyment while playing it!
not sure if I feel this because I'm depressed! but there's something very boring about this game!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For me it's MSGV, RDR2 and UC4. All 3 were boring as hell to me. I actually managed to get all the way through UC4 and RDR2 but I didn't like either one of them.

I can't believe I made it all the way through RDR2 it is Loooong game. I think it was the horses that kept me in the game, they were awesome and after I captured the white Arabian I wasn't about to give up. UC4 wasn't that long and kept hoping it would get good. I gave up on MGSV less than halfway through, it was too boring and repetitious.

Hostile_18

Banned
None, there are too many games I haven't played to concern myself with trying to like a game that doesn't catch me after an hour or so. I'll also drop a game the second my interest wanes.

I'm normally like yourself if i don't like a game. It all averages out 2 hours wasted on a game i didn't like vs say 200 on something like the Witcher 3. So on average I get great value for money.

Its just on occasion i do give a game more of a chance than I should if say a) Ive paid alot of money b) I love the subject matter c) I've enjoyed games from that company before d) my opinion is very misaligned with the forum posters here.

Its usually about 50/50 whether that gamble pays off or not.

It all comes down to what I want to do, how I'm feeling and stuff.

The only times I go back to a game I left is when I got a recommendation from people I trust and have the same interests as (not you GAF).

Orta

Banned
Half Life 1 - bought it years after it released. Played stuff like FEAR, Far Cry, etc before it so it never really had a chance. Was ancient and just so dull in comparison and I'm a gamer who doesn't give a toss about storylines so that didn't hook me either. Oh well....

Mario 64 - can't explain this one. I just never liked it. Bought an n64 for it, done numerous play-throughs, just didn't click with me. Bought the DS re-release, no change. Played a bit of the recent PC version, I'm still utterly cold to it.

HE1NZ

Banned
MGS series. I marathoned it and the first really enjoyable one was 4. 5 was really good. But 1 was so bad I couldn't believe it.

I sometime launch another classic Final Fantasy to check if I enjoy it this time. But I can't really get into it.

Banned
Nier Automata.

I really wanted to get through it for the supposedly great story but the padding killed me.

Nier 1 too and that one was probably even worse.

as someone who loved Nier 1 to death, Automata was so bad that I almost stopped at 3 different occasions... one of the biggest disappointments of this console gen for me... absolute garbagefire that game. they even somehow made the fighting system less enjoyable, sure it looks more flashy and has more combos, but it added absolutely zero depth and the special abilities (many of which were basically copied over from the first game) felt infinitely worse in the second game, because now their direction was based on where the character looked and not the camera like it was in Nier 1.

also the boss fights were way worse somehow. and the story and characters also came nowhere close to Nier 1

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
PUBG, Apex Legends, CoD Warzone

The gameplay loop gives me anxiety. Plus I'm a scrub. It's all my friends ever wanna play though.

I'd probably prefer Fortnite like a weirdo, I'm sure.

hyperbertha

Nier:Automata. A dysfunctional healing system that makes it way too easy no matter the difficulty, story that takes forever to pick up (and eventually disappoints due to tell not show imo), and boss fights reused to the umpteenth time. And lets not forget how they basically make you go through the whole game twice to get to the most decent part. It did everything it could to make me hate it, and that music was its one real saving grace.

Breakage

The original Monster Hunter on PS2.
I tried again with the PSP version before realising I just couldn't get into it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Hmm. First that comes to mind is Persona 4 Golden. It was just super slow to get going and it kind of convinced me it was less a game than it was.

However i will go back to it.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. PC release. What isn't to love about this game? Highly rated on PS3 so it's a hipster's hero; features Joe Hisaishi music, Ghibli animation~ i tried so hard, but it was just too kiddy and lightweight.

idrago01

Banned
Probably dark souls remastered, I beat dark souls 3 and all the dlc multiple times but could only play 5 hrs of DS remastered due to the slow and clunky control

Read Dead Redemption 2:
This game is weird. If i feel for something slow and atmospheric then i play this. But i never play it for too long then i get bored.
It's probably the tanky controls. Game is also visually stunning.

Horizon Zero Dawn:
Was hyped as all hell when this released and i bought it not long after.
Never been back to it since then. Force myself to install it and try it again but i just don't get that far.

Grand Theft Auto V:
Tried my hardest to finish this but the game is just a graphical mess even on my PS4 Pro.
Jaggies everywhere, horrible textures, no 4K mode.
Will try to ignore the above technical issues but just can't see passed it considering every other game in my library is atleast hitting 1440p.

Then again i have 100+ games in my library so yeah i don't finish much of them LOL

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

TLOU. I usually enjoy games where there's a lots of exploration, hoarding resources, sneaky action, and a good narrative. I don't know what it is though, frankly I just find it so damn boring. I've probably have gone back to it three times but it never keeps me engaged for longer than one sitting. I would say this is not the norm for Sony's first-party output. I have a PS4 just to play their games and generally always enjoy the fuck out of them. Off-topic, I just got around to finally playing horizon Dawn. Shit is dope

Also dark souls games. I enjoyed some of their spin-offs with similar combat like that new Star wars game but damn, you have to get gooood in souls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom