• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm back again, talking about CGi level graphics !

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Except there was nothing wrong with the gameplay, the gunplay was both more engaging and fun than Uncharted 1, yet UC1 got a pass and spawned a long running series yet The Order had to stop at 1, not fair.

I loved the concept behind The Order and felt it deserved another chance.

But the gunplay was nothing special, it was just a simple cover based shooter. Outside of that the game was entirely QTE moments, devoid of any real gameplay. I don’t think you could possibly make a battle against werewolves any less interesting, than what we had with The Order.

It’s much more shallow than Uncharted.

Last edited:
Worst move by sony ever. Such a good base to make a sequal.
This is about the time after the game when Sony's well started to run dry, The Order felt in spirit like the return of the best Sony of the PS1, PS2 and PSP days, but since then almost nothing has given me that same kind of vibe.

Uncharted 4 is when you start see the woke elements creeping in, though it was not enough to ruin the game, but the Woke was enough to ruin Last of us 2 and Spider-Man 2, it just flat out spoils the games entirely.

I loved the concept behind The Order and felt it deserved another chance.

But the gunplay was nothing special, it was just a simple cover based shooter. Outside of that the game was entirely QTE moments, devoid of any real gameplay. I don’t think you could possibly make a battle against werewolves any less interesting, than what we had with The Order.

It’s much more shallow than Uncharted.
It was a cover based shooter, but what set it apart was the alt history weapon, like the thermite gun was a pretty unique concept I haven't really seen anywhere else.

In Uncharted 1 meanwhile every gun was just a generic modern firearm, it's literally not possible for a cover based shooter to be more generic than Uncharted 1 was, though people gave it a pass simply because it was still a new style at the time.

By the time of The Order ten years later "cover shooters are bad" had become a meme even though The Order was doing what people said they wanted it to do and mixing things up a bit, but memes matter more than reality in today's social media world.

"The Order can be beaten in one sitting!" meanwhile it took me 4 full nights of playing, one night longer than Uncharted 1 took me, "it's just a generic cover shooter!" meanwhile it has unique weaponry and a setting unlike anything ever seen before or since, which should have been enough to make it stand apart, but once these memes got out there and spread around, it was game over, even though they were based on half truths.

I do agree the werewolf fights should have been more than just QTEs, looking at that upcoming Hellblade II makes me both long for an Order 2 and seems to show you can a cinematic game with more actual melee combat, but people treated the first game unfairly, so it was never even given a chance to improve things like that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In Uncharted 1 meanwhile every gun was just a generic modern firearm, it's literally not possible for a cover based shooter to be more generic than Uncharted 1 was, though people gave it a pass simply because it was still a new style at the time.

It’s quite possible that my memory of Uncharted games is blending, but one positive I can say is that the game threw a couple different types of enemies during fights. Those enemies required different tactics, which at least made it a step better than mindless cover shooters like Gears of War. I completed Order back when it released, and I just don’t remember anything special about the enemies you shot at? No one required a different strategy.
Now that’s something we’d need in a sequel. Some variety and less QTE. Graphically the game was astonishing. Evil West is the closest to that concept and a deeper game mechanically. you might want to check it out. The werewolves look better too.

Last edited:
It’s quite possible that my memory of Uncharted games is blending, but one positive I can say is that the game threw a couple different types of enemies during fights. Those enemies required different tactics, which at least made it a step better than mindless cover shooters like Gears of War. I completed Order back when it released, and I just don’t remember anything special about the enemies you shot at? No one required a different strategy.
Now that’s something we’d need in a sequel. Some variety and less QTE. Graphically the game was astonishing. Evil West is the closest to that concept and a deeper game mechanically. you might want to check it out. The werewolves look better too.
I think your memory is a bit spotty, having played The Order as recently as 2018 and Uncharted 1 as recently as 2019, the enemies require no real tactics in Uncharted 1, you point and shoot at them basically.

The Order has deeper cover shooting, but by that point it was a meme to hate that genre of game.

The vast majority of games and it's been this way for a long time, are judged via memes and not a more nuanced view of the actual game, The Order 1886 chapped asses because there's a taboo in gaming culture about using graphics alone as a selling point (these same people will then in the same breath say how they hate how the graphical leap with the current gen isn't higher) so it had a target on it's back from day 1 for that reason.

Now they bloat games with tons of endless "complete X number of task" busywork just so they can avoid that meme of "the Order can be beaten in one sitting!" as if all that shit makes a game more fun, to me The Order not having any filler is refreshing and exactly part of what I like about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom