• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game(s) have you tried your hardest to enjoy?

Banned
PUBG, Apex Legends, CoD Warzone

The gameplay loop gives me anxiety. Plus I'm a scrub. It's all my friends ever wanna play though.

I'd probably prefer Fortnite like a weirdo, I'm sure.

believe me, if you don't want to play hours each day and if you don't want to learn all the building techs out there, then Fortnite will be anxiety overkill if even Apex gives you anxiety.
Fortnite is all about bein fast at building upwards, editing builds in order to surprise your enemy and knowing what to build when and fast... it's fuckin crazy if you reach a certain level.

Apex in comparison is super relaxing to me xD

GlockSaint

Bloodborne, god knows I've tried never found it compelling enough to continue, go to an area get lost, eventually die rinse and repeat till you know the map and fight the enemies loop felt like huge time sink where i wasn't really having fun.

The witcher 3, the game seems perfect for me but because of the backlog i always think of whether I'm ready to spend 100+ on a single game.

GtaV, god what does anyone see in this shitty game, the characters are bland, the ciry is bland, the missions are bland. Is it because you drive random cars and kill pedestrians? I spent about 10 hours on it because my friend kept insisting that it will get 'better' but it never did.

Woggleman

Bloodborne. Not bad but not the masterpiece people make it out to be. It feels like a PS1 game which is probably the appeal to some people.

Sign

I’ve played the first 20 hours of The Witcher 3 something like 4 times trying to get into it. No luck so far.

jadefire66

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I tried it 2 or 3 times and never got past the first few hours (Prague). Basically, the graphics and lighting are absolutely terrible for the year it came out and it's also very poorly optimized, then the gameplay is just more of the same from Human Revolution but Prague is just designed like shit. It's hard to figure out where to go for each quest based on the useless confusing map and the pointless subway system that takes you to a different part of the city via long loading screens (why couldn't everything be on the same map like Detroit in HR?). I didn't even understand what the story is about, nor was there anything interesting about it anyway. Overall it felt like a soulless cashgrab.

Last edited:

Umbral

Far Cry 2, without a doubt. I tried so damn hard to love that game and I kind of do, but not for the game itself, but what it was trying to do with all its systems and diegetic UI.

Most games click with me enough in some way to finish them. Far Cry 2 is one of the few that I abandoned.

Stuart360

Some Japanese games. Mainly weeb stuff like Persona, and games like Yakuza. I have tried but they are just too cringy and weird.

manfestival

Was just having this conversation with friends.

Black Desert Online - I have given this game so many tries because I REALLY want to like it but it never hooks me.
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night - I just can't. I keep trying but... I cannot.
Alpha Protocol - I have attempted to play this game like 6 times. I always seem to magically stop at the same point and not touch it again till my next install.
Battletech - I love xcom games but this game... I was so hype and ready to play it but I lost all desire after 6 hours. I want to boot it up again but then I give up on the idea.
Persona 5 - My biggest disappointment of all. The intro was so long and I REALLY REALLY want to play it but after about 5-6 hours I haven't bothered with the game again.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Majora's Mask. I tried and tried to understand why people thought this game was amazing, I tried to find the brilliance in each design decision that I reflexively judged as a flaw. I bought it on N64, I bought it again on 3DS.

It's just not for me.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Halo Combat Evolved but I think it was more my expectations from reading about it when it was in development

Bloodbourne. can't do it.

Ive done all the souls games and even have the special edition Demons souls but nope, doesn't click with me.

Gamerguy84

I tried hard to like GTA 4,5, and RDR2. Something about R* games. I think Im just done with them. Last one I liked was a PS2 game called Smugglers Run.

jakinov

The Last of Us as well for me. Thought story was okay. Combat felt hardly to control and worse than Uncharted. The stealth mechanics were boring Puzzles were horrible. I enjoyed Last of Us 2 a lot more.

Aion002

Kingdom Hearts 3! I bought it last year, I still didn't finish the Hercules "stage", I want to play it, I don't hate it... I just don't know why but I always end up uninterested.

Maybe one day the game is gonna click with me and I will finish it.

And Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I played 30 hours, I don't think I completed more than 30% of the main story and I bought the Gold edition so I have all the DLC, but I just can't play it anymore, it's too repetitive, the world is boring, travelling is boring, the story and characters are uninteresting and the gameplay is fine but the leveling system and the sponge enemies are atrocious... Damn I might hate this game, just thinking about it makes me kinda mad.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

The Witcher 3 on PC with mouse and keyboard, i like everything about the game, except the combat, i just don't like it, i can't play hundred's of hours fighting like that, i've tried a few times and i stop playing as i'm not enjoying it, and i don't use controllers, i haven't since the 90's.

I've tried several sessions RDR2 but enjoyed none of them. People told me to play until you get your camp because 'it gets better after the snowy opening level'

It didn't. Five hours wasted.

Wunray

TLOU the story is pretty great but the game itself is so very boring, same thing with UC123, 4 is the best cause story and game play are really good.

I tried really hard to like Monster hunter world.
I love mass effect but adromena killed me no matter how much I played.
I always try zelda games but never end up likeing them. Most nintendo games are like that actually. After Final fantasy 9 I really haven't liked any FF game. Im trying 12 right now

april6e

Path of Exile - The character building and variety is there but nothing else feels good to play. In Diablo 3, even as an ARPG newbie, you actually feel your character growing stronger even if you build poorly, the campaign is enjoyable and it has modern graphics/enjoyable combat. In POE, character building is Final Fantasy X on steroids and after 10 hours of playing, I don't feel any stronger or different than I was when I started. I've tried getting into the game like 4 times now and always quit after around 5 hours.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Probably Hollow Knight. I'm a huge sucker for Metroidvania games and that game got showered with praise. I played it for 4 hours and I found it kinda boring, overly difficult, confusing and the gameplay not all that great. I eventually deleted it.

I kept hearing the praise for it and installed it again. I played it another 2 hours and realized why I stopped in the first place and deleted it again. A few months later, I decided to give it a serious effort and I ended up loving it. It's a reaaaaally slow burn and has a steep learning curve but once you get going and especially once you unlock the travel warps, it gets addicting. I wasn't a huge fan of the weak ending since it was such a long and difficult game but the journey was well worth it.

MarkMe2525

Hollow Knight. Everything I read about this game was wrong.

I wanted to drop it after 2 hours, but I was told it picks up at 5 hours, then 10 hours, then 20 hours. I stopped listening after 20 hours and moved on.
Agree... Boring exploration. I couldn't get past hour 3

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I've given this game a chance, I really tried to like it, but it's just... boring and not very interesting gameplay-wise. Symphony of the Night is infinitely better imho.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Halo 4 - I tried big time but it wasn't great. Lasted about 4 months and then it was over with

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Played it and beat it but I can't remember a single star at all. Very easy, a bore fest

Cutty Flam

Banned
RE4. Everyone else seems to love it, yet I don't really like it at all. Couldn't even make it out of the beginning village. For whatever reason, I just dont like the way the aiming in the game feels.
You should be able to change it with all the touch ups they've done since, I would think. If that's as far as you've gotten and that's the only reason then I'm here to tell you: get back in the game before I slam a pie in Reverend Jesse Jackson's face boy

NinjaBoiX

The Witcher 3.

I bought it in 2015, tried to get into it several times until one day early last year when it finally clicked for me.

Now it's one of my favourite games ever.
I hope this happens for me, I REALLY want to play TW3 but my first attempt left me thinking it was cluttered, clumsy and fussy.

alien isolation / mario odyssey

for the former, i just dont get the game design. the environment and visual design is perfect but my god playing the game puts me to sleep.
for odyssey, the sandbox approach never gelled with me since the rewards for doing tricky platforming (as little as there is) were the same as doing the most menial repetitive shit.

Last edited:
For me the big one is DARK SOULS.

Loved Demon's Souls to death, one of my favourite games ever.
Expected more of the same, but got something very different, and not better in my pov.

Bardiche

Final Fantasy VII Remake: I was a fan of the original so I was excited for this. Maybe because it felt like the game was dragged on but I didn't end up finishing the last boss because I was over it at that point.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Being a fan of Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles, I had high expectations for this one. People praise the combat for this game but I couldn't get into it along with the characters. I gave up in Chapter 4.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I had to learn that the key to Breath of the Wild is not caring. Not caring about those weapons you collected, not caring about fighting enemies you don't get anything from anyway.

