• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies on PS5 but decided it's worth more as an exclusive

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
lol it would be funny if Sony had one of their insanely talented studios develop an exclusive space epic

Wasn't there a leak of a Sony space Sci-fi game last year? Even gameplay glimpses had leaked. Not sure which Sony studio it was made by though.

Fbh

I mean, yeah that's how exclusives work.
I'm sure GOW Rangarok or Tears of the Kingdom would have done very well on PC/XBOX too.

Stop saying "all they care about is your money" as if it's true of every corporation. MS will shovel money into a fire because they want something else.

But it is true for every corporation.
MS will shovel money into a fire.....if they believe doing so will ultimately give them more money than what they are burning.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Starfield was always going to sell the most on PC with longer legs thanks to the modding community. Microsoft is wrong about it selling spiderman numbers on the playstation. It is a PC game through and through

Justin9mm

I've said it before, but the smart move will be for Xbox to wait for it to be a banger and then release on PlayStation. If the game is legit good of course.

I've said it before, but the smart move will be for Xbox to wait for it to be a banger and then release on PlayStation. If the game is legit good of course.
Wouldn't be a bad idea for a new IP. Sony or Microsoft release the first game on both, but the sequel is exclusive.

I know if something like Dark Souls had been exclusive, I'd have bought a console just for it after playing Demon's Souls. Without that though, I probably would have shrugged it off.

Of course, I just buy all the consoles at launch anyway and hope for the best.

Ozriel

M$FT
The real irony is that you were absolutely nowhere to be seen in the other MS thread where people actually provided the proverbial receipts about MS shills/astroturfing and "general tactics", I suppose the thread hit way too close to home for you.

Listen, I'm being serious here, I've already mentioned that you're incredibly transparent in your ways many times before, people already know where and when you're going to show up and what you're going to say/do, if that doesn't tell you anything I don't know what will.
Maybe try to lurk instead of doing the usual.song and dance/PR defence force 'cause it's gotten almost comedic, you're almost at Senjutsu Sage levels lately.

Of all the fanatic people in this forum, you should be the last at throwing digs.

90% of your post history is basically defending a multi-trillion company.

I’m truly sorry, I have no idea how to help you. You devote a lot of effort into typing up these predictable epistles and digs at me and I really couldn’t care less about you or them.

I have three scenarios:

1. Starfield falls outside of the top three (in NPD numbers), but the number of new GP subscribers grows substantially
(the expected outcome)

2.Starfield is in the top three, and GP subscribers has an amazing growth as well.
(the best outcome).

3.Starfield falls outside of the top three, and the growth of GP subscribers is not as significant
(a less desirable outcome press the panic button)

All depends on how good the final game is. If it meets quality expectations, it’ll be a Platinum seller on Steam, and top Xbox charts.

Lots of sales monsters in 2023. Hogwarts, Zelda TOTK, FIFA, Spiderman and COD. We’ll see.

TrueGrime

It’s not going to sell even close to a tenth of that on the XBOX alone for the obvious reasons especially since it’s on Gamepass, so I guess most of the sales will have to come from the PC.

It was both #1 on Steam less than an hour after the Direct and also the $300 editions have all sold out between Xbox/PC. If people are thirsty, like myself, they will fork over money to upgrade the Gamepass standard edition to the Premium Edition to get the game early, the DLC, and In-game skins. Knowing that people play Bethesda games for more than a decade thanks to both PC and console mods, a lot of people will sub for this game for however long, and if they don't want to sub for years, they'll just buy it.

Field

How many copies of Redfall did they expect to sell on PS5 before they decided it was worth more as an exclusive?

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If someone wants Starfield on the PC (or Xbox) WHY would they sub to Gamepass to get it?
Assuming they are NOT a member of Gamepass, they would just buy Starfield like they purchase any other game (MS exclusive or not).

I don't see the GP growth numbers here. I see folks who are already Gamepass members downloading Starfield, and I see folks BUYING the game on steam (to avoid the Windows Store).

I don't see a scenario where someone is a mid to hard core xbox player that DOESN'T have Gamepass. I don't even play my xbox and I have had some form of xbox live since the early 2000's and migrated over to GP ultimate when that became available.
Unless the number xbox consoles is 15X (arbitrary number here) the number of active Gamepass subscribers where is this glut of new subscribers coming from and what is the winning number for Xbox here?

How can they afford to keep making "StarFields" if they don't drive a significant number of sales & Gamepass? That monthly Gamepass stipend isn't for just one game, we assume they apply it to the pool of developers they have. On top of that if you BUY Activision blizzard and make their games available on Gamepass you are losing what sales you had from those players (if the overlap includes Xbox fans that BUY activ/blizz games). I guess the income from the other consoles would cover the cost of the acquisition (not outright costs...but like the SG&A shit)?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GamePass is $204 a year. Can we stop calling it free?

Game Pass starts at $59.99 a year for Core.
$120 a year for PC.
$130 a year for Console.
$204 a year for Ultimate which covers both PC and Console.

Your information is incomplete, please correct it if you're going to post game pass prices in the future.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Buying publishers and turning multiplatform games into exclusives is the right thing for the industry and gamers.

AnnualElderlyCutworm-max-1mb.gif

It was both #1 on Steam less than an hour after the Direct and also the $300 editions have all sold out between Xbox/PC. If people are thirsty, like myself, they will fork over money to upgrade the Gamepass standard edition to the Premium Edition to get the game early, the DLC, and In-game skins. Knowing that people play Bethesda games for more than a decade thanks to both PC and console mods, a lot of people will sub for this game for however long, and if they don't want to sub for years, they'll just buy it.
I see. I know Steam/PC owners will buy the game, but I have my doubts that the game will sell well on the XBOX because most XBOX owners don’t buy and support games. Gamers like you and I are the exceptions of course, but we’ll see what happens when Starfield comes out. Maybe this will finally be the game to break the trend.

