• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are we gonna stop pretending that females can be just as effective in combat as males?

ruvikx

Banned
I have no idea how long this current derangement will last. It feels like until we have a full on stint of communism in any given Western country, this sort of group think will continue to exist

The communists (real) should at least know their own history, but apparently they don't. I read Sniper on the Eastern Front once (i.e. the book by Sepp Allerberger because why not). When the German Gebirgsjäger troops came under sniper fire from a line of trees in one anecdote, they flanked the Soviet position with a few men & soon realized the Russian snipers were all positioned in the actual trees, looking down on the German position. Anyone who is anyone knows that's a real bad idea for snipers to remain in a fixed position, so the Germans opened fire on the entire treeline & bam, game over for the Russians.

Upon inspecting the bodies, they discovered a unit comprised of nothing but women. Moral of the story? The Russians had turned women into descent sharp shooters... & yet they didn't have an ounce of skill for combat or tactics beyond aiming down a scope semi effectively. Quite honestly, anyone who wants to see real women in real combat is a very sick puppy IMO.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It wasn't a problem back there, when the strength of a woman wasn't a political weapon, neither it's gender.

Of course nobody cared back then playing as Chun-Li, Samus, Tifa or any other female character how capable they were, I mean, Tifa was the expert in close combat; have you ever heard someone complain about it? And thats because their capabilities weren't a political stance, like they are now in some games with some female characters.

I mean, nobody cares what virtual strenght some pixels representing a woman in the screen have, the point is how that representation of a gender and it's strength is sometimes used to further a political message.

considering what you wrote previously on this

aka “I’m so partisan and hypersensitive to the politics of race and gender that instead of owning the liberals I ended up owning myself”

You have unironically perfectly encapsulated SJW.

Bravo.

I'm far from what people consider a "sjw" I'm just not an unhinged lunatic that gets angry about a female videogame character having muscles or Lara Croft fighting men and winning or fighting some mystery war against the social justice "indoctrination". These types of threads and comments come off as pathetic at best, and bordering on just straight up socially retarded at worst. Trust me, as someone whose brain hasn't been poisoned by either side of the coin, this all sounds insane. Try looking at these situations with a logical, rational and mature thought process and you'll see how bizarre this all sounds.

I sometimes wonder, do the people here like you have wives? Girlfriends? Do you voice these "concerns" in real life?

Last edited:

Skyr

It's a fantasy setting so who the fuck cares.

Now, if you do that in a game with a historical setting (Battlefield 5 says hello) that's where shit is getting weird, and I'm like.. nah not for me.

But Tomb Raider? Come on dude.. It's by no means a realistic scenario, it's fucking fantasy. You think any of the shit nathan drake does is even remotely doable for a man? lol..

Jon Neu

Banned
considering what you wrote previously on this

aka “I’m so partisan and hypersensitive to the politics of race and gender that instead of owning the liberals I ended up owning myself”

I'm a liberal myself, so I don't think my goal is "owning the liberals".

I'm far from what people consider a "sjw" I'm just not an unhinged lunatic that gets angry about a female videogame character having muscles or Lara Croft fighting men and winning or fighting some mystery war against the social justice "indoctrination".

I sometimes wonder, do the people here like you have wives? Girlfriends? Do you voice these "concerns" in real life?

You seem to get super angry at people criticizing SJW ideologies though, because I literally never see you outside of this threads in which you always retort to insult other people.

It's a fantasy setting so who the fuck cares.

Now, if you do that in a game with a historical setting (Battlefield 5 says hello) that's where shit is getting weird, and I'm like.. nah not for me.

But Tomb Raider? Come on dude.. It's by no means a realistic scenario, it's fucking fantasy. You think any of the shit nathan drake does is even remotely doable for a man? lol..

And that's the hilarious fallacy of this whole complaint. You can't look at one side (how could a woman POSSIBLY beat up men?!) without looking at the other side (how could Nathan Drake hang off a ledge indefinitely and rack up a body count in the thousands?!). It's a game. Escapism. Entertainment.

Mmnow

"Females."

I don't see why someone as obviously athletic and used to taking a beating as Lara Croft in the remakes takes you out of the game, but Nathan Drake gunning down 7,000 bad guys while being surrounded by bullets, missiles, falling buildings and ancient demons wouldn't, but to each their own.

In fact, that last one is a way bigger problem for me, and Tomb Raider suffers from it as well. When your main character is presented as a good guy, spends the game murdering countless people, then cracks jokes in the cutscenes. Then off on another killing spree. Another cutscene where they joke about being out of breath. A few more murders. Happy ending.

That's way more egregious than women being able to fight.

I'm a liberal myself, so I don't think my goal is "owning the liberals".

You seem to get super angry at people criticizing SJW ideologies though, because I literally never see you outside of this threads in which you always retort to insult other people.

Angry? I'm angry for pointing out logical fallacies, hypocricies or just how silly this whole "movement" is? If you're this sensitive to think I'm angry that says a lot more about you than me mate. My post history is on display, it is obvious I post in a wide range of topics.

idrago01

Banned
Ok male feminists when are the mixed male/female MMA matches coming out? They're not because even an average male would knock the f'ck out and probably kill any female with one blow to the head.

GRIEVEZ

Thank the heavens that Lara doesn't look like that monster. :)
Sigh... we dudes had our day in the sun, with badass politically incorrect 80s machismo violence and sexism in movies.

Now we know better, so why not (visually) portray women more grounded instead of just fap material. I think its great what they did.

idrago01

Banned
Sigh... we dudes had our day in the sun, with badass politically incorrect 80s machismo violence and sexism in movies.

Now we know better, so why not (visually) portray women more grounded instead of just fap material. I think its great what they did.
Found the guy who probably would get BTFO by a girl

GRIEVEZ

Ok male feminists when are the mixed male/female MMA matches coming out? They're not because even an average male would knock the f'ck out and probably kill any female with one blow to the head.
You sound like a dude thats never been in a real fight lol.

Jon Neu

Banned
Angry? I'm angry for pointing out logical fallacies, hypocricies or just how silly this whole "movement" is? If you're this sensitive to think I'm angry that says a lot more about you than me mate. My post history is on display, it is obvious I post in a wide range of topics.

You're the one claiming other people are angry, you're just being paid with the same coin.

The sensitive part is funny too, I go to threads and I talk about videogames and politics, then people like you come and start talking not about videogames and politics, but about other users in a pejorative and insulting way.

To me is pretty clear which side is sensitive and angry just by observing this behaviour every single time a topic like this surfaces.

But is okay, I still love you.

Azurro

Banned

I don't know what kind of women you know, but exactly zero of the ladies I've ever met would ever like to look like that monster, they'd much rather look like Lara. You know, beautiful women. :)

You are committing a basic flaw with intersectionality, assuming what other people like and get offended by.

GRIEVEZ

You sound like a dude that's never touched a real woman
You are an exact copy pasta, of the beta males that get mad at me for having nice looking women around lol.

Same drunk people that make the mistake of baiting me into fights. :)

Dont mind me while I put you on ignore, for all I know im having a discussion with a 12 year old - and I see very little Merritt in prolonging my exchange with you. Have a nice day though.

killatopak

I’m sorry but females should be feminine and males should be masculine. Guess I’m just bigoted like that 🤷🏻‍♂️
The real world doesn’t work like that.

Just look at KPOP boy groups. If masculinity was all that was attractive in men, then people wouldn’t even entertain them.

There are also things called preference. Don’t just push your own worldview unto others.

You’re not bigoted, you’re just ignorant.

Shai-Tan

Banned
"Females."

I don't see why someone as obviously athletic and used to taking a beating as Lara Croft in the remakes takes you out of the game, but Nathan Drake gunning down 7,000 bad guys while being surrounded by bullets, missiles, falling buildings and ancient demons wouldn't, but to each their own.

In fact, that last one is a way bigger problem for me, and Tomb Raider suffers from it as well. When your main character is presented as a good guy, spends the game murdering countless people, then cracks jokes in the cutscenes. Then off on another killing spree. Another cutscene where they joke about being out of breath. A few more murders. Happy ending.

That's way more egregious than women being able to fight.

in games with henchman that have zero sense of self preservation because you know, genre fiction

I don't know what kind of women you know, but exactly zero of the ladies I've ever met would ever like to look like that monster, they'd much rather look like Lara. You know, beautiful women. :)

You are committing a basic flaw with intersectionality, assuming what other people like and get offended by.

To be fair, aren't you committing the same flaw by assuming that because "zero of the ladies" you've met would like to be muscular that means all women must think the same?

Azurro

Banned
To be fair, aren't you committing the same flaw by assuming that because "zero of the ladies" you've met would like to be muscular that means all women must think the same?

Maybe, but my sample size is way bigger and exactly zero of them would like to look like that, so I'm a lot more confident I'm more in touch with what a woman would like to look like. Which brings the question, who are they trying to represent by that monster lady? It's evidently not women, so who then? The incredibly tiny demographic of roided up women bodybuilders?

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
You are an exact copy pasta, of the beta males that get mad at me for having nice looking women around lol.

Dont mind me while I put you on ignore, for all I know im having a discussion with a 12 year old - and I see very little Merritt in prolonging my exchange with you. Have a nice day though.

tenor.gif

I love this threads.

Mmnow

in games with henchman that have zero sense of self preservation because you know, genre fiction

It's not a problem, it's an unfortunate quirk of the medium. But if you're going to get hung up on women as fighters, there are countless things that are far more annoying that are just accepted as part of suspending your disbelief.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I adore TR. I think they sometimes get a little unrealistic in what Lara could physically do, but I've never found it to be too much of a reach.

I did however, throw the OP a like, even if it kind of hurt to admit. There seems to be this ideologically charged initiative to turn women into... I love this saying, so I'm going to use it, Vagina Bros that effectively take over the bald space marine/tough guy archetype.

They aren't women. Not really. Not physically, not how they act, anything. The recent move to have their appearance (the AC chic in some scenes really is something else) even get ultra-gruff and masculine, just drives it home.

They're more ideological caricatures of a truly broken culture.

I think exaggerations and fantasy are fine, and even really enjoy those. But I do think there's a line that modern games often cross, where I can't suspend my disbelief about what's happening on-screen anymore.

A prime example would be the multiple fight scenes from Uncharted where Nathan gets his ass handed to him by Nadine (?), then later on, she takes down him and his brother at the same time. Not only is that patently absurd for anyone with an understanding of how the real world works, It's a blatant example of ideological insertion.

It's a shame to see OP being zerg rushed, instead of people having a conversation with him. He has a strong, interesting point, even if you don't agree with the way he made it.

GRIEVEZ

So your assumption is that I dont talk to other people?

Even if they dont look like that and dont want to. Portraying women "unrealistically" - makes for unrealistic expectations and makes SOME women feel more insecure (even those who look good).

I really dont think, every game needs to feature hot women - is all im saying.

idrago01

Banned

Nice women may be around you but they sure as shiet not sleeping with you, otherwise you'd know there are some very real physical differences between males and females.

Rikoi

Nobody complained about female characters in the past because they were cool and were not pushed by any agenda.

Today the people that want to pretend females are physically capable as the males are doing nothing but damaging women.
Seriously those movie scenes where a woman beats a men triple size than her make me cringe so much.
We already have trans women that are beating every women records in sports because of sjw-ism.

The more this culture becomes mainstream, the more women will be damaged because the reality is totally different.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I adore TR. I think they sometimes get a little unrealistic in what Lara could physically do, but I've never found it to be too much of a reach.

I did however, throw the OP a like, even if it kind of hurt to admit. There seems to be this ideologically charged initiative to turn women into... I love this saying, so I'm going to use it, Vagina Bros that effectively take over the bald space marine/tough guy archetype.

They aren't women. Not really. Not physically, not how they act, anything. The recent move to have their appearance (the AC chic in some scenes really is something else) even get ultra-gruff and masculine, just drives it home.

They're more ideological caricatures of a truly broken culture.

I think exaggerations and fantasy are fine, and even really enjoy those. But I do think there's a line that modern games often cross, where I can't suspend my disbelief about what's happening on-screen anymore.

The funny thing is that feminists, without realizing it, are admitting that the best woman is... a man.

So much for toxic masculinity.

A prime example would be the multiple fight scenes from Uncharted where Nathan gets his ass handed to him by Nadine (?), then later on, she takes down him and his brother at the same time. Not only is that patently absurd for anyone with an understanding of how the real world works, It's a blatant example of ideological insertion.

I don't know how anyone can look at those scenes and not see them as the obvious feminist fanservice. They add nothing to the story, you can write them in so many different ways, yet what we have is the sassy black woman utterly humilliating in a physical combat the two white male heroes that can destroy an entire army by themselves and deal with super big soldiers, but they are no rivals for a strong independent woman.

When I was playing the game I literally couldn't stop laughing at how blatant all was. That scene has Neil Druckmann written all over it.

Airola

Of course nobody cared back then playing as Chun-Li, Samus, Tifa or any other female character how capable they were, I mean, Tifa was the expert in close combat; have you ever heard someone complain about it?

We didn't have that problem back then but now we're complaining about the new Tifa having too small and too unjiggly tits though.

Maybe, but my sample size is way bigger and exactly zero of them would like to look like that, so I'm a lot more confident I'm more in touch with what a woman would like to look like. Which brings the question, who are they trying to represent by that monster lady? It's evidently not women, so who then? The incredibly tiny demographic of roided up women bodybuilders?

There are billions of women in the world and yet your sample size is large enough to determine that women don't want to look like that? You need to realize how ridiculous this sounds. This is the main reason your argument is useless, to claim one person can't make sweeping intersectional generalizations then proceed to make your own. All because it fits your bias and agenda.

As for why Abby was designed the way she was...why not? Why can't she just be designed in that way without having to have all these explanations of representation. Games, movies etc are infinitely more enjoyable when you don't concern yourself with trivialities such as "who IS Abby supposed to represent?"

-Arcadia-

Banned
So your assumption is that I dont talk to other people?

Even if they dont look like that and dont want to. Portraying women "unrealistically" - makes for unrealistic expectations and makes SOME women feel more insecure (even those who look good).

I really dont think, every game needs to feature hot women - is all im saying.

Why are you speaking for me? I enjoy playing as characters that are attractive and good looking, female or male. I much prefer it to ugly blobs, and pseudo-men.

If you look at a screen and start comparing yourself to a digital human, you have bigger problems to address than dismantling the 'videogame patriarchy'.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Again, is the same principle; you claim I'm making it bigger than it is and I say you are making it far more smaller than it is. Making it smaller than it is in the hope of not allowing any criticism of it or else you will come and criticize the people doing the criticism. Like you and the people holding the same stance as you are doing in this thread right now.

And again, the same fucking principle; the creator of The Last Of Us 2 literally says he has an agenda based on Anita Sarkeesian politics, yet there has been months and months of feminist allies such as yourself claiming that I had a fragile ego for believing that the game has such agenda.

I don't know, man (if being called that doesn't offend you) seems to me that the people literally defying reality are the ones with an egotistical problem.

And that's the problem with the people like you: you only accept that SJW indoctrination exists in theory, but it never ever exists in practice. It's always fragile ego misogynists seeing things that aren't there, coincidences and stuff.

It's basically damage control.

The lumping me in with the crazy crowd ain't gonna work here champ, there's a handy search tool you can employ to find that I agree TLOU2 has obvious political agendas. Here's the post, I'll help you out. Although not necessarily the same one(s) many others are bleating about. You'll be hard pressed to find posts by me that are actively for the thing you hate and not just being tired of people yelling at shadows. I get it, but when you accuse everything of having the same issue, it's like crying wolf and it just weakens your position when it's actually justified. It's the exact safe tactic the far left employ by labelling everything problematic, so when something actually is, nobody takes it seriously. Just because someone doesn't share the same drama queen level of an ideal doesn't mean they believe the opposite.

TLOU2 was clearly a game with an agenda, whether or not that is women good men bad (it isn't, by the way). Female protagonists being able to beat up men inherently isn't and never was, it's up to the designer if they want to do that add that to their game.

Tomb Raider, TLOU, Horizon are just a few examples of games (I know there are more but these stuck to me) I played this gen where you’re made to believe that physically significantly weaker sex can overpower hordes of men like they are joke. I don’t mind having female leads but it does create huge ludonarrative dissonance in my head.

So I’m playing modern Tomb Raider for the first time since it‘s PS Plus monthly game and notion that she can just strangle big muscle men with her bow like it’s nothing is absurd. It doesn’t work. I know people will mention how it’s also not realistic that Nathan Drake can gun down hundreds of people in his games but I think about it this way: if he can win in a single gunfight against 1 man it’s realistic in people’s minds that he can win in multiple ones.
Now, chances of any female winning in a single fight against physically larger and stronger men in real life is very small. Maybe through some trick or cleverness but not likely. Yet you can see what Ellie does or Lara or Alloy or anyone else.

I’m not emphasizing skill with guns because, obviously, females can be almost just as good there (although also not likely) or in cases where your enemies are zombies like in Resident Evil or similar games.

My point is, yes, make games with female leads as much as you like (though vast majority of AAA gamers are male) but put them in realistic scenarios that don’t always necessarily have to include melee violence because it just feels off.
I completely agree with you on that. Those people saying that "Its just a game" are totally missing the point OP is trying to make.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The funny thing is that feminists, without realizing it, are admitting that the best woman is... a man.

So much for toxic masculinity

They're saying it, and I do agree that it's hilariously hypocritical, but men are good at the things they're good at, but women have their own things and talents, that wouldn't be easily imitated by a man.

But that disagreement aside, the left really does think the ultimate woman is a man. Biologically, socially, everything. It might actually be the single most sexist, damaging thing in modern society, if you really sit down and think about it.

GRIEVEZ

Why are you speaking for me? I enjoy playing as characters that are attractive and good looking, female or male. I much prefer it to ugly blobs, and pseudo-men.

If you look at a screen and start comparing yourself to a digital human, you have bigger problems to address than dismantling the 'videogame patriarchy'.
I quoted Azurro.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
There are billions of women in the world and yet your sample size is large enough to determine that women don't want to look like that? You need to realize how ridiculous this sounds. This is the main reason your argument is useless, to claim one person can't make sweeping intersectional generalizations then proceed to make your own. All because it fits your bias and agenda.

As for why Abby was designed the way she was...why not? Why can't she just be designed in that way without having to have all these explanations of representation. Games, movies etc are infinitely more enjoyable when you don't concern yourself with trivialities such as "who IS Abby supposed to represent?"

I think Abby, in a vacuum, can be a good design. Something different -that has been done before, but it's very unusual still- and it's okay to have different types of characters.

The problem is that Abby's design isn't in a vacuum, there's too much on the nose stuff around TLOU2, Druckmann, etc... And she also as a character makes a very unpopular action, obviously.

I get it, but when you accuse everything of having the same issue, it's like crying wolf and it just weakens your position when it's actually justified.

That's actually a valid criticism. And I agree, but that's one of the other implications of this new culture in which we live now; we don't know when the minority character has it's value by being a cool character regardless of his/her make up, or has a political agenda behind.

Ironically, SJW are ruining representation.

TLOU2 was clearly a game with an agenda, whether or not that is women good men bad (it isn't, by the way). Female protagonists being able to beat up men inherently isn't and never was, it's up to the designer if they want to do that add that to their game.

I agree with all of that too.

Denton

Stupid thread is stupid. Games are games, very few games attempt to be simulators of anything. Women can beat up men in movies, TV Shows, videogames and sometimes real life too. HarrisonFordWhogivesashit.gif

The lumping me in with the crazy crowd ain't gonna work here champ, there's a handy search tool you can employ to find that I agree TLOU2 has obvious political agendas. Here's the post, I'll help you out. Although not necessarily the same one(s) many others are bleating about. You'll be hard pressed to find posts by me that are actively for the thing you hate and not just being tired of people yelling at shadows. I get it, but when you accuse everything of having the same issue, it's like crying wolf and it just weakens your position when it's actually justified. It's the exact safe tactic the far left employ by labelling everything problematic, so when something actually is, nobody takes it seriously. Just because someone doesn't share the same drama queen level of an ideal doesn't mean they believe the opposite.

It is entertaining to see people immediately shout "sjw!!" when you bring up a point that goes against theirs, and completely lack the self awareness to realize they are behaving the same as the people they loathe.

Extremism. The bane of modern society.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I quoted Azzuro.

No. You're speaking for all women everywhere, like we're damaged, fragile goods that can't handle seeing a person more attractive than themselves on-screen, and need every fictional female character to be a blob, or a psuedo-man.

Have you stopped to consider that we enjoy playing as awesome looking characters too, particularly those of our own gender?

Top Bottom