• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst Oscars Best Picture winner that you have seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Please list all the Best Picture winners you have seen.

List of Winners here

My list of winners I've seen.

Casablanca
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
The Sound of Music
In the Heat of the Night
Patton
The French Connection
The Godfather
The Sting
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Gandhi
Platoon
Driving Miss Daisy
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Titanic
Gladiator
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
The King's Speech
Argo
12 Years a Slave
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

For me its clear

Its The French Connection. I'm a big Hackman fan but its not a top 10 performance by him. Its aged badly, so badly its feels like a spoof. The car chase is highly overrated and poorly shot and edited.

Most underrated is Crash. Best film of that year and best performances of most of the actors careers.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm not trying to be mad controversial here, but I genuinely HATE Forrest Gump.

I'm not a cynical person in general, I like most things. I find it shocking that it beat Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption.

munchie64

Probably Crash and I don't even hate it as much as most. It was just fucking bullshit it won.

Edit of what I've seen since OP asked and it may be fun to see for myself:
All Quiet on the Western Front
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
On the Waterfront
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Ben-Hur
Lawrence of Arabia
The Sound of Music
Oliver!
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Gandhi
Amadeus
The Last Emperor
Rain Man
The Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Gladiator
Chicago
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
Argo
12 Years a Slave
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Braveheart is the worst, but I feel that Forrest Gump is the worst simply because it beat out Pulp Fiction which is hilarious in hindsight.

I've seen:

All Quiet on the Western Front
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
All the King's Men
Bridge on the River Kwai
Ben Hur
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music

And all the winners from 1970 to present.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm not trying to be mad controversial here, but I genuinely HATE Forrest Gump.

I'm not a cynical person in general, I like most things. Shocking that it beat Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption.
I am also on the anti-Gump boat.

Revan

Ti-fucking-tanic.

To this day I've never been able to watch the whole thing in a single viewing. Seriously terrible and unbelievably overrated movie.

Edited for clarity.

liquidtmd

Banned
Hmm...a tie for me between Crash and Driving Miss Daisy.

Many on that list feel as movies manipulative, pretentious and trying to be greater than the sum of their parts.

I didn't enjoy Crash as a movie but I've tried to detach myself and even then I feel it winning an accolade like this is cynical.

With Miss Daisy...it is well performed and acted but its emotional 'weight' I feel is less earned and more intentionally cloying than even Forrest Gump

Quick

Banned
+1 for Crash.

I didn't think it was bad, but it didn't seem as good as some of the other nominated movies.

Martal

Neo Member
12 years a slave. I ... just don't know, maybe someone can help me understand why I should find it good or profound or whatever it was supposed to be.

Platy

Crash is AWESOME near the boringness of

4BXxQuO.jpg

Even Gandhi has more happening and gandhi is a movie about a pacifist that has almost an hour more of duration than this shit

For me the least enjoyable would be The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I had already read the books and I'm a person who generally doesn't like to consume the same story more than once, so the film adaptions were generally just boring to me. I imagine it'd be different if I hadn't read them. Also it came out in a time I was super sick of generic fantasy, and given LoTR's influence in the genre, it's sort of the king of generic.

Edit: With that said, I wouldn't have picked any of the other films in the 2003 running over it.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Yep it's Crash, that ridiculous melodramatic piece of dump. Made all the worse for robbing Brokeback that year.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Crash. Not even a contest. I haven't quite seen every single Best Picture winner ever, but almost, minus some of the really early pre-1950s films, and I'd be willing to bet Crash is the worst Best Picture of all time. Unquestionably the worst within my lifetime.

Also: The French Connection? Bad? What in the hell.

TEJ

Crash was just so.... Insulting? The message was so ham fisted and it lacked any kind of subtlety.

johnsmith

remember me
The Hurt Locker, easily. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Incredibly boring the entire time. Birdman is the 2nd worst.

Toxi

Banned
Crash is AWESOME near the boringness of

4BXxQuO.jpg

Even Gandhi has more happening and gandhi is a movie about a pacifist that has almost an hour more of duration than this shit
The best thing about The English Patient is the Seinfeld episode.

sappyday

12 years a slave. I ... just don't know, maybe someone can help me understand why I should find it good or profound or whatever it was supposed to be.

An amazing story about what slavery does to a human being and powerful survival story at that? Also amazing cinematography and some of the best performances of these past 5 years?

Why isn't every post here Crash?

Some of us had the good sense not to watch it.

The worst Best Picture winner I ever saw was Driving Miss Daisy. It was not a bad movie, but it was eminently forgettable. I also wasn't a fan of Shakespeare in Love, but that's probably more because I was angry it beat out Saving Private Ryan. Again, fine film, but Best Picture? Nah.

Why don't people like Crash wtf

Then again my pick goes to Return of the King. Not a LotR fan so it's a no brainer for me. Don't hate it though, just not a fan.

Crash, but also an honorable mention of Titanic. Titanic's awards should have all been purely on a technical level.

If anyone says Mulholland Dr. I will hunt you down.

I enjoyed Crash, but it really did feel like it was a bit try-hard with its emotional stings and scenes. So not enough to win an award for me personally.

I'm surprised more aren't saying Forrest Gump, I thought people hated it now all of a sudden.

Strax

An amazing story about what slavery does to a human being and powerful survival story at that? Also amazing cinematography and some of the best performances of these past 5 years?

Brad Pitt and Fassbender worst performances in a long time, maybe in their entire career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom