• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank these sports from most dangerous to least dangerous in your opinion

Cutty Flam

Banned
Soccer
Wrestling
Boxing
Basketball
Football
Tennis
MMA
Water Polo
Skateboarding
Surfing
Skiing / Snowboarding
Competitive Gaming
Golf
Ice Hockey
Swimming
Rugby

Any method of ranking you’d like to use is fine. No need to rank sports you are unsure about either; just rank the ones you know a decent bit

1. Wingsuit flying

CFgh.gif

Jeb_Corliss_-_Grounded.gif

BlushingVainJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I think boxing and football are the worst, because you are almost 100% guaranteed to suffer from CTE

Ballthyrm

Most Dangerous :
  1. Skiing / Snowboarding (break all your bones, hit your heat on a rock at 110 mph, we lose usually a great champion every year)
  2. Wrestling (die at 55 if your are lucky)
  3. Football (Get CTE, spend most of your retirement in pain)
  4. Boxing (CTE but oddly enough less likely than football because they don't fight as often)
  5. Basketball (Ton of Injuries)
  6. Soccer (less injuries than basketball but more nasty)
  7. Ice Hockey (300 pounds monster with razor sharp feet, WCGW)
  8. Surfing (drown in 50 ft waves)
  9. Water Polo (more violent than MMA)
  10. Swimming (lots and lots of neck and shoulder injuries)
  11. Rugby (Like Football but a gentleman sport, they don't tackle with their helmet)
  12. MMA (actually pretty safe)
  13. Tennis (they play all year, hours and hours, the best players are all over 30)
  14. Competitive Gaming (burn out at 25 because too slow to play starcraft)
  15. Golf (is that a sport ?)
Least Dangerous

That would be my ranking from what i know of common injuries.
It really depends if we are judging skiing the whole sport or not, as Winter sports can be super dangerous or not depending on the category

Last edited:

I_D

Soccer
Wrestling
Boxing
Basketball
Football
Tennis
MMA
Water Polo
Skateboarding
Surfing
Skiing / Snowboarding
Competitive Gaming
Golf
Ice Hockey
Swimming
Rugby

Any method of ranking you’d like to use is fine. No need to rank sports you are unsure about either; just rank the ones you know a decent bit

If we're talking about the professional levels, I'd rank them as follows:

Surfing
Skiing/Snowboarding
Skateboarding
Wrestling
Boxing
Football
Rugby
MMA

Then the rest are all about the same.

Without doing any research, and from a person who only pays attention to MMA, this is how I imagine the danger levels are, regarding short-term and long-term injury.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Ballthyrm Ballthyrm nice list bro. Is water polo really that aggressive and dangerous? I guess having to swim and not being able to see the water below as a ref would make it pretty crazy for the players

Cutty Flam

Banned
football and i don't think anything comes close

maybe mma
Yeah I was thinking this too. The brain damage and injuries they sustain is insane. Those are some tough ass dudes to even be walking, forget about playing. Heard most NFL players are in pain meds and such

Wrestling too I would imagine. I was just watching a top 100 deceased wrestlers vid the other day. A lot of heart issues, suicide, overdose on that list

Surfing is such a crazy sport. The ocean is too unpredictable imo. Should probably be at the top somewhere

Cutty Flam

Banned
Well that is boring. How long are we waiting after we eat?
The thing is, most people don’t swim in the ocean for laps weekly; they go to a pool. You can focus on things without having to worry about nature for the most part in a controlled environment such as a pool

Muscle cramping would be a horrific situation to find yourself in water. I know a chick who’s ex drowned out in a lake because he cramped up while swimming. Really good dude too, he shot hoops with me and my bros one time at a huge party. Swimming is very risky; you never know then your muscles are going to give. A lot of variables dependent on that matter

The thing is, most people don’t swim in the ocean for laps weekly; they go to a pool. You can focus on things without having to worry about nature for the most part in a controlled environment such as a pool

Muscle cramping would be a horrific situation to find yourself in water. I know a chick who’s ex drowned out in a lake because he cramped up while swimming. Really good dude too, he shot hoops with me and my bros one time at a huge party. Swimming is very risky; you never know then your muscles are going to give. A lot of variables dependent on that matter
As somebody who almost drowned in the ocean I can tell you, that you don't want to experience that.
I will never ever ever ever ever go into the ocean or even a lake without a buoy or something similar again.

You can be as macho as you wanna be about that, but then have fun being a corpse just because you happened to cramp or get into a riptide that you haven't noticed, etc

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd say football, MMA, rugby, and ice hockey are at the top. Things like surfing are dangerous but usually because you've made a mistake. Same goes for skateboarding skiiing/snowboarding.

DKehoe

I’d put boxing above MMA. Boxing having a ten count gives someone time to recover so they can get beat up more. In MMA once you’re done it’s over. Ground and pound might seem vicious but it’s better for someone to take a couple shots of that than get a chance to stand back up and get beat up worse.

Cutty Flam

Banned
As somebody who almost drowned in the ocean I can tell you, that you don't want to experience that.
I will never ever ever ever ever go into the ocean or even a lake without a buoy or something similar again.

You can be as macho as you wanna be about that, but then have fun being a corpse just because you happened to cramp or get into a riptide that you haven't noticed, etc
Yeah definitely agree. I've been wanting to swim in the ocean although I am not a good swimmer and currently fighting to regain strength in my hamstrings and core and just overall in general so I decided it would be a foolish decision all around. I wanted to test and see if the ocean had any noticeable calming affects but it's just not prudent to be going there at this stage. Swimming is tiring enough in a regular pool. I have a lot of respect for hardcore swimming athletes. Even water polo, being in water is a total body effort when you swim. So tiring

Kenpachii

Yea i agree with the swimming part. Currents + cold water flows that cramp your muscles are extremely dangerous.

Soccer
Wrestling
Boxing
Basketball
Football
Tennis
MMA
Water Polo
Skateboarding
Surfing
Skiing / Snowboarding
Competitive Gaming
Golf
Ice Hockey
Swimming
Rugby

Feels like a homework, no thanks.

manfestival

That feel when I see anyone not putting MMA at the very least in the top 3 for most DANGEROUS. People out here watching too many Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia fights thinking they represent the sport.

Top Bottom