• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox:"Console wars aren't worth your time – playing games is 💚"

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yeah, I know, just didn’t want to get sucked in too much to a pointless argument resisting the march of time :messenger_beaming:

Look at the recent craziness, where people are now equating Microsoft with events in Hiroshima - way too invested…

Exclusivity is a massive weight around the neck of growth in the gaming industry, and console wars dampen the excitement of its biggest moments - cases in point, the recent releases of Starfield and Ragnarok, both of which were soiled by rampant downplaying and shitposting from people who had never played either of them.
1BL7yt8.jpg

I mixed up the original Direct X and Xbox codenames. Still Microsoft. The reason for the codename is correct so I anticipate your apology.

Kind Regards
Dick Jones

Thirty7ven

Banned
Aaron Greenberg got promoted relatively recently. Think on that one too. Promoted not fired out of a cannon

To be fair he’s probably one of the main responsible people for Xbox even being in the conversation online. How you’re going to explain the amount of ride or die social media warriors for a brand with an extremely poor identity and a much smaller userbase and momentum than the others?

It’s all social media that isn’t reflected on anything else. Shit their fanboys have been on a third party software diet for a decade. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited:
It's like a Football club telling its fans not to sing a silly nasty chant or not to boo the English national anthem, it's not going to happen, but the PR dept of the club feels they have to do it
Still, SONY fans love to give it, not so quick to take it back; In so many ways like the typical Liverpool football fan.

I remember when us Spectrum fans in school made fun of the sole C64 owner and called him 'Billy no mates' LOL.
Did it come through or blend into the background?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Xbox you dont want war???

Well.....

Playstation wants WAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Klayzer

Imagine if it were them with the 20 million+ lead. You think Kumbaya would be the current song playing in their Teslas?
Look no further than early to mid 360 Xbox PR. Constant chest thumping every monthly NPD, Twitter console war baiting by Aaron, etc. That's what you can expect.

To be fair, the Sony guys were provoking Xbox nation with the RROD memes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look no further than early to mid 360 Xbox PR. Constant chest thumping every monthly NPD, Twitter console war baiting by Aaron, etc. That's what you can expect.

To be fair, the Sony guys were provoking Xbox nation with the RROD memes.
Executives weren't. That's a key difference.

These twitter posts by MS in the OP are hallow. It's gaslighting gamers.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well yeah, MS would be great for the industry and we would like it...if they were. They're just...not. We like to think that after a fuck up they learned a lesson and will come back better next time. History has shown us all they do is spend harder. They've done utterly nothing to demonstrate they will manage all these studios well and written a giant tome on how it will probably be a disaster.

The best they do is fool people into thinking they are a neutral party while in fact they are a cancer that ruins good studios and achieve mediocrity by burning massive amounts of money. The best thing they did to get me is their controller, I don't like the analog position on PS but it comes down to convenience of console experience on TV with my preferred gamepad without having to plug my laptop in. By the time I run out of Gamepass next year we should know what's up with the PS5 redesign. MS had their chance to woo me and they blew it
Also, MS now owns franchises like Doom, Dishonored, Fallout. I so badly want a Fallout 3 remaster and New Vegas. These are such easy wins for MS and they don't take them. Nobody would object to a package of these games.
They should be commissioning development of games in those franchises.

I still want to know why Doom 2016 hasn't been put on PC Gamepass!

BlackTron

Also, MS now owns franchises like Doom, Dishonored, Fallout. I so badly want a Fallout 3 remaster and New Vegas. These are such easy wins for MS and they don't take them. Nobody would object to a package of these games.
They should be commissioning development of games in those franchises.

I still want to know why Doom 2016 hasn't been put on PC Gamepass!

It would make sense for Doom to be on GP but it never registered for me because I have long since owned the game on PC. I'm far more interested in where they are taking new games than old ones. Yeah we know MS is the King of BC and old games...so much the king we express surprise when they don't have this old game because its their specialty to buy shit and throw it on gamepass

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everybody knows there’s a console war, Microsoft’s issue is halo is late to open world, gears is talented but you could argue it’s going down the shitter with gears 4, 5 being a disappointment, and Xbox accessories have been a train wreck. If Xbox makes halo better, actually has good accessories, makes xbox live free they could actually win the console war.

bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
MS-Xbox is the company that most actively promotes the console war through its media terminals (Tom Warren, Jez Corden and its magazines, etc...), Spencer with its references to Sony or Greenberg and its army of PRs on Twitter, The best thing they could do is keep quiet because they couldn't be more hypocritical and cynical.

PbAlvGD.jpg
What's not pictured here is the stacks of gamepass ultimate they would hand out at these luncheons

Phil and Ybarra would attend these types of gatherings to rally the troops and attend ones with just a group of people they game with and not hand out free crap

Killjoy-NL

A fanboy copout.

The reality is all systems are making their platform holders profits
Your closing comment doesn't change the fact that more sales result in a larger installbase, leading to more incentive to release games on that specific platform.

That platform-agnosticism isn't any better than fanboyism. It's just a "mightier than thou" stance.

K2D

Banned
So, what..? Are they alluding to that Starfield has been under attack from console warring fanboys and not just, you know, not being as good as Fallout* or Skyrim, or still being as janky as ever?

*I love the Fallout series but I'm still disappointed by Bethesda's execution and their watering down.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Hypocrites. Xbox and their team of influencers are the most toxic when it comes to console wars. Not long ago, there was a slate of copy pasted astroturf tweets about Starfield making them want to sell their non-existent PS5s for the game. These people are the only ones to every explicitly mention console wars as well, while Nintendo and Sony carry on making great games.

Chief and XCapim (Xgrass), members of Xbox Milgrau (Thousand Degree) along with Microsoft executives. Xbox Milgrau was the most toxic channel that ever existed, even losing several lawsuits for slander and defamation. They attacked minorities, insulted women, and rallied their online gang to launch attacks against people they didn't like. They even ran a campaign to spoil The Last of Us 2 at launch.

They did this for years.

Do you know when Microsoft cut ties? It was when they made (another) racist joke, but this time it was during the George Floyd protests.

Everyone started messaging Microsoft, asking if they weren't going to do anything, and Phil immediately realized it would look very bad.

jbtPoWi.png
z3iW1ZE.jpg

Sources concerned about Xbox Mil Grau told Motherboard that over the past few years, the channel rose to prominence by harnessing the toxicity fueled by console wars.

"They started as every gamergater did: harassing people under the 'ethics in game journalism' flag," a Brazilian journalist, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of repercussions, told Motherboard over email. This person has worked in video game journalism since 2014, and said they watched Xbox Mil Grau rise to popularity through smears and attacks.

"They did that by exposing journalists and popular YouTubers that disliked or gave low review scores for Xbox games," the source said. "When journalists started making their accounts private, they just went for plain harassment instead. Needless to say, but the harassment was even worse when they attacked female journalists."

Bruna Penilhas, a video game journalist in Brazil, told Motherboard that in addition to the abuses she suffered from Mil Grau online, which was "hell for many days," they also took their harassment offline.

"At the [Brazilian Game Show], which is like the Brazilian E3, he and his followers came to our booth with posters accusing us of several false things," Penilhas said over Twitter direct messages. "When I recorded a video at the Xbox booth, they tried to sabotage and appear in the background. At the same event, he had the opportunity to take the stage of an Xbox Brazil presentation and talk to Phil Spencer. In 2018, Mixer took them to E3. It was always very frustrating for me and my colleagues, because nothing was done."

"In mid-2018, a few weeks before E3, the new head of Xbox in Brazil, Bruno Lobo Motta, visited some video game outlet newsrooms, including ours, to meet the press and inevitably we talked about Xbox Mil Grau," the source said. "Mr. Motta assured us that they warned the global Mixer office about Xbox Mil Grau's offensive behavior and we didn't need to worry about [the channel] at E3. Shortly after E3, they left Mixer and went to Twitch, but I'm not sure this is related to changes in their relationship with Mixer itself. However, at some level, Microsoft's global offices were aware of these guys since 2017, but still allowed him to use his brand."

Last edited:

Sanepar

For me the worst part of fanboys is how they defend these companies. Guys they charge you for everything. They want your money they are not your friend, they don't care about u. Don't defend them. Don't be stupid. Just enjoy the good games doesn't matter the company behind.

The gamepass cult and Phil Spencer cult are the most embarassing thing on game market nowadays. They look like that guy with a bible trying to show u the "word of Jesus".

MS-Xbox is the company that most actively promotes the console war through its media terminals (Tom Warren, Jez Corden and its magazines, etc...), Spencer with its references to Sony or Greenberg and its army of PRs on Twitter, The best thing they could do is keep quiet because they couldn't be more hypocritical and cynical.

PbAlvGD.jpg

🙄

Sony is at least as bad. You’re just far removed from it because all the senior leadership is in Europe & Japan. And MS is entirely NA

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Chief and XCapim (Xgrass), members of Xbox Milgrau (Thousand Degree) along with Microsoft executives. Xbox Milgrau was the most toxic channel that ever existed, even losing several lawsuits for slander and defamation. They attacked minorities, insulted women, and rallied their online gang to launch attacks against people they didn't like. They even ran a campaign to spoil The Last of Us 2 at launch.

They did this for years.

Do you know when Microsoft cut ties? It was when they made (another) racist joke, but this time it was during the George Floyd protests.

Everyone started messaging Microsoft, asking if they weren't going to do anything, and Phil immediately realized it would look very bad.

jbtPoWi.png
z3iW1ZE.jpg
o0buw.jpg

Top Bottom