• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game(s) have you tried your hardest to enjoy?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
GTA3. I tried for a whole week. Could never understand what was supposed to be so entertaining about it.

Platinum games. There’s so much coming at you from the first minute, there’s more moves than in a fighting game, and each game expects you to know every move and be able to perform it from the get go. Also screen legibility isn”t exactly Platinum’s forte.

xrnzaaas

Zombi simply because of the game having slow zombies which is a rarity these days. The level design is horrible, the gameplay isn't great and scanning stuff is an unnecessary filler unless you're playing on WiiU and actually enjoy this gimmick. I finished it (again - only because it's a zombie game), but I still think I've wasted my money on it.

I tried liking Bloodborne (and souls games in general) because of the incredible world design, but I noped out of it after a few days. Now I know they're definitely not the kind of games for me.

Last edited:

HBx2000

BioShock Infinite

It didn't click with me, but my friends were constantly saying: Keep playing, it will be fun.
So eventually I even finished it and guess what? I still didn't like it.

For me it had the most annoying sidekick in the world: Elizabeth. Always "helping" you at the wrong time.
Even the story was so basic. Save a kidnapped girl and then rinse and repeat this for three times.

I was constantly shooting at everything and anyone, it felt like Call of Duty to me.
I did like the final battle though, that at least felt like something different.

Civilization 4.

How read how nobody could go to bed how addictive it was playing all night.

when I tried it, could'nt really understand how my inputs were making any difference. it just goes on its own.

Last edited:

ancelotti

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I think nearly everything has already been said about this one. I'm in the midst of finally completing the campaign, and although it improves over a mindbogglingly turgid opening act, the game just kinda sucks as an actual game.

Gears 5 - The open world element adds nothing and feels like it was designed to waste time rather than enhance the experience. The story and characters are completely lifeless, and I'm almost entirely uninterested in what happens next.

Borderlands 3 - I hate every character and piece of dialogue in this game. If I ever complete the main campaign, it'll be with the sound off while listening to my own music. I got this for $20 when Epic did that weird promo, and even then I'm not sure I'll ever get my money out of it.

Battlefield V - It's sad because the core gameplay was actually pretty good until they unbalanced everything. They had a few opportunities to course correct (F2P Firestorm, feature real important battles) but instead doubled-down on trying to attract an audience that never materialized. Finally converted to playing COD around Christmastime and haven't looked back since.

Mista

Banned
Souls/Borne. Love the lore and the setting but unfortunately I don’t have the patience this game requires anymore. If they were released 10-13 years ago I would’ve killed it. But now? No. I do enjoying reading the lore because it is very well made

denisonja

Neo Member
Souls/Borne. Love the lore and the setting but unfortunately I don’t have the patience this game requires anymore. If they were released 10-13 years ago I would’ve killed it. But now? No. I do enjoying reading the lore because it is very well made

I knew im not the only one!!!!!

Spaceman292

Banned
Demons Souls came out 11 years ago. Dark 1 was 9 years ago.

Siri

Banned
Monster Hunter World (on the pc). I went in thinking it was an open world rpg, somewhat like Dragon’s Dogma.. Man was I ever confused. I never did figure out what the game was about. It just didn’t click.

Roberts

Some Japanese games. Mainly weeb stuff like Persona, and games like Yakuza. I have tried but they are just too cringy and weird.

I adore weird. I love modern Japanese oddities directed by Miike, Sono, Nakashima, Nakamura and others, but I simply can't get into these games at all.

G-Bus

Banned
Witcher 3.

So much praise. Think I've downloaded and deleted that game 10 times over the course of a few years. Play for a few days and drop it again. Really just isn't for me

Inuteu

Ghost recon breakpoint

I loved wildlands

but breakpoint even now with customizable AI teamates coming back, didnt got me

Virex

Banned
Sekiro 👎
I love From Software games, all of them up till Sekiro. I'm not crazy about the Japanese setting or that it was mainly based on parrying, which I'm not keen on. Ive tried on 3 separate occassions around 5 hours each to enjoy the gameplay but because of the difficulty (for me) I just simply wasn't having fun.

Ps please don't take it personally if someone doesn't like your favorite game of all time in this thread. As mentioned no game is enjoyed universally, no matter how technically or objectively "good" it is.
Seems like you have never heard of Lord Gito Gudakawa

Last edited:

BlakeofT

Witcher 3 for me. Everything about the game is A+ to me except for the combat, which is unfortunately the most important part to me. Maybe I never got to the point where I really understood the combat to fully enjoy it, but I got pretty far into the story. I think I stopped playing when you set out to Skellige. This attempt was probably my third attempt at trying the game. I intend to return to the game one day, but who knows if that will ever actually happen.

Virex

Banned
Witcher 3 for me. Everything about the game is A+ to me except for the combat, which is unfortunately the most important part to me. Maybe I never got to the point where I really understood the combat to fully enjoy it, but I got pretty far into the story. I think I stopped playing when you set out to Skellige. This attempt was probably my third attempt at trying the game. I intend to return to the game one day, but who knows if that will ever actually happen.
I liked Wild Hunt but Bitch 1 is still my favourite

I'd have to say Dark Souls. Lots of friends recommended it but it just didn't click with me. I don't mind a challenge but there's a fine line between enjoyably difficult and maddening.
For me it’s the fact that you have to redo the exact same section when you die. I’ve failed countless times in XCOM and Darkest Dungeon, but I get to continue and play a new dungeon/level instead. If I had to redo the same level until I got it exactly right I would have dropped those games too.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So its common sense that not every game is for everyone. One mans love is another mans hate. But every so ofton a game comes along that on paper sounds perfect for you but try as you might it just doesn't click.

So rather than give just a few minutes what games have you given a fair bit of time to in an attempt to like it and how has that turned out?

Red Dead Redemption 2 👍
I played about 5 hours and gave up everything was just too slow. I did eventually try again and after about 10 hours i really got into its pace. I think once you know who every member of your camp is it really becomes a better game.

Fallout 3 👍
I'm honestly not sure why i didn't it enjoy it at first, maybe I just got distracted by other games. But upon starting a new game a few months later i loved it. I'm hoping the same will happen with Fallout 4 because my first go on that was a similar experience. The base building and getting the really good armour straight away completely put me off.

Sekiro 👎
I love From Software games, all of them up till Sekiro. I'm not crazy about the Japanese setting or that it was mainly based on parrying, which I'm not keen on. Ive tried on 3 separate occassions around 5 hours each to enjoy the gameplay but because of the difficulty (for me) I just simply wasn't having fun.

Hitman 2 👎
I LOVE the level design, I LOVE sandbox levels. Ive played about 10 plus hours so far and while its... ok, I find myself asking how much fun im actually having compared to other games. I think perhaps because to me it is maybe because its more an elaborate puzzle game than a third person stealth/action game.

Ps please don't take it personally if someone doesn't like your favorite game of all time in this thread. As mentioned no game is enjoyed universally, no matter how technically or objectively "good" it is.
Games that I tried and didn't work for me:

-Resident Evil 7 (my wife played this...and the preview was enough): I liked the recurring members from previous RE games and the new guy just seemed too beta for me. The first-person camera gameplay...why? The whole story had the vibe of a cheap Texas Chainsaw Massacre rip-off. I still remain optimistic for RE-Village, though.

-Please don't lynch me for this...MGS2 (partially dislike). I agree, it's one of the best MGS original stories, gameplay is awesome, the intro with Snake on the ship was cool. Raiden was too beta for me. I like that Metal Gear is full of tough-guy underdogs. Raiden seemed more suitable for a modern harem anime rather than MGS. He was whiney and the "girlfriend" ...ugh! Otherwise, it's still a great game.

-Minecraft...I've never understood this. It always looked to me like some kind of 3D experiment from 1987 that wasn't meant to be popular. Adults playing this? I don't get that either. No offense. Watch the Dire Straits music video "Money for Nothing" and you'll see 3-D characters which resemble Minecraft almost to a T. Mine you, that video came out in like 1986.

Military shooter games...I dislike most of them unless it borders fiction (like Wolfenstein...like those games)

TheMan

Soulsbourne series. I've owned DS1, DS3, Bloodbourne, and I rented DSII at one point as well. Played Demon's souls back in the day and liked it a lot, but afterwards I just couldn't get into the rest of the series. I think what annoys me the most is the save system and having to replay shit over and over, especially dying to a boss. I should l give it up but I want to experience that magic.

Haven't bothered with Sekiro but that's supposed to be the hardest of them all. I'll pick it up at 20 bucks.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

GTA 5

GTA5, I'm over the driving missions and the multiple characters was too annoying for me. I could never find a mission.

God of War reboot. I finished it, but I was gutted at the changes in Kratos. I doubt I'll play a sequel unless I hear that they're returning to the vibe of the old Kratos. And please just let Atreus die, like in the first scene, so Kratos can go ham! :p

The Alien

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn
I was pulled into the story immediately. I thought it had a cool concept and interesting world building. In the early stages I thought I was in store for something truly new and unique.

The more I played it, the more it grew tiresome. I tried powering through these thoughts but realized I was forcing myself to play it. Maybe it was my fault for playing the shit out of AC Odyssey and Uncharted 4 before trying HZD....but goddamn, I couldnt do another "tall grass" and bow game. I also wasn't really a fan of the robo-dinos. I didnt think their designs were cool at all. I also felt detective elements of Batman games in there along with so many copy & paste elements from other, better games.

I know a lot of people love the game...and am psyched for #2, and that cool. Not every game is for everyone...HZD wasnt for me.

I probably shoulda filed this under "Controversial Gaming Opinions".

Anything that is open world/sandbox.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old and have less paitience too but I also think this gen is to this genre what 7th gen was to FPS - An over saturated and uninspired fetish for capatilising on a trend that is dead on arrival. Bloated, vapid open worlds for the purpose of padding and making the player take 3 times as long to reach their destination for the sake of "scope".

Just bored me and turns me off.

As much as I hate to say it, Death Stranding...
Yup, and I'm a huge Kojima fan, this game oozes his flavour in tone but it's a motherfucking chore to play. It makes me want to take a nap. And the micromanagement & complex in game systems just makes me want scream fuck you everytime I'm interuppt to learn about a whole. New mechanics when I can barely remember the last system. So fucking obnoxious. How'd we go from the simplicity of Policienauts and Metal Gear Solid to the role-playing fanning about of TTP & now this fucking dead end job simulator of Death Stranding?

MGS series. I marathoned it and the first really enjoyable one was 4. 5 was really good. But 1 was so bad I couldn't believe it.
MGS is one of those series you had to be there for at the time to truly appreciate it's impact on the industry. It's my favourite series but even I understand it's a tough sell unless your a retro enthusiast & have patience for older games & their controls. If you was young & played MGS1 when it released it'd be one of your favourite & defining life experiences. But even the series kept riding the success & formula of MGS1 to it's deteiment.

Grand theft Auto V:
Tried my hardest to finish this but the game is just a graphical mess even on my PS4 Pro.
Jaggies everywhere, horrible textures, no 4K mode.
Will try to ignore the above technical issues but just can't see passed it considering every other game in my library is atleast hitting 1440p.
I don't blame you. This game was specifically ported from the PS3 to the PS4 for the benefit of the new consoles enhancements but for the sake of a slightly higher resolution & more stable framerate its really far from an enhancement or remaster, especially when you consider how great ever other open world game especially urban ones on PS4 looked after this. From Watch Dogs to Mafia 3.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Xenoblade DE - About 25ish hours in. I'm really enjoying the open environments and lovely OST, the characters are inoffensive (if annoying with the canned fighting lines), but my god the combat is so boring. I don't know if it gets better. but it feels so unfulfilling and milquetoast. I feel like I'm just firing off a round of abilities in the chain and then just waiting on cooldowns while the characters plug away. The game is really bad at explaining how its myriad submenu systems work (still trying to figure out ability coins and cross abilities). The tougher rare spawn mobs go from plow-down easy to stupid hard. I feel like there's no balance here. I'm also not a big fan of the controls and the horizontal ability selection. Or the UI in general.

Maybe I'm engaging the game the wrong way, but as a player fresh to this specific series, I shouldn't have to. It's not so bad I want to drop it, but it's been rough getting into it and I find myself playing other things instead of it.

Mirumi

Neo Member
Guild Wars 2

A lot of my crew is playing it right now. I dedicated probably 30-40 hours trying to play it. Don't get me wrong, I praise the systems, the outfits, the WvW, the balance they do on it. I praise the pathing for the classes, the gear choices and the content. But despite ALL of that, I cannot enjoy the combat at all. It feels clunky and delayed for me. I do not think it is a bad game, just no matter what i tried, what classes or anything, I could NOT find any enjoyment in playing it.
So now my crew plays without me, and I am playing SWTOR for story instead.

Vandole

Kingdom Hearts III. I loved the first two installments. And I waited about a year after it was released before I played it, so I had my expectations very well tempered. I thought I'd be able to enjoy it for what it is.

I was wrong. The game is a nonsensical pile of rainbow-colored crap. I pushed my way until I finally got to the Pirates of the Caribbean world, and I finally tapped out. Not sure I'll ever make it to the end of the game, but if not, I'm more than happy to just consider Kingdom Hearts 2 the end of the story and forget I ever played this mess.

Pejo

Final Fantasy Tactics. I've purchased it at least 4 times and tried to play it in earnest about 10 times throughout my life, but it's so god damn slow and frustrating. I genuinely don't understand how it has such a huge loyal fanbase. The most recent time I tried to play it, I bought it on Android before my flight to Hawaii, to play since it was a few hours flight. I got past the opening and into the game proper, and figured I'd do a few fights to re-acclimate myself with the game and the battle system, maybe grind out a level or two. I ended up getting into a random encounter with 3 Chocobos. I literally fought this fight for 45 mins and ended up just quitting and deleting the game. Every time I was getting close to killing one, the chocobos would retreat with their superior movement and heal each other over and over and over.

Maybe the game gets good after you get a chance to actually build your characters but fuck that bullshit. Never again.

Metal Gear Solid V. I played 30 hours of that shit. Boooooooring. I found the gameplay to be relatively well executed but ultimately uninspired and being dripfed story did not leave me impressed. I didn't finish it, likely never will, glad I got it dirt cheap on sale. And to think that I used to be a Kojima groupie. Well...NO LONGER!

laynelane

I had the same problem with Fallout 3 and 4. Just couldn't get immersed for some reason. At least not right away. It took a few tries but I eventually got into and loved both games. Another game I had trouble getting into was Bloodborne. For that, though, it was a matter of choosing the wrong starting equipment. Once I started a new character and chose a different weapon, I never looked back and it's one of my top games of all time now.

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I really want to love these games. The imaginative worlds, the music, and the exploration are phenomenal and keep drawing me back from time to time. But that combat. It's just so cumbersome trying to remember the mechanics and keep an eye on everything and how the hell do I topple again and is that before or after a break? Arrgh! I'll give up after a while, then eventually come back, try to remember where I left off months ago, get sucked in by the music and the environments, then get in a heavy battle and quit out of frustration again. I play games to relax, and this is just too much like work.

Also Pokemon. I keep buying them, not sure why. I loved Leaf Green and Emerald on the GBA. Since then most have left me uninterested after a couple hours playtime, including Sword/Shield. On the plus side, I thoroughly enjoyed Sun/Moon so once in a while there's something worthwhile to be found. Unpopular opinion I know, but they were a refreshing change to an otherwise stagnant, repetitive formula.

Dibbs

Sadly, Uncharted 4. Sadly because I loved Uncharted 1-3, but 4 was just too damn boring and finishing it felt like a chore. I remember I really hated that jeep sequence. Gonna give it another playthrough soon though.

Camreezie

Soulsborne
Kingdom Hearts
God of War Ps4
Red Dead Redemption 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Breath Of The Wild
Borderlands series

I'm not even kidding , writing that out it does just look like I'm trying to be contrarian but I just cant get into them. I promise I dont hate every game that everyone universally praises.

BioShock Infinite

It didn't click with me, but my friends were constantly saying: Keep playing, it will be fun.
So eventually I even finished it and guess what? I still didn't like it.

For me it had the most annoying sidekick in the world: Elizabeth. Always "helping" you at the wrong time.
Even the story was so basic. Save a kidnapped girl and then rinse and repeat this for three times.

I was constantly shooting at everything and anyone, it felt like Call of Duty to me.
I did like the final battle though, that at least felt like something different.

I wouldn't say Bioshock Infinite is fun but if you're into the story it's kind of more gripping , saying this as someone that played the game on launch day in one sitting and its one of my favourite series.

Saber

Gold Member
Monster Hunter World.

Damn, the game is pretty and I love exploring places, but the combat and mechanics are too clanky. Food instead of a cool and boost mechanic is nothing but a necessity, meaning that if you don't eat you're pretty much screwed. I don't even want to mention grinding in a game that requires 20 minutes or more defeating monsters.

I wish they hadn't such unnecessary mechanics, but its what the game is. I force myself to play and even though I beat the game, it felt like a drag.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
PUBG, Apex Legends, CoD Warzone

The gameplay loop gives me anxiety. Plus I'm a scrub. It's all my friends ever wanna play though.

I'd probably prefer Fortnite like a weirdo, I'm sure.

Exactly this for me, too! This is coming from someone who's put over 2000 hours into Fortnite, and still plays at least every other day. It's just way more fun for me. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Fbh

Monster Hunter, more specifically Monster Hunter Ultimate 3.
Got it on 3DS first and after giving it a good 10-15 hours I just wasn't really enjoying it. Then went and bought it AGAIN for WiiU assuming that maybe playing on the TV with better resolution and 2 analog sticks instead of 1 (which was specially bad for underwater levels) would make me enjoy it more..... nope.

The core combat was fun enough (specially on WiiU) but I found everything else about the game infuriating. Grindy games usually aren't my thing, though there are exceptions, and everything in this game felt like it was designed from the ground up to be as grindy and time consuming as possible.

Last edited:
Gears of war 3,4,5 ... last one is 5 right?
Halo
Rdr2
Witcher 3
Titanfall 1 and 2

Rdr2 I could finish because the first one was amazing, so I had to complete the story.

All others are 50% or less. I will try titanfall 2 again

supernova8

Banned
Witcher 3 - I installed and reinstalled it about 4 times. Played it on PS4 originally and the choppy framerate kinda gave me a headache. Replayed a few months back on my (now decent) PC and it's great. I'm only into the third area but it's awesome. Really glad I persisted.

Pokemon - Really tried to play on my old Nintendo DS but I think I gave up. Too predictable, too simple. Too easy to just level up one pokemon and wipe the floor with everyone regardless of type.

Gran Turismo Sport - I just could not get into it because there's no proper career mode. I just want to start off with a shit car, and keep playing the Sunday Cup to get more money and improve, the same way we did it in GT3 and GT4.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Grand Theft Auto 3 I couldn't get into it on PS2.

The game played so slow I don't think the frame rate was even more than the mid-20s. I borrowed it off a friend, played for a few nights and gave it back.

I know the game has tons of content, but after playing my first batch of games which were games like NFL 2k2, DMC, Gran Turismo 3, TM Black which were all super smooth, GTA3 was like playing a choppy better looking PS1 game.

Top Bottom