Last edited:
Nature of exclusives.
MS is banking on consoles sold and increase GP userbase.

Considering this is an SP game, it easier to recoup those costs, unlike MP game which contains MTX.
but is ms banking on people like me 'buying' it for the price of a month's worth of game pass?...

Yeah I shamelessly paid the $35 to upgrade my GP version to 5 days early, put in for 4 PTO days, and feel great about my decision. I don't normally preorder anything unless there are particular circumstances, like getting TOTK for $50 through the voucher program, or getting a discount on the Mass Effect trilogy that I knew I was going to buy anyway.

I'm a fucking whore for BGS RPGs, I know it, they know it. 5 days early?
shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Kumomeme

it still on pc right? so unless it is didnt launch on both platform on same day, it wont move the console sales much

diffusionx

Gold Member
theoretically the only way this equation would work is if it drives so many people to the Xbox platform, which Phil Spencer said it would not do even if it was an 11/10 game. They might want to run those numbers again.

Starfield was always going to sell the most on PC with longer legs thanks to the modding community. Microsoft is wrong about it selling spiderman numbers on the playstation. It is a PC game through and through
This is a silly thing to say, they have been selling lots of games on console since Morrowind.

I remember a lot of people said Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 would chart high in most regions.

Halo Infinite failed to chart in the Top 20 NPD 2021 and Forza Horizon charted at #20 for that year.

Both games were out of the charts in 2022.

The narrative of “GP makes users buy games” seems not to be true.

The case could be the same for Starfield on Xbox Series consoles.

adamsapple

This is awesome. We have come a long way from Game Pass is only $1 to Game Pass is only $59.99 a year. I will say one thing for MS, they have always been good at spinning a narrative.

The $1 is a trial for new entrants for a month. Stop falling for forum-made narratives, I guess ?

Last edited:

yurinka

Imagine if it ends up selling less than that on Xbox.

oh boy dunk GIF
Make sure it will less than that on Xbox since most of the people interested on it will play it rented on GP. And I assume that a majority of these GP users who will rent it won't be on Xbox.

Last edited:
Source: https://news.yahoo.com/xbox-expected-starfield-sell-10-144156712.html

Dang, maybe this game will be big enough move some units on its own. This is indicating a much bigger launch as we get closer to release than any previous Bethesda game except maybe Skyrim.

LOOOOOOL!!!!

On a third-place system that is giving the game away for free on their subscription service? No one on Xbox or PC GamePass is spending actual money to buy this. There's zero chance the game sells as much as Oblivion.

reinking

Gold Member
The $1 is a trial for new entrants for a month. Stop falling for forum-made narratives, I guess ?
You mean like discussing Game Pass being $59.99 in a thread about a game that will not be included in that tier? :messenger_winking:

You are correct, Game Pass does start at $59.99 and that will be the new narrative. You just proved that. It was smart for MS to finally absorb Gold into Game Pass to push GP numbers up and to be able to push that price point in marketing.

peish

i think is a miscalculation and they have time to port it to ps5 next year. i did not see xbox selling so poorly coming and neither did ms back when they made this bet

adamsapple

You mean like discussing Game Pass being $59.99 in a thread about a game that will not be included in that tier? :messenger_winking:

You are correct, Game Pass does start at $59.99 and that will be the new narrative. You just proved that. It was smart for MS to finally absorb Gold into Game Pass to push GP numbers up and to be able to push that price point in marketing.

Yes, but the "Game pass costs $204 a year" comment is a disingenuous talking point regardless of the new Core tier. The most common game pass tier, which will get all games, is $120~130 on PC and console, even lower when converting from a lower tier to a higher one.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yes, but the "Game pass costs $204 a year" comment is a disingenuous talking point regardless of the new Core tier. The most common game pass tier, which will get all games, is $120~130 on PC and console, even lower when converting from a lower tier to a higher one.
receipts-whitney-houston.gif

bender

What time is it?
What splits ? there's nothing in my post about splits, it just lists the common tiers which will get all the games and their respective prices, which are a lot less than $204.

You asserted what the most common tier of Game Pass is without know what it actually is. Thus me asking for data to back that up. We know the what the subscriber base was roughly 25 million in 2022. We know that console subscriber numbers had stagnated and the PC Game Pass was the largest growing segment. I don't think we know what the splits are.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It isn't about splitting hairs, it's about being precise with your words. Enjoy your shilling.

The wording and its meaning was easily understandable. Besides, if you want to continue splitting hair, Phil has said not too long ago that they're seeing the most growth on PC Game Pass, so bereft of a percentage breakdown, it's still easy to see which tier is the most common one.

Anyway, I wish next time you also call out the lack of preciseness from posters misrepresenting the services price. Cheers.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Doesn't seem like the smartest decision. How does the developer earn their keep or remain safe? How does the developer justify the results and loss of expected return on investment. Or is MS just so carefree with money, they will take the blood bath. Meanwhile in Hollywood, losses like this tank studios and franchises. Certainty the budget for this game far exceeds that of an expected gamepass title. Hopefully the game does well on PC with the mod community carrying it. Maybe it's a tax write off.

bender

What time is it?
Phil has said not too long ago that they're seeing the most growth on PC Game Pass, so bereft of a percentage breakdown, it's still easy to see which tier is the most common one.

I already posted this in our conversation. Further, fastest growing =/= most common. We have no idea what is the most common.

Top Bottom