• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your GOTY 2019 so far??

KàIRóS

Devil May Cry 5 for AAA (followed by RE2)

Bloodstained for Indie (followed by Katana Zero)

I've also enjoyed Sekiro, Ace Combat 7 and Fire Emblem: TH.

Out of the games that have yet to come out, Astral Chain and Death Stranding have a chance to change my mind.

There are also a few other notable releases but I don't think they'll be GOTY material.

Otterz4Life

The only new games I’ve played this year have been Crackdown 3 and Blazing Chrome. I really liked both. I’m sure I’d say Fire Emblem or, soon, Astral Chain. That game looks damn good. I’m a big Fire Emblem fan.

Reactions: Isa

Mattyp

Gold Member
Nothing I can honestly think of, worst year yet but no wonder with next gen launching next year it was always going to start to get light.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
DAYS GONE - 9.5/10 and became my third best game of this generation. No other game for the rest of 2019 is going to match it let alone surpass it.

02. The Division 2 - 9.0/10
03. REmake2 - 9.0/10
04. Metro Exodus - 8.5/10
05. Devil May Cry 5 - 8.5/10
06. Rage 2 - 8.5/10
07. Judgment - 8.0/10
08. Far Cry New Dawn - 8.0/10
09. Mortal Kombat XI - 8.0/10
10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 7.0/10
11. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - 6.0/10

Backlog -
- A Plague Tale: Innocence (will rent via GameFly eventually)
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (will be played at year's end with the two other Switch games listed below)

2019 FutureLog -
- Remnant: From The Ashes (very much looking forward to this game)
- Control (expecting around an 8.0/10 or better for me)
- Astral Chain (see MUA 3 above)
- Gears 5 (the only remaining game on my list that I see hitting my 9.0/10 or better rating)
- GreedFall (seems like the AA version of The Witcher III)
- Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (see Astral Chain)
- The Surge 2 (gave the original game a 7.0/10 and this looks a lot better)
- Code Vein (50/50 on this game but will most give it a chance via GameFly)
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint (looking forward to it but not as hyped as I was with Wildlands)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (hoping that the story campaign is real good since that's the only reason why I will play the game)
- The Outer Worlds (looks real good, probably my January game, lol)
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (hyped for this game as it seems to be a soulscharted hack and slash game in the Star Wars universe)
- Doom Eternal (not really a big hell and demons guy but I played the 2016 game so I'll end the series with this one)

2019 Expecting -
- Darksiders Genesis (expecting to get a late November/early December release date at Gamescom, day one for me)
- Panzer Dragoon Remake (never played the original and this looks too good to pass up, expecting early December)

Overall, a stacked and packed year for me. LMAO. :)

Ivellios

Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice1.png

ranmafan

Fire Emblem hands down has been my game of the year and I’m still in the early stages of the game. Resident Evil 2 is in second right now. I’m sure Bloodstained would’ve been up there if it hadn’t been for the annoying Japanese delay preventing me from receiving my backed copy. With the next five months packed with Shenmue 3, Shin Sakura Taisen, and Ys IX I expect it will be a big fight for number 1 for me come December.

molasar

Banned
It will be Xeno Crisis if it is released this year.

Update: Death Stranding

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
WoW. I know it probably don’t count. Believe it or not I’m 36 and have played games my whole life. Never played wow until a few months ago. I’m sucked in to what people tell me is a shity xpac. Other than that origins and new super Mario Wii U deluxe.

Naked Lunch

Sekiro - gameplay on another level.
Blazing Chrome is my sleeper.
Very cool year for the return of classic franchises like DMC, Resident Evil, Samurai Shodown, and Ace Combat.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I know year is not over and still there are lot of high profile games coming, but still i want to ask great GAF community about their GOTY so far?

My GOTY so far is Resident Evil 2 Remake. I already completed this masterpiece 12 times now and got 100% completion.Absolutely loved everything about it. I doubt any upcoming game will beat RE2:R as GOTY contender for me.

resident_evil_2_remake_demo_1547205306501.jpg

Runner-up is - A Plague Tale: Innocence. Game was huge surprise for me. I was not expecting it to be this good.

220px-A_Plague_Tale_cover_art.jpg

What about you guys?

Please share with everyone. Thank you :)

Exactly this games... you are me... in another country?

MagnesG

Banned
Fire Emblem Three Houses for now.
Even then there's Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Daemon X Machina, and lastly Pokemon SwSh. For all the shit that had been going through, I will always be excited for a new region Pokemon.