MGS5- waaaay too much time wasting BS in the game. Just let me be a spy in the camps and do cool stuff. The open world was empty and unnecessary. Also, don't get me started on the base management BS either. Wat too much filler for the actual good stuff

TESO- I guess I just can't get into MMO's. I want an immersive SP experience and seeing other turds jump around and wander kills it for me.

Oh, and Halo 5. FUCK THAT GAME!

Last edited:

Justin9mm

So its common sense that not every game is for everyone. One mans love is another mans hate. But every so ofton a game comes along that on paper sounds perfect for you but try as you might it just doesn't click.

So rather than give just a few minutes what games have you given a fair bit of time to in an attempt to like it and how has that turned out?

Red Dead Redemption 2 👍
I played about 5 hours and gave up everything was just too slow. I did eventually try again and after about 10 hours i really got into its pace. I think once you know who every member of your camp is it really becomes a better game.

Fallout 3 👍
I'm honestly not sure why i didn't it enjoy it at first, maybe I just got distracted by other games. But upon starting a new game a few months later i loved it. I'm hoping the same will happen with Fallout 4 because my first go on that was a similar experience. The base building and getting the really good armour straight away completely put me off.

Sekiro 👎
I love From Software games, all of them up till Sekiro. I'm not crazy about the Japanese setting or that it was mainly based on parrying, which I'm not keen on. Ive tried on 3 separate occassions around 5 hours each to enjoy the gameplay but because of the difficulty (for me) I just simply wasn't having fun.

Hitman 2 👎
I LOVE the level design, I LOVE sandbox levels. Ive played about 10 plus hours so far and while its... ok, I find myself asking how much fun im actually having compared to other games. I think perhaps because to me it is maybe because its more an elaborate puzzle game than a third person stealth/action game.

Ps please don't take it personally if someone doesn't like your favorite game of all time in this thread. As mentioned no game is enjoyed universally, no matter how technically or objectively "good" it is.
Are you my twin? These are also the games I tried so hard to enjoy but ended up dropping.

RDR2 I'm convinced is too convoluted coupled with the clunkiest controls I've ever experienced.

ZywyPL

Banned
Witcher 3. The combat is just so fucking boring it's not even funny, I completely dropped the game after Ciri's segment which was fun and enjoyable, but once it ended and I got back playing as Geralt once again I just turned off the game and never came back.

Roberts

Shadow of the Colossus.

Bought it first on PS2 because I loved Ico. Loved the concept, the art direction and gameplay mechanics, but had a hard time appreciate it, due to the camera and controls.

Bought it again on PS3, this time in a remastered version. Still loved the concept, the art direction and gameplay mechanics, but had a hard time appreciate it, due to the camera and controls.

Bought it again on PS4, this time in a remaked version from the ground up. Still loving the concept, the art direction and gameplay mechanics, but had a hard time appreciate it, DUE TO THE FUCKING CAMERA AND CONTROLS!!

Felt the same way with the PS4 version (never played older versions) at first. Started it, got three colossi down and gave up because of controls. But something made me come back - basically played through the rest in one sitting. You never really get used to controls, but despite that, It's a solid 7/10 game.

Last edited by a moderator:

tylrdiablos

Mass Effect - granted I left it too long, But it didn't grip me in the first few hours, the controls felt janky and I was just... bored.
(Oddly enough, I played dozens of hour of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer horde mode with complete strangers... loved it.)

GymWolf

Lately? The dlc for unchy4, i tried but i'm done with unchy loop and the beginning with the large area where you have to search stuff to open a fucking door killed the pacing and any will to play this brand ever again.

Also yeah hollow knight like other people said.
I just hate the map system and the combat so much, it's jist a boring game to meand i usually love metroidvania.

denisonja

Neo Member
Every Souls like game in the history :).... I really dig the RPG elements, lore, story, everything.... But when those bastards Orstein and Smough killed me for the 100th time or when that basilisk curses me again and again..... Nope, just cant make myself continue.... And have run out of money buying new controllers... :)

Top Bottom