• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox:"Console wars aren't worth your time – playing games is 💚"

mansoor1980

Gold Member
What are his console war pronouns?
microsoftgamingglt-118.large.jpg

Says the guys that literally do podcasts with the most toxic fanboys out there and execs who talk shit about the competition. Look at some of the shit that has come out from the Activision case from the likes of Phil spencer and matt booty. Then there's greenberg, who seems to do nothing but console war and gets to keep his job because one of the higher ups must be related to him.

marjo

When I first read the thread title, my brain didn't register the word 'war', which completely changed the intent of the message in a somewhat humorous way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Says the guys that literally do podcasts with the most toxic fanboys out there and execs who talk shit about the competition. Look at some of the shit that has come out from the Activision case from the likes of Phil spencer and matt booty. Then there's greenberg, who seems to do nothing but console war and gets to keep his job because one of the higher ups must be related to him.
It's because it comes from those above him. He's a product of their culture and strategy there, he's not a "loose cannon."

Gojiira

Mate April Fools was months ago…
Xbox really are the most pathetic example of a hypocrite, are we just supposed to forget how often and how hard they fan the flames? Fuck off Fill, maybe go at least a generation with some actual games then you can start changing public perception.

Knightime_X

It's only warring when you actively keep 3rd party games away from other consoles by paying them for exclusivity.
1st party and 3rd that decides on their own is fair game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I left the console war permanently when the Dreamcast died in 2001. But I still have to make a choice as a consumer. I'm not interested in owning all of the consoles.

graywolf323

You sure?

hkxh1AT.png

aaHCZrq.png

It’s been such a weird month with him only just returning from the latest ban today 🤪
Ok... I tried to not say anything but I couldn't hold it in anymore.

Am I the only one who is bugged the hell out by a heart having a green color? Anything other than a red heart just seems... strange to me.
it almost looks sickly? 🤔

/s

Topher

Gold Member
Chief and XCapim (Xgrass), members of Xbox Milgrau (Thousand Degree) along with Microsoft executives. Xbox Milgrau was the most toxic channel that ever existed, even losing several lawsuits for slander and defamation. They attacked minorities, insulted women, and rallied their online gang to launch attacks against people they didn't like. They even ran a campaign to spoil The Last of Us 2 at launch.

They did this for years.

Do you know when Microsoft cut ties? It was when they made (another) racist joke, but this time it was during the George Floyd protests.

Everyone started messaging Microsoft, asking if they weren't going to do anything, and Phil immediately realized it would look very bad.

jbtPoWi.png
z3iW1ZE.jpg

Sources concerned about Xbox Mil Grau told Motherboard that over the past few years, the channel rose to prominence by harnessing the toxicity fueled by console wars.

"They started as every gamergater did: harassing people under the 'ethics in game journalism' flag," a Brazilian journalist, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of repercussions, told Motherboard over email. This person has worked in video game journalism since 2014, and said they watched Xbox Mil Grau rise to popularity through smears and attacks.

"They did that by exposing journalists and popular YouTubers that disliked or gave low review scores for Xbox games," the source said. "When journalists started making their accounts private, they just went for plain harassment instead. Needless to say, but the harassment was even worse when they attacked female journalists."

Bruna Penilhas, a video game journalist in Brazil, told Motherboard that in addition to the abuses she suffered from Mil Grau online, which was "hell for many days," they also took their harassment offline.

"At the [Brazilian Game Show], which is like the Brazilian E3, he and his followers came to our booth with posters accusing us of several false things," Penilhas said over Twitter direct messages. "When I recorded a video at the Xbox booth, they tried to sabotage and appear in the background. At the same event, he had the opportunity to take the stage of an Xbox Brazil presentation and talk to Phil Spencer. In 2018, Mixer took them to E3. It was always very frustrating for me and my colleagues, because nothing was done."

"In mid-2018, a few weeks before E3, the new head of Xbox in Brazil, Bruno Lobo Motta, visited some video game outlet newsrooms, including ours, to meet the press and inevitably we talked about Xbox Mil Grau," the source said. "Mr. Motta assured us that they warned the global Mixer office about Xbox Mil Grau's offensive behavior and we didn't need to worry about [the channel] at E3. Shortly after E3, they left Mixer and went to Twitch, but I'm not sure this is related to changes in their relationship with Mixer itself. However, at some level, Microsoft's global offices were aware of these guys since 2017, but still allowed him to use his brand."

Matthew Broderick GIF

Alan Wake

Yes it absolutely is. They know what their fandom is going to get the message and go run with it. "The line is that the show sucked and all the games are on Xbox, guys. Go repeat it non stop everywhere you can."

Seriously, try to notice whenever something is being repeated like a noise machine. Especially when it all starts at once. That should raise an eyebrow. This tweet is actually a totally overt case of it. Most the time it's disseminated through influencers and this fanbase falls in line like no other.
This is what console wars looked like.

TJfHimd.jpg

Crayon

This is what console wars looked like.

TJfHimd.jpg

Sure, when we were 12 and the dynamics of internet crowd behavior could not even be imagined. Much less social media.

The reason they do this more than the other two is that they have been doing it harder and longer. Long before they ever cared about consoles.

Document I revealed that "FUD" (spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt) was a traditional Microsoft marketing strategy, acknowledged and understood internally. Examples of Microsoft's FUD tactics are announcing nonexistent products or spreading rumors that competing products will crash Windows.

AKA spreading rumors among useful idiots. Note how the internet dynamic forced them to rethink their strategy:

The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across the Internet is simply amazing. More importantly, OSS evangelization scales with the size of the Internet much faster than our own evangelization efforts appear to scale.

This is deeply ingrained in the company culture. I'll look at any evidence that it has stopped or slowed down, or anything other than simply adapting to the times in the face of my lying eyes.

Top Bottom