• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm back again, talking about CGi level graphics !

HighPoly

Banned
Sure guys, I'm here today speaking you that we're already running PSONE/PS2, and Toy Story 1 and 2, CGi level graphics, right now!

But, there's something about next gen graphics, maybe UE6, when all those assets from UE5 reach the maximum!!!
Well, I don't think PS5 will do this, and PS5 PRO, just a little bit.

Well, Today games are looking so amazing, but anyway, I believe something like these trailers below, in real time, will be possible at the next Gen consoles!
PS360 CGi era !

I mean, we're running that same texture level, but geometry, hair, cloth physics are not !
Path Tracing maybe touch that level of lighting and shadows!

LET'S TALK GUYS ! ! !

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I think some games look significantly better than this already, the only thing these cgi trailers do better is animations, which are piss poor even in the highest budget games in comparison to cgi.
Its unlikely to change any time soon since animations cannot be showcased in the store page screenshots.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Jxe2yrX.gif

Vick

Next Gen we'll be there consistently and from multiple studios.

giphy.gif

rQWb1Ow.gif

RoboCop already runs at 60fps on Consoles with this kind of visual fidelity.

We really only need more Devs mastering animations/motion matching as Naughty Dog does and we're done.

H9arRiP.gif

HighPoly

Banned
Next Gen we'll be there consistently and from multiple studios.

giphy.gif

rQWb1Ow.gif

RoboCop already runs at 60fps on Consoles with this kind of visual fidelity.

We really only need more Devs mastering animations/motion matching as Naughty Dog does and we're done.

H9arRiP.gif

sure!!

Matrix is perfect, but there are some diferences between Cutscenes and Real Time gameplay...
As you can see when Neo make his speech at the intro!

I believe to see and play a real CGi level graphics at the same Matrix Tech Demo level, or even better on next gen consoles!!!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean, we're running that same texture level, but geometry, hair, cloth physics are not !
This stuff much easier on CG because they never have to worry about game system, players and frame rate....they have full control, will show only what they want you to see.

HighPoly

Banned
This stuff much easier on CG because they never have to worry about game system, players and frame rate....they have full control, will show only what they want you to see.

All those things are amazing for starting next gen games...

I mean, take a look at what Silent Hill 2 and MGS3 Remake will look like!

I don't wanna be fool, but I think next gen consoles will finally touch the ps360 CGi level in real time...
Remember, CGi made between 2006 to 2012...

We can expect something so far ahead in 2027/2028 hardware, in real time...
PS6 will make 50 Teraflops? or even a little bit more?

Leakers are saying PS5 PRO will target 23 Teraflops... But only to make native 4k and 60fps sometimes, with the same games...

PS360 were less than 1 Teraflop at the time, JESUS!

Last edited:

MCplayer

Wait for GTA6, Gears of war 6, Gran turismo 8 and next naughty dog game, then you can predict the future.

Alan wake 2 already gave us good hope

Last edited:

Xtib81

We won't reach CGI level before another 10 years, at least on consoles. PC will get there sooner.

Last edited:

SimTourist

The cool thing about creatives is that they’re constantly driven to prove us wrong.

Eventually, whether it takes years or decades, it will happen.
The limiting factor at this point is money. Something like Mortal Kombat should be approaching old CGI, small arena and 2 characters, should be piss easy but we're not seeing that. For larger scope games it's even more out of reach.

blue velvet

Sure guys, I'm here today speaking you that we're already running PSONE/PS2, and Toy Story 1 and 2, CGi level graphics, right now!

But, there's something about next gen graphics, maybe UE6, when all those assets from UE5 reach the maximum!!!
Well, I don't think PS5 will do this, and PS5 PRO, just a little bit.

Well, Today games are looking so amazing, but anyway, I believe something like these trailers below, in real time, will be possible at the next Gen consoles!
PS360 CGi era !

LET'S TALK GUYS ! ! !

My main issue with real time graphics will always be aliasing. Even if you downscale a game from 8k to 1080p and use the best anti aliasing solution there is, there will still be shimmering, ghosting, and other artefacts that can ruin the image. A still image of a game can look good but once you start moving the consistency breaks apart.

Last edited:

Aces High

H9arRiP.gif
Looks amazing, but the input lag of games with cinematic animations is crazy high nowadays.

A game like Uncharted is spectacular enough to offset the reduced playability, but most modern games are not imho.

Looks amazing, but the input lag of games with cinematic animations is crazy high nowadays.

A game like Uncharted is spectacular enough to offset the reduced playability, but most modern games are not imho.
I still hate to remember how Uncharted has the best gameplay of the series and yet the worst multiplayer...

Vick

Yep, that's exactly why I hope more studios would put efforts in mastering this kind of tech instead of simply going the Rockstar route of perfect looking animations featuring extreme latency/lack of control/impaired visual feedback.
Or its exact opposite, responsive and instant QTE-like input giving you no control for the in-between subtle animations.

Thanks to Engines such as UE5, as Rogue City already shown, graphics are really going to be photorealistic next-gen so responsive good looking animations is basically all that's left to achieve that "CGI feel". Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy still being my favorite analog stick controlling third person games after 7 years is sad and embarassing.
Fascinating we were just discussing this a week ago or so:

It's not just animations but visual feedback to me.

I wouldn't say ND games animations are better than say Rockstar's RDR2 for instance, at all, but they feel a million times more responsive/player driven and that makes all the difference in making you feel you're really into that world.
This is the reason I preferred Spyro to Crash in those days, but ever since the first Jak that's been one of the most important factors for Naughty Dog.

You feel in complete control of your characters little movements analog stick in hand, whereas Spider-Man or Ryse are QTE-like in this sense.

Of course the fact games like Uncharted and TLOU also have to work perfectly as competitive multiplayer titles plays a huge role in this, but I'm sure this level of motion blending on the fly doesn't come for free in terms of resources.

Again, personal preferences, but knowing how this feels to control while looking as seamless as it does, makes it better than the rest.

i prefer better AI and physics.
Why not both.gif

The limiting factor at this point is money. Something like Mortal Kombat should be approaching old CGI, small arena and 2 characters, should be piss easy but we're not seeing that. For larger scope games it's even more out of reach.
I think the limiting factor right now is power. More specifically, graphical and processing power, as it has been the limiting factor every generation. Eventually things will keep advancing as they’ve always have. Regarding budget it’s very clear that AI is going to serve a huge purpose going forward in terms of streamlining quite a few processes. The fact that we went from seeing the concept of ray tracing back in it’s inception to actually being able to use a version of it in games should be indicative of the fact that eventually, whether years or decades, developers will be able to reach those modern day ‘impossibles’.

magnumpy

video games still have a ways to go. they will easily require at least a decade of additional development before they reach anything close to real time photo realism IMHO. and even that is assuming things go very very well... D:

I would argue that Last of Us 2 is already there in many aspects.

Though, that game was done without any RTGI tech.

Add some of that into a Naughty Dog's next title and we've achieved it.

Even Spiderman is pretty close in certain lighting, especially screenshots. Horizon as well.

My main issue with real time graphics will always be aliasing. Even if you downscale a game from 8k to 1080p and use the best anti aliasing solution there is, there will still be shimmering, ghosting, and other artefacts that can ruin the image. A still image of a game can look good but once you start moving the consistency breaks apart.
The original Toy Story used far lower resolution than 4k and IIRC it downsampled from far less than 8k. And not a jaggy in sight.

While ground-breaking, it's worth remembering that Toy Story was rendered at only 1,536 x 922 pixels - that's a third fewer pixels than a full HD (1080p) resolution and a fraction of what 4K can achieve.-tech radar

Today games with 4k and DLAA are basically as clean an image as you can get

I still hate to remember how Uncharted has the best gameplay of the series and yet the worst multiplayer...
Uncharted 2 was the ONLY good multiplayer in the series. No perks, killstreaks, custom loadouts, just spawn with an AK-47 with the goal of finding an FAL, M4, Dragonov, Grenade Laucnher, Desert Eagle, etc.

It was simple and funny as shit.

Last edited:

Vick

video games still have a ways to go. they will easily require at least a decade of additional development before they reach anything close to real time photo realism IMHO. and even that is assuming things go very very well... D:
I get the "IMHO", but isn't this a bit too harsh when we already have Rogue City running at 60fps on consoles?
That game is already more than "close" for long stretches of gameplay and it's a budget title with last gen character models and even more outdated facial animations.
Another gen and we'll be there, have faith in Unreal Engine 5 and RT when they are apparently delivering this from nobodies and unknown budget:

I'd say this would be easily called CGI a few years ago.

What we need, again, is fluid and realistic animations allowing the player to perform snappy, precise and player driven movements (like full control over the direction of a roll while in the middle of it, to say one) because otherwise it would look perfect but feel worse than decade old games, shattering the illusion:

jeFcjhf.gif

And maybe games that aren't artistically compromised in a way 99.9% of what we get today are, because otherwise why even bother..

I would argue that Last of Us 2 is already there in many aspects.

Though, that game was done without any RTGI tech.

Add some of that into a Naughty Dog's next title and we've achieved it.

Even Spiderman is pretty close in certain lighting, especially screenshots. Horizon as well.
As good as TLOU II heights are:

m6RhqF4.png

JQVNPzs.png

aVRdfKc.png

x7ywkGk.png

gTFIfY6.png

K7hiIuC.png

XQsPTQk.png

eIroJTS.png

Gb5HTKS.png

m17gmdK.png

bbF6iOo.png

bMNvtWX.png

EWT1zFC.png

N2b4G9A.png

nUBbcRE.png

CvyAMwY.png

All gameplay.

This is what OP is referring to:

And no, we ain't there yet as a whole at all. Maybe better in certain little things, but too distant in many others.

I get the "IMHO", but isn't this a bit too harsh when we already have Rogue City running at 60fps on consoles?
That game is already more than "close" for long stretches of gameplay and it's a budget title with last gen character models and even more outdated facial animations.
Another gen and we'll be there, have faith in Unreal Engine 5 and RT when they are apparently delivering this from nobodies and unknown budget:

What we need, again, is fluid and realistic animations allowing the player to perform snappy, precise and player driven movements (like full control over the direction of a roll while in the middle of it, to say one) because otherwise it would look perfect but feel worse than decade old games, shattering the illusion:

jeFcjhf.gif

And maybe games that aren't artistically compromised in a way 99.9% of what we get today are, because otherwise why even bother..

And no, we ain't there yet as a whole at all. Maybe better in certain little things, but too distant in many others.

I think we're pretty damn close. If Naughty Dog's next game uses RTGI and reflections it's going to blow minds. They are also the only dev that prioritizes water physics.

HighPoly

Banned

jeFcjhf.gif

Yes, sure!
We're gonna see what this generation will do, using the PS5/Series limits!!

No matter how far we go! The PS360 CGi Era in real time, is something for PS6 and the next Xbox...
I mean, maybe at the ending of the next gen, with some ND, Santa Monica or Sucker Punch game, using all their 50, 60 Teraflops...

blue velvet

The original Toy Story used far lower resolution than 4k and IIRC it downsampled from far less than 8k. And not a jaggy in sight.

Today games with 4k and DLAA are basically as clean an image as you can get

DLAA also suffers from trailing and ghosting. Obviously, it's not going to be noticeable on a youtube video produced by NVIDIA but when you actually render a game on your own screen all the artifacting will be more pronounced.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One thing that will always make a modern game look worse than any CGI render is the actual game has HUD and icons everywhere making it gamey, plus the game might have motion blur or vsync issues. Trailers never have that so everything looks clean and perfect.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are already there with ff16 and Death Stranding 2.
Some moments and scenes look downright CGI like. My fav is the girl in this first shot. Smooth lighting.
FVJWSI6.jpg

e8pPDep.jpg

vSZnjbT.jpg

X3dRzEG.jpg

DQOsDmI.jpg

9yyC7EC.jpg

And these Death Stranding shots are from my playthrough on ps4 slim.. not even pro
HC1oVfq.png

yUSymEz.png

HighPoly

Banned
We are already there with ff16 and Death Stranding 2.
Some moments and scenes look downright CGI like. My fav is the girl in this first shot. Smooth lighting.
FVJWSI6.jpg

e8pPDep.jpg

vSZnjbT.jpg

X3dRzEG.jpg

DQOsDmI.jpg

9yyC7EC.jpg

And these Death Stranding shots are from my playthrough on ps4 slim.. not even pro
HC1oVfq.png

yUSymEz.png

Sure! as I said, games today looks like PS2(2000's) CGi Era in real time gameplay...

I really want to see something breaking the edges and touching PS360 CGi Era(2006 ~ 2012)!!

I mean, something better than Horizon Forbidden West ! ! !

I don't know if it's possible to realease something better than Alan Wake 2, but maybe a ND or Santa Monica Game...
Anyway... I think the true poligonal jump making all those cloth and hair physics is a possible thing on the next gen consoles.

I hope for 50 Teraflops as a standard...

Lokaum D+

Sure! as I said, games today looks like PS2(2000's) CGi Era in real time gameplay...

I really want to see something breaking the edges and touching PS360 CGi Era(2006 ~ 2012)!!

I mean, something better than Horizon Forbidden West ! ! !

I don't know if it's possible to realease something better than Alan Wake 2, but maybe a ND or Santa Monica Game...
Anyway... I think the true poligonal jump making all those cloth and hair physics is a possible thing on the next gen consoles.

I hope for 50 Teraflops as a standard...
PS2 CGI

PS5 in engine cutscene

PS5 real time gameplay

u can even say that FFXVI is a mid FF and i ll agree, now say that the real time didnt surprass the PS2 era CGI is pure nonsense.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
PS2 CGI

PS5 in engine cutscene

PS5 real time gameplay

u can even say that FFXVI is a mid FF and i ll agree, now say that the real time didnt surprass the PS2 era CGI is pure nonsense.

I know I'm not doing the perfect math
The calculation is not an exaclty math, you know?

But considering the level of textures, particles and another elements running today, with the poligonal density and animations from PS2 CGi, yeah sure!
We're running CGi from 2000's era in gameplay...

The point in my mind is... when we'll get a game using all those elements in a unique rendering, in real time.
I mean!
A game with cloth physics so realistic in pair with Assassins Creed CGi level, and amazing textures, amazing hair, amazing lighting, Path tracing, whatever!!!

I hope for something like that, starting on the next gen consoles, I mean, not PS5 PRO, but the PS6, you know?
Like, 50 Teraflops, running maybe the UE6, around native 4k or sub 4k, as we play right now...

And I don't care about 30 or 60 fps, anyway... But a solid 30fps, with a good AA and a good resolution, is enough to me...

The point is, making better geometric elements, objetcs, with Path Tracing or some kind of a newer technologie, equivelent to Path tracing but cheaper to a single GPU run.
I think UE5 is able to run beautiful things, maybe CGi level, but not on consoles, not even the PS5 PRO yet!!!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Gonna need A LOT more exclamation points to convince me!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Still waiting for someone to re-think 2d graphics. Just think about how mortal combat and or narc blew people away.
Surely there is a new system that could generate a lifelike 2d image in 2023.
Someone just needs to think outside the "3d" game box.

Perrott

Gold Member
Suicide Squad's open-world running at native 4K (even better if downsampled from resolutions higher than that) with ultra settings + RT does look like CGI. Breathtaking visuals with zero pop-in.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Suicide Squad's open-world running at native 4K (better is downsampled from even higher resolutions) with ultra settings + RT does look like CGI. Breathtaking visuals with zero pop-in.
sure, but it depends on what kind of CGi
I mean, 2004/2005 CGi ? yeah, but PS360 Era is something challenging

SABRE220

I remember when devs were hyping us the next gen consoles to the heavens and selling us the pie where the visuals would come close to the assassins creed 2 cgi.... and the rebirth demo would be be surpassed quickly ...yeah maybe on the ps6 .

Last edited:
Top Bottom