• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most fun sport to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Basketball is great. Easy to get a pick up game going, don't need a bunch of equipment or anything, is a petty good work out, etc. I try to play a few times a week at lunch with co-workers.

Also helps that I'm 6-5, which may as well be 7 feet in your average pickup game.

NotBacon

Snowboarding >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

It really is something else flying down a snowy slope at 40+ mph, slashing powder everywhere, foothills and clouds below you for miles and miles.

C4Lukins

It really is something else flying down a snowy slope at 40+ mph, slashing powder everywhere, foothills and clouds below you for miles and miles.

That is like skydiving. Yeah it is super fun, but not a competitive sport.

I'd say Tennis although you need to get over the initial learning curve (at least to the point where you can get a decent rally going). Once you do, it becomes really engaging and fun.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
1v1,2v2:
Badminton - Quick, easy to learn and play. Takes skill and tactics to master
Table tennis - Quick, easy to learn and play. Takes skill and tactics to master

Team games:
Football - Because kicking a ball around is satisfying, strategical and you can take it easier at some points when the ball isn't near you. And I think kicking your frustration on that ball to score a goal is a good way to relieve pressure.
Floorball - Because it's fast and you don't need s shitload of gear like in ice-hockey
Volley ball - Very satisfying when you succeed. Kinda like a team badminton game with a ball. You get regular breaks, there's a nice rotation of players, so everyone can play and being decent doesn't require too much effort.

Edit: and like OP said, Golf and Bowling are great. I love to just sip a beer and bowl. Golf is also great when you manage to make great approaches. Hate putting though.

Juicy Bob

On a personal note, karting. Throwing a kart around a track is more exciting to me than playing any field sport, no matter if I'm alone or with other people.

Basketball by far.

In a close competitive organized game, it's extremely fast, intense, loud, and nothing has the same sense of urgency/fear/pressure at the end of a game. Winning a tournament in high school, coming back from 5 down in the last 5 minutes to win 116-114 is still the best moment of my life.

In a casual pickup game, it's a game anyone can get into, is fun with people of widely varying skill-sets, great players can showboat to a greater extent than any other sport I've seen (I'd say it's a tie with soccer).

Blocked shots, 3 pointers, dunks are some of the best feelings you can have in sport.

The game is athletic, fast, requires a good mixture of speed/strength/technique/skill/intelligence. It does all this while being largely rather safe: you never feel like you're risking your life playing the game, unlike Rugby/American Football. It's amazing for fitness.

Literally the only thing that sucks about the game is how important height is. If you are not >6'0, then good fucking luck going anywhere remotely competitive. I'm very lucky as a 6'3 point guard, but for a lot of people, the game is almost out of reach at higher levels. You look at amazing players like Nate Robinson who have strength, speed, skill, shooting ability, and hustle, yet he still only makes the bench in the NBA. You can make up for a lack of height to some extent, but somebody that is 5'5 is going to find it nearly impossible to stop someone that's 6'0+.

Runners up: Tennis, Rugby (sans injuries), Soccer, Handball.

spons

Gold Member
Badminton is fun and simple to pick up but takes a while to master. I've played many matches, not on any particular level, mostly just to spent my time in a better way than behind a screen all day.

masud

Banned
For me its basketball. It's the perfect mix of skill athleticism and creativity. I've spent countless hours of my life playing recreationally. Never felt the need to play any other sports outside of an organized setting.

217194-bubble-football-the-game-can-be-brought-to-your-nearest-sport-hall.jpg

Bubble football is a lot of fun!

Paertan

Snowboarding is awesome =) Freshly fallen untouched snow is the best. What I miss most about moving to the south of Sweden from "north".

Alx

I'm partial to volley-ball, the regular 6 Vs 6 version.
It's a team sport where you have to work as a team (no "I'm better than everybody" asshole who'll try to win the game on his own), and everybody is in the action at all time, even if it is only for blocking parts of the field (that should be true for all team sports, but sadly not always the case in other sports even with high level teams).
Also you're always close to your teammates so it's easier for cheering and joking. :)

brau

OP.... for fast paced soccer you gotta play Indoor Soccer.

Unlimited changes of players, smaller space and the use of a wall. With lots of running all the time. Great stuff.

Shadybiz

Boxing is fun with proper safety equipment.
Golf...you can be decent one day and terrible the next, so it's a great challenge.
Skiing is great, but I rarely get to go, because it's such a hike from where I live.
Oh yeah Paintball too. That one's a pain though. It's tough to get a group going, it's expensive, and people won't show up a lot of the time, due to reasons.

Tawpgun

Ultimate frisbee is so damn fun.

I'd also put tackle football on there. You can play 2 hand or flag of you want but tackle with friends is the best and it's super easy to pick up and play.

Ezalc

Table tennis, tennis, badminton, volleyball, football, handegg, dodgeball, four square, and kart racing. Basketball is meh and baseball is just a bore.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Basketball and soccer. Easy to pick up and play. Very good exercise.

Motorcycle track days can be intense but costs and locations are limiting.

During school I tried three sports, hockey, football (soccer), tennis.

I enjoyed football (soccer) the most. I broke my wrist though when playing and never played again.

Typhares

Everyone mentioning tennis or badminton but has not tried squash should give it go.
I used to play table tennis and badminton and still love those sports but squash took the crown. So satisfying to hit that rubber ball against a wall!

for me, basketball, but that's because I play basketball. Basketball is also one of the few sports that you can basically play with anywhere from 1 - 10 people and still have a good game. It's very adaptable, and even when a contest would be a mismatch, there are other games like Horse, Around the World, Knockout, and so on, that you can play. It's also one of the few games that you can practice most elements of the game without another person and just the basic equipment.

Used to love playing two hand touch football as a kid... We'd have a big game every weekend and it was awesome.

What I always found fascinating about touch football as a kid was how kids from all over the US generally played with the same rules, yet there wasn't some official rules thing or anything, everybody just kinda figured it out from an older brother, friend, classmate, etc.

1) Two receptions = first down
2) Defense only gets 1 blitz every set of downs
3) 5 mississippis before you can rush (or 7 sometimes)
4) You have to audibly say "BLITZ" before you run in for the blitz.

When I first started watching and understanding real football, I remember asking my dad like... "Can they blitz on every play? Isn't that cheating? Don't they have to count to 5 before they can run in...?"

217194-bubble-football-the-game-can-be-brought-to-your-nearest-sport-hall.jpg

Bubble football is a lot of fun!

THis looks like my personal nightmare... being trapped in a plastic balloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom