• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What If Only Black People Had Superpowers?" - Comic Kickstarter for "BLACK"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain-Africa.png

Hollywood white washing again

Dabanton

I love the idea, but the art is hideous, like really off putting and don't get me started on the the name Kareem Jenkins.

Malyse

Any examples of what the art will look like?

I can link to Khary Randolf's DeviantArt

Is this super hero cosplay then?

latest

giphy.gif

what is this bullshit? doesn't this just endorse segregation? I mean we couldn't do it the other way around so why should this be made? Not that double standards aren't expected at this point.

you really think white people are genetically superior in real life? I wouldn't say that out loud.

It still endorses segregation and double standards imo, but hey I'm also with Morgan Freeman on Black History Month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

I'm not an American I don't feel like I owe black people anything because many white people are racist. For me everyone is equal and nothing justifies double standards.

make a show where white people are genetically superior (e.g. they have super powers, black people do not) and it's racist.

Dude, your username is ironic as all fuck. Like, wow.

Vice

make a show where white people are genetically superior (e.g. they have super powers, black people do not) and it's racist.

Well, possibly. It would depend on how the story is approached. Stories about a race of superman are very old in science fiction. What matters if the approach, using super powers as a way to tell a story about people being feared for being different is very common.

If the story had something interesting to say, or was just entertaining, people would probably be fine with it.

TheDanger

Banned
You seem to be saying you'd be OK with a comic where only black characters happen to be heroes, but not OK with a comic where only black characters are heroes.

I'm not ok with a comic book where part of the story is that black people are genetically superior to white people, just as I wouldn't be ok with a comic book where white race defines superiority.

You seem to be saying you'd be OK with a comic where only black characters happen to be heroes, but not OK with a comic where only black characters are heroes.
To be perfectly fair to TheDanger, I can understand this sentiment. His posts aren't doing him any favors, though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not ok with a comic book where part of the story is that black people are genetically superior to white people, just as I wouldn't be ok with a comic book where white race defines superiority.

If the story is well told I don't think there is a huge issue. It will still make some people uncomfortable no matter how tactful and intelligently its handled but that's on them by that point.

There are tons of stories outside of comics that deal with things such as racial genetic superiority. Hell one of the big theme's of the Dune series is breeding genetic supermen through eugenics and the like and people like the Fremen who have lived on such a harsh and dangerous planet that they've "evolved" to be much tougher, stronger, etc. than the normal human and happen to be Buddhist Muslims.

Zomba13

This sounds interesting.

Wouldn't that also mean there are only black super villains?

Not really. Could have super villains that have their "powers" be from science/tech. Stuff like Iron Man or Lex Luthor where they don't really have powers apart from being rich and really smart.

Man this thread is going places.

On Topic: I think the concept sounds interesting, could turn out to be trash if executed poorly. Will have to look into it later.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
You realize this is the reality we are currently living in? Replace comic book with...the world.

Malyse

I'm not okay with black people having no representation whatsoever in 95% of media.
Capture3.png

Sounds cool that's the diversity in media we should support not swapping genders and races of existing heroes by fake reboots and successors.

Syriel

I'm sure they'll be some token roles for white characters...just like real life comics! Maybe we'll get a character that was born black, does a body swap for a white body and suddenly IS white. We can call that character.... Whyslocke.

Don't you mean Michael Jackson? :p

As for your reference, did Psylocke switch again? Yeah, she was originally white, tho the character has been Japanese since the 90's. At least she was the last time I read comics.

Slayven

It's weird.

Black people don't get served by an industry

They go and make something for themselves and suddenly there is a double standard or blacks just being racist.

They should really teach about Black Wallstreet in schools.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's weird.

They go and make something for themselves and suddenly there is a double standard or blacks just being racist.

We just can't win, man.

The Kree

Banned
Someone brought up Black Panther supporting segregation. Its not really quite the case but aren't the Wakandans isolated from the rest of the world of their own doing and really only care about their own well being? Haven't they sort of segregated the rest of the world from themselves, other black folk not from Wakanda included?

Though maybe segregation isn't the best word but perhaps isolation?

They're an isolationist nation. People from all over the world visit Wakanda, many of them scholars and scientists, politicians rarely, superheros from time to time, villains almost never.

But you don't have to do more than take a cursory glance at real world history to figure out why any African country doing well for itself might not want anything to do with the rest of the world.

oti

Banned
Apology accepted, just be careful with that type of stuff. Like, really careful.

The first time I heard of black face was two or three years ago when it was shown on German tv and some people on twitter said it was racist but the channel defended themselves and then the discussion just went away.

Again, sorry.

The Kree

Banned

We're going to force you to read it anyway. There's nothing you can do to stop it.

Dabanton

Dude seems to have some personal issues with race, or might be a bit naive. Or a combo of both. But not his first time.

He just seems very off key overall. That black friend thread he posted in the context of his posts so far in this one are hilarious.

Malyse

It's weird.

You woke my righteous fury up.

They should also teach about how Seneca Village was destroyed to make the most famous park in the country if not world.

It's weird.

That's how it always is, it's the fake "progressiveism" America loves patting itself on the back for.
  • Marginalize groups of people from media
  • Said people ask for inclusion in media
  • Get panties in a wrinkle about PC or ruining the creative vision and other such nonsense
  • Suggest marginalized groups make their own content.
  • Group makes own content
  • Cue cries about segregation and double standard and if they did it it would be a problem.
  • Insert nonsense about not seeing color/utopia/"we're all equal/human".

Repeat the cycle ad nauseam.

It affects black people the most because Americans want to be Black as in they want to consume everything that is black, but they don't want the black people that come with it. They want us to be seen not heard, which is why these same complaints aren't levied against Asian Americans or Latino Americans who do their own thing.

Vice

It opens up a lot of interesting avenues for story telling though. It's basically been the X-Men's thing for half a century. The people the world fears will be the bigger (wo)men and protect them even if they're feared and hated. The character synopsis on the page sound pretty similar.

There's nothing wrong with using race in fiction to tell an interesting story. The best fiction often tells us something about how the author sees the world.

I'm just saying fiction where the oppressed race is superior doesn't help racism or equality, it only aids segregation, that is my opinion.

Would you mind listing some examples of these works you feel support segregation and don't help with the idea of equality?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They're an isolationist nation. People from all over the world visit Wakanda, many of them scholars and scientists, politicians rarely, superheros from time to time, villains almost never.

But you don't have to do more than take a cursory glace at real world history to figure out why any African country doing well for itself might not want anything to do with the rest of the world.

I never read much of Black Panther really so my knowledge on him and Wakanda isn't great. Was just curious how this was handled in the comics especially knowing Marvel wasn't always the most tactful about race relations.

I have no idea how this comic book will go. Did they always have super powers or did every black person woke up with them suddenly. Are the super powers useful and or world conquering(ie superman levels) or are they really not that strong and is just an reason for them to be discrimated against. What about mixed race individuals; are issues like people trying to have sex with them so their children have super powers going to be discussed?Does this take place in a simlar universe to ours?is their a kryptonite? This could be interesting social commentary or absolutely awful.

If your concerned about increasing segregation, this comic should be the least of your concerns. Its a fucking comic. Oh no! White people get left out of having super powers in a comic book. Its not fair! I wonder how many people that get upset over this voice their concerns over the issues black people face on a daily basis in real life. I'm willing to bet not a whole lot. But you leave white people out of having super powers in a comic and they'll shout at the top of their lungs about the injustice being served. Just my opinion.

Faynwulf

The Main Villain has a German name? As a german I am highly offended. I thought the times where germans could only be portrayed as Villains were long over...

/s

About this Comic: Eh... why not?

Salsa

I wrote like 5 pages of this idea back in film school for a short that never got made

they obviously stole it from MY HARD DRIVE

Concept is super interesting and I might back it later on, but why is there only 1 (white?) female character out of 6? Because they talk about underrepresentation in that video it seems like an oversight not to have e.g. Black female main character(s)? I apologize if I missed something.

Anyway, just an observation and the project has my support.

Good point.

That's how it always is, it's the fake "progressiveism" America loves patting itself on the back for.
  • Marginalize groups of people from media
  • Said people ask for inclusion in media
  • Get panties in a wrinkle about PC or ruining the creative vision and other such nonsense
  • Suggest marginalized groups make their own content.
  • Group makes own content
  • Cue cries about segregation and double standard and if they did it it would be a problem.
  • Insert nonsense about not seeing color/utopia/"we're all equal/human".

Repeat the cycle ad nauseam.

It affects black people the most because Americans want to be Black as in they want to consume everything that is black, but they don't want the black people that come with it. They want us to be seen not heard, which is why these same complaints aren't levied against Asian Americans or Latino Americans who do their own thing.
this is the punchline that gets me

they want dam near everything to do with black culture minus the people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom