• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your GOTY 2019 so far??

Resident Evil 2 is still the best gaming experience I've had this year. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a close second and Death Stranding is my sleeper pick.

Last edited:

Neolombax

This thread made me realize that for the majority of this year, I've been playing a game released last year which was Destiny 2 Forsaken. Well, with its DLC contents released this year, but I've played none of the major releases this year.

...OK so maybe Anthem, but we don't talk about that.

Bl@de

So far RE2Remake. It is the only 2019 game I've played. But I'm sure that Ion Fury (formerly known as Ion Maiden) will be my GOTY.

Acidizer

Banned
CTR, I guess. Haven't played many newly released titles, but it's been a slow year to this point.

I was hyped for this, but the unbalanced difficulty killed it for me. That, and I hate the boost system, would have preferred a more simple system... then maybe normal difficulty wouldn't have been so tough. (easy is far too easy)

Can't say I've been that thrilled at many games this year... though Wreckfest I am looking forward too very much.

DMC5 definitely, although I haven't played much else this year; waiting to get RE2R but I have a horrible sickness of 'I need to play the original to love the remakes more'. Other than that, this year has had some just fun games, nothing mind blowing or groundbreaking, just fun.

Skyr

It wasn’t the best year for me but it would be between

Sekiro
Apex Legends
Days Gone

If I would be pressed to choose, I would pick Sekiro.
By playtime it’s certainly Apex

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I can never understand that, Sekiro might share some elements from Souls series but nothing like those games and it wasn't trying to be. Most complain I hear from this is why this game is not RPG like Souls/Bloodborne but it was very clear this game was going to be action game rather than RPG from the very beginning. It’s like complaining about Why Catherine is not RPG like Persona games and just like Sekiro Catherine also shares some elements from Persona series but it still is whole new IP. Why not judge the game for what actually is instead of what people thought wanted to be.
Hey if you cant draw comparisons between Sekiro and other souls games, i dont know what to tell you. The combat is obviously drawing from previous soulsborne games. The difficulty definitely resides in a similar realm as well.

Mind you, the complaints i have about sekiro when comparing it to souls games is that it lacks a single but very important element of danger. The constant threat of being invaded by another player. I know this was never meant to be Sekiro's aim, but anybody who cherished the pvp aspect of those previous games would be justified in simply saying that they wished it was somehow present in sekiro.

As my original post said...i really enjoy sekiro, its my GOTY so far, but that doesnt mean its without fault, nor does it mean tjat a die hard souls fan like myself cant fantasize about a sekiro game with the multiplayer included

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
v4BqVRI.png

642VCbQ.png

2SHXn9k.png

iuNaowx.png

Even though it's still in a nearly-finished "demo" stage, I'm going with the new Atari 2600 translation of Galaga, courtesy of Champ Games. This sensational cartridge is virtually identical to the arcade classic, and represents the latest achievements in the Atari indie/homebrew scene.

Game features:

• 1 or 2 players (alternating) with plans to add in a 2 player co-op mode
  • NOVICE, STANDARD and ADVANCED skill levels
  • a special CHALLENGE game mode where you compete with only CHALLENGE stages
  • all enemies from the arcade included (thanks Nathan!)
  • all music and sound from the arcade included (thanks Ross!)
  • High scores for all game modes; will support save to Atarivox/Savekey
  • Will support Nathan Tolbert's multi-tap (QuadTari) for 2 player with Atarivox/Savekey
  • A/B switch to enable/disable auto-fire (A = no auto-fire aka like the arcade; B = auto-fire with button held down)
  • Pause game via Color/BW / Pause (7800) switch
  • Technical details: the game uses the new CDFJ driver (Stella 6.1 or better) and runs on both the Harmony & Harmony Encore. It also runs on the latest community build of Stella on the Retron 77 (thanks Nathan for the confirmation!)

The developers haven't yet decided on a physical release, and such decisions are based on factors including money (classic game indie devs are lucky to break even) and licensing (Nintendo shut down the Atari 2600 Princess Rescue which was based on Super Mario Bros). A demo with nearly all bugs removed is currently available for free download, so be sure to grab a copy and give it a try. I do hope that a physical cartridge is announced later this year.

You might not be aware, but nearly all classic videogame consoles and home computers are home to a thriving indie community that is creating some of the very best games you'll find anywhere. You owe it to yourself to be plugged into what's happening.

Kagey K

Banned
Runner-up is - A Plague Tale: Innocence. Game was huge surprise for me. I was not expecting it to be this good.

220px-A_Plague_Tale_cover_art.jpg

So far it’s A Plague Tale: Innocence.

Just requested this game from my library, based on your recommendations.

I honestly don’t think I’ve played my GOTY yet, it’ll likely be Borderlands 3, Gears 5 or Outer Worlds.

So far this has been a catch up on the backlog year, with some interesting indies thrown in.

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
Gotta say Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Bloodstained a close second. Both are flawed games, but really answer what fans of the series were craving.

Fbh

Sekiro is the only game from this year that I've bought and played.... so it wins by default.
But it's a fantastic game and knowing my taste I doubt I'd like any other game released so far in 2019 better

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro is the only game from this year that I've bought and played.... so it wins by default.
But it's a fantastic game and knowing my taste I doubt I'd like any other game released so far in 2019 better
Sekiro also my GOTY but I can definitely see this taking over for my personal GOTY. Its looking sooooo good so far.

zenspider

Calendar year: Katana Zero

In tallies with a goofy November cutoff: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Current potential candidate: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Speculation: One of Nintendo's high profile releases (Astral, Link, DQXI), or Death Stranding look to have a ton fancy-tickling potential, and I'm always open to an indie or low-budget sleeper.

chemicals

this is easy for me: Bloodstained ROTN.

And now that I think of it? ROTN might be my GOTG as well. I just love everything about it.

I'm a very niche style gamer so I don't play too often but the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2 is GOY for me. Mostly thanks to the first person options since that's basically the only view type I prefer and the super detailed world to explore which I enjoy doing more often than playing through a story campaign. I like the immersive, casual experience so the only thing that would make it better would be a VR mod similar to GTA 5.

Aion002

Sekiro.

Great gameplay, amazing art, cool setting, interesting characters and fun to play.

Second place would be Resident Evil 2 Remake.

But I have yet to play Death Stranding, Days Gone and Dmc V.

Phase

I would say it's a tie for me between RE2 Remake and Death Stranding. I had an amazing time with both for different reasons.

bronk

Banned
When I think about it the most fun I had playing a game this year was with Valfaris. I absolutely loved it. It would probably be that followed by Bloodstained.

Doom85

For now, Resident Evil 2 remake. I greatly enjoyed Days Gone and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but not to the extent of RE 2. Death Stranding and Jedi: Fallen Order I haven't finished but while I'm enjoying them I don't see them stealing GOTY for me personally. Haven't had a chance to touch Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 5, or Astral Chain.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I must admit, I thought for the longest time Days Gone had it on lock this year. Even after I finished Death Stranding's story, that was still true. However after 30hrs in the post-game immersed in the Kojima's "strand game" core loop... its close, like really close.

Days Gone for me, is simply a really well realized turn on a well-established template. All credit to Bend for the effort and execution, because its a game I can literally pick up at any point and know I'm going to have a good time. All the additions and improvements made post-release are icing on a very tasty cake.

Death Stranding is something else entirely. Going in, I was unsure as to whether Kojima could get away with making a game with combat depreciated to a secondary role behind traversal, I was doubtful that the much vaunted social "stand" aspect would add much, and I have to admit the crazy bastard really delivered (pun intended).
Its a game every bit as meticulously crafted and madly idiosyncratic as you'd expect from a Kojima joint, and while I don't think its close to perfect as a story, or an overall implementation of what he had in his head...

...Its one hell of a pioneering effort, and that deserves a lot of credit.

I guess its head versus heart; my head says DS, but my heart says DG. So I guess I'm good with either/both.

Last edited:

SnapShot

Control, combat is very fun and the story, atmosphere and setting are very intriguing. Love the references to Alan Wake and Max Payne also.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Star Wars: Vader Immortal VR - just incredible asset quality and true to life lightsaber dueling.

Runner up: Jedi Fallen - the story is amazing (so far) and I love the use of the UE4 in this game

NOTE: I did immensely enjoy RE2 Remake though.

Graphics of the Year for me -- COD: Modern Warfare (PC). They have truly started the next-gen base standard level.

FeldMonster

Rage 2 for me.

The combat, especially once you get all of the focus attacks is extremely fun and addictive.

They took the baseline Doom combat, subtracted that awful Glory kill nonsense, and then added enough Destiny to make it awesome.

There is also a lot to do, if you choose to, I am 60 hours in and haven't completed the main story yet.

Top Bottom