KonradLaw

163288312.jpg

Anno 1800 for me. A true return to the form for the series after dissapoiting 2205. Runners up would be Three KIngdoms: Total War, Far Cry: New Dawn and Sekiro.

Orenji Neko

Resident Evil 2 Remake (PC) - Have completed this several times now; really, really enjoy it. It actually got me into an RE kick and I've also been replaying the other games.
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (PC) -Like RE2, I have played though this several times now. Was addicted until I did everything and I could still just start it and play again.
Mario Maker 2 -Have dumped hours upon hours into making stuff with my daughter on this.

Future candidates for my list:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) (Just don't have time to play it yet)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch)
Doom Eternal (PC)
CoD Modern Warfare (PC) I actually can't believe I'm saying this one....but what has been released about it is intriguing so we'll see. I think it might be almost as big a deal as the game that previously went by this title.
Monster Hunter World Frostborne (PC) Well for me, this one won't count for 2019 since the PC version is in January I think. Oh well. I'm such a MH aficionado that if it were releasing earlier, it would probably take top spot without question.
WoW Classic (PC) Yeah, I know it's a cheat but damn am I looking forward to the release of a game that originally came out in 2004. My wife and I are practically counting down the days to reliving our early WoW exploits.
Link's Awakening (Switch)

WindomURL

In chronological order: RE2R, Sekiro, Bloodstained

Survival horror, tenchusouls, and igavania. What's not to love?

It's got to be one of those three, but I'm not sure yet. Have to let the memories simmer.

Last edited:

Daymos

I don't know as if I've played a game released in 2019 yet. Waiting for a switch performance patch to start bloodstained..

My wife is playing dragon quest builders 2, that looks really fun. I've got that and fire emblem 3 houses ready to play someday.

Since I mainly play rpgs that take 1/3rd of a year to finish sometimes, I've been thinking of disregarding years when I talk about video games and going for 5 year periods instead. I don't even know what you call that? A lustrum ? A quinquennial? A fiver? When I only finish 3-4 games in a year it's depressing to admit.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Slay the Spire / RE2 / Sekiro.

Obviously in 21 days those games will be overwritten with WoW Classic.

dilbag

REmake 2 is my game of the year so far. Bloodstained is the runner up both are amazing games.

Doom eternal or Reminant from the ashes could take it but we will have to wait and see.

cormack12

Gold Member
Wow, I've played so much and not really touched any releases from this year. I think GOTY should have voting around April. Late releases either have inflated hype or weighted disappointment skewing the scores. For me, it's probably The Division 2. I've kept going back to it and as a GaaS title it's solid with the new content drops as well. Just makes me realise I haven't really played anything new though, or if I did it was a bit forgetful.

Still, there's a lot of good stuff dropping so fingers crossed.

Bryank75

Banned
Sekiro would be my game of year so far.
DMCV was great and Days gone is very good so far but need to play more.
Division 2 is what I expected but fun.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I have yet to play a Plague Tale or Fire Emblem, so I can’t really make a judgement until I have.

Looks like everyone who has played a Plague Tale agrees its GotY though.

Sekiro is my GOTY so far, with Bloodstained not far behind. RE2make was just okay. I've mostly been playing older games on my homebrew Vita this year.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Im gonna have to go with Sekiro. Mainly because I cant find anything to complain about unless im comparing it to other souls games. In a vacuum, Sekiro is damn near perfect.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im gonna have to go with Sekiro. Mainly because I cant find anything to complain about unless im comparing it to other souls games. In a vacuum, Sekiro is damn near perfect.
I can never understand that, Sekiro might share some elements from Souls series but nothing like those games and it wasn't trying to be. Most complain I hear from this is why this game is not RPG like Souls/Bloodborne but it was very clear this game was going to be action game rather than RPG from the very beginning. It’s like complaining about Why Catherine is not RPG like Persona games and just like Sekiro Catherine also shares some elements from Persona series but it still is whole new IP. Why not judge the game for what actually is instead of what people thought wanted to be.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Can't say it's RE2 neither DMC:V

But if it's only 2019's then AC7 takes the gold for me. But that's not the end of the year yet.

SEDRJ8X.png

Neverwas

I'll probably go with RE2 "so far", but by years end, GOTY will probably be going to Borderlands 3, unless they completely botch it somehow.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I love GOTY voting, Fall games ALWAYS guzzle up all the voting. I'm taking Death Stranding. So far I've never seen anything quite like it.

3March

Banned
Devil May Cry 5.

I REALLY want to play FE: 3 houses, but I haven't the money for a Switch at the moment. Will probably get a Switch Lite.

Top Bottom