• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most fun sport to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

Wrestling was the sport that I always loved. A 1 on 1 battle of wits, strength, and technique. Flag football was always a lot of fun with friends.

Soccer.

You can have fun kicking a ball around on your own, or with as many other people as you can find.

All you need to start a game is a ball and some space. Hell, in some countries the kids even find an alternative to a proper ball and still manage to have a good game.

It has such a low barrier to entry so anyone can join in. I don't know about anyone else, but ever since I was a kid, if you put a ball in front of me my natural reaction has been to kick it.

warthog

Everyone mentioning tennis or badminton but has not tried squash should give it go.
I used to play table tennis and badminton and still love those sports but squash took the crown. So satisfying to hit that rubber ball against a wall!

I will, for now badminton gets my vote.

AngryMoth

I enjoy racket sports the most by far. Tennis is probably my favourite but I'm not very good. Pretty good at squash and badminton though.

Coolwhip

Banned
Surfing the web.

+ no need to leave home
+ not exhausting
+ no showering with a group of dudes
+ no injuries
+ you dont get wet

DBT85

The most fun I had playing sport was, in order, Football (with feet), Basketball, Squash, then badminton.

Tennis is an utter ballache if one of you isn't great and the ball goes right into the corner and you don't have small people to run after it.

That said, the greatest feeling in sport I ever had was either a) scoring a nice 25+ yard goal, ideally in off the post or crossbar for that joyous "ping" when it hits, or b)being part of a well worked fast move where someone on the team scores. A decent bit of control and a layoff, a scything pass, nice interplay between winger and full back. I loved playing football :(.

Sadly all the kids in my school teams were the popular kids who I had no desire to play with and who thought I was the glasses computer nerd so didn't want me to play with them either.

Edwardo

Baseball was always my favorite to play growing up. I play basketball regularly now and haven't played football since high school. Football was probably the most fun. The games, not the practices though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Depends on how you define sport. In terms of the most general definition, in no particular order:

1. Fencing - I competed in college a little. It's SO fucking awesome. I fenced épée and loved it - it's modern day sword fighting with no weird priority rules or anything. Full body target. Good times.
  2. Darts - Not a "traditional" sport, but an awesome thing to do with friends. Drinks + darts. It's crazy to think that you can actually throw the dart and hit a specific target, but you totally can with practice. I was at the point where I could hit one of 3 wedges when aiming (so if I were aiming at the 20, I would hit the 1/5/20 every time). Honing that accuracy and calming your nerves is tough at the competitive level. Fun times.
  3. Golf - When I played a lot, I was pretty good. Being out of practice makes golf less enjoyable, but it's still fun to go play with a cooler of beer. Doesn't hurt that I get free golf at our local course with our company membership!
  4. Racquetball - My friend introduced me to this in college, and holy wow is it fun. The first few times were pretty scary because you're in such a small room swinging a racket wildly with another guy nearby, but once you get comfortable with everything, the game becomes amazing fun.
That's about all I play/played with any regularity. I really enjoy bowling, but I don't do it much anymore. Also, I feel kind of weird when we go out bowling and I'd have my own balls and shoes. But it's another fun activity with good company. Takes surprising amounts of strength to be able to bowl a 16# ball for 3 games in a row (~2-3 hours at the competitive/league level).

Karu

Handball. It's fast and strategic.
Not suprising this wasn't mentioned more often, but one of the best answers. I don't watch it myself, but playing? Thrilling.

Other than that... inside football? Not a good player myself, but just in terms of pure fun? For sure.

Klyka

Banned
Paintball is hella fun.

When two teams of equal skill play against each other and you're really going at it, it is such a rush.

Vitten

Of all the sports I played I had the most fun playing squash. Fun to toy with your opponent when he sucks and try and make him run into the walls..

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
People who've played hockey or not.

Hockey is easily the best, The issue is that its hard to play, expensive, and dangerous. So I can't really say its the best to play just for all the requirements needed. It was a thousand+ to play every year(though it included 7 months seasons and 3 times a week, with 3 tournaments). But it's also hard to recommend a sport to people where starting a list of injuries.
-1 Conscious.
-Fractured bone with torn skin. The puck tore off my skin where it hit.
-Set of stitches
-Bruised ribs
And those are the ones I went to the hospital for...

Best to play on a normal basis, Got a ball and some friends? You're good to go. It's simple to understand and the entry to play is a lot lower. Not to mention its great exercise.

Worst to play. Paintball aka People who want to shoot other people but too big of pussies to join the army. I'm being really unfair with that comment since the game is hella fun with friends or people who understand its a game. The issue is that it is a sport heavily dictated by money investment, the honor system, and people living out the COD fantasy.

Stupidest to play.... Football on ice. Ended up with some face stitches from that one in under 3 minutes of playing.

Hockey (ice or roller, even floor I guess), no contest.

But ice by far out of those options for those of us actually skilled enough to skate and to be able to play.

Klyka

Banned
People who've played hockey or not.

Hockey is easily the best, The issue is that its hard to play, expensive, and dangerous. So I can't really say its the best to play just for all the requirements needed. It was a thousand+ to play every year(though it included 7 months seasons and 3 times a week, with 3 tournaments). But it's also hard to recommend a sport to people where starting a list of injuries.
-1 Conscious.
-Fractured bone with torn skin. The puck tore off my skin where it hit.
-Set of stitches
-Bruised ribs
And those are the ones I went to the hospital for...

Best to play on a normal basis, Got a ball and some friends? You're good to go. It's simple to understand and the entry to play is a lot lower. Not to mention its great exercise.

Worst to play. Paintball aka People who want to shoot other people but too big of pussies to join the army. I'm being really unfair with that comment since the game is hella fun with friends or people who understand its a game. The issue is that it is a sport heavily dictated by money investment, the honor system, and people living out the COD fantasy.

Stupidest to play.... Football on ice. Ended up with some face stitches from that one in under 3 minutes of playing.

When I talk about Paintball, I am talking about the kind you play on tournament ready sub air fields with proper teams, rules and referees. That's what I play.

Basketball. Its super fast paced and like you said, everyone's involved in all of the action. Its probably one of the most 'team sports' out there. I don't really like playing soccer/football, as it can get boring if you're on the defensive side and have to stay back (Expecially if the other team sucks and never can get the ball near your goal)

krYlon

Basketball. Its super fast paced and like you said, everyone's involved in all of the action. Its probably one of the most 'team sports' out there. I don't really like playing soccer/football, as it can get boring if you're on the defensive side and have to stay back (Expecially if the other team sucks and never can get the ball near your goal)

You should try 5-aside/indoor/futsal instead of 11-aside football/soccer. It's basically exactly how you described basketball, but with feet instead of hands. It's much more about passing, skill and control than regular football too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tennis as many have said because just how racquet sports are in terms of constantly keeping you involved especially on just a recreational level.

golf

it's the only sport you can play until your dying day

nothing beats a beautiful day on the links with your friends, either playing or spectating

Risible

Laying motherfuckers out on defense, bitches. Sport of kings.
OCov8zJ.jpg

1: tennis (the ways you can affect the ball, the way you try to manipulate your opponent, the near instant feedback/payoff)

2: table tennis, for the same reasons as tennis, it's just a miniature sped up version, I would've put it at 1 with the old rules (smaller ball which was faster)

3: hockey , I love ice skating, momentum based movement is so much fun

Rizific

Paintball is hella fun.

When two teams of equal skill play against each other and you're really going at it, it is such a rush.

there is only one answer, and this is it.

warning, dubstep music inside. HKs videos contain some really great footage and generally give you a good feeling on what its like to play competitive paintball. although videos will never convey what its like to actually be out on the field.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DqJiQ_sTPw

For me, Snowboarding and Rock Climbing. That's more due to what kind of person I am than any kind of objective thinking, though.

The person before me who talked more about it was spot on. There's nothing for me like being up in the mountains after a fresh snowfall and just going to town on a slope somewhere with a few buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom