• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst Oscars Best Picture winner that you have seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful tier:
- Gigi
- Forrest Gump
- Chicago

Really bad tier:
- Shakespeare in love
- Crash

Not absolutely terrible but nowhere near any kind of sensible best movie list:
- Argo
- The Artist
- The King's speech
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Million dollar baby
- A beautiful mind
- Braveheart
... damn 90% of Oscar winners are not very good movies, now are they? A list of actual great oscar winners would be shorter.

Crash is an awful fucking movie.

I remember we had to sit through it in some sociology elective I took and the professor kept going on and on about how its this great thing for learning that the academy recognized it for

That movie is so far up its own ass

Good Night and Good Luck is one of the most criminally underrated film of all time.

Yeah. Not only that, but if we're looking at movies that theoretically could have been nominated, 2005 had some pretty good films.

Awful tier:
- Gigi
- Forrest Gump
- Chicago

Really bad tier:
- Shakespeare in love
- Crash

- Argo
- The Artist
- The King's speech
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Million dollar baby
- A beautiful mind
- Braveheart
... damn 90% of Oscar winners are not very good movies, now are they? A list of actual great oscar winners would be shorter.

It's about which film pandered the hardest, not which film was actually the best. :p

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Birdman. Didn't even finish it I hated it so much
Closely followed by Hurt Locker and godfather 2

edit; Ive seen

Titanic
Gladiator
Slumdog
Hurtlocker
Birdman
12 years a slave
argo
Kings speech
No country for old men
The departed
Million dollar baby
lotr
chicago
braveheart
forrest gump
silence of the lambs
dancing with wolves (it was a while ago but surprised this was best picture material)
driving miss daisy
godfather
godfather 2

Dougald

I'm not trying to be mad controversial here, but I genuinely HATE Forrest Gump.

I'm not a cynical person in general, I like most things. I find it shocking that it beat Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption.

I don't hate it, but I don't understand why it's considered so great. It's essentially one long baby boomer back-slapping session

Amirnol

I have seen nearly every winner and nominated film of the best 12 or 15 years, and for me, it's Crash. I rarely hate a film, but I hate Crash.

Awful tier:
- Gigi
- Forrest Gump
- Chicago

Really bad tier:
- Shakespeare in love
- Crash

- Argo
- The Artist
- The King's speech
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Million dollar baby
- A beautiful mind
- Braveheart

Or you just have bad taste. A Beautiful Mind? Argo? The King's Speech? Really???

The Greatest Show on Earth.

Terms of Endearment
Crash
Out of Africa
Argo

I'm really not into any of these topping any list. I could probably do more, but I'll just stick with 5, in no particular order. (outside of of Greatest Show)

BioHazard

For me its clear

Its The French Connection. I'm a big Hackman fan but its not a top 10 performance by him. Its aged badly, so badly its feels like a spoof. The car chase is highly overrated and poorly shot and edited.

Most underrated is Crash. Best film of that year and best performances of most of the actors careers.

My god, these two sentences have to be a joke right? French Connection holds up extremely well, such a classic of 70s cinema.

And Crash best film of that year? The other nominees were: Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Munich, and Good Night, and Good Luck. Come on

Being a much better film helped.

It was completely ineffective for me. Much of the cast's performances were wooden (including Lupita Nyongo -- I have no idea how she won an Oscar for that performance). It was not a great film.

I expected so much more out of it. At least Ejiofor did a good job.

ApharmdX

Banned
Crash, of the ones that I've seen.

Braveheart was good, ya'll saying Braveheart are crazy. It was more of an action movie than a historical drama, but still. Gladiator was similarly flawed but a worse movie.

SeanC

The Greatest Show on Earth - Who wants to watch a goddamn Circus for two and a half hours?

Chicago - Show me something new. It's essentially just setting a camera on a stage and shooting the musical and doing little to really make it cinematic. Mediocre performances kill the movie for me. I'm very picky on film adaptation of musicals and this one felt lazy.

Crash - A heavy handed script and overacting doesn't make this a good movie.

Other winners wouldn't have been my choice (The Artist, King's Speech, Shakespeare in Love etc...) but I wouldn't necessarily call them bad. "Deserving" is debatable, but they're not bad films.

Fucking "Crash".

I've seen over half of those movies and I don't think highly of a lot of them(or the Oscars for that matter), but I can safely say that Crash doesn't deserve any awards from anyone. Every other movie on that list is about 100 times better than that Lifetime movie. I wonder what the fuck happened.

Helmholtz

Crash, Slumdog, Hurt Locker, Argo, King's Speech, Million Dollar Baby
I don't think any of them are offensively bad or anything. But those are the ones that stand out as being weak to me.
Edit: Judging by this thread Crash was probably offensively bad, I just haven't seen it since it came out and don't really remember.

Eidan

It was completely ineffective. Much of the cast's performances were wooden (including Lupita Nyongo -- I have no idea how she won an Oscar for that performance). It was not a great film.
There wasn't a wooden performance in the entire movie. The acting was one of the highlights in a film where pretty much every aspect was grade A. I have no clue what you're talking about.

It was completely ineffective for me. Much of the cast's performances were wooden (including Lupita Nyongo -- I have no idea how she won an Oscar for that performance). It was not a great film.

I expected so much more out of it. At least Ejiofor did a good job.

Yeah, sure thing. 12 Years is nowhere near the worst, NOWHERE. And oh yeah, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. That's another one I was super disappointed with.

Begbie

Please list all the Best Picture winners you have seen.
Its The French Connection. I'm a big Hackman fan but its not a top 10 performance by him. Its aged badly, so badly its feels like a spoof. The car chase is highly overrated and poorly shot and edited.

Most underrated is Crash. Best film of that year and best performances of most of the actors careers.

Wow, for me it is easily Crash and I love the French Connection looks like we are on opposite ends of the spectrum

Also, It's kind of hilarious that two of the films with the greatest influence on modern film making - Citizen Kane and Stagecoach - didn't win in their respective years.

Let's not forget that there were other, better movies that could have been nominated in place of Crash:

Syriana
A History of Violence

Hell, even Walk the Line was a better picture than Crash

theaface

Crash is bad and probably the most Oscar-baitish film on the list.

I also think 12 Years a Slave is guilty of the exact same crime - completely lacking in subtlety and nuance, another 'HERE'S A MESSAGE' movie. That said, I think Dallas Buyers Club, of the very same year, was equally Oscar bait material, albeit more the best actor nod than best film.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Million Dollar Baby was absolute garbage. Terrible, terrible movie.

Mine is Crash too.

Even though I'm very surprised they won Best Picture, I enjoyed Chicago and Shakespeare in Love when I saw them. I just didn't like Crash at all.

Driving Miss Daisy is just there. Totally unremarkable, but I didn't dislike it.

I didn't like Terms of Endearment very much. Didn't like Birdman very much either. Those probably round out my top 3.

stupei

People saying anything other than Crash have simply not seen Crash.

It's not just "not good enough to win Best Picture." It's almost unwatchable.

Let's not forget that there were other, better movies that could have been nominated in place of Crash:

Syriana
A History of Violence

Syriana is overrated. However, A History of Violence is in my top 5 of last decade. Seriously too good of a movie.

Eidan

Crash is bad and probably the most Oscar-baitish film on the list.

I also think 12 Years a Slave is guilty of the exact same crime - completely lacking in subtlety and nuance, another 'HERE'S A MESSAGE' movie. That said, I think Dallas Buyers Club, of the very same year, was equally Oscar bait material, albeit more the best actor nod than best film.

Demand slavery films with more subtlety and nuance. Nothing worse than when a director beats you over the head with messages of how awful slavery was.

Syriana
A History of Violence

I forgot this even came out that year. That was also a really good one. Or maybe I enjoyed it because I had bought a massive bag of sour patch kids and snuck it in my boots when I went to go see it.

Crash. Not even a contest.
Definitely, Crash was an awful Best Picture winner, shouldn't have even been nominated.

FTR, here's my list of seen winners:
Casablanca (1943)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
The Apartment (1960)
West Side Story (1961) *
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
My Fair Lady (1964) *
The Sound of Music (1965) *
Oliver! (1968) *
Patton (1970) *
The French Connection (1971)
The Godfather (1972)
Annie Hall (1977)
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) *
Terms of Endearment (1983) *
Amadeus (1984)
Platoon (1986)
Rain Man (1988)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Schindler's List (1993)
Forrest Gump (1994)
Braveheart (1995)
The English Patient (1996)
Titanic (1997)
Shakespeare in Love (1998)
American Beauty (1999)
Gladiator (2000)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Chicago (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Crash (2005)
The Departed (2006)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
The King's Speech (2010)
12 Years a Slave (2013)
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)

(* = I saw them before I became a film snob, so my impressions may be less than accurate)

What is so horrible about Crash ? people are tryin too hard man
The thing that stands out most in my recollection of Crash is the scene where Thandie Newton bitches out the police office for pulling her and Terrence Howard over because they're an interracial couple. I'm fine with that as a plot line, but they should've considered that when casting. It pulled me out of the movie, I was questioning everything the movie did after that scene, and I realized how manipulative it was being.

Dai101

Banned
Out of the ones i've seen fucking Gladiator. Well, it could be worst, i mean at least it wasn't fucking Erin Brockovich ...

kiguel182

Crash I would say. I didn't think it was anything special, but again I also don't remember much of it.

People saying Birdman are breaking my heart. It wasn't the best movie of that year (Whiplash says hi) but it's far from being a bad movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom