• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox:"Console wars aren't worth your time – playing games is 💚"

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Right after the PlayStation showcase.
1aPzjYE.jpg
What tweet is happening tonight?

SenkiDala

MS being the most toxic "competitor" ever, with the most toxic community... (I still remember getting a Xbox One day one for Dead Rising 3 and then exchanging it for a PS4 a few months later to play inFamous SS, and other games, and being called "a traitor" by so called "friends" who were only playing on Xbox)

The French division of Xbox made an event with "Xbox <3 you" boats in Paris to "counter" the release even of the PS3...
xbox_boat.jpg

And now that they're done : "we're all friends <3", "congrats for Last of Us Part 2 our bros from Sony <3", "if we all play we all win" (bullshit when you stop the development of games like Starfield and Redfall on PS5 to make it exclusives)...

They're just losers who pretend "FairPlay" when they know they're losing. Give them 0.0000001% advantage in any gaming field and they'll shit on Sony and Nintendo right away.

Their recent "Coming soon on Xbox" troll right after a recent State of Play is the proof of all that. MS is toxicity incarnated.

Last edited:
Xbox division is a never ending circus.

Xbox, Phil and whatever execs never stop talking about their competitors.
Wouldn't allow ff14 on Xbox but cried to the hills about cross play Including their fanbase.

The never ending petty comments on social media. Followed by all the cringe,.pretend everyone plays we all win.

The Sony aren't our competitors, Google and Amazon are. Followed by crying in court how little they are and getting beaten by Sony.
Phil crying that nobody will buy their console even if they make good games.
Phil literally stating publicly he hates exclusives and wishes they didn't exist, while at the same time buying up the entire industry and complaining about honouring existing agreements.

Their executive team underoath never ending talking about Sony and outspending them out of the business.

Meanwhile Sony barely if ever talks about Xbox. That one time with the joke video over sharing games.

Crayon

Wouldn't allow ff14 on Xbox but cried to the hills about cross play Including their fanbase.

My god the crossplay thing was insufferable. That is what I'm talking about with talking points starting all at once and repeated to the point where they were deafening. Nobody gave a shit about crossplay till that moment. Nobody gave a shit about (partial) bc until boom, it was the most important feature and we heard about that shit bleated out for yeeeeaaaars. WE HAD A FUCKING 100 PAGE THREAD ABOUT AN HD BLURAY PLAYER BEING OF EXTREME IMPORTANCE.

TheShocker

Most of the time is not about money and more about the time. I only own PS5 and Switch and still very hard too keep up with amount of games coming out.

When we were kids we had all the time in world but lacked the money now we have the money not the time to play all games thats coming out.
I’m almost 39. With a 14 year old, an 11 year old, and an 11 month old. Full time job and all that stuff. I still greatly enjoy both consoles. And as a family we have a switch too. So I just think fanboying is dumb. But you are right it is a challenge to keep up with all the games.

Alan Wake

Sure, when we were 12 and the dynamics of internet crowd behavior could not even be imagined. Much less social media.

The reason they do this more than the other two is that they have been doing it harder and longer. Long before they ever cared about consoles.

Document I revealed that "FUD" (spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt) was a traditional Microsoft marketing strategy, acknowledged and understood internally. Examples of Microsoft's FUD tactics are announcing nonexistent products or spreading rumors that competing products will crash Windows.

AKA spreading rumors among useful idiots. Note how the internet dynamic forced them to rethink their strategy:

The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across the Internet is simply amazing. More importantly, OSS evangelization scales with the size of the Internet much faster than our own evangelization efforts appear to scale.

This is deeply ingrained in the company culture. I'll look at any evidence that it has stopped or slowed down, or anything other than simply adapting to the times in the face of my lying eyes.

That FUD thing is exactly what Sony did when they launched the PS2 (and prior to the launch), and I imagine it's common practice among many companies in many different areas so that's hardly something exclusive to Microsoft. As far as Xbox goes, despite the wealth of the company owning the brand, it's still sort of the underdog brand in the industry.

And that 2013 PlayStation E3 conference...? Not everything i "consoles warzz!!!", it's ways of promoting your brand at the expense of your competitors, and ususally the joke's on those who screw up and leave the goal open. Like Microsoft did there and then.

Your closing comment doesn't change the fact that more sales result in a larger installbase, leading to more incentive to release games on that specific platform.

That platform-agnosticism isn't any better than fanboyism. It's just a "mightier than thou" stance.
The reality is all console makers have been making billions in profits and we all know that 3rd party support looks to support all the main consoles, simply down to the cost of making games, so don't try and hide behind installbase.
Having the better selling system these days , tends to mean your platform will lead the game development and be the most optimised

Only 'fanboy' will bring up sales and especially make the point of a console selling 'double' the amount on its rival; Hey I miss the days when Mega Drive owners could highlight that point in the UK

Killjoy-NL

The reality is all console makers have been making billions in profits and we all know that 3rd party support looks to support all the main consoles, simply down to the cost of making games, so don't try and hide behind installbase.
Having the better selling system these days , tends to mean your platform will lead the game development and be the most optimised

Only 'fanboy' will bring up sales and especially make the point of a console selling 'double' the amount on its rival; Hey I miss the days when Mega Drive owners could highlight that point in the UK
Nothing you just said refutes what I said earlier.

