• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why TLOU 2 gameplay may suck (Opinion thread)

Whitecrow

Banned
I've been recently replaying FF 13 and Uncharted Remastered Collection, so this thought came to my mind:

"They make it bigger, they mess it up."

And why?

Well, I think everyone who played those franchises know what I'm talking about, but let me explain.

There's this debate where some people compares FF XIII corridors / linearity fo FF X, like if it had the same effect.
Yeah, of course, it's the same to stay 2 minutes in an elevator that staying 30, right?

FF XIII maps where like 10 times bigger than X ones, and plagued with endless battles, to the level of feeling almost like a battle game with a story behind, instead of a story with battles.
SE wanted top take advantage of the PS3 power, make everything bigger, messed up the pace.

Then we have Uncharted.
Uncharted 1-3, were really focused and most of climbing was to solve puzzles inside a 'small' area, and world traversal was very bearable, with enough variety of platforming sections and combat encounters.
But you know, Uncharted 4 came. With bigger maps. A lot of map traversal and lots and lots of climbing.
Yes, the borefest we all know.

Following the analogy, it's like the FF XIII of the Uncharted franchise.

And what does this have to do with TLOU?
Of course, "the map will be bigger". Well, sure, everything will be bigger, like, a lot more bigger.

Soooooo, this is the question. Will ND know how to mantain a good pace, with no filler map traversal showcasing?

Well, my prediction is... NOPE.

I think that the main ND team likes to showcase narrative and art in sacrifice of pace. Of course it may change, but having U4 received such praise, I highly doubt it.

ND are very talented. No deniel there. But I think game length is a real pressure and expectation from the media, and unless they came up with a very lengthy story, we will have lots of fillers for sure.

So this makes me keep my expectations in check, and I think that is for the better.

HarryKS

I'm almost certain those are concerns that are brought up in the prototype phase of building a game...

theHFIC

I hope they stagger the release of the PS5 version until 2021 so that The Last of Us 2 is eligible for unanimous Game of the Year awards for 2020 and 2021.

Ryu Kaiba

A first party studio with over 30 years experience, the crown jewel of Sony computer entertainment the frontrunner of the games industry and developer of some of the most highly acclaimed games ever making Sony's highest anticipated first party game to date.

Guy on Neogaf: "It's bigger like final fantasy XIII so it's probably gonna suck"

June

I share this worry too, especially since soooo many games these days hurt themselves by going bigger.

But honestly, the first game was so damn good that I'm confident they know well enough to not mess it up. The gameplay that's been released so far looks good to me and not too "wide".

Uncharted is different because that series never had good gameplay anyway, so the disaster of 4 was like whatever to me. Anyway that game's biggest problem was the pacing of the entire thing with the abundance of cutscenes and walking everywhere, not necessarily the gameplay.

Last edited:

Generic

FF XIII maps where like 10 times bigger than X ones, and plagued with endless battles, to the level of feeling almost like a battle game with a story behind, instead of a story with battles.
Is this a bad thing?

Btw the problem of Uncharted started with the second game when everyone praised it for being cinematic. 3 and 4 were just the continuation of that.

I've been recently replaying FF 13 and Uncharted Remastered Collection, so this thought came to my mind:

And why?

Well, I think everyone who played those franchises know what I'm talking about, but let me explain.

There's this debate where some people compares FF XIII corridors / linearity fo FF X, like if it had the same effect.
Yeah, of course, it's the same to stay 2 minutes in an elevator that staying 30, right?

SE wanted top take advantage of the PS3 power, make everything bigger, messed up the pace.

Then we have Uncharted.
Uncharted 1-3, were really focused and most of climbing was to solve puzzles inside a 'small' area, and world traversal was very bearable, with enough variety of platforming sections and combat encounters.
But you know, Uncharted 4 came. With bigger maps. A lot of map traversal and lots and lots of climbing.

Of course, "the map will be bigger". Well, sure, everything will be bigger, like, a lot more bigger.

Soooooo, this is the question. Will ND know how to mantain a good pace, with no filler map traversal showcasing?

I think that the main ND team likes to showcase narrative and art in sacrifice of pace. Of course it may change, but having U4 received such praise, I highly doubt it.

ND are very talented. No deniel there. But I think game length is a real pressure and expectation from the media, and unless they came up with a very lengthy story, we will have lots of fillers for sure.

So this makes me keep my expectations in check, and I think that is for the better.
FF13>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF10, the linear gameplay is what made FF10 so bad, I thought it was absolute trash.

Banned
the gameplay may suck because literally all their games's gameplay suck.

extremely dumbed down puzzles, extremely dumbed down platforming and generic as fuck third person gunplay and stealth.

that's their games in a nutshell.

all show, zero substance

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
A lot of talk about this game recently. I think it has room to improve but more than likely not in the way that you'll want.

extremely dumbed down puzzles, extremely dumbed down platforming and generic as fuck third person gunplay and stealth.

all show, zero substance
Has to be like this for mass appeal though, the average normie doesn't wanna use their brain. They just want AMC's The Walking Dead with crafting mechanics.

As long as the writing improves and the gameplay is a step up then I'm good. TLOU is so barren of emotion it's fucking scary, no one can be honest with each other.

joe_zazen

A lot of talk about this game recently. I think it has room to improve but more than likely not in the way that you'll want.

Has to be like this for mass appeal though, the average normie doesn't wanna use their brain. They just want AMC's The Walking Dead with crafting mechanics.

As long as the writing improves and the gameplay is a step up then I'm good. TLOU is so barren of emotion it's fucking scary, no one can be honest with each other.

did you play tlou dlc?

FMXVII

And that's just the fanbase!

FMXVII

Why would you intentionally slow the battles down? Swapping between roles and mowing down enemies in seconds was so smooth.

Dunno.

I guess I like strategy and role playing, in my RPGs.

FFXIII was an interesting take on Guitar Hero I'll grant you.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
did you play tlou dlc?
Yes and for an apparent budding romance that never came to be it was written rather poorly, I expected better. I wanted to be shocked instead it tries to be overly adult when they are still children. Sure it's a world where you gotta grow up fast but damn...

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Dunno.

I guess I like strategy and role playing, in my RPGs.

FFXIII was an interesting take on Guitar Hero I'll grant you.

Autobattle slowed the game down, if you were good at knowing the roles and weaknesses of enemies the battle system was a blast.

GymWolf

Ah the famous mediocre gameplay of tlou1

tumblr_pir7dngpc91r1n4cvo2_500.gifv

joe_zazen

Autobattle slowed the game down, if you were good at knowing the roles and weaknesses of enemies the battle system was a blast.

it was great fun, i wish that the game didnt become a stupid hate meme as there was a lot of great stuff they could have built on, but it looks like ff has transitioned to arpg, well single player anyway.

still looks boring and stiff compared to other, better games. But to each their own.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned

And why?

Then we have Uncharted.

the problem with this theory is the (semi-)open maps in Uncharted Lost Legacy are good and satisfy most of what makes Uncharted good as a series (exploration, puzzle solving, "traversal", fluid combat with semi stealth). Elements of design seem to matter more than anything else, although I agree that the tendency towards bigger = better can be problematic if it gets in the way of some of what made the series good in the first place (tight story, snappy dialogue, carefully designed encounters)

GymWolf

it was great fun, i wish that the game didnt become a stupid hate meme as there was a lot of great stuff they could have built on, but it looks like ff has transitioned to arpg, well single player anyway.

still looks boring compared to other, better games. But to each their own.
Maybe because it's a semi-realistic tps and not something like gears or vanquish?

It's a matter of taste, i like weighty movements, punchy gunplay and the meaty animated melee in tps a lot.
As a matter of fact, max payne 3 and tlou are probably my favourite tps of the last gen.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

tumblr_pir7dngpc91r1n4cvo2_500.gifv

Big brain tactics from having put a couple hundred hours into the game. I will admit I was impressed by the Bloater's leg being blown off but this game isn't as easily as responsive as this video is showcasing. You can't just pick the game up and do this. I'm on NG++ rn on Normal and may go higher in difficulty, switching weapons out to kill is lowkey fun.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No, in the TLOU2 it looks like they have expanded apon TLOU1 gameplay and it looks better for it.

Fbh

As someone who really liked the gameplay in TLOU1, more than the size my worry is Druckmann. He already took the "story above everything" approach with Uncharted 4 and after all the praise TLOU1 got for its story I worry he will push that aspect even harder

I stopped playing the first one because I hated the game-play. And I adore stealth games. The level designs were unimaginative in my opinion. If you saw a plank you knew you were going to use it to walk over something. Rafts were obviously rafts. I remember that level just before the high school gymnasium where you turn a corner and suddenly there were all this highway dividers all pointing in one direction. It was obvious that combat was about to happen and exactly which direction it was coming from. I never understood why people enjoyed the game so much.

The cutscenes were well done though. But that's not enough to keep me playing a game.

Whitecrow

Banned
Is this a bad thing?

Btw the problem of Uncharted started with the second game when everyone praised it for being cinematic. 3 and 4 were just the continuation of that.
Well, if you play a game for its story, and the story takes forever to be told... then yes
FF13>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF10, the linear gameplay is what made FF10 so bad, I thought it was absolute trash.
Well, we cant disagree more I think : )

all show, zero substance
Very interesting take on this hahaha, and have some truth also.
I wouldnt say all gameplay sucked, but surely it's not the strong point of their post Jak games.

As someone who really liked the gameplay in TLOU1, more than the size my worry is Druckmann. He already took the "story above everything" approach with Uncharted 4 and after all the praise TLOU1 got for its story I worry he will push that aspect even harder

Yeah, basically my opinion also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

DESTROYA

Why not actually play the game before saying “it may suck”.
Worrying something is going to be bad is very silly and makes no sense when you have no idea how its going to play to begin with. If you feel that way after playing the game then your opinion has some value.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The guns look punchier and sound better, prone improves stealth possibilities, the dogs will keep you moving along with enemies being smarter and the melee system is the best in any 3rd person shooter

The gameplay looks fantastic

MiguelItUp

Honestly the gameplay for me in TLOU was pretty damn linear, and that was after following it for so long. I guess I just expected it to be more advanced than it was.

In the long run the gameplay was fine, but the characters, music, story, that's all what made it really shine IMO. So it made it SO easy to complete.

I think it's safe to expect a decent number of gameplay improvement in TLOU2, hell, even the smallest amount will make me really appreciate it as a sequel. Lord knows the story, characters, and music will be there just as it was in the previous game.

Hobbygaming

🤔 TLOU has some of the best writing and performances in video games

Hobbygaming

And why?

Then we have Uncharted.

Uncharted 4 is amazing

Top Bottom