Fanboys tend to ignore context. As do those claiming to be superior than 'fanboys' due tp their 'platform-agnosticism'.

Last edited:

Crayon

That FUD thing is exactly what Sony did when they launched the PS2 (and prior to the launch), and I imagine it's common practice among many companies in many different areas so that's hardly something exclusive to Microsoft. As far as Xbox goes, despite the wealth of the company owning the brand, it's still sort of the underdog brand in the industry.

And that 2013 PlayStation E3 conference...? Not everything i "consoles warzz!!!", it's ways of promoting your brand at the expense of your competitors, and ususally the joke's on those who screw up and leave the goal open. Like Microsoft did there and then.

I should say right off the bat that any company is going to have some dicks in marketing who want to do something underhanded to start a narrative. Microsoft, Google, Apple however are in the business of establishing and undermining standards on a huge scale. Designing waves of evangelism is something they do very seriously and persistently.

I don't know exactly what you're talking about with the PS2 did the dreamcast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume it's the old thing about the PlayStation 2 hype. I don't remember them saying much about the Dreamcast at that point. Look at the non-stop rumors about the upcoming PS5 being a disaster in every way. Did sony do that to dreamcast? No. Let me know if I'm forgetting something that is comparable to that.

You can say everybody does it, but then I'd ask if everyone does it in exactly equal amount. Ask if Sony and Nintendo in Microsoft all plant the same amount and the same kind of seeds in there fan bases. It seems much more likely that one would do it more, one would do it less, etc.

Last edited:
I sense some evangelism here. Ironically in this case you are the one that needs to go play some games. Or touch some grass.
SEGA Is my religion. I own and play plenty of games thank you and since I'm Welsh, I'm always playing in the Green Green Grass of home.

I just love people who make out they aren't fanboys, only to talk like one.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Post a Greenberg tweet instead, what you've posted is benign as fuck 🤷‍♂️

While doing 48 hours of exclusive blabla on your own show. No it deserves to be called out. And dont get me wrong making money can be a dirty job but at least try to not be this dishonest.

SenkiDala

I miss old Xbox
Same... On the OG Xbox they were perfect, trying to get as many IPs as they could, trying to get a large and varied library, trying to get Japanese exclusives as they could (Sega GT, Crimson Sea, JSRF, Panzer Dragon... etc), first half of the 360 was also glorious. Until then it was of course a matter of business but also of PASSION, for real. But then Kinect arrived and it was the start of the "fuck it we'll win this market, no matter what", fuck it to passion, sold most of their studios, shut down the others.

From that day they fucked up in almost every field (outside of back compat'). And they keep doing it.

They don't try anymore to understand the market, the players, what we want, they're not humble... I really hope that what will come from "their" studios will be good, Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, I'm looking forward to play them... But I've doubts. They don't have a vision, they just try to adapt to anything "new" and being the "could dudes" on that field. Like when they said nobody wanna play solo games anymore, and now they say the opposite. Like when they said that Rise of the Tomb Raider was a true exclusive, except it wasn't at all.

Even their "cloud gaming" shit isn't working at all. I like to do "rewards" and for some points I try to launch games through Cloud to go faster, but it always say something like "sorry there's a lot of player ahead of you" I wait 2, 5, 10 minutes and close it. It is not like I was paying for that service... Surprisingly it works perfectly well on any PS games I tried and it launched right away... And I've a 1gb up / 1gb down connexion. Anyway I'm getting off topic.

But yeah me too I miss the old Xbox so much.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’m almost 39. With a 14 year old, an 11 year old, and an 11 month old. Full time job and all that stuff. I still greatly enjoy both consoles. And as a family we have a switch too. So I just think fanboying is dumb. But you are right it is a challenge to keep up with all the games.
Did your vesectomy after your second child not work properly? That’s a big gap 😂

This is only a joke, please don’t take it seriously. I need to book myself in so I don’t accidentally end up with a 3rd and am unable to preorder a PS6 in a few years 😂

Last edited:

Fredrik

If my IRL friends didn't play on Xbox I'd rarely turn on my XSX outside of the odd time every few months that something actually interesting shows up on Gamepass.
Is it any different on other platforms?
What are you playing?

It’s the same on all platforms for me. As far as I’m concerned no platform is enough in isolation, it’s why I dip my toes everywhere, all platforms have slow periods when I barely even touch them.

And few games make me drop any bigger amount of hours, most games just come and go. The only games I’ve spent 50+ hours on this year is Zelda TOTK and Starfield. Last year there was only one, Elden Ring.

Top Bottom